Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Article in Deadspin today about Carolina Reaper eating contests and the world of peppers. https://deadspin.com/conquering-the-carolina-reaper-requires-self-deceit-mi-1834153829

I love hot sauce and spice, but man does that not sound like fun. Happy those guys found their bliss, but uhh, that's really intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just opened my first bottle over the fourth to toss wings in. It's really hot, but I also think the chipotle flavor throws people off. Not that chipotle is a rare flavor but it's pretty heavily smoked and yeah isn't the most amazing flavor. Heat wise a friend dipped her finger in a small drop, wiped off a quarter on the back of her hand and then tried half of the smear, and we had to get her water for a few minutes. I think it's quite hot myself, definitely get up and walk around, but didn't cause me to cry or snot (what a lovely image).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ended up fermenting a bunch of jalapeņos, garlic, and a serrano or two for a week and a half, then blended it up with cilantro and scallion. Was really nice, a bunch of people raved about it at the tailgate we hosted. I like the idea of combining ferments with fresh stuff right at the end, gives things a nice flavor.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ogarza posted:

Much improved this time

However many peanuts and arbol peppers you see in there, about 4-5 garlic cloves, fried in olive oil

Blended with water, more oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, 2 raw cloves of garlic, 2-3 cloves (sticks), salt.

aww hell yeah

Spicy, garlicky, creamy, and slightly tart.

What'd you do to improve it? Looks amazing though.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a pound of habaneros from the farmers market, any fun hot sauce recipes that you've had success with? Current plan is to ferment with pineapple and garlic for 1.5 weeks then blend with guava, but am open up better ideas.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I usually am at the 5-6% salinity myself when fermenting. I work by weight not volume so can't say based on that recipe, but I'm surprised how much salt you can use and not have it be over salted (personally).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've always had a ziplock bag filled with the same salt percentage as the brine sitting on top keeping the peppers under the water, and then cover that with a lid. It's worked well for me, no issues with anything growing other than occasionally a small amount of kahm.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

scuz posted:

Finally cracked it and very happy with the results after some tinkering. Left to right, two-week jalapeno and garlic, one-week jalapeno and garlic, and eight-day fresno garlic. Same strategy for each, 8oz of peppers and 20g of garlic go into a fermentation jar, drain and rinse after fermentation is complete, equal parts by weight veggies and white vinegar go into a blender, whiz 'er on up, put it through a food mill, put the juice back into the blender, add 1/8t of xanthan gum per cup of juice, put in fridge. Tastes awesome, love it.

Looks great and I appreciate your mixing of imperial and metric units haha. I'm curious how much pulp gets left behind when you pass it through the mill? I generally haven't been straining when I've made mine do everything gets blended up together.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I really have enjoyed secret aardvark habanero and yellowbird serrano at the less spicy end of things.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just trained Painapple, though not from Fuego box. It's quite good, the reaper is really nice and you get some wonderful sweetness from the honey and the pineapple. It's nice when you can find some sauces that really let the pepper come through. Not that more complicated ones are bad, but it's nice to really get that pepper.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure it's aged in barrels for a while, dunno if it's fermented though.

e:fb

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Really interesting to hear about the Aka Miso, it's the only one of theirs I've had and I really love it. Makes me think that those others are must trys then, I'll see what's available near me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

N'thing Hearthbreaking Dawns, I like the Cauterizer but all the sauces of theres I've had have been great. Otherwise I just bought a bottle of High River Sauces Rogue Moruga Blood Orange Scorpion and it's really nice. My partner and I really like the Bravado Aka Miso as well.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just tried the mad dog 357 sriracha, it's quite good! I had it on a pita with a bunch of other things but the flavor came through nicely but wasn't overwhelming, which to me is the sign of a good sauce. Taken by itself it's a little hot but did great with food. I'm excited to try it on noodles.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Jeza posted:

Thanks for the suggestions (and I did check out Wiltshire Chili farms and they looked good, but I felt the sort of brand exotic factor made Hot-Headz seem like the better gift choice).

I went for:

Bravado Blueberry, Heartbreaking Dawn's Cauterizer, Bravado Pineapple, Angry Goat Dreams Of Calypso, High River Sauces Rogue Moruga Blood Orange, High River Sauces Hellacious Hot Sauce.

Couple of the other suggestions that looked good were out of stock unfortunately. And I dodged the ones that looked like pure murder for now because I don't want to kill an old man who mostly dabbles with Cholula. Maybe one day.

I did kinda find it surprising that nowhere really sells what resembles a chunky gift box. Like, max 4 small bottles. Maybe there just isn't a market for it and I'm just weird. Feels like a faux-fancy 6 bottle mini-hamper of curated sauces would be a pretty good shout for somebody to offer, but I'll just make it myself.

Awesome! Great choices all around, report back when you get them, it should be a fun time!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

scuz posted:

My GiRlFrIeNd got me a bottle of Da'Bomb cuz I'm an insane person. I tried half a teaspoon of it and was dying, but I was honestly expecting LESS flavor from it based on the hot ones interviews.

We've a bottle and I always found it flavorful, just bad flavor.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

fizzymercury posted:

I have an extremely bad habit of eating a bottle of Scorpion pepper Tabasco in like a week and a half. Is there another sauce that hot that tastes good around? I'm getting bored and I've had a bad streak of buying terrible sauces.

I'm not sure how hot the scorpion tabasco is, but sauces that are about as hot as the black garlic I really like are Fiya Fiya and the Dawnson's Sichuan Ghost Pepper one.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

On food yes! It's not the total buzzing you can get from very heavy sichuan food, but I've found it a nice note in it. It is spicy though, I'm not sure how it rates but definitely not something that's mild.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Similarly, one of my favorite experiences is introducing it to my girlfriend for the first time. She looks at me quizzically at first and says I don't feel anything? Only to have her exclaim that someone turned her still water fizzy. It's a great, unique flavor and I love introducing people to it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

a foolish pianist posted:

Got a heatonist order with a bunch of thread recommendations yesterday:

The Fiya Fiya and the szechuan ghost pepper are real standouts, hotter than the others and delicious. The citrusy notes, especially, really make the szechuan sauce awesome. The black garlic is tasty with eggs and polenta, and the the mushroom habanero went really well a frittata I made yesterday.

The Detroit bourbon habanero is also quite nice, again with frittata. Thumbs up all around.

Awesome! Great haul and I'm glad they hit the spot for you.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I like Fiya! Fiya!, it's definitely hotter than I expected, but I think it has a nice flavor to it's punch.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My go to for way to hot but tastes amazing is Painapple. It's a pretty simple sauce, but delicious. Very pepper forward.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Jhet posted:

Yeah, I'm going to pasteurize them all with my immersion circulator for at least an hour at 150F/66C. They're all around 3 pH though, so there's not much worry for spoilage of the fermented ones so long as I keep the O2 out. The caps are really only good for 12 months, but they'll be gone by then. The yellow bag was taut like a balloon yesterday, so I figured I shouldn't leave it too much longer.

How do you pH test? Strips? Or do you have one of those electronic ones.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We had our first garden (just north of you in San Mateo) last year and grew some amazing peppers, a shocking amount really. We got four plants, jalapenos, habaneros, cayennes, and Carolina reapers. Legit we had so many peppers. The habs and cayennes in particular produced so much I had to get pretty creative in what I did with them. They were hot too, the reapers in particular were spicy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Discussion Quorum posted:

And of course, I took no precautions when cutting these "mild" peppers and had napalm hands for the rest of the day, even after many rounds of olive oil and dish soap :v:

Baking soda + hydrogen peroxide rubbed on your hands can help. When I stupidly skinned and partially seeded 35 pounds of hot and very hot hatch peppers this summer it was the only thing that really helped them not feel like they were on fire.