Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If anyone here hasn't tried malagueta sauce, you owe it to yourself to find a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

TheAardvark posted:

ok so this is going to sound ridiculous but like a year and a half ago i bought some secret aardvark hot sauce and it fell in to a weird spot in the back of my fridge and i forgot it existed, and it's been open back there this whole time (cap on). anyway do you think it's still good?

From Secret Aardvark themselves:

quote:

Thanks for asking! Since Secret Aardvark is made with fruits and vegetables, including tomatoes and carrots, we recommend refrigerating after opening and consuming within three months. That’s the time period during which you’ll get the full flavor we aim for, and you won’t have to worry about mold (unless you’re dipping food directly into it, which we seriously don’t recommend).

Personally, I'd inspect it per that link (smell it and look at it). Mold will be obvious, but it's equally likely that the color will have simply darkened and the flavors (especially the heat) will have dissipated. Or if it's easy to get, just replace the bottle. It is your namesake after all :colbert:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I've never tried raw habanero, what's the problem with that post?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What everyone's thoughts on Secret Aardvark? My grocery store just started carrying them (or I just noticed it for the first time) and I finally finished off my current bottle of Humble House. Is Aardvark relatively flavorful, or is it just all heat and nothing else? They had a few different ones available, I want to say the habanero and a serrano sauce.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cimber posted:

Lets just say that...if you eat a ghost make sure you wash your hands well. If you don't wash your hands well, make sure you don't idly scratch your nuts 45 minutes later.

Just wear gloves. It's easier and more reliable.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I might try the chipotle one. The habanero one is just a bit too hot for me to use on a regular basis. But I need to get through a couple other bottles I have on hand before I start adding to the collection.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Pioneer42 posted:

An article came up today with some depressing interesting information on further commercial hot sauce consolidation, condiment competition, and branding. Mostly on-topic for this thread since Frank's and Cholula are rather popular here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2022-mccormick-franks-cholula-hot-sauce-supremacy/

I, for one, will go down kicking and screaming clutching a bottle of Tabasco family reserve.

Ehhhh...there are enough small/specialty/local hot sauces that it's not difficult to just avoid the major names altogether. Of the sauces I've bought in the last year, probably the most prominent name is Crystal. The biggest challenge is going to be keeping shelf space in grocery stores, but it's in their best interest to stock more than just McCormick products.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

iospace posted:

Where can I get some?

https://karmasauce.com/

Looks like they have limited distribution in most major markets - you'll have to check their site to see if anything is near you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

After a couple recommendations in this thread, I picked up a bottle of Matouk's Calypso last night. Goddamn this stuff is good, highly recommend if you can get it easily.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Has anyone here tried the various Matouk's sauces? I have the Calypso currently and it's just a little too hot for my tastes - but the flavor is awesome. Unfortunately, I can't see to find a comparison among them anywhere online. I can also get their Salsa Picante and Hot Pepper Sauce locally - are either of those as intensely fruity, but with less heat? Or does anyone have a recommendation for a fruity hot sauce that isn't as hot as Calypso?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Human Tornada posted:

I think the Salsa Picante and Hot Pepper Sauce are the same bottle? I'm pretty sure that one is hotter than the Calypso. I've tried the West Indian Hot Sauce and from what I remember it's milder but doesn't have quite the same fruit flavors of the Calypso. It must not have been very memorable because I went back to the Calypso even though it is a touch too hot for how thick it is.

This is exactly how I feel - it's too thick to add it to a lot of things, I'm thinking I'll start mixing in a bit of honey and start using it in limited quantities as a marinade for chicken. I love the flavor but I wish the heat were turned just a bit down.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Human Tornada posted:

Mix it with a healthy amount of yellow mustard and mango puree (or honey) and a lil melted butter (if that's your thing) for an unbelievable wing sauce

Looks like I'm buying some wings next week, this is an excellent idea. Thanks!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rationale posted:

I grew too many reapers what do

Make ice cream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Jehde posted:

Went to a hot sauce store to pick up some more secret aardvark, told they're having issues with the supplier trying to get it into Canada.

First sriracha, now secret aardvark. :negative:

Supposedly it's more of a canadian regulation issue rather than a crop failure shortage issue. So they could sort it out in theory, but then there're issues of renegotiating supply deals, which seems to be the real sticking point. It could come back eventually, but these core sauce shortages suck. Gonna have to pay too much for a bottle off amazon or something.

Huy Fong isn't a crop failure issue, it's a greed issue. Underwood Ranch was the pepper supplier for Huy Fong for years and since the two companies have cut ties, UR now makes their own sauces. Not available in many stores currently, and I have no idea if they ship internationally, but it's worth looking into.