Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for May, 2014?
This poll is closed.
Daniel Bryan (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 46 31.29%
Eric Young (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.72%
:wiggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 18 12.24%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 10 6.80%
:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 55 37.41%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 6 4.08%
:kamina: Satoshi Kojima (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 2 1.36%
:douche: Nope, nuh-uh, no way (Uninterested Champion) 6 4.08%
Total: 147 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, Daniel Bryan ended Kazuchika Okada's reign as the winningest champion in PSP history, with his remarkable performances at Wrestlemania earning him a dominant victory (80% of the vote!). Okada held the top spot for a long time, but it seems time and less frequent title defenses finally caught up with him as he dropped to 4th in the poll last month. Still, nothing was ever going to be able to compete with the catharsis of finally seeing Daniel Bryan on top of the wrestling world celebrating a well-deserved victory after months and months of being denied or dismissed as only being "catchphrase over". But for all that dominance last month, can he continue to hold the top spot or is PSP already moving on to different pastures?

Remember, to be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG or Dragon's Gate haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion don't defends their belts, but where the Champions don't even make an appearance/make a promo about their title.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone:

Daniel Bryan (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - With his Wrestlemania moment behind him, Daniel Bryan found himself in the peculiar situation of having to remain the underdog that appealed to so many people while simultaneously being the undisputed top star of the entire wrestling world. On a personal note, it was a bittersweet time for Bryan who won the titles and got married only for his father to pass away and for him to be told that he NEEDED surgery in order to address "complications" with his neck. This latter aspect was incorporated into the storyline to help continue to sell him as the underdog battler, his nemesis at the moment Stephanie McMahon who offers empty platitudes about her "genuine" concern for his health while simultaneously trying to force or blackmail him into giving up his belts. On the wrestling side of things, Bryan took on Kane to mixed results, as they started a pretty neat storyline between the two which quickly derailed into a mess. On paper the story was simple - Kane attempts to get at Bryan by menacing Bryan's wife, Bryan beats the poo poo out of Kane. Unfortunately things got complicated (not helped by Bryan's need for surgery and required absence) by the unfortunate parallels between this storyline and an earlier one with unfortunate jobber Zack Ryder, as well as the fact that Kane came out of the Extreme Rules match looking like the winner despite the fact Bryan absolutely beat the poo poo out of him and got a clean as clean can be victory over him. People have overstated how poor the storyline has been, verging on the paranoid with claims this is part of a WWE attempt to "bury" Bryan, but it certainly hasn't been anywhere near the quality of what Bryan was doing in the build-up to Wrestlemania. Still, he is STILL the Champion and they seem to be making the best of a bad situation re: his neck, so maybe Bryan is still getting your vote this month?

Eric Young (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Eric "Daniel Bryan" Young placed second in the poll last month due to 8 people somehow confusing the bearded underdog fighting a demonic monster with Daniel Bryan somehow I wonder how that happened how weird. Luckily TNA isn't the kind of promotion to just blindly follow WWE booking, no no no that's not for them at all. No they are having their Daniel Bryan clone battle their Evolution clones instead! Perhaps that is unfair, but MVP/Kenny King/Bobby Lashly seems far too close a comparison to HHH/Orton/Batista to me, even the involvement of Ethan Carter III (Daniel Bryan's old rookie!) has the same air of "the Authority's chosen one taking on the underdog people's champion". To be fair, snooty snobs vs. common man is hardly a new storyline, and those who watch TNA regularly may disagree entirely and feel that Eric Young is doing something fresh, interesting or even standard yet still compelling. If you think he deserves your vote, then by all means give him your vote!

:wiggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Shinsuke traveled to America this month along with other New Japan stars for a very well-received co-promotion with Ring of Honor. Shinsuke took on Kevin Steen, a match that people greatly enjoyed, and which Shinsuke won. It was a rare highlight of his month though, as he and his CHAOS team-mates suffered setback after setback against the newly resurgent Bullet Club enjoying success under AJ Styles of all people. It didn't help matters that Shinsuke's big IC Title defense this month was against Daniel loving Gracie, the match being just as bad as literally every single person in the world figured it would be. It's not often that a Shinsuke Nakamura match is the worst on the card, but sadly that is what we got in May - but the Steen match was good! Maybe that'll get him your vote. Nobody will be voting for him based on the Gracie match though, that's for drat sure, and if you say you are, you're a goddamned liar!

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada is the Ace of New Japan, the long-running champion who just couldn't be beat no matter what got thrown against him.... until Yujiro Takahashi broke the hearts of the fans by turning on Okada, CHAOS and New Japan and helped the new leader of the Bullet Club to finally do what Prince Devitt could not - defeat Okada and take away his IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Okada has unsuccessfully tried to get it back and it may be a little while before he gets another shot, so after such a long stretch as Champion and PSP favorite it seems like this may be your last chance to vote for Okada.

:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - What a difference a promotion makes. AJ Styles spent the greater part of his career associated with TNA, and opinion on him shifted between excitement and optimism to despair and horror. Often misused or squandered, AJ became a bit of a joke (though never to the extent that poor old Samoa Joe did) and his grim final run in TNA where fans were "treated" to a bizarre mish-mash of Sting and CM Punk was hardly a highlight. And yet.... he shows up in NJPW and immediately makes an impact, attacking Okada from behind and declaring the champion was still nothing but a "young boy". At Wrestling Dontaku he defeated Okada thanks to assistance from Yujiro Takahashi and helped bring the Bullet Club a success they'd never quite managed under Prince Devitt's reign. Returning to America, he defeated Okada twice more in Ring of Honor, first in a tag match and later in a highly regarded Triple Threat that included Michael Elgin, "stealing" the victory after Okada had put down Elgin only for AJ to get the pin. Returning to Japan, Styles beat Okada again in another one on one match, though again he was assisted greatly by the Bullet Club, including Yujiro Takahashi. Technically speaking, AJ's matches have been excellent, and even if he may not be entirely accepted by the New Japan crowd there is no doubt he has spiced things up a great deal since he arrived on the scene. Yes the use of nWo catchphrases is kinda lame, but you would be hard pressed to look back over the month of May and say that anybody delivered the goods in-ring as consistently as AJ Styles has. It's been remarkable to watch, and though it may not have been enough to get your vote, I'll put it out there and say it was enough for me. Personally speaking, AJ Styles is my Champion of the Month.

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - Adam Cole continues to succeed in ROH, often overlooked due to the decline in interest that ROH seems to have had on this subforum over the last few months (which appears to have picked back up nicely with the return to iPPV and the co-promotion with New Japan. Defeating both Kevin Steen and Jushin Liger this month, Cole kept his grip on the title that many people thought would only be on the youngster briefly, but that he has continued to defend and retain over the last 8 months. He did lose his PWG title (a belt that only gets defended on average once every 2-3 months, and thus doesn't get included on these monthly polls) but whether that means anything about his ROH reign or not remains to be seen - for now at least, he's got the belt and nobody has been able to beat him, so does that get him your vote?

:kamina: Satoshi Kojima (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Kojima mostly fought in tag matches this month, including defending the NWA Tag Titles that he holds with Hiroyoshi Tenzan. But he did defend his NWA Title twice, once in Japan and once in America. Defeating Wes Brisco at Wrestling Dontaku, he also beat Jeremiah Plunkett at a NWA event in Tennessee. Whether the latter means anything to you I don't know, but Kojima is enjoying success at this stage of his career and keeps giving us an excuse to see Bruce Tharpe lose his goddamn mind, so that's pretty cool!

:douche: Nope, nuh-uh, no way (Uninterested Champion) - If none of these champions appeal to you, or you only care about seeing what the votes are, or if you clicked this thread by mistake and figured you'd cast a vote because why the gently caress now.... well, here's the option for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
AJ Styles had a decent title win, a great defense in ROH and a good defense last weekend. If you aren't voting AJ you are voting improperly.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

too sweet

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 1, 2014

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
AJ Styles too sweet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, AJ Styles has utterly amazed me with how good he has been and how he has revitalized my interest in the IWGP Title which had started to feel a little stale after Okada held it for so long. Nothing against Okada, but shaking things up has been a good thing for New Japan as far as I'm concerned.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Voted Okada cause that was the best title reign in years. Better than Punk's.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Voting Shinsuke Nakamura because he dragged something resembling a watchable match out of a Gracie and will continue to be the guy that gets good matches out of Bad Luck Fale. Plus he's still champion unlike Rainmaker. RIP Rainmaker title reign.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
<---

As cool as AJ's been.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Too Sweet me, AJ!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Let's be honest guys, If anyone deserves it, its AJ Styles. Unfortunately Daniel Bryan had kind of a bad match with Kane and was injured. Maybe if he keeps the belt and returns to action he deserves it but that's unfortunately not the case.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Expecting DB or Okada to get it due to general amazingness and the fandom towards them. So, instead, I am voting for the King of Strong Style, because that guy is loving amazing. BOMA YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Phenomenal One!

A!

J!

STYLES!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

KungFu Grip posted:

Let's be honest guys, If anyone deserves it, its AJ Styles. Unfortunately Daniel Bryan had kind of a bad match with Kane and was injured. Maybe if he keeps the belt and returns to action he deserves it but that's unfortunately not the case.

It's the "who's my favorite wrestler that's also a world champion" poll so it really doesn't matter, but I enjoyed a Kane match for the first time since I can remember and that deserves some kind of award.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Great White Hope posted:

The Phenomenal One!

A!

J!

STYLES!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s12SaTKGv9nj

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

It's the "who's my favorite wrestler that's also a world champion" poll so it really doesn't matter, but I enjoyed a Kane match for the first time since I can remember and that deserves some kind of award.

Daniel Bryan is my favorite wrestler who is also a world champion and I still voted for AJ Styles!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
To be truthful I voted for the champion with the best hair and this month that's not saying much. Note: Okada is not a champion and Nakamura is a fake champion.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

To be truthful I voted for the champion with the best hair and this month that's not saying much. Note: Okada is not a champion and Nakamura is a fake champion.

Somehow I knew you'd be the Eric Young loyalist.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Voted fighting champion AJ Styles.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, I never would've thought I'd vote for Styles in one of these polls but there's no doubt he deserves it this month.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Adam Cole BayBay

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Looks like we're still trying to recover from Miz devaluing our title.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Voted AJ. He's had great matches all month, pulled Bullet Club out of what could have been a death sentence with Devitt leaving, carries himself well as champion and just overall deserves it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Only one of these men was indirectly responsible for Bruce R. Tharpe's purple jacket, sorry AJ

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Where can I vote for Icarus?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Food Court Druid posted:

Where can I vote for Icarus?

Sorry, Icarus doesn't work for a promotion that fits into the monthly format of these polls. PWG, Dragon Gate and Chikara often go 2-3 months with no title defenses, no shows, and not even a promo from their champion.

That doesn't make them bad promotions or anything, it just means that the way they structure their timetables doesn't fit in with the format of a monthly poll thread. If there is demand for them at the end of the year they'll be included in the Champ of the Year thread.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Can't vote for Bryan, 'cuz he's been kind of hampered by bad storytelling and a feud with fuckin Kane.

I'll never vote for TNA if there are any other options.

Haven't watched ROH in ages, so I can't really judge Adam Cole (baby!)

Can't give it to Kojima because... reasons. Won't throw it away on an Uninterested Champion vote.

That leaves NJPW. I prefer giving it to a person who currently holds a championship, so I won't give it to the Motherfucking Rainmaker.

I won't give it to AJ, because how dare he take the title away from the Motherfucking Rainmaker! <:mad:>

So my vote goes to SWAGsuke KNEEkamura. YEAOH!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AJ holding a very narrow lead, still roughly another 3 days to vote so it could go either way.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Ricochet snubbed once again

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ChampRamp posted:

the guy who lost the belt on may 5th

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oatgan posted:

too sweet

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

masato tatanka posted:

the guy who lost the belt on may 5th

It was a great match!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Vote AJ

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 3, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: AJ and Bryan currently tied up at 40 votes a piece. This is going to be closer than I expected.

ChampRamp posted:

Jerusalem posted:

PWG, Dragon Gate and Chikara often go 2-3 months with no title defenses, no shows, and not even a promo from their champion.

That doesn't make them bad promotions or anything, it just means that the way they structure their timetables doesn't fit in with the format of a monthly poll thread. If there is demand for them at the end of the year they'll be included in the Champ of the Year thread.

Come on guys :(

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/AJStylesOrg/status/473879553438650368

AJ Styles deserves your vote, guys.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

i wish i can change my vote

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

i wish i can change my vote

You can, you just have to ask!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SylvainMustach posted:

Adam Cole BayBay
My man!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Too-sweet me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AJ was my original pick but I threw my vote to Cole because I've turned around on him even more this month than AJ. He's so good at the little things and I'm late to the party on him, but he's drat good.

• Locked thread