Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Barge staterooms are way nicer than boat staterooms, the only problem is they're on the barge so you're always walking back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Spending $50k on a car isn't a "good idea" but it's completely doable on a military salary if that's the thing you choose to spend your money on. If you're spending 100 bucks a week at the bar, that's $50k after 10 years. If you have a roommate, the BAH you're banking instead of spending on rent is $50k after ~6 years. You've probably spent $50k over the last 14 years on your smartphone, cable, and internet bills. Having a baby costs $50k in under 5 years.

Granted most military people with nice cars are walking stereotypes that are upside down in debt for them, and most people that are responsible enough to afford a nice car on a military salary are also budget-savvy enough to not spend that kind of money on a car, but affording it is completely possible. Especially for guys that reenlist for $90k.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
STA-21 is a pretty great deal if you're staying in anyway. Get your degree paid for, at a real school, while still getting paid your salary, without using your GI bill. Of course it's 3 years in school and a 5 year commitment from commissioning and you don't transfer instantly so go ahead and add 9 years to now and ask yourself if you still want to be in the Navy in 2023.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
JAG was hugely popular and spun off one of the most successful dramas of all time. You can't really blame TV execs for biting on a Navy show.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Dependent health care should have a deductible. Except for sterilizations. Those should have a cash incentive.

• Locked thread