Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Welcome, fair wonderers. You have arrived with curiosities of Chinese Mythology, so why don’t we begin with a bittersweet tale before we proceed with the game?

This story happens in the Early Age of Chinese Mythology - An era not too long after the primordial creation of the world. It revolves around myths that explain natural phenomenon and the creation of the natural world.

However, rather to going straight to the very beginning, let us begin with one of the famous tale of Chang’e (嫦娥). There are many variations of her story, but we will go for the one that matches this game’s story.

Prologue

Chang’e is one of the four great beauties of the Early Age of Chinese Mythology. The other three great beauties are Nüwa, Xi Wangmu, and Su Nu. We will cover the others later.

As an immortal, she lives in heaven with her husband – Houyi (后羿) the god of archery, in heavenly comfort. However, due to Houyi’s bad judgment in one of the missions by the Emperor Jun, one of the ancient supreme deities of China. Houyi and Chang’e are banished into the human realm to suffer as mortals on earth.

Fortunately, mankind hailed Houyi as a hero for his action and builds a palace for them in gratitude.

However, Chang’e is extremely miserable by her loss of immortality, so Houyi seek for the elixir of immortality from the palace of Xi Wang Mu and returns with two pills of immortality. One for him and one for her.

Either out of greed, hatred for her husband, boredom of waiting for her husband, or accident, Chang’e swallowed both pills while Houyi was out for a long errand.

Whether it is unbeknownst to her or not, swallowing one pill grants immortality while swallowing two pills…

… transformed her body becoming so light that she ascended to the moon.

Thus, Chung’e becomes the Chinese goddess of the Moon. Her only companies are moon rabbits who manufactured elixirs on the moon.

”Narrator” posted:

Shuiling awoke with a sleepy face, he opens his eyes slowly at Chu Nu with an expression of wanting more sleep.

I will start calling you Sleepy Head if you keep dozing like that.

Your master, Chang'e? She… *sigh*
??
My lady has flown into the sky and become immortal again. You don’t need to worry though; for I will take care of you!
~_~ !!
Don’t be sad, my lord Houyi is still here! He likes you, and I will come to feed you!
>_< !
You don’t like it? I know you like to be with my lady, but she has stolen my lord’s elixirs and flew away after consuming it. I saw it with my very own eyes that my lady’s body was surrounded by lights after she took the elixirs! Then she floats toward the sky and wouldn’t come back even when I call out for her.
*_* !!!
You shouldn’t think too hard about it, hurry and eat. You will have to leave this palace to even have a chance of finding m'lady, so I doubt you can see her again. Even the king is powerless to do anything.
>_< !
Please don’t blame my lord. He is right to be in a bad mood for losing his beloved wife. You should stay away from him while he’s in his bad temperance. I will leave the food here; eat it at your leisure. I need to go do the chores now, just remember to not wander around, alright?
^_^
Then I shall take my leave. I will see you again later, don’t starve yourself, okay?

*Chu Nu leaves*

(Ms. Chu Nu said master has flown into the sky, then I should fly up there to find her too. I would miss her a lot otherwise. Oh! She mentions there’s a chance of finding a way to meet my master again if I leave this place. I should find a way to leave this palace. But first, I should gather some rations and magical treasures before I embark!)

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What is this game

Fox Pet is a Chinese game made by Dipper Studio in 2001. It shares the same setting from another game known as The Romance of the Immortal Fox, but has no story relation to it. So you can consider this to be a spin-off of the game with the creatures of the pet system becoming the main protagonist in this spin-off.

What kind of game will we be playing

Fox pet is a standard RPG with you controlling Shuiling through his exploration of the early setting of Chinese Mythology. We will navigate through the overworld with 3/4 perspective and talks to many well-scripted inhabitant NPC of the world. The battle system employs a time-based battle system where you can immediately attack again once the attack animation is over. Further details of the game’s mechanics will be more suitable to be explained in their respective occurrences.

How am I going to translate the game

Since the game’s setting is greatly tied to Chinese Mythology, which many terms and names has already been translated into English via Romanization, I will do the same so that you can use the name to look them up.

Regular conversation wise, I decided to go with formal English. The style might change to fit the LP better in future updates.

What format would you expect from this LP
This will be an SSLP with mythology lore posts. The update will generally be one post for the game and one or more follow up post about the relevant mythical being that was mentioned in game or from the incoming update. I will leave out the detail of other celestial until their own post so that you won’t get redundant information like reading what Houyi did in Chang’e’s story.

Can I talk about Chinese Mythology in this thread?
Yes! This thread also serves as a Chinese Mythology thread and you are welcome to post about anything related to Chinese Mythology and I would love to see lore post from anyone about it.

I admit that I am not an expert on Chinese Mythology and most of my sources came from Wikipedia, so please pardon any error in their introduction.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Index

Chapter 01: Escape the Palace

Chapter 02: Flush Away

Chapter 03: Story Time I

Chapter 04: Exposition

Chapter 05: It's Tough to Travel Alone

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 8, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chapter 01: Escape the Palace

We begin with…

An adorable Fox-Rabbit-Bat thing known as Shuiling. Let’s collect a couple of things before we explore the other functionality of the menu.

He hops like a rabbit. :3

Hopping to the Northeast side of the room, Shuiling found his…

Armor Database:
An armor weaved by Chang’e. She used her divine power during its creation to greatly increase the defensive power of this armor. On top of that, she soaked the armor into water that she brought from a pond in heaven, which enchanted it to become light as feathers. Thus, it’s named as the Rattan Feather Armor. (羽藤甲)

Useable By: Shuiling
Defense: 66

Interesting, and Shuiling already have a weapon in his inventory.

Weapon Database:
A bow blessed by the four constellations of fortune. These stars will assist the user to hit any target from an extreme distance. There once an archer who used this bow in a competition against a celestial. The immortal celestial fires an arrow from a southern nation and the arrow landed on a northern nation. The reason this archer is competing against a god in this match is to find a cure for his sick mother, and he pleaded for the blessing of these four constellations. The Filialness of the son has greatly touched these four constellations, and so when the archer fires his arrow from a southern nation, the arrow landed in the extreme north of the world. The celestial has lost the match, and will cure his mother. As this story spread, this archers become known as the God of Archery of the human realm, and the bow he used is thus known as Miao Cang Bow of Four Extremity. (四极妙藏弓)

Usable By: Everyone
Attack: 69

We are literally starting with things that would be end-game equipment in other RPG. Let’s equip this and the armor now. :aaa:

Just drag the armor to Shuiling…

:neckbeard:

Outside the Chamber of Chang’e, Shuiling does a review of the palace’s layout.

We are at the bottom of the map. Here’s the plan: RAID TREASURY. Say hi to Houyi at the shrine. LOOT WATCHHOUSE. Leave through the Palace Gate. :getin:

Masterplan *hop* Masterplan *hop* Masterplan *hop* ~~

Make a right turn and found another chest!

A new (and better) armor with tribal design!

Armor Database: Crystal Jacket of Fortunate Beast

This used to be the magical corpse of a strange beast. Due to the long years of weathering near a field of special gold ore, it has merged with the mineral as one. The spiritual energy of the corpse shaped the appearance into armor. Thanks to its powerful spirit energy, it provides a strong defensive capability.

Usable By: Shuiling
Defense: 73

Inside the treasury. No one is guarding it. :getin:

Mine, mine, and mine!

Medicine Database:

Powder of Jasmine Flower: A medicine created by a young woman. Due to her poor financial condition, she and her family can’t afford medicine when they are afflicted by an injury. Out of desperation, this girl powdered her beloved Jasmine Flower in hope of some effect before finding another way. Surprisingly, this medicine is very effective! The girl begins selling it and become wealthy.

Restore Health: 300

Freezing Snow Powder: A delicate medicine obtained by some villagers through great hardship from an ice mountain. This medicine is ground to powder because it’s very hard to swallow it. Contain invigorating property and strengthen one’s body. A rare medicine.

Restore Chi: 50

Armor Database:

Extraordinary Armor of Fēn ling: Crafted by an extraordinary person in a spark of creativity, but the armor originally lacks divine power. One day, this person’s beloved pet has fallen into the gap of a valley, so this person reaches down the cliff to save it, but tripped and falls. The pet sees its master falls down the valley and jumps to join its owner. Both fall to their death at the bottom of the valley.

A passing by celestial picked up this armor from the body of the pet and repaired it. The celestial sees the strong relationship between the pet and his master, so he sealed their essences into this armor and enchanted it with divine power. The celestial leaves this armor in the human realm in hope for fated individuals to come upon this armor. Extremely powerful armor, an exemplar of treasure.

Useable By: Shuiling
Defense: 85

Next up, we go to meet Houyi, the ex-god of archery.

Houyi, the god of archery who descended from heaven to help mankind. He taught mortals the ways of using the bow and took on numerous missions to fend off powerful monsters and demons that cause calamity upon humanity.

In an event known as The Time of the Ten Suns, Dijin, also known as Emperor Jun, the God of the Eastern Heaven tasked Houyi to teach his sons’ a lesson for their misdeed.

Unlike the human looking Dijin, all ten of his sons are the sun in the sky, each a bird within the sun. They all suppose to take turn travel around the world on a carriage driven by Xihe, the Mother of the suns. However, these Sun-birds grew tired of the routine and decided to all come out together, which cause massive heat wave on earth that causes crops to shrivel in the fields. Lakes and ponds dried up. Human and non-human animals cowered in shelters or collapsed from exhaustion.

Either angers by the taunt of those sun-birds or from the suffering of the people, Houyi raise his bow and shot down nine suns. He leaves one alive as killing the last would lead the world to complete darkness. From that day the remaining sun-bird now scared by Houyi, always did his duty and behaved well, always rising and setting on time.

Tragically, Dijin was expecting Houyi to scare his children to submission instead of killing them, enraged as a father; Dijun banished Houyi from heaven and stripped him of his immortality.

^_^

I admit I have an affair with Luò pín, but that was in the past. Why does she have to end it like this? I didn’t forget to get her portion when begged Xi Wang Mu for the immortality pill…

Note: Houyi’s adultery is a new addition from the game and it’s not present in the original lore.

~_~
I have nothing left, and I am too ashamed to ask Xi Wang Mu for more! When I become old, I die, and I can only go to hell. How I have fallen as a god! Not only did the Dijin not thank me for the getting rid of those nine menaces, he even took away our immortality! If wasn’t for that, our relationship wouldn’t have soured, and I wouldn’t have fallen in love with Luo Pin… It’s all his fault, that damned heavenly god, and the cold-hearted Chang’e, it’s all their fault!
>_<
Hmph! So be it! I will go to hell, and I will live among the demon! I, the hero, the fallen god of archery! I am not afraid! My only wrath is for the unfeeling woman, Chang’e! You are a cruel woman! I worked so hard for you and you ate them all! Hmph! Shuiling! You are her pet, leave! Get out of here! I don’t want to see you! LEAVE!
*_*!!

You know who to NOT mess with when you are a beast? A hunter god. Shuiling quickly runs hops away.

Now back to our plan of loot stuffs and run away.

Passing through the rear garden. Not much to see here beside a few servants walking around.

^_^
You aren’t mad at me! That’s great! I’ve been delivering my lord’s letter to Luò pín, so that’s why I wasn’t around! To think that my lady had already flown to the sky when I return! *Sigh* If only I can return sooner. Luo Pin did ask me to send my lord a message.
??
What’s the message? Hmm… Let me think… Alright! I will tell you! Since you can’t speak human anyway, so you can’t tell anyone. Those immortality pills can’t be taken together, otherwise there would be a three hundred days where you transform into an ugly toad! Yet my lady has swallowed both of them… *sigh*! I am too afraid to inform my lord of this news with that foul mood of his.
*_*
>_<
Alright, I have to return to my chores. You go play as you like, but don’t go too far! Also, the palace’s gates are already locked, so you can’t go out.

>_<

A quick hop over to the watchhouse and all we find is a chest with some medicine, a small house, and one guard who tell Shuiling to not wander around. I guess you only need a token amount of security when you are a god of archery.

With no way to leave this palace, Shuiling will have to go back to his Dwelling of Strange Beast…

Which have a badass large pool annnnd I just remember I can turn off the status bar at the bottom.

Just when Shuiling is about to go back to sleep…

He spotted Yan Nu at the side and decides to say good night.

Shuiling, you are back!

Suddenly, Chu Nu rushes in…

Shuiling, you got to leave now! My lord said he will capture you and banish you the North Sea!
How did it turn to this!?
I don’t know! My lord has been like this lately!
But all gates have been locked, how can Shuiling leave?
I know a secret contraption, you can escape through the sewer level!
Where’s the secret contraption?
Here! I will activate it!

*Chu Nu activated something and all the water in the chamber receded into the sewer, revealing an entrance.*

Leave now, Shuiling, or you won’t made it!
Hurry! I will reactivate the contraption in a moment, so no one will know that you have escaped and we won’t be suspected!

#$~ ~
Hmm! You take care too! Hurry…

To the Secret Aqueduct!

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 3, 2014

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, this is a very pretty game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

That catbatfox looks adorable in those armors.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can only wonder what we'll be putting on at the end of the game. But this is really kind of an interesting setup. I wonder where it'll go from here.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think "Usable Target" should probably be "Usable by." "Target" sounds like the sort of thing you can shoot with the bow rather than who can use it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This looks adorable and I cant wait for more! I love the informative style of your LP's. This is the best way to learn stuff. I just need Geop to do one where he teaches organic chemistry or something, then I'm set for just about everything I ever need to know.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think "Usable Target" should probably be "Usable by."
Thanks! It's hard to switch my brain back to English rule while translating. Target works in Chinese. :downs:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chapter 02: Flush Away

Welcome to the first dungeon. We are inside the Secret Aquaduct, and there will be monsters to be flushed with large volume of water by Shuiling. :getin:

Main Character Database: Shuiling

Shuiling is a pet raised by Chang’e. Expelled by Houyi after the Chang’e flown to the moon incident, Shuiling begins his journey to meet his master again. He’s a magical beast with an affinity for the water element. He features two large ears and a third eye on the forehead. He has a bat-like wing and cover in blue color. When he approaches water, a blue sphere surrounds Shuiling and enables him to stay agile like a fish within aquatic environments. Shuiling have a tame and loyal personality, he loves to play near water.

To prepare for the incoming battle, I hotkey two spells that Shuiling already knew onto key 1 and 2. The healing spell is greyed out because Shuiling haven’t learned it yet.

We encounter our first enemy.

This is the battle screen. There’s no menu to select actions. Either you click the hotkey or the equipped spell’s name at the bottom right to spam attack on the enemy. The enemies generally take two or three shots from you before they retaliate.

You might be wondering why the developer uses a ground camera angle for the battle screen…

This. This is Shuiling FIRST SPELL. It blasts the whole screen with water.

Second spell have two pillar of water rise from the ground…

Slam them together and spin the combined torrent up the ceiling. All these while Shuiling does his little cat dance.

Barely survived, the enemy retaliate with a…

Very pretty flying…

Sparkle Bitch Slap attack.

Shuiling send it to water hell.

Note: Each of these spell cost about 10% mana (Yellow Bar) per casting but they will be fully refill after battle. We will get to other mechanic later.

Monster Bestiary: Shuǐ xiū

Multiple antennas on its head with both ears as fins. It has two large flappers from both sides of the body. The ball at the end of its tail glows at night. An amphibian that looks cute and loveable, but it will capture its prey with its antennas when they get too close. It will then crush its prey with the ball on its tail. A wild animal with a brutal nature.

The rest of the short dungeon is one more repeat of :krakken:

Words flow out of the chest: Water healing, begin chanting, true spring flows from within, heal from within! Heal!

Note: We will learn more spells from chest or NPC in the future.

The last chest in this aqueduct has this armor.

Armor Database: Vajra Wooden Vest
This came from a sacred tree of extreme height who sacrifices itself to save people. A craftsman is passing down the road on a thunderously rainy day. Due to the great height of the tree, it attracted the lightning strike that was traveling toward the man, and resulted in the tree bursting into flames. However, thanks to the rain, it avoided being burned to dust, but it’s half burned. The craftsman considers the tree to be spiritually sentient and decided to bring it home and create an armor out of it. That night, the craftsman dreamed of a person come upon him to inform him that this is a sacred tree. That person thanked for reshaping it and wished that craftsman to leave it back in the forest so that it can continue to protect young and weak life forms. After completing the armor, the craftsman returns it back to the forest and wish for the armor to find its new owner. The self-sacrificing will of the sacred tree greatly enchant the defensive power of this armor.

Useable by: Shuiling
Defense: 100

Time to take the exit an-

You will have to beat me if you want to leave!

The boss makes a surprise attack by jumping high up…

And slams rain down on Shuiling. The attack barely did a thing to Shuiling thanks to the magical self-sacrificing armor of wood!

Suiling make a back flip and the turtle rolls over.

Boss Battle Video

Monster Bestiary: Shuǐ Xuánwǔ

A type of millennium turtle with sharp spikes on the shell of its head along with horns coating down its neck. The back of its head has a ball-shaped jewel of life. Claws fill all four of its flippers and its tail has a hand-claw. Its turtle shell seems to have a Bagua trigram that shaped naturally. Born on the Island of Penglai, it has a kind personality and love to travel the world. The shell on its back is impenetrable by any weaponry, so it will hide in its shell when attacked. It has thousand years worth of accumulated magical power and its spells are quite powerful. Bubbles rise as it chants a spell, and attacks at the moment when all gas merges into liquid.

That’s it with the tutorial dungeon. To the human village!

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 3, 2014

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Well now, an RPG starring an adorable foxbatrabbit and based around a mythology that I know little about but have always been interested in. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one. Any chance we could get some videos of boss fights? I'd love to see the attacks and little dance in action.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh man, the enemy designs are insane. Is there a lot of repeat in them over the game, or are they all so different looking?

In regards to aquaducts, they dont always have to be the bridgy looking things you see from Roman times, it's any man-made watercourse for the delivery of water. Usually pipes, but sometimes large-scale underground passages and such. Oh, there's another kind of aqueduct as well that's literally a water bridge, for getting boats over dry land, which is awesome.

So yeah. Not really a sewer, in that it probably does not handle sewage. At least one would hope.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I will record the boss fight tommorow. Gotta sleep now.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh man, the enemy designs are insane. Is there a lot of repeat in them over the game, or are they all so different looking?
There's a lot of different enemies. I think only about 20% is recolor.

I will rename the sewer to aqarduct tomorrow. Thanks for the funfact. We will learn many thing together in this thread! Good night, folks.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

This game was developed just after particle effects became a thing, wasn't it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly not sure how to deal with it, but one thing that bothers me about the translation is that Shuiling keeps looking for its "master", that being a woman. Mistress is probably not the word to go with, though...

Of course, I'm not a native English speaker, so it might be entirely possible master is used for both genders, but it looks really weird especially among all the unfamiliar names we're introduced to. It's hard to tell who's who is what I'm saying.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I will double check the honorific list again after I get home. I try to have the servants call them "my lord", "my lady" for the same reason.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

This game was developed just after particle effects became a thing, wasn't it?
The game took six years to develop and seem to reuse the same engine for the previous game, so the tech level is about pre-1995. It remind me of Diablo 1 graphic. I guess they get to push those effect to the Max with 2001's computer spec. :v:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 2, 2014

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Looking great so far. I played a bunch of these games in the early 2000s, mostly to pretend to myself that I was practising Chinese instead of dicking about with video games, but not this one. To my mind the best of them were the Xuanyuan Jian games.

Re: honorifics, I think mistress works pretty well for describing the relationship between Shuilingr and Chang'E; it's what you'd see for a servant describing his or her employer in Jane Austen, Mrs. Beeton etc.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Although mistress is traditional, master can be used as it's gender neutral.

I would also like to see how these fights go down in motion. The game seems to use pre-rendered graphics, which is something I will always have a soft spot for. :allears:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I hope we keep finding new adorable armors at this ridiculous rate, because I love games that let you play dress-up as a sideline. :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How soon do we get other party members to use all these spare armors we're collecting? Because we went through three increasingly good and adorable sets before we even saw an enemy (which seems like a :psyduck: design decision to me). Are there more to armors than they're looks and defensive value?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

EagerSleeper posted:

Although mistress is traditional, master can be used as it's gender neutral.
I think Chang'e is the only master of Shuiling and Houyi doesn't raise him at all. So it make better sense to have Chang'e be referred as master. I will rewrite the servant's script to refer the master as Chang'e instead.

quote:

I hope we keep finding new adorable armors at this ridiculous rate, because I love games that let you play dress-up as a sideline.
A ton of it considering those party members.

quote:

How soon do we get other party members to use all these spare armors we're collecting?
After next dungeon. We will use it for a short while until we swiftly find MORE ARMORS that will make these old stuff obsolete. :sax:

quote:

Are there more to armors than they're looks and defensive value?
Nah, just defensive value. The value difference does matters on some boss fight especially on higher difficulties where every extra value counts. Although I think the game just reward hunting for chest. Shuiling could skip all the chest and go straight to the aqueduct naked if we want to.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 3, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

First Boss Battle video is up. Pity the boss' desperate attempt at trying to heal itself from the devastating attacks. I could attack three or four time in a row if I rapid-press the hotkey fast enough.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Nyaa posted:

The game took six years to develop and seem to reuse the same engine for the previous game, so the tech level is about pre-1995. It remind me of Diablo 1 graphic. I guess they get to push those effect to the Max with 2001's computer spec. :v:

More specifically, "The Romance of the Immortal Fox", which this game is a prequel to, was claimed to be in development for six years, and released in... internet says Jan 2001, and most of that time was supposed to be spent in story conception rather than proper development. This game was released in Sep 2001.

I have a reasonable but not in-depth knowledge of the 1990s to 2000s Taiwanese game development scene, and I'd say this game is definitely reflectively of turn-of-the-century art and tech.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

cuc posted:

most of that time was supposed to be spent in story conception rather than proper development.
I have more respect for games that focus on story content rather than graphic anyway. Every NPC in this game feels very alive with their personal scripts and many of them having their own story to tell. Battle take less than a minute to resolve, but each monster has its own lore and each god have its own history. I love the 'monster pet' perspective of the mythological world while being the equivalent of a lv 50 human wizard at lv 1. :v:

Thanks for the clarification, btw.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 3, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I will skip over info/description of things or conversations that isn’t interesting or lack story/lore.

Chapter 03: Story Time I

Shuiling arrived at the Lin Wang (Approaching the King) Market.

He then wonders into the closest random civilian’s house because that’s what cat does all the time.

An elderly woman in the house. She seems approachable.

Eh? Magical Beast? A Shuiling? How surprising! To be able to see such a cute little being.
^_^ !
You can’t speak human? Oh, I almost forgot that you would have a hard time communicating without telepathy.
^_^ !!!
It’s alright, I can speak Beast Language, so I can communicate with you.
Wow! Awesome! I can’t talk to anyone properly since leaving the palace. It’s so tiring to make gestures to communicate with everyone!
That’s to be expected. My husband used to be a hunter, he’s a fine understanding of beasts, so I picked up a bit of Beast Language from him.
Oh! Where’s he?
Him? Passed away a long time ago.
Sorry! I didn’t mean to bring up your painful memories.
It’s fine. I have come to terms with it after all these years. In fact, I have gotten pretty old myself, so maybe I will be able to go see him.
Don’t say that, ma’am!
Wait here for a second.

”Narrator” posted:

The elderly woman went to get a strange-shaped sword.

Look, this is a sword I made in memorial of him. I named it Curved Sword of Ice Hurricane. There used to be a life form known as Shi Wang. It eats human as food and my husband was killed by it, so me and other villagers conceived a way to kill this Shi Wang. Afterward, I use its bone to craft this sword as an offering to the ghost of my husband!
So that’s how it came to be!
My tale is over, now’s yours. What brings you here?
I am the pet of my master, Chang’e. I always live in the Dwelling of Beast within the palace, but master suddenly flown to the sky for some reason. I want to find my master, so I snaked out of the palace.
Hm! I see, that would certainly be a rough journey!
Yep! I know, but I still want to do it!
Hoho! Good! You have gut! Here, you can have this Curved Sword of Ice Hurricane. Take it with you in your journey.
But you won’t get to see this sword anymore!
It’s alright. I am old, and there’s no use to keep this sword with me, so you should take it to protect yourself! I know magical beast can channel their spell through weapon, so it will be helpful for you.
Hm! Then I will say thanks!

Obtain Curved Sword of Ice Hurricane.

Weapon Database: This sword is crafted from the bone of evil water beast, Shi Wang. This particular monster is the king among its kin. Due to its numerous preying upon the villagers, they joined together to kill this beast. Since this beast’s bone is unique and touch, the villagers decide to merge it with ice crystal during the crafting process. Rumor said that this blade will not be worn even after killing multiple evil beasts. A blade that gathers justice.

Usable by: All
Attack: 79

Ancient Chinese cat lady is very generous. :catstare:

People who live in this world should do something meaningful, so they won’t waste their lives. Someday, I will meet him again in another world. At there, I will tell him that I gave the sword to a little magical beast to find his owner. I believe he would be happy to hear that.
You are a very open minded person, ma’am!
And you are a cute little magical beast. We are quite fortunate to have met!
Thanks! I should take my leave, ma’am!
Good luck!
Yeah! Farewell!

Moving on to the third civilian house on the map, there should be an old man in there.

Oh? When did this little thing come in here? Hehe! How cute.
^_^
Since my son is still on duty in the palace and I have nothing to do, let’s chat! Ah yes, I heard the mistress flown into the sky?
~_~…
Hm! So I am right? What? You are sad? Alright! Let’s not talk about this. We will change the topic. Ah! Have you heard of the City of Fate?
*_*…?
No? Hm! This is a very mysterious place! I remember from a long time ago, I went to look for my old friend, but I took the wrong path and was lost near the City of Fate. There, I found a strange house, no, I shouldn’t call it a house, it’s more like a something that is made of metal. It has a strange design, and I saw a little kid in red floating in the sky smiling at me…
e_e… !!
Then I fainted! When I woke up, I am at my friend’s house. I later heard that the red-clothed child is a deity, the Master of Fate.
U_U... ?
After that encounter, I never went there anymore.
~_~
What? My story isn’t good enough? Forget it then. I need some rest, so, enjoy your stay.
^_^…!

We will hop over to the Medicine Store since most people outside can’t understand Shuiling yet.

Little Shuiling, our medicine is the best! Come have a look!

This is the shopping interface. We just need to drag stuff to the bottom right and confirm our orders when we exit. We already have 3180 gold, but we won’t need to waste it on medicine if we bother to hunt for chests in the dungeon.

Most of the houses here are empty at the moment, so we will skip pass them until the owner is back at a later point. Let’s go to the general store.

Welcome, little beast. Our items are top notch, have a look!

The general store sells toys and food. I will get to their mechanic later, and for now, Shuiling stock up some of the food. Only the first item is a toy. :yum:

Lastly, Shuiling pays a visit to the weapon store.

Only the last two items is new. They are actually accessory that boost attack or defense by 1/10. No lore for these items and no graphic change on Shuiling, so we will skip it.

Not a lot we can do until Shuiling can talk, so will pay a visit to the local deity, Nu Chou (女丑 ).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wow, I...sort of can't believe the game threw like three suits of armor at you before any actual combat. :psyduck:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chapter 04: Exposition

The mini-map shows that we need to make a U-turn down the path to get to the temple.

On the way, Shuiling taken care of three more of these fish monster.

At the entrance, there’s a… Flying stingray(?) guarding the door.

This guy actually has a very derp face and a big smile. It also floats funny. :sterv:

Monster Database: The monster who protects Nu Chou. It has a wrathful personality and only listens to Nu Chou. An amphibian with a wing-like body shape covered with some talisman papers. It has three eyes with two long spikes extending between the eyes and a long horn extending out of its tail. Sharp teethes layered around its lips. Nu Chou usually rides it to travel around the land, but after the death of Nu Chou, it has been guarding the temple ever since.

Flying Stingray is the best dog. :coolfish:

Who are you? Why are you here?
I am Shuiling! Here to meet with Nu Chou, I have something to ask her.
Oh! You are here to find my master? But you are a beast, so I can’t just let you in!
Hm! Then how can I get in?
Master’s order is to let human pass, but I will have to fight any beast that wants to go in.
Fine! Let’s fight!
But you look pretty cute! I want to be your friend, so I don’t really want to fight.
Then we will fight casually! It’s just those two or three attacks anyway. It’s fine if there’s no hard feeling!
That sounds good, sure! Let’s do this!

The stingray propels itself with up geyser.

Then slams the geyser down to pressure sharp spikes of water blasting out diagonally at Shuiling.

Its second attack is to charge at Shuiling with spikes of water tsunami.

Shuiling rain-dances it to submission.

Now you can go in!
Thanks!

Inside the temple…

The status of Nu Chou begins to glow in golden color…

Shuiling greets the suddenly materialized Nu Chou.

Important Character Database: Famous Witch of the current era. When ten suns appeared in the human world, causing famine and desolations, people asked Nu Chou to deal with this epidemic. Nu Chou knew these ten suns are the son of the heavenly emperor, so she tried to communicate with the sun with telepathy, but only manage to anger them. The spoiled suns decided to burn her to death. After Houyi came down to the human world to kill nine suns, people remembered the sacrifice of Nu Chou, so they build a temple to worship her. She has become more widely respected ever since.

Note: Nu Chou is a minor deity that was only mentioned in the book Classic of Mountain and Sea in a sentence.

^_^
Hm! I am glad you understand. *Sigh* Won’t it be hard to speak with people like that? Come, I will teach you telepathy, so you can communicate with people in short words.
^_^
Listen well! Minado, the language of others, countless heart unite!

”narrator” posted:

Shuiling make similar noise to chant the spell and learned telepathy
This is make communication easier.
Chang…
Don’t just say a word, change that habit. Say it again. You might not be able to speak many words at once, but three to five words will be fine.
Chang’e~~
Her? She has gone to the moon and won’t come back anymore.
>_<
*Sigh* It’s no use to frown. She reached the moon palace and there’s no way for her to return. In fact, she swallowed both pills of immortality at once. She will suffer three hundred days of toad transformation, and you won’t be able to recognize her anyway.
~_~
That’s life, who could we blame? If Houyi didn’t try to act gallant and killed nine of the sun, the heavenly emperor won’t have to remove his divinity. Their relationship won’t have eroded as a result, and there won’t the affair with Luò pín. Chang’e would not have flown to the moon. All these from a messed up relationship of love and hated.
Nine sun?
Yes. They are the son of the heavenly emperor. A total of ten. They are suppose to take turn to rise each day, but due boredom, these children becomes naughty and disobey their parent’s order. They sneak out together and appear as ten suns at the same time, causing uproar from peoples. Drought and famine everywhere, the emperor have no choice but to send the god of archery to scare those suns, but Houyi decided to shot them down instead.
You?
Me? Hoho! Before Houyi came, the people asked her to resolve this problem, so I try to reason with them telepathically, but they decided to burn me to death instead. Serve them right to meet Houyi and face the consequence.
Moon Palace?
You want to visit the Moon Palace?
I want!
This... Is possible, but, I am not too sure about the method. I know Xi Wang Mu have the pill of immortality while fate is controlled by the Master of Fate, which is out of the domain of the emperor. I think you can find your answer from these two deities.
Where they live?
Master of Fate lives in the City of Fate, and Xi Wang Mu lives in the Wang Mu Temple in Kunlun Mountain. The mountain is thousand of Li away. You must be determined if want wish to go there!

Note:
One Li is about 1/3 of a mile.

Actually, there’s a bigger issue at hand that you don’t know. There’s a great surge of demonic aura shaking the ambiance of the heaven and earth. If I am right, it might have something to do with magical beasts.
*_*, something to do with me?
Yes. From my understanding, magical beasts are formed from the sealing technique of Leizu. Many magical beasts contain strong amount of demonic qualities, or being that’s unacceptable by the heaven and earth. Being like Ling Long and Wu She who are fallen deity is also classified into the Hidden or Fallen God section of the magical beast category.
Never heard of it.
Of course you didn’t. This is a secret. I am revealing this to you so that you will be mindful of yourself. If I am correct, those demonic auras are coming from Ling Long and Wu She themselves.
Ling Long and Wu She?
Yes. Be careful when you meet these fallen gods in the future!
^_^ Thanks!
If you want to meet Xi Wang Mu, then you must gather Water, Fire, Metal, and Lightning, elemental artifacts of the four corners. So, you will have to find these things during your travel. Otherwise, you will not be able to go up the Kunlun Mountain. Before all that, you need to find the Map of Tusita. Without this map, you won’t know where to even find Kunlun Mountain. Luckily, you will be able to find the map not far from here at the Wall of Regrets.
^_^ !
I will teach you two new techniques. Thousand Layered Waves is a water type spell. Remember it! Sing from the he who belongs to water, thousand layers become waves, arrive and crush the enemy!

Next, take this Wooden Piece of Imagined Will. You can use it to control Rattan Hoop as a weapon in battle. Restock your Rattan Hoop in store and use them against the enemy. It’s very simple to use it. All you need to do is tap the piece on a Rattan Hoop and the hoop will attack as you will it, which is much easier than casting spell.
Hm! I get it! Thanks!

I will explain why attacking with Rattan Hoop is a good alternative to casting tsunami at our enemy later. :monar:

In the future, I will appear at the right time to help you remove your sealing. That way, you will be able to evolve into stronger forms.
Great!
I have said all I can, the rest is up to you!
Kay!
If it necessary, I will use telepathy to tell you things, so go do your best!
On it!

Are you finish with your business, Shuiling?
Hm! It’s done, but I still need to find a way to get to my master, so I need to leave.
Oh, Alright! Come back and visit me when you are free!
I will, see ya!
Bye!

Shuiling travels east toward the Wild Land of Spring Morning.

… Which is just an empty land with chest for Shuiling to loot if he bothers looking for them. Those chests contain mostly medicine or duplicate armor/weapon.

Shuiling is starving, but luckily, the next village is within sight.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That temple guardian fight. :3:

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Once again thanks for taking the effort to bring this game to us in English.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chapter 05: It's Tough to Travel Alone

Shuiling reached the Avenue of Prosperous Farmland.

Similar to the previous village, but this place have the House of Known Beast, which serve as an inn for beast to live.

Shuiling is getting pretty hungry after going through two dungeons without eating.

Maybe some random cat lady in this town will spare some rice?

Eh? Little thing, what you are doing in my house? There’s nothing for you to eat here!
Nothing, just looking around. ^_^
You can speak! What a special little thing!
Hmm! Telepathy… Nu Chou teaches me that.
Nu Chou? The Nu Chou from the temple? Hm! That’s the first I heard. Interesting, very interesting! So, why a little thing like you wandering around? Where’s your master? Or do you not have an owner?
I do! Master is Chang’e. Shuiling trying to find master… ~_~
Oh! I see! You are the magical beast raised by Chang’e! The news reached here pretty quickly because we are not too far from the palace.
Hm! … Old… Alone?
Yeah! I live here alone. Used to have my partner with me, but she’s gone, so it’s just me. You want me to raise you? I will take good care of you.
… Thanks! … Want master.
I can be your master! Oh! You meant Chang’e? Alright, I won’t force you. I am used to living alone anyway.
Partner? Gone?
I was late to home one evening, so she went to the Cliff of Forgotten Soul. She was charmed by the visual of the landscape and slipped down the cliff… you should be careful! Don’t go there or you might slip and you won’t be able to find your master anymore.
Thank ! … Will careful!
Hm. Good. Ah! Now that I think of it, I do have something I can give you. Here’s a Fire Seeped Pill, you can have it since I can’t use it anyway, so I will give it to you. You probably need it in your travel.
Thank! … Embarrassed!
No need to be courteous; it might be fate that we get to chat today…
Hm! ^_^ … Thanks!

Medicine Database:
Fire Seeped Pill
This pill must be constantly kept within fire to retain its healing properties. Due to this requirement, it’s brewed from the undying fire from the Mountain of Mysterious Fire. This pill can only be used by beasts.

Restore HP: 500

That is not food, so it won’t fill the hunger stat.

Speaking of hunger, Shuiling is starving. All his stat is lowered the more hungry he becomes.

Shuiling thought about eating inside the beast inn, but…

Oh my Chinese God(s)! He looks like a dead dog on the street! Eat something, NOW! :stonk:

This is the food menu. You just need to drag one of these to Shuiling and he will eat it. However, not everyone can be eaten by Shuiling, some are for the soon-to-join party member.

Each food restores different amount of hunger, but their main use is to boost certain stats of the consumer. Stats like Attack, Defense, HP, Spell, Chi, etc.

Shuiling is feeling alive again at 60% hunger, but that still cut his stat to about 1/4 or 1/8 at this percentage.

So, get fat, Shuiling.

GET 100% FAT! :yum:

Note: The hunger stat actually drops very slowly. :ssh:

Now would be a great time to sleep.

There’s no counter desk here because most customers would be below the desk’s height.

Eh? Magical beast! What day is it to have one to come upon this humble lounge?
^_^, Hello!
Aren’t you a well-manned little one. Judging from your appearance, you are a Shuiling!
Yes!
I know Beast Language, so we can communicate directly. No need for telepathy.
Wow! You are amazing, you seem to know everything.
Hoho! I did some researches, so I know some general knowledge. Is there something you need, Shuiling?
I am looking for master, but she went to the moon, what to do? ~_~!!
To the moon? Your master is Chang’e? That would be a problem! It’s not easy to reach the Moon Palace.
I know! But, Nu Chou said to find Xi Wang Mu because she would have the pill to let me go to the Moon Palace.
Yes. That’s according to the legend, but to reach the capital of Kunlun Mountain would not be an easy task.
~_~, I must try.
Then, how can I help you?
I need to find the four elemental artifacts of Water, Fire, Metal, and Lightning from the four great villages. Can you tell me how to get them?
You asked the right person! From my understanding, each of the four great villages has an elemental artifact known as the Vial of Water, Orb of Fire, Key of Metal, and Hammer of Lightning. Each guarded by the highest ranked beast of its respective element, so you will have to defeat these four great magical beasts to obtain these artifacts.
How can I beat them all? >_<!!!
It’s not impossible! Although magical beast have differences in ranking, but each of them can evolve and grow. In fact, what you eat is important. Your evolution to become the greatest would depend greatly on what you ate.
Then, what should I eat?
I don’t know the detail, but, I know a person known as Qiú Zhēn (Seeking Truth). He’s been researching about the raising method of magical beasts; maybe you can find him and ask about it.
Okay! I will remember his name. Where can I find him?
Qiu Zhen lives in the Valley of Alienation. It’s located quite far from here, so you will have a long way to go.
Hm! I understand, thanks! ^_^
The Village of Fire isn’t far from here. Go pass the Avenue of Prosperous Farmland and not far into the Wild Land of Autumn Mist, you will find a passage that leads to the Village of Blazing Flame. The Orb of Fire should be located within.
Kay! ^_^

A red-penguin-with-chicken-leg-thing approaches…

What are you doing here?
I am searching for my master. Since I don’t know a lot of stuff, I have to ask around and that’s how I got here.
How timely, I was here to for the Jin Yan (housekeeper) as well. I don’t have a master, and I’ve always been traveling alone, so I could be different than your kind with a master.
Hm. I guess. My master really loves me, so I want to see her again.
Where are you going to find her?
I don’t know. She has flown to the moon, so I have to understand all of these things and find Xi Wang Mu to ultimately decide what to do.
Sounds fun! Can I come along?

1) Agree
2) Disagree

Fire and water together? Nah. :v:

So cruel! Why won’t you let me?
It’s too dangerous on the road. You could get hurt.

”Narrator” posted:

Wen Yan gave Shuiling a hard kick! Shuiling screams in pain.
I don’t care! I say I want to come! I do what I said! So, I don’t care, I DON'T CARE! You must take me with you!
O_o!!!
You should let her come with you while she’s in her good mood. She normally won’t come even when you beg on her!
Hmph! You heard the man! I am giving you respects with my offer to come with you! Whether you like it or not, I am coming!
*_*!!!
In fact, she is used to traveling, so she has more experience than you. I believe she would be helpful in your journey!
Hm. Alright! Let’s go together!
Hmph! I don’t want to go anymore! Unless you beg me!
~_~!!!
I will count to three, say it or I will get angry!
e_e!!!
Still not saying? ONE~~
Please! Come with me!
Not enough! Again! Louder~~~ a_a
~~~~, PLEASE! Come with me!
^_^, Hehe! Alright! I accept.
Hahahaha ! What a couple! Alright! You two have fun!
Hm! We will take our leave! We will drop by again.
Take care on the road!

---------------------------------------
If we picked Agree…

Sure! The more the merrier. I never travel before, so I’m sure I can learn a lot of survival skill from you.
Hm! ^_^, that’s good! I would have kicked you if you don’t let me in! Hehe!
Then we are now partners! Yao~~~
Yao? What’s Yao?
Nah, that’s the sound I make when I am happy.
Hehe! Mine is different, I would yell ‘hong’~~~
Hm! That’s cute!
Cute? No one called me that before. Most people just call me dirty!
No way! I think you are cute.
You can call me cute, but don’t falls in love with me. We are water and fire after all!
O_o!!!
Hehe! Just kidding! Idoit! Hong~~~
Hm! Thanks, Jia Yan! We will take our leave.
Farewell! Remember to come visit me!
We will bother you again!
You better be! Or the days here would be boring.
Bye!

Important Character Database: A magical beast that loves to travel. She’s a fire type magical beast with an active and independent personality. Beside the white fur on her lower chin and belly, her whole body is covered in short red fur along with unique black patterns. Her head has a pair horn, two little ears, a pair of bird legs, and a fire orb on its tail. Her body turns blazing red when angered. Capable of traveling swiftly, she can walk on fire and looks like a speeding fireball when she runs.

Wen Yan has higher cogitation than the usual magical beast, she likes to catch some insects and play with them, which leads to her usual malevolence expression. Very special.

Wen Yan come with the Sword of Penetrate Sun.

Weapon Database: Sword of Penetrate Sun
Owned by an old man who practice his swordsmanship daily. He always trained at noon time, which gained the protection of the sun. However, the old man didn’t appear one day at noon time, so the curious villagers decide to look into his house. They discover the old man has passed away naturally, so they buried this sword along with the old man. Strangely, this sword reappeared above ground at some point, and many people want to own it. A treasured sword that’s capable of shining with the flare of a sun.

Usable by: All
Attack: 109

She also has this Axe-winged Dancing Gown Vest.

Armor Database: Axe-winged Dancing Gown Vest.
Crafted by an axman. This person loves animals, and he created this armor for a cute little magical beast that he comes upon in the forest. Unfortunately, this axman slipped and fallen down a cliff as he was delivering this armor to the beast. When the magical beast comes upon the skeleton of the axman with this vest, it accepted it with great sadness and buried his body. Any magical beast that sees this vest can feel the love of the axman.

Usable by: Wen Yan
Defense: 100

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, this LP looks promising. :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't... Handle... Cuteness... Overflowing...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How odd, I am also best friends with a stingray and unwillingly traveling with squirrels.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Oh my goodness, fat Shuiling. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wen Yan running around looks kind of like a chocobo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This isn't exactly pertinent to the LP at hand, but is Dekiru Otoko no Mote Life going to be archived?

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
To myth-chat a second, this:

Nyaa posted:

Unlike the human looking Dijin, all ten of his sons are the sun in the sky, each a bird within the sun. They all suppose to take turn travel around the world on a carriage driven by Xihe, the Mother of the suns. However, these Sun-birds grew tired of the routine and decided to all come out together, which cause massive heat wave on earth that causes crops to shrivel in the fields. Lakes and ponds dried up. Human and non-human animals cowered in shelters or collapsed from exhaustion.
Is really close to the Greek story of Phaethon. Are there any other examples of "Idiot sun kid(s) accidentally burn the world"?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Gaaah, I missed the last two post before becoming engrossed by work/hobby/next-lp's game. Was it already two week!? I will have the next update up soon.

Lizard Wizard posted:

This isn't exactly pertinent to the LP at hand, but is Dekiru Otoko no Mote Life going to be archived?
I am working with Baldurk to get it archived, but we are having trouble with that special play-it-yourself chapter. Also, my index confuse him greatly since all the end of the route suppose to send the player back to the index instead going to the next route.

He's also very busily going through other LP in the order of his received email, so he can only reply bi-monthly. I am thinking of bumping that thread so it won't fall into archive soon.

Tag Plastic posted:

To myth-chat a second, this:

Is really close to the Greek story of Phaethon. Are there any other examples of "Idiot sun kid(s) accidentally burn the world"?
I also recently came across another myth about hero shooting the sun, but I can't recall which one.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Chapter 06: Wen Yan’s Past

Now that we have Wen Yan, we can go beg more free food from the local!

Nothing new for this villager. She knows the language of beast, Shuiling tell her adventure about finding his master, and this villager gave Shuiling some rice-bricks. Easy. :homebrew:

They just randomly wander around to chat with people.

Two magical beasts? A red and a blue, how interesting.
^_^…
How strange, you know we were magical beast!
Of course I know! I can even speak the beast language. That husband of mine used to raise a magical beast, but we gave it away before he passed away.
Gave it away?
Yes. That Thunder Ape was too big for me to raise by myself, so we gave it to the Old Man of Known Beast since we are acquainted. It was around the time when my husband was becoming weaker by the days, and he worries that he might be gone one day.
It can’t be helped!
That’s a long time ago.
It’s just you living here, ma’am?
Yes, but my son works in the palace, and he pay me a visit on his free time.
That’s good to know.
It’s nice living in peace and quiet. Jia Yan’s cousin would sometimes come to visit. We once went shopping together, and we even speak in language of beast so that other people won’t overhear the things we said.
You are so carefree, ma’am!
One should strive to be untroubled by life, or else the daily life would be difficult to carry on.
Yeah! That’s right!
We where been here for a while, it’s about time to go!
Good bye!
Take care, ma’am!
Same for you two.

We will pay a visit to this poor old lady again next time.

They met another cat lady who wants to raise them as pets, and Shuiling tell his sad story about searching for lost master.

Don’t be sad, here, let me give you this. It’s something I found by chance in the past! Look, it’s a blue piece with beast stripes on it. It should fit you well!

”Narrator” posted:

Shuiling looks at it, it is a spell written in beast language: “Mountain of Ice becomes spike, raising as it falls, begin the spell as it dissipates, completion of spell by beast.”

Shuiling learned Icicle Spike Spell.

Eh? The blue piece is gone!
I learned it, so the piece is gone.
That’s amazing. I hope you feel a bit better.
Yes, thank you very much.
That’s good.
We got to go, bye bye!
Good bye!

That’s enough chatting for the day. Let’s go explore a bit. :monar:

This road lead to the Village of Flame where currently live. We will stop by there to get my travel stuffs.
Hm! Alright! We also need to find the Orb of Fire to be able to enter the Kunlun Mountain.
Orb of Fire? I afraid it won’t be that easy to get it. Artifacts of the four elements are located in places filled with strong beings and it has the strongest of the respective elemental to guard it. The only way to obtain them is to fight these guardian.
I know, but we still have to get it. We already embarked on this journey, so we should try to complete this journey.
Alright! I will go with you, it should be fun!
Thanks! ^_^
Don’t make that kind of smile at me!
Oh! ~_~
Just kidding! You egghead!
I am not an egg anymore, I am in the pet phase of the evolution!
Geez! *Sigh*! You have no sense of humor!
Yeah! Let’s go!

A cow/horse thing with spike is casually strolling toward Shuiling’s team.

Shuiling immediately sends tentacles of water whip to slam at the horse-cow thing.

Then Shuiling finishes it up with the new Icicle Spike spell.

It was merciless. :hellyeah:

Shuiling found the Layered River Wave spell in a chest.

”Narrator” posted:

A few words appears above the chest: Submerge by the great wave, towering high as the sky, summon by the water affiant! Cast!

It took us a while…

But Shuiling is finally able to create tsunami at will. :krakken:

Monster Database: Thorn Beast

A fire beast that looks like a cow. Its whole body is covered in fiery red fur and its upper front legs grows a large pair of beast horns. It can run as fast as a mountain goat and can jump just as far. Looking it from afar, you would see a ball of fire speeding down the field. Looking it up close, it’s like a ball of fire blazing around. It has a stubborn personality and become berserk when it sees water. It will charge straight at the enemy with its horn. Quite a troublesome opponent.

This cow's face is pretty derp. :downs:

Wen Yan don’t even have a chance before we reached the Village of Flame. Very comfortable… For a fire type.

This is where you live?
Yeah! Was it strange?
Not bad. It’s clean, seem pretty comfortable.
How would I live well if I don’t keep it clean!
That’s true.
I’ve been living here for more than a year, so I know the local geography pretty well. Before settling down here, I spent a lot time looking for a place to stay.
I never travel before, so I don’t know much about it.
It has its pro and con. The good is to be able to meet new people and learn a lot of new things. You with a master who taken good care of you would feel the warmth of a home and happiness that would be hard to find in the outside world.
You’re right! How’s your experience over the years?
At the beginning, I have this urge to travel around the world, so I have been traveling since I was young. Maybe because I am a magical beast, so I don’t face as much hardship as human do. I just need to protect myself and don’t let anything eat me. Luckily, I am a being of fire, and a lot of bad things are afraid of fire. I also ran pretty fast, which I can run away when things get really bad. So I get to travel to a lot of places jst fine.
Hearing you say that, I would like to experience it too.
This world is so big. Every time I woke up, it would feel like the beginning of another path of life. Maybe because the place I slept is usually different from the previous night. Strangers, mysterious land, new culture, and foreign languages. There was no boredom in my heart, all the new and exotic things constantly keep me interested… Until one day.
One day? What happened?
One day, I found myself at a lost. I don’t know what I am searching for. I have travelled many paths, passed through various places, but I don’t know what I am looking for. It’s like I just traveling for the sake of traveling, so I stopped. Stopped at this house that you see here. It’s been more than a year, and then I met you…
I don’t really understand your feeling, but I feel that you are different that your appearance. You are very considerate.
How would you know?
Of course I know! ^_^
It’s good if you meant it. Alright! Enough chit-chat. I need to go pack my stuff. Wait here while I go do that.
Yeah! I will wait for you.

”Narrator” posted:

Some time passed.

Wow, you brought a lot of luggage. A bunch of food.
What? It should be this much! Going out on a journey would need this much food because we might not find a village or any source of food for a long time. That’s why we need to bring more, dummy!
That make sense.
@_@ Now you know.
Let’s go!
Off we go!

Wen Yan didn’t add any food to our inventory, but she’s right. We need to stock up on food for the journey, so we will go back to the town to stock up more food before going to the next area.

Let’s visit that old lady again while we are at it.

It’s you two! Welcome!
How are you doing, ma’am?
I’m fine, thank you.
That’s good.
You are here on day time?
Yes, I’ve been sleeping earlier at night, so you two might not be able to come in during those time.
Got’cha.
Oh! I forgot that I found something while I was going through my things. Here, it should be something useful for you with affinity to fire.
This is a spell for Raging Fire.
Exactly! It was a gift by the Old Man of Known Beast, but the Thunder Ape has no use for it, so it stayed with me. Since it’s no use to me, you can have it!
Thanks ma ‘am, I will take a look!

”Narrator” posted:

Elevate of flame, countless burning, will by fire affiliated, as if you become fire!

Congratulation for learning Raging Fire.
Hoho, this must be fate. That’s what my husband would say all the time.
You are a good person, ma’am.
We won’t bother you much more, please take some good rest!
Oh, I will. See ya!
See ya! ^_^ … Yao!
See ya! … Hong!

This is a special spell that goes well with another spell from Shuiling. :getin:

Next, we go buy some food at the general store.

We purchased a few variety of food. Gold bar (food), Cloud Jade (food)…

Rock Flower (food), Talisman (food)…

Ah yes, can’t go without those Five Poison Pill (food) to spice up those rice (food). :yum:

Lastly, we brought some toys like Rattan Hoop and Bamboo Dragonfly. We will play with them in battle later.

After coming all the way back, we might as well take a rest at the House of Known Beast before going to the next dungeon.

We meet again, do you wish you stay in this House of Known Beast?
We can live here?
Yes! Indeed! You can recover your strength here, all you need to do is to pay the fee. There’s a lot of other House of Known Beast in the city, so you should look for them when you need some rest.
That’s great!
You don’t know? I guess you won’t know by staying in one place all the time.
Hm! Now I am wonder who created the House of Known Beast?
House of Known Beast is founded by the Old Man of Known Beast. In this era, there are a lot of strange folks. These beings have different appearances than normal humans, and they might be rejected by a regular human establishment, so our founder decided to create this House of Known Beast. Any strange beings can now rest in safety away from the wild land. Afterward, our founder begins researching all these strange beings and eventually, we expanded of operation to include even magical beasts.
I see! Thanks for telling me.
When you spot a House of Known Beast, you can stay in there and rest well. Whoever operates the house are students of the same school as mine, so you can relax and feel safe.
Hm! Thanks!
Look like I will have to tell you more things on the way, so you will know more.
Hm! Agree! ^_^, I like listening to you.
Zip it! Cajole!
Hoho! Do you want to stay? It would be ten gold!
1) Yes
2) No

To each their own room!

Shuiling likes listening to Wen Yan, so he would pay her a visit.

Shuiling came to the resting place of Wen Yan to chat with her, but she isn’t around. At that moment, he hears a beautiful song.

It’s a beautiful female vocal, sweetly descends from above.

Shuiling follows the melody toward the sources.

Fallen flowers long became subject of poetry,
How to tell the time from short union,
Word of hate melted into tears,

Hard to form poem as I choke in tears,
Your feeling is,
A dazzling dream under the moonlight,
My affection is,
A breezing wind in the morning dew,

Wanted to embrace,
Yet fearing for nothing to embrace,
Wanted to separate,
How much time would I need,
To settle this~~
Sadness…

Shuiling listen through the whole song. He then quietly sat beside her.

I learn that song from someone a long time ago.
Hm! It’s so beautiful, but very sad.
She was a nine-tailed fox. I met her in my journey, her name is Feng Jinghua. I heard this is a song by her sister, and I asked her to teach me because it sounds nice.
That’s quite a story behind a single song.
Yeah! There used to be seventy eight heavenly maiden, and one of them known by the name Yue Jing. She was the owner of the Moon Palace.

Back then, the Stair of Heaven hasn’t been shattered, and there was once a human who goes up to heaven to report about the disaster in the human realm. On the way home, he and Yue Jing has fallen in love. Eventually, this one deity and one human broke the humanly law and given birth to a child. So the heavenly emperor removes her divinity and cursed her with the seal of the nine-tailed fox. The other seventy seven maidens who covered for her are also included in this punishment. They were banished to the human realm, turn into nine-tailed foxes, and have to train against the Five Hundred Days Calamity for nine times to be able to return to heaven. The Moon Palace was abandoned because of this. This might be why Chang’e is attracted toward the Moon Palace.

I see! Sometime, I feel that destiny was pre-determinated.
I feel the same. The song I just sang was a way for them to unite and remanence. I wouldn’t have learned about this if I didn’t hear Feng Jinghua sings it.
Hm! I like to hear you sing. It’s so good! Strange, why did you want to travel?
… Because I saw many people with parents and relative, so I become curious of myself. I want to find the answer. We are all sealed beast of golden eggs, but where do we come from? Do we have someone similar in this world? I want to know, so I travel everywhere. I got tired eventually. Since I can’t find the answer, I decided to settle down at the Village of Flame until you appeared. You wanted to find your master, and to find Xi Wangmu. I thought that since we both have the same goal and wishes, it would be better to travel together than being all alone!
I understand. The uncertainty in your heart is the uncertainty in my heart. The answers I want to know, in this journey, we will find it together.
^_^ Deal!
It’s decided!
Alright! Time to rest, so we will have the energy to move on!
Yeah! Back to the house!

Tomorrow is another beginning of a new journey. :unsmith:

Weekly Myth of the Night

Nine-tailed Fox

The Nine-tailed Fox is a popular mythological creature prominence in several Asian cultures. In the Chinese version, this creature appears in many classic text that mostly depicts early geography and myth such as the Classic of Mountains and Seas. It symbolizes different thing in different eras like Fortune, Peace, and Luck in Song dynasty; protector of royal blood in the Hand dynasty, or as an omen of revolution for bad emperor. The nine-tailed fox is also portrayed in a classical story Fengshen Yanyi, where it causes the downfall of Xia dynasty by possessing the favorite concubine of the king to enchant him into her beauty.

Note: I am not sure if there’s a version similar to the game’s version of the myth.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 26, 2014

• Locked thread