Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I've got an entire deep freeze full of habeneros and need to figure out what to do with them. I usually dehydrate and crush them because one gallon sized ziploc full of them reduces down to about half a shaker full of crushed dried peppers. The problem is that I have a small dehydrator that can only do about a gallon worth at a time (8-12hr process) and I seriously have like 8-10 gallon sized bags from this year's harvest.

I'm thinking about making some hot sauce or pepper jelly and wondered if anyone here knew of some good recipe resources or ideas to get rid of an insane amount of orange habeneros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
As for the hot sauce topic:

My favorite "put on anything" hot sauces are Sriracha and the Mayan yucateca sauce that's brown and tastes smokey.

I'm not a fan of any sauce that says capsaicin oil or extract as it is pretty much just like eating mace and is more of a novelty than a condiment. I usually look for ones that have pepper or carrot juice as the main ingredient. I usually also stay away from vinegar sauces.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Flaggy posted:

I had the same problem last year. This year its going to be carolina reapers and scorpion trinidad peppers. Anyways here is what I did with my habs last year.

Strawberry habenero hot sauce (this was incredible)
Palisade Peach and Habenero hot sauce
Peach and habenero jelly.
Pineapple and habenero jelly.

If you want recipes let me know, I have them at home and can post them. I can't stress enough how incredible the strawberry hot sauce was.

That sounds amazing and I have two bags of strawberries frozen fresh from spring.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Squashy Nipples posted:

This might be a retarded question, but... how is it that Ghost peppers naturally taste smoky? Without being smoked?

That's the flavor of your tastebuds melting away. :supaburn:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

evilmiera posted:

Just got an order in for myself and a few buddies. Sadly it is stuff most have already heard of like daves insanity, blair and ring of fire bottles. I miss the days when I would order bottles just from looking at their cool labels.

When I was a little kid in preschool and hated veggies my grandfather showed me how he would put Louisiana hot sauce on them to make them taste better and ever since then I was the little kindergarten kid asking the lunch lady for hot sauce.

My family found out I loved hot stuff from an early age and so pretty much every birthday/Christmas gift was some form of hotsauce when I was growing up. I had an entire fridge door full of them. It was always cool finding a new label or sauce that nobody has heard of and there are still some that I wish I could get back again from small local producers.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

unknown posted:

If you like Melinda's, then try for some of the Marie Sharp's (aka original Melinda before the Figueroa Brothers screwed her and stole the name and recipes).

Marie sharps is really good. My mom did some work in Belize and brought back a large sampler pack of marie sharps marinades and hot sauces that didn't last very long. If I remember correctly that habenero sauce's main ingredient is carrot juice which imo is one of the best bases for hotsauce.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

straight up brolic posted:

Dave's Insanity sauce lives up to the name. I couldn't hear for 10 min after dabbing it on a rib.

Yeah I'm not a fan of extract sauces like that, just feels like you have bad sunburn in your mouth. I do like the little blurb on the bottle about using it to strip grease off the driveway lol.

There are a bunch of hot chicken places in Nashville that are absolutely delicious but most of them if you ask for the hottest heat level will just put a few drops of capsaicin extract in the sauce. As someone who has a freezer full of habeneros and loves heat, those sauces are just novelties and end up being super painful in your gut in the middle of the night at like 2am.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Khablam posted:

If a major ingredient is vinegar, you're fine.
Beers / wines can go bad but not unsafe, a certain percentage of the alcohol becomes vinegar by bacterial respiration and then tills the bacteria, making it taste yucky but sterile.

I thought they could only go bad if they were opened. I have brewed beer in the past and left a 6 pack for over a year and it was like 50x better than the others I drank.

I wouldn't worry about the hot sauces if they were mainly vinegar and had never been exposed to open air. I have had some pickapeppa sauce go bad before because it's mainly sugar and started growing mold months after being opened.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

katkillad2 posted:

Took some of the suggestions and bought like 6 bottles of hot sauce, the one that really stands out is this:

It's smokey, vinegary and the perfect amount of heat... easily my new favorite hot sauce. Is there anything similar/better or should I just continue buying this stuff for the rest of my life?

It's amazing. Also all versions of their habenero sauce are the best imo. Not a huge fan of the nuclear green and candy red colors.

I usually keep at least 2 bottles of the xxx hot Mayan sauce at home so I never run out.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Squashy Nipples posted:

The mango pickapeppa is SO good, too. Almost no heat, but great on practically anything that works with sweet flavors.

Yes, it is pretty darn good on some pork tenderloin.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

katkillad2 posted:

Merry Christmas to myself.

Got it on Amazon, less than half the cost of the tiny bottles per ounce!

Do want.

I always wanted one of those big glass gallon jugs of chipotle tabasco but they are pretty pricey.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Jose posted:

i bought the black, xxx and green yucatuan sauces and the green is by far the nicest

Green and red are basically the same thing just with different food dyes so you'd probably like that one too if you can find either.

The black and xxx are really smokey. They also have a carribean one that's more habenero flavor and fruity without the smoked/aged pepper taste.

I also got a sampler pack from datil-do-it from a co-worker for Christmas and most of them are pretty tasty but mainly just vinegar. Their Port Au Prince sauce is a really good vinegar-based mild habenero sauce.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Missing Name posted:

It's good for my roommates who are largely intolerant of spicy. Plus, yeah, it's cheap and has decent flavor.

Anyone else like Scorned Woman? I remember I first tried it when I was like 10 and stuck with me since.

Scorned woman is pretty drat tasty. I had it when I was really young too and I remember it tasting really good but being too hot to use regularly.

I got a bottle of 95% pain sauce in the fridge at work and I'm going through it rather quickly. It's got a good sweet flavor to balance the heat of the habeneros.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

wormil posted:

I put dried habenero in vinegar to make a spicy vinegar for whatever. They reconstitute and I assume the peppers are safe pretty much forever as long as they are submerged? I don't refrigerate it and I'm still alive.

You should be fine but be careful when preserving things for long periods without first pasteurizing. My grandmother would keep a jar of peppers and just boil new vinegar and pour it in piping hot to refill.

http://www.nwedible.com/how-not-to-die-from-botulism-what-home-canners-need-to-know-about-the-worlds-most-deadly-toxin/

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Comb Your Beard posted:

Next growing season I'm keeping it simple and just buying seeds from Burpee.

I get all my seeds from this dude:

http://www.fataliiseeds.net

Awesome selection and ships really quickly in an envelope so it doesn't cost much for postage.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

evobatman posted:

Can a hot sauce expert explain something for me?

I bought some Daves Insanity Sauce. Half a teaspoon of it in a 1qt / 1 litre casserole makes that dish burn like hell and barely edible.

However, the same amount of sauce spread across two burgers made them pretty hot, but not unbearable.

I love hot sauces and regularly use skotch bonnet based and other pretty hot sauces, so I like the burn a little more than the average person, but not like the people who specialize in the super hots.

The casserole likely had a bunch of oil in it to spread the hot sauce into every bite.

Same thing with pepper flakes, if I put habenero flakes on a sandwich or in hummus it's not nearly as hot as putting the same flakes in a soup or stew.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

angor posted:

Pain 100% is awful. Zero flavor, just hot. It's not anything like the other Pain sauces which are really good.

I think 90% or 80% pain was the version I had last and it was one of my favorite sauces in recent memory. It's pretty hot without being extract-dangerous and had pineapples and habeneros pretty high on the ingredient list.

Is the 100% just too hot to enjoy or do they actually change the ingredients/flavor?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

CommonShore posted:

I have a bunch of hot peppers planted. I'm tired and working with another gardener on this, so I can't remember exactly what kinds - there are some chillies and some habanero-shaped-but-not-habaneros of some kind too.

I want to make some hot sauce, but I'm not sure how to handle it when my peppers aren't all ripening at once. Any strategies? Should I hang them to dry? Should I freeze them? Throw them into a brine? Tell me, thread! FWIW they're only seedlings right now. I'm just thkning ahead.

I usually freeze them as they ripen then use a dehydrator when I have enough for a batch to turn into powder/flakes in a food processor.

I've got three types of Aji seedlings started this year (Aji Rojo, Aji Crystal, and Aji Bravo) and some wild chiles called quintisho.

Still haven't experimented with sauces although the past several posts about making a pepper mash sound really promising and I have access to a juicer at my house. Might make a carrot juice base to use with my habeneros.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

The Midniter posted:

Nah, but when you cut them open to use them, peep the insides. I've had peppers mold from the inside out before.

Yeah it sucks, they mold on the inside but look great from outside. I had to toss out so many when dehydrating.

I've got some really old ones saved (like 4 years) and they're still fine. If they aren't sealed properly they will slightly re-hydrate and turn super hard but I haven't seen any visible mold.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Suspect Bucket posted:

That's what I sent to my secret santa. It's quality stuff!

Speaking of which, my guy got in a new supplier of affordable alligator jerky. So hopefully my next secret santa will get that under their tree ;p

And god drat I need a saturday off so I can go to the local market and pick up my new favorite vinegary sauce. This is my JAM right here.

http://banddsauceco.com/

:eyepop:
Gator jerky! That sounds awesome.

Gonna have to order a bottle of that B and D now to give it a try.

http://southernjerkyco.com/ these guys have some great hot chicken jerky and jalapeño Yazoo beer beef jerky. They're like a few blocks away from where I work so most of my friends got sampler packs for xmas last year.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

http://www.commissarybbq.com/products/bbq-sauce-hot

Wish this stuff was available to order alone without needing to buy other items because it's some of my favorite sauce and for $5 it's definitely one of the best. It's in pretty much every Memphis grocery store and I usually stock up when I'm back in town. Makes some awesome BBQ grilled chicken.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Doom Rooster posted:

Ignore the annoying branding, but this is pure unflavored capsaicin. It's expensive, but will last you basically forever. I use this to fine tune heat when I have gotten the flavor profile of what I am making to where I want. Sounds exactly like what you want.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Pure-Evil-Capsaicin-Drops-p/hsc-pure-evil-drops.htm

Lol those suggested uses are insane.

"Ever wonder what spraying mace into your beer would be like?"

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup! They know their idiot target audience.

I loving love the stuff though in very small doses. Put a single drop in a full bottle of Crystal, and it's still the best flavor of any Louisiana pepper sauce, but actually has a tingle of heat. Two is about right. Three is legit hot sauce.

Julio's fresh Salsa is the best tasting store bought salsa I have ever had, but even the "HOT" literally doesn't even tingle. 3 drops of Pure Evil, and it's salsa nirvana that will make your scalp sweat.

It's BEST use for me though is chili. My fiance likes a little spice, I like a lot. I can make a batch that is perfect for her, then just toss a single drop into my bowl and it's perfect for me.

Edit: I used to use "Pure Cap" and extolled it's virtues here too, but it definitely had the cap extract taste, and had a habit of sticking with the oil in a dish and rising to the surface so you got an uneven heat. This stuff has zero flavor and mixes in perfectly.

Sounds good! Not a fan of the extract taste so that one sounds palatable at least.

The only time I've ever put myself in gastrointestinal distress was with extracts though. I can eat fresh peppers with little to no issue and I have a ton of dehydrated habenero flakes that I put on just about everything.

Had some Nashville hot chicken a while back and got the hottest heat level and I could tell it was just a few drops of an extract on the chicken. I woke up at like 3 in the morning feeling like I swallowed molten lead while sweating profusely.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're using extracts, make sure you're the one applying it and that you know how much is being added. Overdoing that stuff is a recipe for puking a fireball in the middle of the night.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

QuarkMartial posted:

Whose hot chicken? I have a suspicion about a couple of places here in Nashville that use extracts instead of peppers.

It was pepperfire. Only reason I suspect they had extract is because they look entirely identical to the "hot" except they are slightly more bitter and it had no extra pepper flavor, just heat. Felt like my mouth and lips were sunburned lol.

:supaburn:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Sure, I get that. But the question isn't so much "why did the pepper flavor override the entire dish" and more "why did the pepper flavor / heat ratio change", if that makes sense.

Pretty sure when you cook with peppers they lose some of their heat. I know if you throw them in a pan and breathe in the steam it's like being pepper sprayed so there's got to be some residual capsaicin that evaporates with steam. Seems like they only really retain their heat when it's in a sauce or something oily to trap the capsaicin in. Not sure why the flavor would change though.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Missing Name posted:

My coworker makes hot sauce and has a challenge. Take a spoonful and try not to drink anything for 10 seconds. She uses scorpions and scotch bonnets.

Of course I'm going to try it.

Trip report: I pooped magma

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

COOL CORN posted:

I guess the sauce killed Jmcrofts. Would love to hear how it is!

Folks, what are some good foods to put hot sauce on for people who don't eat meat? I know about eggs, and burritos of course, but I feel like there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.

If you eat any sort of greens without some form of hotsauce you are doing it wrong imo

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Doom Rooster posted:

So my last ghost pepper harvest of the year is about to come in. I should have 8 more by the end of next week. I'm looking for ideas of what to do with them.

I've already made a pretty straight forward roasted red pepper, carrot, garlic, onion, cider vinegar general purpose sauce that is awesome, but wanna go a little different for the next batch(es). I'm trying to balance "out there" flavors with being able to pair it with a lot of stuff. Coffee/blueberry sounds neat, but I'm not imagining that it will be a great match with most of the stuff I cook.

I'm open to splitting the 8 into 2 smaller batches, since the last 9 made 12 bottles that were all pretty darn hot, even with all of the seeds and veins removed. The only thing that I'm leaning towards right now is a garlic/mango/(blood)orange that would go well on a bunch of stuff.

Any thoughts goons?

You should make a small batch of mango/(blood)orange/ghost pepper jelly imo. Sounds really good.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Unfortunately the entire hot sauce industry spends too much time coming up with elaborate versions of "MAGMA rear end in a top hat RUINER DEVIL XXX" to describe a pretty depressing amount of similar vinegar + cayenne based hotsauces.

Scoville units should be a standard across the industry. You don't buy beer that has a little cartoon slider of how drunk you'll get when you have one, there is a specific amount of alcohol printed on the side.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or just establish an objective, repeatable, cheap way to test capsaicin levels in peppers and pepper products. A pico de gallo made with habaneros isn't going to have the same heat as a raw habanero eaten straight, and my basic ghost-scorpion sauce is not as hot* as a pure mash fermentation of those two peppers would be, purely because of the additional ingredients.

* still hot as gently caress, and the flavor is incredible. I'm still putting together a list of seeds to buy for next year, but I'm about 90% settled on at least these:

Ghost
Scorpion
Scotch bonnet
Habanero
Thai

And probably those long spindly Kung Pao peppers from Pepper Joe's. I think it's a C. chinense variety.

That too.

I had bad luck with scotch bonnets for some reason a few years ago. Pretty much all other varieties I've tried have grown fine but the bonnets kept dropping flowers off after they were pollinated and I ended up with two off the whole plant.

Fatalii.net has a ton of really unusual and interesting pepper seeds for sale. He's got more species than most other distributors and I've never received a mislabeled seed.

Rareseeds.com has a few cool ones but I've had two packs from them in the past that contained mixed up seeds.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

iospace posted:

Also, is Secret Aardvark worth 14 dollars shipping :psyduck:

It's on prime at amazon I believe.

I want to try it bc this thread seems to be heaping on praises but the picture of the bottle on amazon has a "recipe" for adding hot sauce to beer. :catstare:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

iospace posted:

How hot is it?

About as hot as their xxx mayan habenero sauce and a lot more smokey flavored.

I think the green and red are the exact same thing just with different food colorings.

It's probably the hottest one they offer. One of my go to favorites.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I wish Zaxbys sold their insane sauce. It's one of my favorite vinegar based sauces and it's super hot for fast food.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Discussion Quorum posted:

Cholula on eggs was one of my go-to breakfasts for a long time, but I recently bought a bottle of Valentina Extra Hot (which isn't actually all that hot) and it has basically replaced all Cholula/Tapatio/etc style sauces in my life.

What's a good entry point into habanero-based sauces? Right now I just use Valentina as my general purpose hot sauce, Crystal for beans/Louisiana foods, and Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, so I'm missing something in the fruity/zesty category. I can take more heat than what I've got in the pantry but I'm not really ready for :piss: levels of heat either.

Melinda's XXX and Marie Sharps Habenero are both pretty awesome habenero sauces that aren't too hot. I think both have carrots as a base so they are a bit sweeter without being fruity sweet.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

QuarkMartial posted:

Those are good, so is Secret Aardvark's.

Melinda's is a pretty close sub for Crystal. It's chunkier but similar to me.

Wish it was locally available. I'm gonna have to get a three pack off Amazon.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Valentina is my favorite cheap regular sauce, but Cholula and El Yucateco make the best variants. Cholula Chipotle is my most used sauce at all, Cholula Chili Garlic is very good - bright, tangy, slightly hot; sort of like Nando's peri-peri. El Yucateco Kutbil-ik is my favorite pure hab sauce ever, it tastes super fresh and fruity.

:same:

This plus some home-made chiles in oil with shallot and garlic from my neighborhood Asian grocery store are my go-to staples.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lao Gan Ma (aka Spicy Chili Crisp, aka 老干妈, aka Angry Lady Sauce) is one of the best Sichuan condiments and goes really well on a lot of things.

Our very own Gravity84 has a good recipe for it here.

Yes that's the stuff. Thanks for posting the recipe, definitely going to make some of my own now.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What’s a good, relatively cheap ghost pepper sauce that has a flavor besides heat? I have a bottle of the Island Pepper Company stuff that I got for 3 bucks. It’s not bad but it just tastes like hot. I want something that I can put on some pretzels or something. I have ghost pepper mustard, which is tasty but not really ghost pepper hot.

Melinda's Naga Jolokia is pretty good if you're looking for flavor. It's got a lot of heat but quite a few fruits and other flavors to make it a bit different than your usual "tastes like vinegar and pain" variety of ghost pepper sauces.

Pretty sure you can find it on Amazon.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

pim01 posted:

I did the same today - 16 scotch bonnets, couple heads of garlic and mass of coriander. Turned out great, not too hot but very tasty!

Heads up for future reference, cut open all peppers before using them because many can look amazing from the outside and be totally moldy inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

WhatEvil posted:

I love El Yucatero hot sauce but I'm still not sure about having it again since they found really high levels of lead in it.

I know this was a while ago, and El Yucatero say they tested some of their sauces and found no lead, but they would say that.

https://grist.org/food/lead-in-hot-sauce/

I'm also a bit paranoid about foods from places like China because their food safety standards etc. aren't as good as ours in the UK and I'm sure I've read about high levels of heavy metals in Chinese foods too.

Thoughts?

Bring on the lead poisoning, that mayan xxxtra hot yucatero is the best.