Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Australian politics and current events text flowchart:

A. [thing] happens, go to B.

B. Is [thing] good or bad? For "good" go to B, for bad go to C.

C. Kill you are self. :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nibbles141 posted:

This speaks enough volumes about Australians to be in the OP

As an american Abbott puts me in mind of a crueler and possibly dumber version of GWB.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

:cawg:

Well, you all know deep down that they want to privatize the whole thing entirely, yes? Well, lets see how that would work out... Ok, about 108k for the environmental systems degree. But, well, everyone must bear the burden in this budget crisis. Tony feels your pain. :laugh:

adamantium|wang posted:

Drug testing people on the dole Jesus loving Christ :suicide:

As a proud american, let me say: You're Welcome. :911:

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 1, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Can't wait to see the cost:benefit analysis on that.

The money "saved" by lower dole payments would be a fraction of the cost of employing people to do drug tests on a regular basis.

Also :bravo: on placing the emphasis once again on only the jobless. Why not the pension? Why not people who receive negative gearing? School kids bonuses? Super concessions?

Don't worry, it would waste millions and millions of dollars. Noted sub-human filth and Florida Governor Rick Scott tried to implement the same moronic scheme but luckily the federal and supreme courts said ":lol:NOPE" and he has only managed to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on pointless appeals.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ewe2 posted:

It's quite bizarre really. The strategy to hold back until they get a Senate to work with is unravelling. It bears out the belief among a few of us that they got the royal ride of their life from the media pre-election and never thought that far ahead. Why didn't their PR/lobbyists of genius predict the roadblocks? I get the sense that the sensible people got ignored in the rush to be libertarian heros; is discipline just an Opposition thing now?

They really never did think beyond getting themselves into power, all that is behind their strategizing is sociopathic animal cunning, nothing deeper than that. You're watching a bunch of criminals panic and ransack the place as fast as they can, of course they're disorganized.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

You're a thread late.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Burning to death: Preferable to what the Australian government does to refugees.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The video was linked upthread too.

It's worth posting twice though.

Congratulations Australia, I'm pretty sure ol' Tony is the most internationally famous PM you you guys have ever had. No doubt he will be the face everyone in the international community thinks of when they think of Australia for years and decades to come.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Actually, wasn't this posted in the last thread? Still pretty great though. and tragic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

You Am I posted:

lol of course the US would still have Debtors' Prisons.

You can get tossed in jail for contempt of court if you refuse to pay court fees or court imposed debt(such as child support payments) and can't prove to the judge that you can't pay. A lot of these sorts of cases get thrown out on 14th amendment grounds.

We're not talking about being jailed for credit card debt or whatever. It's like saying that a country has debtors prisons because they jail people for refusing to pay their taxes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I like the speedo over the shorts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ler posted:

Guess which one of the world leaders at the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landings couldn't stay awake and had their sleeping arse plastered all over FrenchTV, CNN, BBC and Sky on live TV?

It's pretty obvious that um... well sh*t happens sometimes doesn't it? :australia:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

This post has attracted the greatest load of retards ever knocking Abbott. None have the brains to work out his sincerity and policies.

Can you people tell me where Labor improved our economy please? NO ONE else has come within a bulls roar. The FACT is when Labor came to power our Govt Net Debt was $39B in the black, today its $256B in the RED, this is a turnaround of over a quarter of a Trillion Dollars. The die hard Labor people scream they saved us from the GFC, BULLSHIT. By Wayne Swans admission on Treasury figures it cost $60B, half of that was WASTE with the BER, Bats, failed Green schemes etc. So they had that in the bloody Bank left by Costello so where the hell did a quarter of a Billion dollars go. Look, one thing I would like to point out is no one has any idea of what a BILLION is in value.

The new Adelaide Hospital is going to cost $1.8 Billion and take a zillion years to pay for it. The largest ship in the world, the Oasis of the Seas cost $1 Billion, The Denmark to Sweden link cost a staggering $4 Billion, the MASSIVE three Gorges Dam cost $23 Billion. The twin railway tunnels under the Swiss Alps going for the last 12 years is up to $10 Billion, what the gently caress did Gillard and Rudd do with Quarter of a Trillion Bucks in SIX FUCKINGYEARS? Its a HUMOUNGEOUS amount of money.

I :love: you youtube comments. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ler posted:

And the winner for most misleading title once again goes to News Corpse

(Abbott is giving Obama, a native of Hawaii, a loving surfboard)

Wow, the headline, paper and man pictured are all offensive and stupid. Congrats guys, a trifecta!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tony really seems to be adopting the "Wreck the place as much as possible before we get kicked out." strategy doesn't he?

Incidentally, I was telling someone about Tony's hilarious antics earlier and I had a slip of the tongue and called him "Tory Abbott", how correct is this? :haw:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

As are men, therefore equal rights which if i'm not mistaken is one of the goals of feminism. I don't remember the Suferagettes or Reclaim the Night holding placards saying 'Equal Rights Now! But With Exceptions Based On Hoary Old Patriarchal Notions of Feminine Delicacy!

Ahahah, so real actual health issues caused by pregnancy are now "Hoary Old Patriarchal Notions of Feminine Delicacy", but I'm guessing that is only true when it serves your argument.

P.S. Go back to the MRA pit from whence you came and :vd:.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Maybe everyone can get jobs checking up on whether everyone else is applying to forty jobs a month? :newlol:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Night Shade posted:

With the budget cuts to centrelink? Not likely. Unless they decide to retask the green army.

Where did I say these would be paid positions? They can just be an additional requirement for receiving welfare. Hey, actually wouldn't employers of low skill labour be interested in such a program too? Hmmm, now for a name... Any ideas? :laugh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

ewe2 posted:

By request

We need a :queensland:

Just edit the background of :ancap: to the queensland version of the union jack.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I still remember what the asylum seeker in that article by the NYT said when told about the way they would be treated by the australian government:

"They wouldn't do that, they have so much over there, human beings don't treat each other that way!"

:smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Hey now, I went to a Catholic high school and turned out just fine. It was run by Jesuits and the bible classes were optional.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I must have been lucky to go to a Catholic school where all the religious stuff was kept strictly in the bible study classes. In fact students themselves could opt out of that class even if their parents wanted them to go. I remember an incident where some parent showed up and started shouting at the staff in the main office about her son not going to bible studies. Eventually the principal came and talked to her and told her that the school refuses to force religion on an unwilling child.

I guess Australia has more in the way of fundamentalist Catholicism?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

TheHeadSage posted:

The Government is so desperate to "Stop the Browns" from reaching our shores, that they've denied visas to the family of the asylum seeker who set himself on fire, so that they could attend his funeral over fears that they'd use the opportunity to claim asylum.

I'd say something about scraping the bottom of the barrel but I'm pretty sure they're boring their way to the mantle* at this point.

*the mantle contains hot, delicious zyklon b showers for the refugeesuntermensch.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Did you know that many people on welfare have refrigerators? The sheer gall of them! They should have naught but rocks and sticks! :torysay:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/24/angus-campbell-believes-australia-is-consistently-generous-with-refugees

What a shock that a man whose job is to murder or facilitate murder thinks that not murdering is the height of compassion.

Come on man, Australia is seen as reasonable and generous in its treatment of refugees! I mean, the refugees coming to Australia think they will be treated pretty well! How could a nation with such wealth and prosperity not share it with a minuscule number of people fleeing crisis and genocide and simply hoping to find a place where they can live, work and hope for a life without the constant specter of death hovering over them? It's impossible for human beings to be that cruel! :suicide:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

Ahahahaha so we are literally disappearing children now. gently caress this loving country.

Someone should loving disappear Scott Morrison, preferably with a large, blunt object.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

open24hours posted:

Christ Labor why do you even exist?

There are only so many positions in the Liberals and eventually people will turn to the alternative choice regardless of the policy that that choice represents, so good old pursuit of power is why.

"To what end?" What do you mean? Power is an end unto itself after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I didn't know Orwell was still alive, let alone writing books!

• Locked thread