Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

HortonNash posted:

That's a direct declaration of war on News International. I don't expect them to support Labour, but doing what you suggest is akin to poking a tiger in the eye with your cock.

That's exactly the kind of attitude that NI get their power from, the idea that any feeble statement, no matter how mild, could be seen as an attack on NI and thus provoke negative headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
Can we not consult ASAB for a ruling on this "protect are boys" legislation?

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Lords are conservatives, proper conservatives. Not reactionary right wing pieces of poo poo. So while they might slow down or attempt to block a lot of progressive reform, they've utterly shut down a lot of alarmingly undemocratic poo poo the tories have tried to pull, and the tories know that forcing through violations of human rights against public will and legislative process is a step they can't take.

The ASBO reforms were terrifying and swept through commons with ease, before Lords decided to tell everyone to gently caress off and let them have tea.

Downside: they spend government time and money arguing about how they havent got enough free food.

I see the argument that the Lords act quite well as a cork to stop parliament making GBS threads on everyone continuously, and that still doesn't really address the issue of why they aren't elected.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Fluo posted:

Not everyone is perfect, even the proler than thou types. You agree with the good and disagree with the bad. This can be godwinned pretty easy which I'll do it myself I guess, Hitler banned smoking in public places which is good. Hitler killed million of jews, blacks, homosexuals, mentally ill, disabled, trade unionists, Jjehovah witnesses and so on and so on. Hitler banning smoking was good, pretty much everything else he did was evil. This is the extreme.

But in day to day less extreme world, everyone has different opinions on different subjects. If there was a political party for people with 100% same views there'd be 30million political parties in the UK (one or two people will 100% agree but they tend to be weird borg).

Dawkins when on the subject of the field he spent most his life working in, is spot on alot of the time. However when he goes outside of field or goes abit more political atheism he starts to ramble. He's an old man and sadly we're very likely to end up seeming like him. Prior to 140 character twitter, you wouldn't see everyones day to day brainfarts from old men. Imagine if Karl Marx had twitter and he was drunk tweeted about him sleeping with the housekeeper.

Or rambled on about some pet peev. I can't really get on with Dawkins personality but the work he has done in his field of science I love and respect.

Edit: Also having a lovely opinion doesn't invalid other opinions. It's a debate tactic used by both the left and the right and it's pretty dumb. Well unless you preach feminism but at home chain up your black girlfriend screaming cotton picker as you physically beat her up but that's just outright hypocrisy.

If you're interested in evolutionary biology, and science generally, then don't bother with Dorkins, try Richard Lewontin, whose excellent and very accessible marxist-based take on biology and science, "Biology as Ideology", is avaliable on youtube.

Dorkins at this point is clearly just a MRA born 60 years too late. It's his twitter ramblings that have exposed him properly, though going back and reading his books in a different light throws up all kinds of stuff you might not have paid attention to before.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Fluo posted:

Politics and science shouldn't mix*. It can fog your judgement and make you a bad scientist (on both sides of the fence).

*Political science is different to Science.

His point, in the first video, is that they are fundamentally inseparable and acting as if they aren't does you no favours. In this regard, he is a much better scientist then Richard Dawkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Fluo posted:

That is a dumb statement though, I'm not the biggest fan of the army but someone has to do it. Or would you rather bring back conscription?

Has to do what? Last time the army was necessary to stop people getting overrun with fascists was coming up 70 years ago. Since then what have we "had" to do?

• Locked thread