Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

If an admiral ever asks me why I'm not staying in I'm going to tell him: it's because of the boots. The 9 inch boot regulation limits personnel footware to pretty much only Bates -- there are different styles of Bates, but all around Bates are just a poo poo boot. The 8 inch Belleville flight deck boots are much more comfortable, they last longer, they're easier to put on, and overall they're way higher quality material. What about the safety of non-skid you might ask? As a shore "sailor" I don't give a gently caress about non-skid, but the fact still remains there is no comfortable boot option for the majority the Navy. Bates fall apart, Bates squeak when you walk. Bates seemed to be designed in such a way that every 2 years your uniform balance is going to go into a new pair of Bates. Why is it like this? Because someone, somewhere got a lot of money to make Bates the regulation boot -- it is in no way in the interest of Navy, but purely been done for personal gains.

Now you might be saying, "it's just a loving boot, who cares?" Well it isn't. It's all the little annoying poo poo that really isn't a huge deal, but the only reason it's done is because someone higher up in the chain is benefiting from it. And it's created an environment where I don't want to be a part of the esprit de corps. I don't want to go to command functions or divisional outings and pretend I'm having fun. I think the Navy Ball is a huge circle jerk, a waste of manpower, and should be completely abolished. In fact, you've taken something that should be fun, and turned it into a doughnut selling event so that you can promote people who are willing to jump through hoops to pad their eval. Once upon a time the Navy may have been a lifestyle, but now it's just a day job. The majority of people don't like to hang out with their bosses after work, especially when pretty much anything fun you can do could get you in trouble.

So with all due respect, the reason I'm not staying in, sir, is because my boots are out of regs. I'll turn down anchors, I'll turn down a $75,000 SRB -- if I can't be comfortable on my feet then I'd rather get out.

whats your take on the NWU?
From a non-navy perspective, it doesn't make much sense outside of boot camp & whatever the Navy MOS training schools are called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

cool.
I'm from the usmc BDU era, so all the newer uniforms have been interesting to see.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

longtime navy dudes
...barring the movie Mister Roberts(every enlisted guy was a buddyfucker), whats the most accurate to the real navy movie or book you've seen or read?
I starting re-reading Thomas Pynchon's "V", and the US Navy small boat bits in it are so full of bizzare, stupid, inane things that it screams legit US NAVY enlisted experience to me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Im not Navy but all my Navy friends claim Down Periscope is withing spitting distance of documentary

All I remember about Down Periscope is Kelsey Grammer bombast, the chef making whale sounds for some reason, and the skintight outfit on that redheaded female officer.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

current/former Navy SWO officers, question(s) for you.
Do any of you have a copy of "An Essay on Naval Tactics" (1790) by John Clerk?
Basically, John Clerk helped england unfuck their fleet tactics for the 19th century with this book. And he apparently worked out his research/findings with toy ship battles on tabletop/w scaled sea maps, ponds & possibly even bathtubs.

I found a ebook of it here https://archive.org/details/anessayonnavalt00clergoog , but it's riddled with ALOT of OCR errors (200+ yrs of english language changes & weird typeset). Amazon.com shows a few reprintings, but the reprints are $30+ and don't have enough reviews for me to blindly buy them.

If any of you live near the USNA, does the USNA museum store have a copy of this book? aka the USNA museum doesn't have a internet store/is anyone bored enough to check physically? Willing to gift something via steam or amazon credits in return.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

honestly surprised buttplug isn't on everyone's ignore list yet.

the reason I asked about that old rear end book is because it looks interesting from a military history perspective.
ie, fleet tactics that Admiral Horatio Nelson used at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
The author also seemed to imply that crappy naval tactics are how the french beat the english navy during the american war of independence.
From a pure military history viewpoint, interesting stuff, especially when you think about the war of 1812, etc.

The ebook is readable but has a ton of scanning errors, which is why I'm looking for a better copy.
I was wondering if any SWO officers had seen/read/heard of the book, since naval tactics are part of the whole SWO concept.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I figured as much about 1790's tactics being 150 yrs out of date (steam power, ironclads, and aircraft carriers would have blown the dudes mind).
Here's a little sample of the OCR errors, and why I was so desperate to find a readable copy.
I'll shut up about it now.

^ The enemy's fleet consisted of twenty-thred ** sail of the line, seren frigates^ two sloops, A '^ cutter, and a lugger. Nothing could induct ** them to risk a general action, though it was iii ^ their power daily. They made, at different ** times, motions which indicated a desire of en-*' gaging; but their resolution failed them when they drew near; and, as they sailed far betteif than his Majesty's fleet,* they, with ease, could gain what distance they pleased to windward. ^ As they were sensible of their advantage iii ** sailing, it emboldened them to run greater risks, ^ and approach nearer to his Majesty's ships thaif ** they would otherwise have doiie; and, for seve-^ nd days, about two in the afternoon, they bord *• down in a line of battle abreast, and brought tor ^ the wind a little more than random-shot distance. '* As I watched every opportunity of gaining ^ the wind, and forcing them to battle, the enemy, on my ordering the fleet to make a great deal of sai], on the 15th, upon a wind, had the vanity to think we were retiring, and with a press of sail approached us much nearer than usuaL I suffered them to enjoy the deception, and their van ship to approach abreast of my centre^ when^
a a
^ Noie by Lord Rcdney.-'^AJl of the British fleet bot four Tcry foul, leaky, and much oat of refwir*
ft
€€ 4€
100 NAVAL TACTICS.
' by a lucky change of wind, percdving I could ' weather the enemy, 1 made the signal for the ^ third in command, who then led the van, to tack ^ with his squadron, and gain the wind of the ^ enemy. The enemy's fleet instantly wore, and *^ fled with a crowd of sail.
His Majesty's fleet, by this manoeuvre, had gained the wind,* and would have forced the enemy to battle, had it not at once changed six ^ points, when near the enemy, and enabled them ^ to recover that advantage. However, it did not ^ enable them to weather his Majesty's fleet so ** much, but the van, led by that good and gallant officer. Captain Bower, about seven in the even* ing, reached their centre, and was followed by Rear-Admiral Rowley's squadron, who then led the van; the centre and rear of his Majesty's fleet following in order.
' As the enemy were under a press of sail, none '' but the van of his Majesty's fleet could come in * for any part of the action, without wasting his ** Majesty's powder and shot. The enemy wanton-

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

genderstomper58 posted:

Haha do you guys remember that one book someone posted about where a sailor goes out as like an undercover guy and gets blowjobs from other navy dudes to out them as gay or w/e

it happened in the early 1900s or something iirc and was a passage from some book

or I had a wet dream about it not sure which

i think that was a movie....starring a english lady.
who was in friends..
uh.... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122548/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_30

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

No one posted in this thread for like 3 days and then it exploded when everyone started yelling at each other. Maybe we all just have pent up anger.

buttplug posting his usual idiocy started the friendly fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

krispykremessuck posted:

lean six/tqm are complete bullshit in any way they manifest

this is the truth.
even a legit "green belt" certification is bullshit.

• Locked thread