Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
owl milk
what should i do?

with parents. we're going downtown today is there anything we should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain No-mates

visit forums poster: harime nui

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
You're able to live the dream of the 90s. Enjoy.

owl milk
hello anime person im something awful forums poster "haam" also known as owl milk guy and this is my famiky

Captain No-mates

Haam posted:

hello anime person im something awful forums poster "haam" also known as owl milk guy and this is my famiky

i know 2 things about portland: a lot of bridges and harime nui lives there. i got NOTHING

Diqnol

Try to soak in the local vibes and bring them back to wherever you normally live. People LOVE this.

FluffieDuckie

here's what i know about portland: boil the water b4 you drink it

hth

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

FluffieDuckie posted:

here's what i know about portland: boil the water b4 you drink it

hth

hipsters drink it before it's cool. lol

owl milk
ate a #donut

Pinche Rudo

Grab some voodoo donuts, check out Powell's books, hit up the Deschutes Brewery for lunch. Rent some bikes to get around faster, Portland is super bike friendly. I've almost moved to Portland twice haha

circ dick soleil

by zen death robot

Haam posted:

what should i do?

leave

owl milk
Powell's is cool but these prices are reminding me why i buy ebooks

poverty goat

drive to washington and smoke weed

Eye of Widesauron

There is some beautiful hiking to be had around there and the Eugene area

Pinche Rudo

Mt. Tabor is cool for a light hike/walk. The hills in Western Portland are also good. You could drive east on 84/30 and check out Bridal Veil Falls and Multnomah Falls which are only 30 mins outside of portland.

owl milk
Already hiked up Multinomah, that was fun

cuntman.net

i was in portland last weekend we just missed each other

owl milk
srry i dont fraternize w/ ghosts

Pinche Rudo

Haam posted:

Already hiked up Multinomah, that was fun

If you are planning on an early Brunch, you have to check out Pine State Biscuits. If you can't get there when they open then get take out and eat in a park or something. I think they opened a new, bigger one in Southeast Portland.

owl milk
might do that tomorrow, just gonna do food trucks today and going to Marikesh tonight

Solid Poopsnake

by Nyc_Tattoo
slugs

Pinche Rudo

I was not terribly impressed by the Portland food trucks, but to each his own. Are you planning on checking out any breweries?

owl milk
parents are payin so im just going with what they say. would love to go to a brewery are there any you recommend?

Pinche Rudo

Deschutes, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Upright Brewing, and Basecamp are all good. there's so god damned many and most are pretty good other than bridgeport so you can't really go wrong

owl milk
as long as they let minors in cus my little bro is 15

Pinche Rudo

The ones with restaurants will

usernamecooper

by Lowtax

Colonel Wood posted:

Deschutes, Hopworks Urban Brewery, Upright Brewing, and Basecamp are all good. there's so god damned many and most are pretty good other than bridgeport so you can't really go wrong

HUB probably has the best food, IMO. Although Deschutes has a really decent elk burger.

Screen Door (Burnside: if you are OK with the legendary wait).
Blue Star Donuts (SW location: not Voodoo; that is gross).
Off the radar places that are seriously wonderful:
Miss Delta's Cafe (N Mississippi)
Produce Row Cafe (SE Oak)
Grain & Gristle (NE Prescott)
Jam on Hawthorne (SE Hawthorne: seriously great for brunches)
Tasty & Sons (N Williams) or Tasty & Alder (NW)
Thai Noon (NE Alberta) or Pad Thai Kitchen (SE Belmont; the name is pretty much an FU, yes we serve pad thai)
Podnah's (NE Killingsworth)

For places to visit:
Japanese Garden (SW)
OMSI (SE)

There's a Gallery Row in NW to tour, and includes the Contemporary Art Museum.

For walking neighborhoods outside SW/Pearl: Hawthorne and Alberta. Great shops, great people watching.

deep dish peat moss

Go to that Trapeze bar downtown called Sky(something) it's really weird. The one with the "NO OPIUM SMOKING" sign inside

owl milk
update: moroccan restaurant is delicious as gently caress will post pics later

Drunk Driver Dad
hey im only about 3 or 4k miles away from you now haam. small world.

joke_explainer

I live in Portland. Other places that are good:

Tapalaya: Serves creole and cajun food small plates style. Basically everything is great. If their gumbo that night has oysters or crab in it, try the gumbo.
Bamboo Sushi: Probably the best sushi in town. If they still have Aura King on special make sure to get some of that.
Trifecta: Simple small plates style place, but really good stuff. One of the best burgers in town. Their bread is baked in house and shouldn't be missed, Ken Forkish is an amazing baker. If you don't go here, go to either Ken's Artisan Pizza or hit up his bakery.
Bunk Sandwiches: Basically everything is good here.
Apizza Scholls: Haven't been here for a couple years but was the best pizza I've ever had. Can be a crazy wait. Last time I went it was 2 hours.
Laurelhurst Market: Skip the dining room and just get a sandwich here when the sandwich shop is open.
Dove Vivi: Cornmeal pizza. Kind of overrated but if you're into that kind of thing it's good.

You're going to be here for the weekend, so you'll want to get brunch. Brunch is a big deal in Portland. Places to get brunch:

Bare Bones Cafe: Pretty delicious and not overly stuffing.
Broder: Swedish breakfast.
City State Diner: A good standby when Screen Door is too crowded, it's just like four blocks away. Nothing really amazing.
East Burn: Another standby for the screen door is too busy, they offer an unlimited mimosa kind of deal.
Jam on Hawthorne: Go here if you have dietary restrictions.
Pambiche: Cuban place, I like the steak and eggs breakfast and the cuban hash. They use to serve free pastries with breakfast but stopped. Do not get the chorizo scramble. Not as good as the other things. Empanadas are excellent.

Screen Door: The wait will probably be terrible. If you go alone, it's about 0-30 minutes wait on the weekends. With a group of 4 or more, at the worst times it could be an hour and a half or more. Get either the fried chicken or the huevos rancheros for brunch. The huevos is the staff favorite.

It is a city full of things to eat. There's a lot more. If you're in the mood to drop a couple hundred bucks, Beast is an amazing dinner though they're probably booked up for the weekend. Noble Rot has really good cocktails. No owl milk on tap as far as I know, though.

joke_explainer

I hope the morrocan place you went to wasn't marrakesh. That's a franchise.

usernamecooper

by Lowtax

SecurityDrone posted:

I hope the morrocan place you went to wasn't marrakesh. That's a franchise.

OP: please post all places visited on your tour de force in portland
(it's a little known fact that the largest past time in portland is talking about living in portland, i.e. places visited and impressions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo

The elk burger at deschutes is really loving good I got that with sweet potato fries last time I was in town. Unfortunately it'll be a couple of years till I can probably move to Portland but I plan on settling down there. My long term goal is to get a job at Nike and make the move.

• Locked thread