Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If an admiral ever asks me why I'm not staying in I'm going to tell him: it's because of the boots. The 9 inch boot regulation limits personnel footware to pretty much only Bates -- there are different styles of Bates, but all around Bates are just a poo poo boot. The 8 inch Belleville flight deck boots are much more comfortable, they last longer, they're easier to put on, and overall they're way higher quality material. What about the safety of non-skid you might ask? As a shore "sailor" I don't give a gently caress about non-skid, but the fact still remains there is no comfortable boot option for the majority the Navy. Bates fall apart, Bates squeak when you walk. Bates seemed to be designed in such a way that every 2 years your uniform balance is going to go into a new pair of Bates. Why is it like this? Because someone, somewhere got a lot of money to make Bates the regulation boot -- it is in no way in the interest of Navy, but purely been done for personal gains.

Now you might be saying, "it's just a loving boot, who cares?" Well it isn't. It's all the little annoying poo poo that really isn't a huge deal, but the only reason it's done is because someone higher up in the chain is benefiting from it. And it's created an environment where I don't want to be a part of the esprit de corps. I don't want to go to command functions or divisional outings and pretend I'm having fun. I think the Navy Ball is a huge circle jerk, a waste of manpower, and should be completely abolished. In fact, you've taken something that should be fun, and turned it into a doughnut selling event so that you can promote people who are willing to jump through hoops to pad their eval. Once upon a time the Navy may have been a lifestyle, but now it's just a day job. The majority of people don't like to hang out with their bosses after work, especially when pretty much anything fun you can do could get you in trouble.

So with all due respect, the reason I'm not staying in, sir, is because my boots are out of regs. I'll turn down anchors, I'll turn down a $75,000 SRB -- if I can't be comfortable on my feet then I'd rather get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's more comfortable than the NSU's, so I don't actually hate it. It's also low maintenance. It's a good shore uniform.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
The long sleeve option is that sweater you can get.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

Sadly, this is also the one that I'm always told to take off anytime I enter a meeting so I look uniform with the people without it. So it's a good sweater for walking from duty to duty.

That's the dumbest poo poo right there. When it's cold out I'm always going to wear my fleece. If it's hot out, I'm always going to have my sleeves rolled up. Who are we trying to impress with this "all sleeves up or all sleeves down" nonsense. It's just another one of those little comfort sacrifices so LPO/Chief/CMC can exclaim how great our military bearing is.

I call bullshit on all of that. You know what good military bearing actually is? It's getting poo poo done when it needs to get done without bitching about it. If the only thing you can produce is a lovely JSA meeting then you're dead weight. I could play that game too if I wanted, but then I'd be locked in a 14 year death spiral of Navy bullshit praying for the day I could retire or the day I gain enough courage to put a bullet in my head. No thanks, I'm just going to use the Navy for as many personal gains as I can and then peace the gently caress out.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You should have driven the 700 miles back in one trip, gotten in a car accident and watched his rear end go to mast.

quote:

25. Maximum Driving Time – PMVs
a. All personnel shall follow any host nation, federal, or state guidelines that may exist regarding maximum driving time.
b. To reduce the potential for traffic mishaps caused by operator fatigue while on leave or liberty status, commanders and supervisors shall:
(1) Ensure military personnel apply personal risk
management when planning trips. It is recommended that PMV travel not exceed 10 hours in a 24-hour period, and that long distance driving only be undertaken after adequate rest. Long distance travel for two or more drivers should not exceed 16 hours in a 24-hour period. It is strongly encouraged that prior to leave approval, supervisors review all travel plans, including mode of transportation, driving distance/time, rest periods, and accommodations. The use of the TRiPS is highly recommended prior to leave approval.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Please post stories about how great it is to not march to class so i can live vicariously through you.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wow, the navy is the worst.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We need a world war

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
There are plenty of cool fun jobs in the Navy and probably good number of cool good divisions with chill DIVOs and CPOs. The problem goes back to bootcamp. Remember the idiot who could not loving get a stencil right to save his life? Remember how you had to hold his dick just to keep him from pissing all over the place? Well you helped that idiot graduate, and every other division that went through bootcamp helped one of those idiots graduate. And now you have to cater Navy-wide to that LCD.

PS: in our division that kid was a corpsmen.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
As an E5 how bad of an idea is it to irresponsibly buy a new truck. My PRD is March and I could go to Hawaii so I won't buy a truck if that's the case, but if I end up at some place like Texas then I will NEED a truck to fit in.

BTW, the new truck would be a Raptor b/c I am a military stereotype.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
When I get half pay for a DUI will they cut the monthly payments in half as well?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

I don't know how anyone making any level of enlisted pay can afford a raptor

It's a $50,000, so it's not impossible. But really it's also good motivation to get the gently caress out and get a real job so I can buy things I want.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Christoff posted:

I guess I just don't understand why people buy cars that = 3 years of pay

Mid-life crisis probably.

Analogical posted:

I rode in it a few times and my own F150 is just a disappointment in comparison. It's not impossible but it really fucks your funds. Maybe if you didn't mind living in it and putting all of your BAH into a car payment.

Yea, it'd probably be a better "I'm finally out of the military!" vehicle.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Motorcycles are dangerous

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, I'm lucky enough that my car is currently paid off, so I've pretty much just been saving everything since I got in. I guess part of me just wants a truck, and part of me is just tired of driving on Maryland's poo poo roads.

Anyways, I was reading up on it and in 2016 they might release a Raptor with supercharged V-8, so maybe I'll just hold off until then to blow all of my money on material goods.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'll be out by the time any of the new uniform poo poo is required (I hope).

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I have rank on my peacoat. I've worn it with NSUs and Blues before. I like it because the pockets are super comfortable. Uniform of the day is hands in pockets, every day.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If under 21 find a good enabler and don't get caught!

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
From what I hear, the CTN detailer has been completely mismanaging his job. I know there were 2 9308s that just simply got out because he wouldn't let them swap orders so they wouldn't have to move.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Vriess posted:

CTNCM Montgomery was alright, though the DevShop at NCWDG pissed him off about a software development NEC because they're greedy fucks. Ironically, he's the SEL of that department.
CTNCM Hawley was the one I dealt with, and I don't know if he's still there or if he got out to work in Pensacola. He was pretty curt and would change things up pretty quickly, like automatically assign you new PRD dates and whatnot.

This detailer is relatively new I think, not more than a year. I'm really not sure who it is, and CMISID won't tell me poo poo until July.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
gently caress ship life, I love flying a desk. Seriously, being on a ship sounds fun for about a week at most. I'll take eating where I want, weekends to do what I want, and Navy bullshit not coming home with me any day of the week.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Watching officers slap fight online should really drive the point home that leadership has no idea what they're doing. I mean I don't blame them. The whole point of staying in is to put on the dog and pony and pony show long enough to hope you can get out more than you put in.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
No one posted in this thread for like 3 days and then it exploded when everyone started yelling at each other. Maybe we all just have pent up anger.

Let's post navy gifs:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I assumed that guy was pretty much dead. But how'd they get such good video of it happening?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
not the Navy, but gently caress it, it's cool

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Right now they're sending a bunch of CTNs to Hawaii and there's a good chance I might get sent there too. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it seems like the kind of place I'd get really sick of after the first year.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

If you're an N brancher Hawaii is the best tour before the Navy plants your rear end at Meade until you retire, that'll happen no matter what you try to do so you may as well get some sun while you can.

I'm already at meade though! I'm actually going to try to get a meade billet even.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
So bad it's good. They are fight Russians so it will own tho

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I wonder if you still have to shine your boots after the apocalypse.

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 21, 2014

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Honestly, I think if the system broke down and it was pretty much just a single ship then there would probably be mutiny, followed by hangings at mast.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Our command is starting a relationship counseling program. They believe the majority of the stress sailors have is from home. I believe it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You'd think getting married would be punishment enough, but then they go and have 3 or 4 kids. Congrats, now your wife is fat and bitchy, and you don't get to sleep ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
thank you for our service

• Locked thread