Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

How do you keep kids from skipping school? Make the little buggers and their families starve.

quote:

BBC education correspondent Gillian Hargreaves said she understood Mr Gove wanted to deduct money from child benefit if parents refused to pay truancy fines.

Mr Gove said: "Critically, we need to tackle the root causes of truancy and misbehaviour.

"Children only have one chance at education. We can't let them miss out on its transformative effect.

"We need to ensure every child is in school, benefitting from great teaching in every classroom, every school day.

I agree with Mr Gove; children only have one chance at education: make sure they come out wealthy people's vaginas. I swear there used to be several chances for everybody regardless of their household income, including free higher education and free/affordable adult learning. I might just be misremembering things, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

tentish klown posted:

Or, you know, just go to loving school. How about that?

Maybe we should look at the reasons why some kids aren't going to school?

For example, one woman I know is constantly getting threatened with fines for her son's truancy. He is truant so he can watch his younger sister because their mother has to work hours that don't allow her to do it herself and doesn't pay enough to afford childcare.

A friend has a kid that bunks off because he is being bullied, and nothing gets done about it. I myself used to bunk off for the same reason. I also bunked off an English class because my teacher rarely turned up and when she did we'd do busywork and not learn anything. I got a part time job instead of wasting my time.

How would taking money away from these families improve anything? How would it incentivise those with truant kids to make sure their kids get to and stay in school, thus missing out on their own jobs (or mandatory jcp appointments)?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

tentish klown posted:

Does this mother not know anyone better suited to looking after her child other than her other child (thus compromising his education at the same time and ensuring a cycle of dependence)?

No; she doesn't.

quote:

You used to bunk off school to get a part time job - did it pay more than the £20/week that child benefit gives you? In which case, what's the problem?
No, it didn't.

quote:

As for the case of bullying, that's obviously an instance where the school failed and is very sad. However, it shouldn't be a valid reason to not attend school.

Yes, it is.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

LemonDrizzle posted:

AFAICT, it wasn't a council estate - it was owned by a private company ("First LBS Holdings Ltd.") before Benyon bought it. Not sure why the previous owners were charging such astonishingly low rents for the area.

Interesting to note that it's in a constituency that has never been a Tory seat. If he'd tried this in Newbury there probably would've been some backlash when it came to the elections.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

A Sloth posted:

Defend are Youths against Rolf Harassment

This made me laugh too much.

Also I feel dirty because I actually used to talk to Rolf quite a lot and it sucks that he turned out to be a monster :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

How did you come to talk to him quite a lot ?

When I lived in Maidenhead (about a decade ago) I worked in a shop that he visited every week. He said he liked me because I didn't fawn over him every time he came in like most people in shops did (this pissed him off, apparently, he had a reputation for being a grumpy bastard because every time people saw him they'd flock to him and do the whole "Can I help you with anything today, Mr Harris?" thing and he'd ask them to leave him alone). He'd come in and buy stuff then hang around for a chat if I wasn't busy.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 30, 2014

• Locked thread