Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arione posted:

I like em, I just wish we had a summer weight option and got rid of the patches and go back to metal devices looks so much better when the SN frock to E4 or people get new pins underway. What I really hate is that khaki shirt for E6 and below. poo poo can that idea and give em black shirts again.

I really love that the Type IIIs, you know the ones for forward deployed seabees and 5th fleet and africom units, aren't loving summerweight. I wore those for an IA in Kuwait and that loving blew goats.

e: Type III still way better than aquaflage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

tuluk posted:

longtime navy dudes
...barring the movie Mister Roberts(every enlisted guy was a buddyfucker), whats the most accurate to the real navy movie or book you've seen or read?
I starting re-reading Thomas Pynchon's "V", and the US Navy small boat bits in it are so full of bizzare, stupid, inane things that it screams legit US NAVY enlisted experience to me.

The Caine Mutiny is a pretty accurate depiction of SWO COs and how nobody outside the ship will ever believe it's that bad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah, I'm just bitching cause I'm surrounded by nothing but Navy for most of my waking hours.

Are people able to maintain civilian friendships as you rack up years of service?

Yes, yes I am.
I sure don't want to be friends with most of you sailor fucks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

There were officer staterooms on the berthing barges in Hawaii for ships in the yards. It's where officers slept on duty and a couple a bit more often than that.

And boy do they suck.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpaceJustice posted:

Hawaii sounds awesome. Any comments on San Diego? Before hearing how awesome Hawaii was, that was my number one choice.

San Diego has as nice weather as Hawaii but costs a lot less especially when you fly home to visit your family for the holidays.

• Locked thread