Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

buttplug posted:

That was one time I truly relished being an O. loving marching in Pensacola summer heat 100 yards and having to wait for every swinging dick to get in formation before you depart anymore? Yea, no thanks.

Could be worse though...when I was there, Army guys at their tech school (A-school equivalent) were doing heat acclimatization and walking around in full body armor with kevlar helmets and M4s...

I think a requirement of the army is that during tech school they do at least one field exercise (FTX they call it) in full kit and the week leading up to it is full immersion training so they wander around with all their gear and non-working m4s. It's really funny because they have to have battle buddy everywhere with them, even to piss and can't let their weapon out of their sight.

Although I haven't seen them do it in a while so maybe that got dropped. Either way the army somehow manages to be the shittiest branch to be in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I think a requirement of the army is that during tech school they do at least one field exercise (FTX they call it) in full kit and the week leading up to it is full immersion training so they wander around with all their gear and non-working m4s. It's really funny because they have to have battle buddy everywhere with them, even to piss and can't let their weapon out of their sight.

Although I haven't seen them do it in a while so maybe that got dropped. Either way the army somehow manages to be the shittiest branch to be in here.

It's not just here.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

Are there "real" subs? Is there a POG version of subs?
NR1 never carried weapons, but it probably did cooler poo poo than any fast boat or boomer.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
If you were separated due to "poor health" aka PFA failure, would you still be entitled to benefits as long as separation falls under "general"? or is "Honourable" the set in stone mark for these things. I have several overweight E-6 in my class arguing this point to death, and i'm feeling the need to be smug here.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hey guys i just watched Stealth and am thinking of joining the navy. how hard is flight school? thanks in advance!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

hey guys i just watched Stealth and am thinking of joining the navy. how hard is flight school? thanks in advance!

Why not SEAL? Or cook?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Why not SEAL? Or cook?

I thought that was the same school.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

TrialbyStone posted:

If you were separated due to "poor health" aka PFA failure, would you still be entitled to benefits as long as separation falls under "general"? or is "Honourable" the set in stone mark for these things. I have several overweight E-6 in my class arguing this point to death, and i'm feeling the need to be smug here.

Three-time PFA failures (in a four year period) are separated from the Navy with an Honorable characterization of service. Yes, they are entitled to benefits, and if they served 6 or more years, separation pay as well. If their failures are due to the BCA (weight control) caused by a medical condition, they are still separated, but the DD-214 will annotate that it was due to a medical condition. Otherwise, it'll basically say U FAT.

Edit: And if someone did end up with a General, they'd be entitled to nearly everything, including the Post 9/11 GI Bill as long as they had a prior period of honorable service (a previous enlistment). If they're a first termer and get out with a General, they do not get to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Why not SEAL? Or cook?

being a pilot will increase my chances of being accepted to the astronaut corps more than being a seal will

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

I thought that was the same school.

Under siege was a documentary from what I understand.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Joy.

Apparently i'm getting an automatic "Failure" for this last PFA cycle due to having the date fall smack in the middle of my transfer leave. Adding to this the fact that my previous command LOST my entire medical history on paper, and i'll be looking at 2 Fails within 2 years. Would really prefer not having "YOU FAT" as my reason for exiting military service.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
That's not right at all. You are waived from a PRT within 2 months on either side of your transfer. You can do your PFA at medical when you check onboard newcommand. Someone is loving you over.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

For those of you who have done time on a ship in the yards, where do the nobles house themselves when they can't use their staterooms? This may or may not be relevant to a set of orders I am looking at.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

For those of you who have done time on a ship in the yards, where do the nobles house themselves when they can't use their staterooms? This may or may not be relevant to a set of orders I am looking at.

Should have officer barracks and if those are not available they would put you in a nearby hotel.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ded posted:

Should have officer barracks and if those are not available they would put you in a nearby hotel.

On the Navy's dime or not?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

These for the contractors?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

These for the contractors?

Those are for duty personnel, iirc.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Do you guys also suffer some of the following symptoms WRT life or am I the only one and if so am I basically getting Stockholmed into this organization?

1. Feel like I can't relate to anyone outside Navy.

2. Whenever I'm not at work I feel anxious and nervous.

3. At work I'm stressed but it's the only place I feel like I belong.

4. Prospect of working a civilian job and building a family outside the military terrify me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Aren't you in like month 2 of school

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Yeah, I'm just bitching cause I'm surrounded by nothing but Navy for most of my waking hours.

Are people able to maintain civilian friendships as you rack up years of service?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah, I'm just bitching cause I'm surrounded by nothing but Navy for most of my waking hours.

Are people able to maintain civilian friendships as you rack up years of service?

Yes, yes I am.
I sure don't want to be friends with most of you sailor fucks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:douche:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

vulturesrow posted:

On the Navy's dime or not?

I know chiefs that were able to get it fully paid when this happened. Should be easier for a noble.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Howard Phillips posted:

I have one friend, would have two but me and Christoff mostly just cuss at each other in video games. Everyone else is a civilian (mostly because all of my friends that I made during A and C school got kicked out for one reason or another).

599 days til I get out of this poo poo show, and it might get hosed up because there's going to probably be a transfer of some motto rear end 2nd class to my clinic that just picked up. I don't think my "We're not in the real Navy because dudes in a hospital promote off of cookie sales and car washes" spiel won't work on this one. What do I do, shipmates?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There were officer staterooms on the berthing barges in Hawaii for ships in the yards. It's where officers slept on duty and a couple a bit more often than that.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

vulturesrow posted:

In 7th Fleet there is a berthing barge converted from some old amphib, the nobles use the old Officer Country on it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

There were officer staterooms on the berthing barges in Hawaii for ships in the yards. It's where officers slept on duty and a couple a bit more often than that.

And boy do they suck.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Stultus Maximus posted:

And boy do they suck.

the canadians here were bitching that the barge didnt have mattresses, they had to use the ones left on the mighty mo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

jesus christ you're a stockholm pussy. try not to kill yourself. Get a loving grip. You work navy. You live life.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

There is forreal an entire huge planet with alot of cool poo poo to do other than lament. If you hate your life quit and drift, you'll find something cool or die. Either way its better than waiting for miasma to claim you

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

TrialbyStone posted:

Joy.

Apparently i'm getting an automatic "Failure" for this last PFA cycle due to having the date fall smack in the middle of my transfer leave. Adding to this the fact that my previous command LOST my entire medical history on paper, and i'll be looking at 2 Fails within 2 years. Would really prefer not having "YOU FAT" as my reason for exiting military service.

We're missing something and so are you. As long as you do the PFA between Jan 1st and Jun 30th, it counts. Your command is loving you and you are letting them. Do some research and help yourself.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

poopkitty posted:

We're missing something and so are you. As long as you do the PFA between Jan 1st and Jun 30th, it counts. Your command is loving you and you are letting them. Do some research and help yourself.

Don't they pay you for being fat? Food for freedom?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't they pay you for being fat? Food for freedom?

Not first termers.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

And boy do they suck.

They were just awful.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Ugh. Berthing barges are terrible.

Howard Phillips posted:

lol

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Get a loving grip. You work navy. You live life.

This. This is the secret. It's a job. Calm the gently caress down.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I remember being on the berthing barge in Yokosuka during dry dock. Nothing better than to live somewhere shittier than the ship, but hey at least those hot coffee machines were around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I remember being on the berthing barge in Yokosuka during dry dock. Nothing better than to live somewhere shittier than the ship, but hey at least those hot coffee machines were around.

That place was such a loving shithole and was my home for my first two months in Japan.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm at work but I have lots of dumb pictures from one of the two drydocks I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks for the info. Looking at going to a carrier that is going into the yards and I won't be living very close if I do take those orders so I'd be spending a lot of time on the boat. Luckily I have some friends that will be living close by that I can crash with.

• Locked thread