Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oh god, I remember my time on a barge in that one map on Call of Duty. Got a sick double tap.

What happens at a dry dock? Do you guys just keep doing poo poo as if you were at sea or is there a boring down time of just loving people over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sniper month is over, foo!

Anyways, during dry dock availabilities, major work is done on the ship. They will replace/repair/upgrade significant systems throughout. There's a long drawn out planning process over a year out for any ship going into dry dock.

As for the people on the ship, most gear gets put into a lay up status that doesn't require the normal underway maintenance. Work that is ship's crew capable is still done by the crew, but a fuckton of work is done by DoD civilians and contractors. For the majority of the ship, this is the prime time to send people to various schools and training poo poo that gets left by the wayside while out to sea.

Depending on what is actually getting done in the dry dock relating to each sailor's gear is what determines how lovely their life is. For some people, there is not much work in one dry dock while in the next one they'll have 12+ hour days.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Thats a nice way of saying that your department wants to "save" money by having your division re PRC the p-way, grind up the deck in the torp storage and re-nonskid it, and going into the sonar dome. I remember once after a heavy storm I went down the dome access trunk and it was flooded with live wires just hanging out in there.

Edit: That reminds me when they said we needed to replace almost half of the amplifiers down in sonar 2. I think each one was exchange only and still cost like 10k a peice.

Or the time the 53 techs couldn't figure out why their main cabinet kept burning out a specific card. Me, the mk116 tech, decided to look at it and it was just the cabinet missing a phase. When I finally was able to get the duty EM we found a distribution panel that was charred inside. Never burnt out that stupid 5000 dollar card after that.

On another note, I remember going to the dive locker to get the qualified (to enter the dome when it was pressurized with air) and VT was with us. The dive master kept reminding VT that he was gay.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 5, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Belowdecks watch in drydock was pretty cool. It took about 3 minutes to check the 5 or 6 things that were not secured on the log.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

SRW sucked rear end after hours, because maneuvering was moved off-hull.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for the info. Looking at going to a carrier that is going into the yards and I won't be living very close if I do take those orders so I'd be spending a lot of time on the boat. Luckily I have some friends that will be living close by that I can crash with.

Civilian friends? How?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Boon posted:

Civilian friends? How?

He's probably one of those spice dealers that powerpoint was telling me about.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Barge staterooms are way nicer than boat staterooms, the only problem is they're on the barge so you're always walking back and forth.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

Civilian friends? How?

Navy friends actually. Everyone knows you can't have civilian friends.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
That almost makes me glad I'm a brown-water sailor right now. In some ways I think it's worse when the Navy is a 9-5, because you start to feel like a regular civilian, but one that still has to do stupid poo poo every day for what feels like no reason with new arbitrary rules every week.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

SPACE HOMOS posted:

On another note, I remember going to the dive locker to get the qualified (to enter the dome when it was pressurized with air) and VT was with us. The dive master kept reminding VT that he was gay.

There is a baby VT now.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pandasmores posted:

Oh god, I remember my time on a barge in that one map on Call of Duty. Got a sick double tap.

What happens at a dry dock? Do you guys just keep doing poo poo as if you were at sea or is there a boring down time of just loving people over?

As a junior enlisted dealing with dry dock, your days will be filled with standing stupid redundant watches. Following behind the cleaners with a broom, so that you can sweep up the stuff the missed. Checking and rechecking hundreds of danger tags.

You will get yelled at by pissy senior chiefs, and you will spend 12 hours working 5 days a week.

Also your barge won't have any hot water!

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What percent of the navy is gay? Serious question.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Noctis Horrendae posted:

What percent of the navy is gay? Serious question.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Thanks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

:tipshat:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

How is it a possible that they could make an NFO's job suck? I mean professional airplane shotgun rider sounds like an amazing career, yet the manage to ruin it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

How is it a possible that they could make an NFO's job suck? I mean professional airplane shotgun rider sounds like an amazing career, yet the manage to ruin it.

What are you referring to? I love my job, I had one tour that was absolute poo poo because I wasn't doing NFO stuff AND I had a terrible, terrible front office including one XO/CO I was a oval office's hair away from reporting to the IG.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

vulturesrow posted:

What are you referring to? I love my job, I had one tour that was absolute poo poo because I wasn't doing NFO stuff AND I had a terrible, terrible front office including one XO/CO I was a oval office's hair away from reporting to the IG.

No dude, I mean to make an NFO, one of the arguably coolest jobs, dislike the Navy, means the Navy itself has some serious issues it needs to address. I'm not giving you the least amount of poo poo, I legitimately mean the Navy seems to really need to unfuck itself

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

No dude, I mean to make an NFO, one of the arguably coolest jobs, dislike the Navy, means the Navy itself has some serious issues it needs to address. I'm not giving you the least amount of poo poo, I legitimately mean the Navy seems to really need to unfuck itself

For that you'd likely need someone to actually demonstrate what it is to be a leader that isn't just howling at someone to get something done or scratching enough backs to get looked at favourably. They'd have to take away all these precious NKOs that tell us how to live when it should just be second nature from training and mentorship. But no, let me complete the same GMTs and NKOs for the second or third time this year because different people want to wear the pants in the Navy family.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

My main beef is the promotion system. The rest is more a result of the fact that I've been doing this for 16 years now and I'm just sort of getting tired of all the attendant BS.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
There are plenty of cool fun jobs in the Navy and probably good number of cool good divisions with chill DIVOs and CPOs. The problem goes back to bootcamp. Remember the idiot who could not loving get a stencil right to save his life? Remember how you had to hold his dick just to keep him from pissing all over the place? Well you helped that idiot graduate, and every other division that went through bootcamp helped one of those idiots graduate. And now you have to cater Navy-wide to that LCD.

PS: in our division that kid was a corpsmen.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

There are plenty of cool fun jobs in the Navy and probably good number of cool good divisions with chill DIVOs and CPOs. The problem goes back to bootcamp. Remember the idiot who could not loving get a stencil right to save his life? Remember how you had to hold his dick just to keep him from pissing all over the place? Well you helped that idiot graduate, and every other division that went through bootcamp helped one of those idiots graduate. And now you have to cater Navy-wide to that LCD.

PS: in our division that kid was a corpsmen.

The dumbest motherfuckers I've ever encountered were corpsmen. Had one that recently picked up second look at me with a confused stare as the two rocks in his head tried to click a thought into existence when I told him I wasn't going to fill out a "buddy" card because I already have a card, looking back and forth between my card and the blank one he had in his hands wondering what to do. Whenever we stood duty he was absolutely clueless and I'm glad that it isn't life or death with our current watchbill. Thankfully most of the idiots that were with me in boot camp and HM school were kicked out for various reasons, some negligence in patient care and others just being idiots. I only hated boot camp because out of the 60 dudes in my division, 50 of us were corpsmen, and it was the same way with our brother division.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Thinking navy life would get better only to land smack in Great Lakes was possibly some of the worst thinking i've ever done. At the very least GSM "C" school is fantastic, what "A" school should have been, and that I can leave the military knowing I got the most out of it.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Carrier in the yards means you might be heading to Newport News. Area is a shithole, so live outside downtown. Just curious to see what yard you might be going to.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
The cycle continues

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ryand-Smith posted:

Carrier in the yards means you might be heading to Newport News. Area is a shithole, so live outside downtown. Just curious to see what yard you might be going to.

West coast. It would have to be the only possible job for me to take to get me the Hampton Roads area again.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ded posted:

Should have officer barracks and if those are not available they would put you in a nearby hotel.

In Yoko they pull up a berthing barge alongside where ships company generally does their day-to-day work when they can be aboard ship helping/overseeing with yard-work. The one they typically use in Yoko is loving ancient (WW2 era) and makes the creepiest, scariest loving noises ever.

It saw action in Korea and Vietnam. Terrifying.

http://www.ussnueces.org/

Howard Phillips posted:

Do you guys also suffer some of the following symptoms WRT life or am I the only one and if so am I basically getting Stockholmed into this organization?

1. Feel like I can't relate to anyone outside Navy.

2. Whenever I'm not at work I feel anxious and nervous.

3. At work I'm stressed but it's the only place I feel like I belong.

4. Prospect of working a civilian job and building a family outside the military terrify me.

Honestly, this will pass after you've been in for a couple years. At first, everything feels weird and out of place, but eventually you will find loads of friends who are non-military in order to maintain your sanity. What I found worked for me was to do my best *not* to hang out with Navy folks off-duty, otherwise you just end up bitching about work. While the Navy "is a lifestyle", it does not have to be your life. At the end of the day, for most people, it's a job. Yes it can be demanding and stressful - but that's nearly any job. You will (and have to) figure out ways to carve yourself a life outside of your job. Give it time.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 7, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

buttplug posted:

In Yoko they pull up a berthing barge alongside where ships company generally does their day-to-day work when they can be aboard ship helping/overseeing with yard-work. The one they typically use in Yoko is loving ancient (WW2 era) and makes the creepiest, scariest loving noises ever.

It saw action in Korea and Vietnam. Terrifying.

Ya I forgot about those things. I think the only time we ever used one was for the duty crew when they had to close berthing for whatever reason. But this was subs not a carrier.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Put in for orders in April. Heard nothing and finally got my rear end set-up with CMS-ID. Status? Posted...at the end of April. So as far as I can tell, nothing else has been done. Guess I will have to get on it when the selection period opens back up.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

itsrobbiej posted:

Put in for orders in April. Heard nothing and finally got my rear end set-up with CMS-ID. Status? Posted...at the end of April. So as far as I can tell, nothing else has been done. Guess I will have to get on it when the selection period opens back up.

Gonna get a sweet hot fill or what?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

itsrobbiej posted:

What's your rating? Have you called your detailer or talked to your/a Chief about this? When's your PRD?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

itsrobbiej posted:

I put in on CMS-ID every month as soon as I could. I even went into work a couple times at random hours as soon as it'd open up to be one of the first ones. I ended up having to call them once it closed off to me which took about 3 weeks of calling 5-10 times a day and multiple emails and voicemails.

I know one dude who didn't get orders until like 3 months out

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

What's your rating? Have you called your detailer or talked to your/a Chief about this? When's your PRD?

Nuke Sub MM. Yes, the detailer was the one who put the request for the orders in. January 2015.
I think it will just be a "hey lemme ride your rear end" thing until it's all set.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Cerekk posted:

Barge staterooms are way nicer than boat staterooms, the only problem is they're on the barge so you're always walking back and forth.

Not true for amphib staterooms. Amphib staterooms are downright palatial, especially DH and up rooms.

E: Disclaimer: may not actually apply to old-rear end LPDs or the JO Jungle.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Our detailer came to the command and specifically told us not to call him and ask for any orders but shore. They're getting rid of our air and surface billets (CTI) over the next three years and unless you drew the right straw leaving A-School getting into anything but shore takes nothing short of an act of God. He held a 45 minute all-call giving us examples of times we've called and how stupid we were for ever thinking we'd leave our one duty station. We have a chief who's been at my command for 16 years without ever leaving.

Join the navy, they said.

See the world, they said.

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

Special duty. Apply to WHCA.

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

ded posted:

Ya I forgot about those things. I think the only time we ever used one was for the duty crew when they had to close berthing for whatever reason. But this was subs not a carrier.

I slept on that barge.
For a few months. I remember the head being absolutely disgusting and the berthing smelling gross no matter how much it was cleaned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gecnan posted:

I slept on that barge.
For a few months. I remember the head being absolutely disgusting and the berthing smelling gross no matter how much it was cleaned.

That was home for my first two months out there. gently caress those things were horrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

itsrobbiej posted:

Nuke Sub MM. Yes, the detailer was the one who put the request for the orders in. January 2015.
I think it will just be a "hey lemme ride your rear end" thing until it's all set.

The nuke detailers have been worthless for time immemorial. Lord knows why, it's not like there's really that much variety in billets, all they really need is to ask you which ocean you prefer and then send you to the other one. Maybe they just get broken really fast by the countless nukes that call them up just to release low, minutes-long screams of agony

• Locked thread