Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Between the Jorah, Theon and Oberyn poo poo, I'm done with this show. gently caress it. If I hear that cool stuff ever starts happening again fine, but if I want to feel like this all I gotta do is go hang out with the junkies under the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If GRRM wanted to shock his fans, he would have had Oberyn win. From the second Oberyn said "I'm not dying today!" I knew with 100% certainty he was going to die. When he started winning, I knew he was going to die. When he actually did die, it wasn't emotional or impactful because of any good reasons, it was a storyteller being a literal sadist to his audience for no good reason. Oberyn could have been a great new cast member. He could have even written in some way for Oberyn to lose but still not die. Nope! SMASH THE BEETLE :lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know why people are assuming that Sansa is now smart and "playing the game" rather than the much more likely option that she actually has fallen for Littlefinger and his expert level game-playing. Look at Baelish from Sansa's POV rather than that of an omnipotent observer - to her, it looks like everything he's done pretty much for the entire time she's known him has been to protect her family or her directly. From hiding Cat in the whorehouse to saving her from King's Landing, you gotta figure that "creepy but protective uncle Petyr" is a miles better option than things like "loving Joffrey" (literally), which are what she has until now been presented with.

I don't read the books but it seems really obvious from a show point of view that Sansa has decided to just go ahead and throw in with Littlefinger as he is the only powerful person who apparently actually cares about her in any way at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sam won his fight with the zombie.

Why does that guy have plot armor thicker than Dany's skull?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theDOWmustflow posted:

Be honest, how many of you guys caught yourselves being moved by the father-son exchange between Ramsay and Roose. I felt like I betrayed the Starks for that brief moment I forgot to blindly hate the Boltons.

I think it's because Iwen Rhoen is such a good actor. Whenever he's not actually torturing people, it seems like he (and I) forget that he's probably literally the most evil gently caress in the entire show. Having watched Misfits definitely doesn't help because Simon was the best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think at some point Theon is going to just snap and murder everyone around him, regardless of who they are. In fact I was expecting that to happen when he started twitching inside Moat Whogivesafuckistan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just saying, if this "drowned god" doesn't literally rise up out of the sea and wreck some poo poo in the last season, it will be the biggest wasted opportunity ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't mind some kind of like "I'm not Theon. I'm not Reek. I'm loving NOBODY. And you...

...just got killed by NOBODY."

:smugdog:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ironlung posted:

I wonder how much of Roose's motivation to legitimize Ramsay was "you done good, son" versus "this kid is a loving crazy person and I'd rather have him as a devoted son/ally than resent me and eventually turn against me"

Have you seen how Roose looks at that kid? He knows. He KNOWS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Seriously, let's break this poo poo down

Old Gods: Trees or some poo poo
The Seven: loving worthless
Death: Rarely stood up
Lord of Light: Resurrecting dudes, shooting a smoke assassin out of a priestess's vagina

The Drowned God: So disappointed

Death: Came at the king, did not miss. :colbert:

The Seven seriously are the worst fictional gods since L. Ron Hubbard though, for real. If they ever do anything in-show I will be incredibly shocked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Littlefinger will somehow help Tyrion escape because of course he will. He's Emperor goddamn Palpatine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So even accounting for GRRM "realism" or "justice" or whatever you call it, who can we use metatextual knowledge to reasonably assume is safe for a while?

Characters who are sufficiently big deals and whose arcs have not in any way become anywhere close to finished so they are safe:

Arya
Dany
Stannis
Jon
Bran
Sansa
Littlefinger

Characters whose arcs could be considered finished but the way the show and press work are almost certainly not going away:

Tyrion
Jaime
Brienne
Cersei
Theon/Reek
Yara

Characters the story needs whether they have arcs or not:

Varys
Jorah
Sam
Grey Worm apparently (ugh)
Daaaaaaaario (maybe)

So, who is not on any of those lists?

Tywin
The Hound
Gendry (probably not dying though since what the gently caress man he's not even in this season)
Davos
Melisandre

Probably any of those five are next up on the Get hosed list.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

the posted:

-Ned Stark
-Catlyn Stark
-Rob Stark
-King Geoffrey

Rob and Joffrey's arcs were finished. Rob's was finished the moment he married for love, Joffrey's was finished when he was crowned king. It's not like anyone expected him to become anything other than a complete psychopath.

Ned Stark's arc was finished before the show even started. You might be trying to say his story wasn't finished, but that's not the same thing. Ned didn't even have an arc. And since we're talking meta-text, there was every reason to believe Ned wouldn't last very long; people may have been swerved because he died SO soon, but casting Sean Bean meant he was never going to finish out the series at least.

Catelyn? I don't think she really had an arc either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maarak posted:

Why does the story need them?

Varys is a walking Deus Ex Machina. He's probably literally a God in human form for all I know.

Jorah has served very little purpose and his sending-off serves absolutely no purpose if he just dies or is never seen again. Again, think metatextually.

Same with Grey Worm. There would have been no introduction of his ~love story~ if he weren't going to be around for a little bit. Otherwise it's just literally wasting screen time when there is an army of zombies and poo poo.

Dario hasn't really done anything yet but is a big enough deal to assume will eventually do something.

Sam has "done things" but they've been blundering. There is absolutely no reason for him to be alive or dead at this point, yet a considerable amount of screentime has been devoted to him and to making sure we know that his wildling waifu and adopted son are still alive. This is television 101 here, he's not dying any time soon because there is an obvious place for him in the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

xcore posted:

That's a little cynical.

-Rob never even got to King's Landing or even fought against the main Lannister force
-Joffrey was King from like Episode 4. That wasn't his Arc. His Arc should have been "fresh boy-king" to "king"
-How is "Ward of the North becoming Hand of the King and managing everything that comes with it. Being the "good guy" and overthrowing the "bad guys" not an Arc?" The arc had only just started, but it's still an arc.
-Catlyn - "find herself after losing her husband, search for her lost kids and groom her son to be king" sounds like an arc.

I don't think you know what a character arc is. Rob's CHARACTER arc had nothing to do with the war and everything to do with the way he lived his life - concluded by him saying "gently caress common sense, I love this girl". Arc over.

Joffrey having an arc is really a kindness on my part. He didn't have one at all. He was a mewling evil dick from start to finish and nothing suggested he would even have an arc.

Ned, I don't know, maybe? I'd have to rewatch season 1 to see if it was really a character arc or if it was just "things happening".

Catelyn, you also may have a point on, but it's a stretch since hardly any of it was taking hold and Robb dying killed a big chunk of what you're saying her arc would have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think Jon will be dying any time before the final season/final few episodes, if then. Same with Tyrion, to a lesser extent.

I'm not saying the story will follow conventional fantasy happy ending tropes, but that if it follows even the most very basic of storytelling notions, Jon Snow has to live to see how it ends. He survived being shot full of arrows, and maybe he gets the Jaime treatment and loses a limb or something, but I very much doubt he'll bite it even if the Wall falls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BubbleGoose posted:

This is almost inconceivable in the mind of a book reader. One problem as a book reader is that you develop a very personal attachment to the story as it is told and to your interpretation of that story. In a film/tv adaption, the slightest digression from its source, from the the choice of actor to the minute technical details involved in transforming words on paper into flesh and blood individuals, is like stomping all over the connection a reader has already established with the story.

The film of American Psycho is immensely better than the book. Doubly so for Fight Club.

Adaptations can surpass and transform their source material. If they're good, that should be their goal in the first place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hopefully before the show ends there will be a scene where Littlefinger, Varys and Dany just sit around have a :smug: off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Oh ok, well then I guess the Old Gods and the Lord of Light both do stuff, and it's the Seven who are lovely and useless. Still, it seems like the Lord of Light isn't the only god who actually does anything.

I'm pretty sure the Seven have literally never done anything, ever, and are just completely invented out of whole cloth.

Not sure about the Drowned God but who would make up a religion that hopeless?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SlipUp posted:

anybody else notice the part where Jaime admits somebody tried to molest him as a child then laughs? nobody acknowledged it at all and the scene went on as if nothing happened. :stare:

Where he says "Maester Whatever? He tried to touch me!"? I noticed, but Jaime didn't seem too bothered by it.

I mean, given what the show has shown us, that's pretty tame.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Away all Goats posted:

Davos believes in Stannis, that should be good enough for you :colbert:

Also anyone else in this show would have drowned a deformed daughter, not let her live and actually care for her.

Stannis is awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bobo the Red posted:

She looks like she has a skin disease. She could have gotten it recently. Westeros is hosed but there are probably tons of people not drowning their kids at the first sign of illness.

I may be wrong but I thought the show said she was born that way? And also, I was meaning "royalty". Like, Tywin let Tyrion live, but hates the poo poo out of him. Stannis likes his daughter. That puts him pretty high up on the list for me.

I doubt this show will have a truly "unhappy" ending (like the White Walkers killing everyone or someone truly awful sitting on the Iron Throne and all the good people dead). I think that someone reasonably decent will end up on the Throne. In my dreams it would be Jaime through some crazy rule-bending, because the irony of "from Kingslayer to King" is cool, though more realistic options are Stannis, Jon Snow, Dany, hell even Bran would work.

Awesome option: Gendry, with Arya as head of the Kingsguard :black101:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bobo the Red posted:

Also Jaime is decent now? Saying that, and then mentioning Bran in the same sentence is funny.

I feel like Dany is gonna get worse. She's not really decent; she means well, but so did the Mad King. so does Melisandre (seemingly).

Arya is a monster, and is only gonna get worse; the Kingsguard is far too peaceful for her.

Yes, Jaime is a pretty decent guy now. He sure did some awful things, but if you don't think he's a pretty decent guy these days between his chats with Tyrion and his downright suicidally noble treatment of Brienne I dunno what to tell you. Dude has grown up a bit.

Agree about Dany, I mean, yes she's batshit crazy but at the same time I don't see her being outright harmful in the way the Mad King was. At least, not until 20 or 30 years from now, well after the show is done.

I don't think Arya is a monster. She is just really hosed up. She still has a code, if she were really a "monster" she would have not cared about the Hound deceiving the farmer etc. She still thinks only people who "deserve" to be killed should be killed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hadn't given this much thought but I've just seen several bloggers/articles which seem to be convinced that Sansa "invited Petyr in" before she became Dark Sansa.

I think it's possible. It's possible whether she's playing him, whether she actually thinks he's looking out for her, or a mix of both. I remain unconvinced that she has suddenly become incredibly devious already though. She was still dumb as dirt just a few episodes ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oswald ownenstein posted:

Nah he's just running into a problem of having enough time to adequately resolve the series with all of the threads he's set up.

Based on how slow the last one was, if he tried to wrap everything up it would be horrible and unsatisfactory with lots of dangling threads or very weak resolution where suddenly everything happens at once.

I can imagine lots of ways to satisfactorily wrap up what's happened so far in the show, so what you're saying here is that we should brace for lots of incoming terrible sideplots?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Naive" is probably a better word than "dumb", I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oswald ownenstein posted:

I mean Dany still hasn't even marched on Westeros, Arya is still in the middle of her journey to whatever, Stannis is still in the middle of whatever, we don't have much resolution to the Mance Rayder thing yet, etc.

Sure, but I think 3 seasons would be more than enough to deal with all that. Look how far the first 3 took the characters (except Dany, who has still only really had about one good season worth of meaningful plot).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kevyn posted:

On the topic of spoiler threads, didn't :lost: have a spoiler thread? What was even in it, casting info and poo poo that got leaked?

I want to say that it did, and that it was mostly preview/casting/leaks. That show had a fuckton of leaks. Entire scripts got leaked.

e: in fact, didn't the whole last episode get leaked and people were like "No way, that is fake as hell"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Savage Cracker posted:

6 times a king beyond the wall has tried to invade the south! 6 times!

I really hope a bunch of zombies show up in the middle of the battle and kill everyone on both sides (except for Jon and Sam and Mance and maybe Ygritte)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ginny posted:

Has anyone shared this comic yet? It's awesome.

http://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

I really love how The Mountain looks especially, a lot more menacing with the helmet.

The scene in the show would have been a lot more interesting if they gave us the impression that Oberyn was actually making The Mountain upset. As a plebian show-watcher all the evidence leads me to conclude that The Mountain is literally retarded and doesn't even know what the gently caress he's doing. That comic seems to imply that there was a glimmer of understanding ("you're making my head hurt") and that he's not just some brain-dead rear end in a top hat smashing beetles.

Also, punching his skull to a pulp would have looked way less stupid than what we got.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alberto Basalm posted:

it takes 500 pounds of force to crush the skull like that, and the average male can exert 200 pounds pressing on someone's head like that, so I think Thor Bjornsson really could do that. I would pay to see him do that to a roast hog or something

I didn't say it was unrealistic, I just thought it looked stupid.

It may very well look stupid if someone did that to an actual human being, too, that doesn't change my point. I mean I fell off a porch and sliced my arm open one time, and it looked downright comical and fake, not horrifying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CapnAndy posted:

Nobody told her on-screen, but... Littlefinger pulled a knife on Ned in the throne room, was rewarded for his loyal service to House Lannister against the traitorous Starks, and hung out for another two seasons, all while Sansa was also there. How could she not know?

She's Sansa.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

rypakal posted:

No, Dany was 18 when the show started. And by Sansa's age progression it has been at least two years.

She got aged up more because of the nudity and rape

I thought she was 14 in the books and 16 in the show in season 1? I didn't think they aged her up 4 entire years.

e: also I just saw that if you give GRRM $10,000 for charity or something he'll "name a character in a future GOT book after you and kill them off in a grisly way". :eyeroll:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

That loving peice of poo poo!!!!

Dude I wasn't saying he was an rear end in a top hat for doing it, just that it's a pretty dumb gimmicky thing. Having it be for charity doesn't make it less dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't see what the big deal is, not like he's actually going to write anyway.

That's true. It seems like a safe bet that book 6 won't come out until the show is in season 6, if ever.

I think he's latched onto a really clever way of getting other people to essentially write the plot for him. He tells the showrunners the "broad strokes", they fill in the blanks, he novelizes it and gets another truckload of money. Kind of genius really.

• Locked thread