Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
My fiance is a computer tech at a very large retail company. He's interviewing this week for an internal help desk position at a bank. He already passed the phone interview, now it's time to go in-person. We can't afford to buy a full suit or blazer top, hopefully this will not hurt his chances. He'll be wearing proper slacks, a collared shirt, and classy tie.

We've talked about avoiding poo poo-talking his current employer in favor of emphasizing the positives of the position he's aspiring to get. Any other rules of thumb, things to include, things to avoid? There's no question that he's qualified for the position. The only real concern is that the hiring manager or HR may be biased because he's coming from retail and has no white-collar work experience.

We're both goons and will both be reading this thread. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
A help desk position isn't rocket science so I wouldn't worry about a lack of "white collar" experience.

Also, you can absolutely afford a suit or blazer/sport coat. Go to your local Goodwill/Salvation Army/thrift store. You can often buy basic blazers for like $10-20, and if you're lucky you can find a suit for not much more.

EDIT: Also, there's a whole interview megathread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 2, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Read this book it's not long and using those techniques helped tremendously when I interviewed for this job.

Also the megathread, the megathread is full of good stuff.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Thanks, I didn't notice the megathread.

He's a pretty big guy and nothing off-the-rack is going to fit without tailoring. I doubt we'd even be able to find something in his size in a thrift store. We live in a college town in a super-liberal area... most of the townies are normal-sized and most of the students are Asian-sized.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

If you're absolutely SURE he can't fit into jackets at the thrift store, I would suggest looking into braces/suspenders (buttons, not clips) for his pants rather than a belt. As a recovery fatty myself, it looks a lot better than your gut all cinched in and/or hanging over.

Also, tailoring isn't the end of the world. I think every adult, no matter the income, should have a bit of a budget for clothing. It's the difference between looking like a slob and looking like you take care of yourself. The latter conveys all sorts of messages about attention to detail, diligence, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah working in an office setting, how you look is pretty important. Especially if you're customer-facing in any sort of way.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

martyrdumb posted:

most of the townies are normal-sized and most of the students are Asian-sized.

Huh?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
She's saying most people are only obese (average American size) vs morbidly obese, and the students are all Asian and hence slender. In other words, she's saying there are no second hand clothes that will fit her fiancé.

I would recommend buying a navy or charcoal blazer at some point in the near future. There are some great cheap sources, such as Jos A Bank or Men's Warehouse. I would go in person and get fitted, and then get it tailored after. I know nothing about obese clothing sizes and tailoring as I am on the far other end of the girth spectrum. Maybe it's not as needed?

I also wouldn't sweat being in a suit for a help desk job... Look put together and BE put together, don't sweat the jacket if you don't have one and can't afford one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

I would recommend buying a navy or charcoal blazer at some point in the near future. There are some great cheap sources, such as Jos A Bank or Men's Warehouse. I would go in person and get fitted, and then get it tailored after. I know nothing about obese clothing sizes and tailoring as I am on the far other end of the girth spectrum. Maybe it's not as needed?

Tailoring is almost more important for fat guys than really skinny guys. Once you get up into the Big & Tall section body shapes will vary wildly. To accommodate this, cheaper suits are usually cut to wear like a tent.

I'd say it's still worth a trip to thrift stores as you might get lucky. But like you said, for help desk a suit or jacket aren't really needed.

• Locked thread