Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There were officer staterooms on the berthing barges in Hawaii for ships in the yards. It's where officers slept on duty and a couple a bit more often than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I remember being on the berthing barge in Yokosuka during dry dock. Nothing better than to live somewhere shittier than the ship, but hey at least those hot coffee machines were around.

That place was such a loving shithole and was my home for my first two months in Japan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sniper month is over, foo!

Anyways, during dry dock availabilities, major work is done on the ship. They will replace/repair/upgrade significant systems throughout. There's a long drawn out planning process over a year out for any ship going into dry dock.

As for the people on the ship, most gear gets put into a lay up status that doesn't require the normal underway maintenance. Work that is ship's crew capable is still done by the crew, but a fuckton of work is done by DoD civilians and contractors. For the majority of the ship, this is the prime time to send people to various schools and training poo poo that gets left by the wayside while out to sea.

Depending on what is actually getting done in the dry dock relating to each sailor's gear is what determines how lovely their life is. For some people, there is not much work in one dry dock while in the next one they'll have 12+ hour days.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gecnan posted:

I slept on that barge.
For a few months. I remember the head being absolutely disgusting and the berthing smelling gross no matter how much it was cleaned.

That was home for my first two months out there. gently caress those things were horrid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still have my utility jacket and that thing owns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can wear them with dress uniforms as well. I'm not sure about NWUs, honestly. I wore mine a bit last winter because I've lived tropical places for so long I didn't have a heavy jacket. It's still toasty as it was back in 2007 when I last wore it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Winter blues were the best drat uniform.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I got picked up got STA-21 almost 7 years ago, but there have been changes since. First, though, I've never met a CO or other senior officer that failed to help a sailor with a package if they thought there was a chance. Getting one of your guys selected is awesome and can actually help the command. The number of people that actually get selected this year has diminished some, though. Past couple of years it's been primarily nukes selected. You're also probably too late to get in a package this year unless you have an ACT/SAT score in the last two years and already have interviews scheduled and all other paperwork together. There are postage deadlines that can only bend if your captain signs off on a delay such as deployment or other operational commitment.

Nothing wrong with dropping a package, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I say Hawaii as well. There are plenty of things that will drive you nuts out there. There are daily frustrations that don't really exist elsewhere in the world.

However, not only do you live in paradise, you have pretty much the easiest access in the US of getting to see some of the most beautiful places on the planet. I got to go snorkeling in Jacque Cousteau'a favorite diving place on the planet in Palau.

I got to live two blocks from a sunny beach year round. Because I had a roommate, I pocketed about half of my BAH.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DustyNuts posted:

Participating in a retirement ceremony tomorrow. Service Dress Blues at the end of June in Virginia Beach? YES PLEASE

Dusted.

That was the nice thing about Hawaii. All whites all the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:wtc:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Depends on what you're really looking for. I lived there for 3 years. Boon lived there for quite a while, as well.

Go to north shore to see some waves. Also go to giovanni's shrimp truck and ted's bakery while you're up there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon says gently caress waikiki, but I don't. I'm partial, though, because I used to live down there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Haha, yeah, I used to live just outside of Chinatown so I'm a bit partial as well. Seriously though Waikiki is a lot of fun, but it's more touristy.

My favorite places in Wakiki in no particular order are Irish Rose, Hideaway, King's Pub, and Arnolds. I know a lot of the staff still at these places. I miss it from time to time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Boon posted:

Snappers was my go to because it was a Packer/Badger bar. I watched the Fail Mary at that place... there was much Jaeger consumed all around.

drat man, miss that place.

Snappers is amazing because of their deep friend cheese curds. There still have a mug or two hanging there with my name on it. I like Da Smokehouse as well, not so much because of the food, but once again because I'm friends with the staff and would hang out often.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yardhouse is overpriced yuppie poo poo, imo. Then again, I prefer places like King's Pug, Arnolds, and the Hideaway, so my tastes might be different.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Christoff posted:

Yard House is pretty good during happy hour cause I'm an enlisted poor

You went to the wrong place if you're just trying to get the cheapest drunk. Happy hour at the hideaway (goes from 4-7 iirc) is $1 beers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh yeah I can't say about any mainland version of the yardhouse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You should keep in touch with your old chiefs just because. :chiefsay:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dude I don't actually keep up with anyone like that. I guess I have a couple that I see periodically in togetherweserved emails, but that's it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't see why not. What's the worst that could happen? Either he doesn't care to or he will. Never hurts to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Awesome!

• Locked thread