Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Repost from the iOS thread, but relevant:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe they've something unique for iOS 8.
Healthbook should be interesting to see how they approach it, but without any solid info on the hardware side (biometrics stuff) it'll be kind of hard to really get a grasp on it.

Honestly I'm most excited for the supposed "visual overhaul" of OSX. I've got no issues with it now but I'm wondering how far they'll push the bar (iOS 7) or if it'll be more of a gradual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
OSX San Diego

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It'll magically appear tomorrow as its own channel. No worries.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

Awesome, this is early tomorrow. For some reason I thought it was Tuesday. I hope Tim Cooks announces osx is ready to download tomorrow for free and drops the mic.
You can already download OSX for free.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Super disappointed if that's their approach, basically just copying and pasting elements of iOS over OSX. Blah.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

Hating the frosted glass look if that's real. I don't understand their new obsession with frosted.
Should have expected it really, but I was still holding out hope.

I know they want to unify the OSX->iOS experience and vice versa, but having them be carbon copies of one another isn't really the way to go.

Then again this is the same company that brought us LAUNCHPAD and touted it as a revolutionary new way to access apps.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ZShakespeare posted:

Say what you want about launchpad, my mom loves that thing and hates finder.
The future of computing.

:negative:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is Launchpad the thing with some but not all of my program icons that I occasionally invoke and have no idea how I did it?
That's the one.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

rjmccall posted:

Huh, still hasn't leaked. Go us.
What?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Guesses: Absolutely nothing new on the hardware side, OSX with ugly frosted glass iOS stuff slapped on top, no idea about iOS8. Likely just heart book and beacons and home auto concept stuff. Nothing tangible. iTunes Radio and other boring poo poo. The end.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Love me some Craig. So glad Scott is gone.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
OSX Beautiful Translucent blah blah blah. How is something so mundane such a huge talking point?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Things Looking Good actually matter if you're not a :spergin:
Yeah mentioning it once is cool. They've brought it up like 20x now.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

I wonder how many times we're going to be reminded that window toolbars are now translucent.
Depends on how many apps he's going to show I guess.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Haha they're totally cutting out Google every chance they can get.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lol if you don't use safari

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
This is actually really cool.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So at least those really ugly leaked blurry pics were either fake or a super old build. The current integration is much better than what was shown there.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Isn't it officially summer now?

http://www.apple.com/osx/preview redirects to the regular Mavericks page as of right now.
Look at this fool who doesn't know his seasons.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bung Harmer posted:

Mods change my name to Toxic Hellstew

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
hehe

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Quick listening to audio messages from the lock screen by raising the phone to your ear is neat!
It would be neat if it worked for voicemails too.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
This is all boring without a watch or band or other sort if first party biometric thing which they're not going to announce yet.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
So does this replace iPhoto then?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

So much of this conference has been competing with Google services, without the cross-platform clients, or flexibility of the Web. They're nice, but unless you work entirely in Apple from end to end, you're hosed.

Like, if I dual boot to Windows to play a game I lose my photos and messages and files and so on.
Lots of people do, and that's also what Apple wants. They don't give a poo poo about you using Windows.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Aardvark Barber posted:

its just like they are acting like they're treading in uncharted waters and innovating all of this stuff
Not really, no. They haven't said that.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Problem is, that's basically the "Exchange is great if you use Office and Windows" thing of the 90s. So much is done through browsers now that people view being hinged to a single ecosystem as a disadvantage.
I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's their mindset and that's ALWAYS been their mindset so it's kind of dumb to expect anything different from them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Touch ID isn't broken anymore?
Wash your hands.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's weird that looking at the icon I was like "looks like Swift" and then the name is actually Swift. :stare:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

Looks like we're not getting anything big. There were rumors about Apple getting into home management stuff, but HomeKit isn't going to satisfy.
You read the wrong rumors then, because HomeKit is basically exactly what the rumors predicted.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
There are people in the world who don't wear belts???

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

Hopefully they have something to end with on a high note. This stuff means nothing to me.
WWDC

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

What was that list of devices? It was on quicker than I could read through it.
Anything released in the last 3 years basically.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Cue nerds raging about no new iPhone announced at a developer conference.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Oneiros posted:

Was there anything about what hardware Yosemite will run on? Will my 2010 MBP live another year? :ohdear:
I'm more worried about the seamless iOS functionality and if they'll lock out older models based on the wireless/bluetooth technology.

I've got absolutely no reason to update my 2012 iMac but if some of that stuff won't work on it I'll be pretty annoyed.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Vinlaen posted:

Can somebody explain the changes to Photo Stream or iPhoto?

The iOS 8 tag line is: Photos. Every photo you take. Now on all your devices.

Didn't Photo Stream already sync your photos to all of your devices?
It had a limit and was also super weird/finicky about what exactly it synced. Now it's actually everything which makes the whole thing simpler (while also encouraging people to upgrade their iCloud storage).

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Drastic Actions posted:

Already found a bug.

Man, how do they let this stuff out :(
I'm 98% sure this post is being sarcastic but I don't even know anymore...

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Thauros posted:

Really not a fan of the look for 10.10, and I say that as someone who was quite happy with IOS 7 from the outset.

I assume/hope that people will quickly find out ways to restore or alter the look while keeping the functionality.
You'll get used to it.™

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

error1 posted:

I want to punch Jonathan Ive in his stupid smug face. Don't you dare ruin OSX the way MS almost ruined Windows!

iOS and OSX is only great because of the hard work of thousands of talented software engineers writing powerful APIs and efficient, robust code. Nobody likes or wants your stupid flat deviantart themes, Jony
You seem to care a lot actually.

EDIT: Oops I first read your likes/wants as cares. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

Has anyone figured out how to enable dark mode yet? I actually like the look of everything, the simpler appearance is very clean. Looking forward to smoother operation on my 15 rMBP as it gets refined.
It's just a menubar change from what I can see. Check the desktop appearance settings menu?

• Locked thread