Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for the info. Looking at going to a carrier that is going into the yards and I won't be living very close if I do take those orders so I'd be spending a lot of time on the boat. Luckily I have some friends that will be living close by that I can crash with.

Civilian friends? How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Analogical posted:

I sent them that exact line of the reg. These same clowns forgot to activate my card until a week into my TDY too. You ever drive a thousand miles in an F150? It isn't cheap. Thanks for the link though, may as well print that out at home here.

I hope you made a quip about being better at their job than them.

Don't actually do this, dealing with admin is sort of like dealing with the cable company. You hate them and they're going to gently caress you regardless, it's just a question of how hard and how long.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
USAA regularly offers some fantastic rates on auto loans FYI.

Also, debt may be a hassle, but you should always carry a manageable amount of it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of coats, the Ike jacket can suck a dick. The peacoat or bridgecoat are pretty cool though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This past winter I busted out my SWO sweater with my Service Dress Blues (without coat). A little known, yet totally awesome way to go. The closest we'll ever get to Johnny Cash's again.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

The *right* kind of debt, you mean. Credit card? No.

Personal, mortgage, auto, or student loans? Yes, as long as you're making all of your payments on time and a model loving shining star of fiscal responsibility it will help build credit.

Sure, but even credit card debt is fine if it's paid off month to month. In fact, everyone should have one credit card. Part of your score is the type of credit account.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
First I've ever heard of it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

Didn't you get passed up for O-5 already? Some good the boat school did you...

I assume you're a SWO because you responded to a guy asking for help from a SWO.

So from one SWO to another, slow your roll man, you're being a douche.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Meh the surface navy has long since accepted that naval tactics in the traditional sense have evolved. Maneuvering and positioning are still important, but it's not the most important (at least not at a tactical level).

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 15, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pandasmores posted:

So many of my friends are in debt because of their cars and I always laugh at them. Guess I was the only one that decided to use some of the Navy's poo poo and put some of my money into investment eggs (loving around with some stock that an HM3 friend out in Naples tried out and is working pretty well for him). Definitely don't want to stay in this Navy as an HM.

Which reminds me, the C, S and I funds for the TSP are actually a pretty great deal. They have exceptionally low expense ratios and are tied to index markets (I believe C is tied to the S&P) which are preferable for long term investment.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

There was another ship right behind it that was taking video for mad navy propaganda I assume. Whenever we launched sm2s/vlas/essms every camera within 100 nautical miles would be watching.

:colbert:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I couldn't resist.

poo poo man, this thread needs to get back to tradition

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hawaii.

If you like money and doing things you'll remember the rest of your life, go to Hawaii. The platforms take care of themselves (only CG/DDG there now).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not to mention the COLA whether you're on deployment or not.

I spent 4 years there and while I loved it, I don't think I truly appreciated it until I got back to the mainland. If you asked me where the best place I've ever been was (which covers a considerable part of the globe) I'd tell you straight up that it's Hawaii.

Here's the major catch though, if you're the kind of person that needs your family and long held friends you're going to be unhappy because it's often too expensive for them to visit you, and you're going to be hesitant to ever buy flights back to the mainland more than once a year.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
San Diego would be my number two choice honestly.

I think it's incorrect to say that the weather is as nice, Hawaii will always be between 65 and 95, summer/winter/day/night doesn't matter. The water will always be between 80 and 85 and clear. Oahu itself has like 4 different climates between desert and forest depending where on the island you are but it's rarely humid because of the Kona winds.

That said, San Diego is in a time zone that is much more aligned with the rest of the country. The weather is also nice for most of the year, though the water is much colder. The nightlife is much more vibrant and you'll have the opportunity for normal things like road trips, sporting events, concerts/festivals, etc...

Hawaii doesn't have any major sports teams (except the U of Hawaii), major concerts rarely head out there and there aren't any great venues for smaller bands.

The questions you want to ask yourself if you're deciding between Hawaii and San Diego is:
- What ship class do you want
- Are you an outdoorsy person
- Will you miss family/old friends (I say old because you'll make new friends in the wardroom/waterfront)
- Do you have kids
- Do you attend a lot of concerts/festivals/sporting events and will you miss them
- Do you like road trips

Essentially, Hawaii is like living in a vacation for 2-4 years. San Diego is like living in a young, busy, and energetic part of the country.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 17, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Friends, I've lived a life trapped in shades of gray. Living, unknowingly, in the shadow of something so great, so delicious, so accessible and yet heretofore out of reach of the mind. Shame. Regret. Emotions that flood the senses in the face of what can only be described as decades of ignorance. A life bereft of the greatest of peanut butter based 'wedges,' but no more!

Today I have consumed a toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich; and it was good.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There is the current OODA loop, which is a USMC generated cycle. There is also a staff decision process of 6 steps which is essentially the same as the targeting cycle, don't recall the name because I'm drunk. Navy tradition (and world cup soccer).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
^^^
Listen to this man about the shrimp truck and bakery - they're great.

Should be the perfect time of year to go free-diving/snorkeling at Shark's Cove - there are a ton of lava tubes up there just to the north of the cove that you can dive down into and swim around and explore. Some will lead you into the middle of the bluffs.

Get some chocolate chip pancakes with coconut syrup.

Nightlife? gently caress Waikiki, Chinatown was always more fun and had my favorite Chinese restaurant - Little Village Noodle House on Smith Street. Murphy's had some great Irish/American food and is on Merchant Street.

Go hike the valley floor trail in Palolo Valley (follows a creek up into the mountain, up and over three waterfalls and ends in a giant crater where you can continue to hike the ridgeline which will overlook the north part of the eastern island or turn around). Palolo Valley is east of Manoa valley, all north of Honolulu proper.

Grouplove is playing there on the 21st if you're still there. Go see them, they're a lot of fun.

Go get tumbled in the waves at Sandy Beach just to the north of Hanauma Bay on the eastern end of the island. Don't think you're better than those waves though, that beach has the most broken necks per year than any other. Fun though.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 30, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Haha, yeah, I used to live just outside of Chinatown so I'm a bit partial as well. Seriously though Waikiki is a lot of fun, but it's more touristy.

What was that one bar down on the beach, Rumfire? That was always pretty sweet. Also, take a booze cruise while you're there.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Snappers was my (terrible) go to because it was a Packer/Badger bar. I watched the Fail Mary at that place.

drat man, miss Hawaii.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 30, 2014

• Locked thread