Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
http://www.airportacura.com/certified/Acura/2011-Acura-TSX+Sport+Wagon-Cleveland-75db6fae0a0a00de16b02dede7dbcd63.htm

You guys think this is worth taking a look at? I've kind of wanted a wagon for awhile but I'm wary of the mileage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

48k is something to be wary of? :stare:

It's a 3 (model) year old vehicle; that puts it at 16k a year. Which is a little above the US average of 12k/year.

It's entirely possible it's a 2011, built and sold in 2010. Which would put it right at 12k/year.

The K24 in that should run for 250k+ with nothing more than maintenance. It's a proven engine that's used in drat near everything Honda makes (that's not a Fit or non-Si Civic).

I probably should have specified that it wasn't the mileage per say but the mileage in what seems like a short period of time. It's reassuring to know that it should be a reliable car.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo. Aside from the K24, the transmission is the regular Hondamatic that they sorted out years ago, and while the TSX is nicely equipped it doesn't go overboard on gadgets that might fail like a Mercedes or BMW. It's a badge engineered and loaded up European Accord Wagon.

That's good to know. I think I'm going to go take a look at it later this week. Anything that I should be wary of on these? I've never owned a luxury car before.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like that wagon sold.

Oh well.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I found out tonight that my last close friend in my hometown is moving away tomorrow.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

I know of 3 friends that are still in my home town.

One is actually making a decent living in real estate (rental properties) - the guy nobody thought would go anywhere. He graduated at the bottom of the class. Decent guy, total meathead. Out of everyone I've stayed in touch with from my home town, that's still in my home town, he's done the best by far.

The valedictorian of my class is morbidly obese (less than 5', around 250 lbs), on welfare, with a deadbeat husband that hasn't worked in 5 years. She has a nursing degree, but since they have 2 kids and can't afford day care or sitters, it's hard for her to work. Their house is classic hoarder as well, you literally cannot see the floor anywhere in the entire house. I'm not a neat guy by any means, but every time I visit, I feel so bad for their kids.

The 3rd is 34... and AFAIK, has never had a job, nor has he ever moved out of his parents house. He graduated the year after I did.

(my graduating class was less than 20, yay tiny schools)

Others from my high school: one is a cop in Arizona (he was a bully in school, we're actually somewhat-friends now); another became a carnie, then settled into restaurant management up north. He just got canned from that; he was almost my stepbrother at one point too.

It must be depressing for you to go back there.

It feels weird being the only one left here. In one hand, I'm happy for them. For the most part, they're all doctors, lawyers, or engineers and they're off doing better things. It's not like I'm doing badly myself, I work at a software company. I don't know how to describe it. I also never thought I'd come back here after college but who does?

In unrelated notes, I took my girlfriends car into the shop. It's a 1997 grand am. We were scared taking it in and they called me back this afternoon. It needs almost $2000 worth of work. She doesn't have the money for that, not that the car is really worth fixing to begin with, nor the money to get a new car.

Any suggestions? I can't remember the specifics but it needs a new water pump, some suspension work, and something with the steering wheel.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Find $2k somewhere. Or fix it yourself for :20bux:. Could be either. Can you dig out their actual quote and list everything they've said?

Here's everything they said:

Water Pump - It's leaking coolant and in order to change this it takes 7 hours because you have to pull about half of the engine apart. - $800.
Steering rod tie end - $250
Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly x2, Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link, Wheel alignment - $800

I hope that made sense to you guys. KBB says it's worth about $1500.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Maybe they don't know? How much are you supposed to "pay" for those kinds of things?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I test drove an Impreza, Forrester, and Outback today. They were all solid choices. I've never bought a brand new car though. Due to where I work, they're willing to sell me the cars at invoice. Is invoice good or should I aim for better? I checked KBB and they're about $500 - $1000 more than what a "fair" price would be. I think I am going to go with the Impreza so I don't know how much that affects my negotiation chances since it's a compact and they're not very hard to sell these days.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

If your trying to buy a decent Subaru for cheap, buy a used one.

Something like this?

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4502995869.html

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's AI having a quarter life crisis today?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought the vw golf was the hipster car

http://jalopnik.com/further-proof-the-volkswagen-golf-is-a-hipster-car-1099358034

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm just curious, did wagoneer prices spike in the last few years? How about the aztek? They were both featured on breaking bad

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Continuing the theme of age, I'm 25 and the lady at Costco didn't even try to sell me a credit card.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Just released the news we are having another child on FB.... Now I get to pretend I care how happy family I don't like are.

In other news the Mrs is happy so we are go for project Mini.

Congrats on having another child!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Darchangel posted:

A few beers/ciders a week (3-6), soda once or twice a week, and usually sugar-free, probably too much fried and fast food, though way less than, say 10 years ago. I think my main problem is the weight already gained previously, and little exercise. I'm not gaining anything, but I'm not losing much if any either. I do tend to eat more than one serving of stuff that tastes good. That's something I need to moderate badly. So more how much I eat rather than what, really. I'm one of those people that just really likes the taste of food. Unfortunately, what I tend to like is good old Southern cooking, Italian, German and Mexican stuff.

You just have to start small and work your way up. First off, how much water are you drinking a day? If you're not drinking any or not that much, go out of your way to drink an extra glass than you do a day and build yourself up. This will probably cut some calories out. I don't think I need to tell you if you cut back more on your alcohol consumption that'll also cut more calories.

Since you mentioned eating multiple servings, just start cutting back little by little. Eventually, you'll want to replace some of your sides with healthier options. Instead of getting fries, get a side of vegetables or a small salad. Don't give up everything you like, just slowly over time add in more fruits and vegetables and less fried food. You don't have to be super healthy every meal and if you make a mistake and eat something you shouldn't have, don't beat yourself up for it and be more mindful about it your next meal.

The hardest part about working out is getting into a routine. For me, I tried to go after work because I know if I don't, I won't go at all. I used to listen to podcasts but now I watch TV on my tablet. If I'm going to watch it anyway, I might as well be burning calories. You have to find something you enjoy so you'll keep going to the gym. One day, you're just going to have to make a decision and just go. Sorry I don't have any better advice on this.

I've been working out and watching my diet more closely. I've lost about 10 lbs since the beginning of May and I'm aiming to lose another 10 or so by the end of the summer. I have a real taste for food and I can eat way more than I should. It's a struggle but I feel better than I ever have in my life.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Serious Sam 3 is part of this week's humble bundle of anyone is curious.

I drove a juke awhile back. I had fun and didn't think it was too bad of a car. The Nissan tech though told me that they weren't very reliable. Take that with a grain of salt.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't know how long this will last or how good it is but Amazon has a Bluetooth OBD2 for $13.25

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...ASIN=B005NLQAHS

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Devyl posted:

Holy hell. I feel so bad for her :(

My dad wanted to buy a regal a few months ago. I am so glad that we didn't.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Got the death by ignition recall done on my car.

They said they'd mail proof it'd been done (never showed up). They entered the work done as "ELECTRICAL; Repair" (that's the entirety of what they typed) into their own system, which updated GM Owner Center with that. They also put the wrong mileage (off by 3k) in that entry. Can't get my service advisor to respond to email or phone calls asking about the receipt he said he'd mail (it was to be mailed as the cashier was "busy" when my car was ready, according to the SA - and since I'd been waiting over 2 hours when I was told it'd take 45 minutes, and was dodging their sales guys nonstop just trying to walk to get lunch while they had my car, I was more than ready to GTFO).

I was kind of hoping to have proof of that for whenever I sell the car. Probably more of a lovely dealer, but it still reflects on GM more than a bit.

"Getting your death trap fixed? Why not buy a new death trap! I swear we're not the old gm"

Normally I'd say that it's just a lovely dealer too but after all of these recalls I don't think I feel safe in a gm car from the last 15 years. I can't be the only one who's expecting more cars to be recalled.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So I guess I'm moving to Cleveland in a year and a half. The girlfriend is at her corporate training and they have pretty much locked her in for a corporate position after her minimum time as a property manager (1 year). Is the song correct, does Cleveland in fact rock?

I live in Cleveland. It's not so bad. Anything that you're curious about in particular?

I knew what those videos were going to be even before I clicked. Those videos are great.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I guess the area is called Pepper Pike, a slightly upscale area? Know anything about this place? Proximity to downtown? How car enthusiast unfriendly is Cleveland? Taylor (the lady) got a parking ticket yesterday at a parking meter but the meter wasn't expired.

Edit: oh yeah, this just happened.

199.6. Under 200 for the first time in god knows when, 20 pounds lost.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I am not familiar with that town but based off of Google that's on the east side and I'm on the west side. The city that it's right next to, Beachwood, is very affluent. They had a bunch of million dollar cars at the Cleveland auto show this year and I believe the dealership that sells them was located there.
I think it's at least 30 minutes from downtown but I'm not super familiar with the area.

Not really sure what you mean by not car enthusiast friendly. What are you planning on doing?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Finally found someone who let me learn stick on their car. I'm not super proficient at it or anything but I can drive around without stalling.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Edit: Silly double post.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know as often as I say "I would love to have like a whole month to gently caress around" I go bonkers after having a couple of days off. Maybe its because work is so ingrained into my head (I have held a job since I was 14), or something? I do take time to go out and gently caress around with my vehicles, but that loses its luster after a day or two. I go ape poo poo if I have a week of vacation bunched together.

But why I wanna be at work all the time? I have no idea.

It gives you something to do? Usually the first week of vacation is fun but after that I always find myself lost and I don't know what to do.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The Subaru salesman I was dealing with is out for the week and I've been trying to get a hold of the sales manager. I called him twice yesterday but I don't think he's going to be calling me back today.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

N is for Nipples posted:

So my graphics card is currently in the process of violently and repeatedly making GBS threads the bed. I'm waiting on a response from XFX support but it's supposed to have a double lifetime warranty, and supposedly they're pretty cool with decent replacements. I really hope they don't stick me with some shitbox considering how $$$$ this thing was new.

In my experience, they'll at least give you a refurbished one of what you have and if they don't they'll upgrade you.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I sort of did a thing today.

I put down a deposit on a 2014 Subaru Outback.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Did you know there's a new one coming out in the fall, or is that part of your plan?

The new ones are out already. I got a manual and they discontinued that in the 2015s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Ah I didn't realize they were here already. I just wanted to make sure you aren't paying too much for the outgoing model ;)
Yeah I noticed there's no manual. On the new Forester there is a manual available but only on the base model and it's mileage rating is worse than the auto (or CVT I forgot). I guess they decided not to even bother with this one.

Ah, thanks for looking out for me, sorry if I sounded a little hostile. I was between a fairly loaded impreza and this base outback but the outback was going to have cheaper payments and cheaper to insure. I've always wanted a station wagon so I went with that. More car for the same amount of money. :)

• Locked thread