Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garages are not for parking cars in, unless they're projects you have barely touched in a decade. They're for hoarding tools and car parts in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

loving bastard Postman didn't bring me my package even though I left the "redeliver" slip in the box on Friday. I'm getting fed up with his fatass.

mafoose posted:

My old postman was a lazy gently caress. Everytime he left a "we missed you" note, someone was home.
I never get tired of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWB1u4Ej2wc

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh posted:

Sorry mate, but every time I see one of these stories, it makes me appreciate that my work will accept personal packages, and I can swing by the loading dock to get them at any time. There is usually 5 or 6 sets of tires there all the time from all the car guys.
Yeah. As long as I don't get anything delivered that's too big (and I think that would have to be "forklift can't get it off the truck" territory), it's cool with the guys running goods inwards, and no-one else gives a drat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

And then he started to PM me:

My response to an "argument" of "I earn more than you" is "No, you're paid more than me. You're not an engineer, meaning your work has no value, so you don't get to use the term 'earn' regardless of your income".

Cue complete and utter meltdown of impotent rage. Your technique is quite correct, just keep prodding them until they totally lose their poo poo.

mariooncrack posted:

Any suggestions? I can't remember the specifics but it needs a new water pump, some suspension work, and something with the steering wheel.
Find $2k somewhere. Or fix it yourself for :20bux:. Could be either. Can you dig out their actual quote and list everything they've said?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

T1g4h posted:

Sup AI, today I got to learn how to operate heavy machinery.

Granted it's only a backhoe, but still. One more skill to add to the list of random useful things I know how to do!
Don't knock it. Sometimes when life goes to poo poo, being the guy who can do random stuff like this will get you back into employment over someone else. May not matter when talking about "career" level stuff, but "laid off and need something in order to eat and pay the mortgage"? It gives you options.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, sometimes they're very embedded systems. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Great Beer posted:

Those were behind a pay wall? I found the manual for my 6 this way and thought Mazda were just giving them out free as a service. :psyduck:
It just comes down to whether your Javascript is working as far as I can see.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

I asked...
Why would you do that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

If you were joking, then that's awesome. But sometimes on SA you can't tell a joke from a genuine antisocial sperglord, and I can't keep track of who's who all of the time.
Sometimes I'm both, but I'm neither in this instance. I'd just keep my head down and try not to annoy anyone enough to have them report what I'm doing than take what seems to be a good risk of getting a definitive no than a definitive yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't even have a TV anymore. Anything I want to watch I can find online or on a disc.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is that not normal for the US, that a second car which is a classic can be insured cheaply? I pay about £100 for the Landie, my dad is something silly like £40 for his Austin. Fully comp cover, which is to all intents and purposes unlimited for 3rd party claims.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

You need to shop around a bit more - I've got my series 2 down to £47.50 this year :)
Hmm, who's that with? I didn't look around at all with mine, I must admit, I just paid the renewal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are you by any chance in your late teens/early twenties?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

It's also my first car so I only have 1 year no claims bonus
It gets better as you get older and get the increased NCB (note that I'm 32, hardly :corsair: territory). You're probably a lot better than if you were 18 with that 1 year NCB, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you can get someone to treat it as a classic so you get classic insurance (should be doable, they're 25+ years old now), and be over the age limit for such a policy (often 25), you might fare better for having one as a second car, though you'd still have to pay the road tax £230 a year, probably significantly more than your 107 - go 1974 or older, and you'll definitely get classic cover, plus free road tax, but it depends on what kind of cars you like, and how restricted you are for space to keep multiple cars etc.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

32? Bastard, I thought you were old, you're a year younger than me :(
I come across older than I am most of the time (this is not the same as more mature). Look it as well :xd:. Doesn't bother me so much any more, I found it actually helped when I was starting my career, people would take me more seriously than if I seemed like a spotty yoof.

quote:

I just got offered a £100 Triumph GT6, I'm trying to figure out so hard where I can put it.
There is always space somewhere. Besides, I can't really see any situation where you couldn't immediately flip it for a good profit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Your 107 price isn't that bad. My main insured car now is an aygo with 10 years no claim and I still pay around £300/year for that. I'm 34 now.
I should have said, yes, this is about what I pay on the Clio. £300 is about the floor for "normal" insurance for me, I've found.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everything Cat Terrist said, but also check for rust.

Luckily, you can get practically every single part for one, so anything is fixable, but that isn't especially wallet-friendly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it will physically fit on the driveway, and it's just that the access is crap, you can probably manhandle it into place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, what did I start?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I haven't been carded, well, ever.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is patient zero for "How Japanese Women Age" disease, and still occasionally gets asked for ID. She's 56.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's wrong with the existing one?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

Failed inspection. Says "Idler arm and pitman arm have excessive play"
Have you checked yourself? Play at the spline or the balljoint end?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Worth buying, if manufactured in 1976, there is a very good chance it'll become tax exempt in a couple of years, provided the current status quo in that regard is undisturbed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

Congrats on having another child! Buying another car!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At least with a Mini, everything is available.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

This has been a lovely day. So lovely that I just sort of went off on a child customer. I mean, to be fair he's an insufferable little poo poo and called me stupid to my face right before I was rude to him but that doesn't excuse it.
Well, a schooner is a sailboat, stupid-head.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slow is Fast posted:

I found out last night my best childhood friend is having a kid.

Kind of weirded me out. They're the same age as me and have a house and are crapping out a kid (on purpose mind you) and here I am having trouble keeping my Brita refilled.

Don't get me wrong I don't want kids anytime soon, I have a few racing notches I need to carve in my belt first. It was just weird sitting there taking it all in.
I just view it as the opportunity to be the bad influence, who does all the cool stuff Mum won't let you. This is pretty much the role I fill for said married friends anyway, so why not their offspring?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I haven't finished New Order yet, I've only gotten up to finding the hideout so have only had one train sex scene.

drat it's good though. When you get the dual loving automatic shotguns in prison and make Nazi soup?
Go up to the top floor of the hideout, and find the old mattress on which you can select "nightmare" to play a mini-game of the original W3D.

I really liked it, makes you wonder how good Duke Nukem Forever could have been.

I also played Bioshock Infinite, which I hadn't played when it came out last year - excellent game, especially with the two Burial At Sea DLC episodes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Everyone kept going on and on about how poor the new Wolfenstein would be, I feel it at least vindicated itself this time around, and based on the ending, I'm assuming they are planning a follow-on.
Ok, I wasn't sure. I thought what they'd done was make you think BJ was going to be killed by the nuke, but then there's a stinger of the sound of a helicoptor toward the end of the credits, so took that as their opening to say he got out ok. I was playing through having chosen Fergus to survive, am now replaying with him being the one who dies to see how it affects things.

I love all the little bits of information in newspaper clippings etc if you poke around.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I very well may be buying a Nissan Juke.
Did you drink some of your detailing products by mistake?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I think I've met him already but I'm still getting cold feet because I'm waiting for him to break my heart.
Eh, just give it a try. Regardless of how it turns out, look at it this way: It's unlikely to result in you owning a Nissan Juke.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sign at the tip community recycling centre: Limit of 6x25kg bags of soil/rubble in a six-month period. I'm at about 2 tons this week :iamafag:.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knobjockey posted:

Well that's certainly better than what David McCallum came up with. Bet he feels a bit of a twat now.
I'd need some kind of MC Hammer outfit to make that work!

Motronic posted:

That's the part that eats away at your sanity.
No, you don't understand, they worked in engineering, they know what can and can't be done, and how things should be organised. :jerkbag:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

One of our directors started out in my job and thus cannot be bullshitted, but on the plus side I've been in meetings where he takes someone apart to the molecular level for asking us for something stupid :3:
Now imagine someone who thinks this is what they are...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

There's a strong correlation between that behavior and having two X chromosomes. Understanding there is nothing I can do to change that I've learned to deal with it without getting all balled up.
http://youtu.be/-4EDhdAHrOg

I just can't put up with it. I'm a loving engineer, if you put problems in front of me, I will try to fix them. If you want to just sit there having a whinge while going round in an endless circle, do it elsewhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of our rival companies got in serious trouble over using not-to-spec packaging for parts. At point of use, a cardboard box split, and a couple of hundred small bolts got dropped into a turbine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mat_Drinks posted:

AI acts like the Juke is the inbred offspring of the Aztec and the PT Cruiser, but I'd argue it's got the face of newer Mazdas (especially the 2), but on some really good coke. My only criticism is that you can't get AWD and a manual transmission together, but still, for what is essentially a mom mobile it's way more interesting looking than 90% of the boring small and midsize SUVs out there. :colbert:
It is a pointless, chubby, pretend 4x4 that doesn't do anything particularly well, and is ugly as gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

Holy hell. I feel so bad for her :(

rscott posted:

Holy poo poo that is hosed up.
Exactly how big of an rear end-kicking in court are we looking at here? GM's counsel just saying "Look, give us a blank cheque, stay home, and watch The Rainmaker until I call you"?

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeeeaaaaah I aint buying that one. A Terios is challenged by a driveway, let alone anything that remotely approaches unsealed roads.
Miniature SUVs? PANDA 4X4 SUPREMACY! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not gonna lie, as soon as the 2003 Panda 4x4 becomes legal for import I will be trying to figure out how to get one across the Atlantic.

By 2018 its piddly little motor will probably actually make fuel-economy sense for North America.
Original Pandas are over the age limit anyway, and much better off-road.

• Locked thread