Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tomorrow I get most of the rest of the parts for my Beetle. Tail lights, pulleys, shifter bushings and a quick shift kit, cigarette lighter socket, and a few other surprises :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The Colts can suck my rear end in a top hat but I scored 6 free folding chairs from work today.

2 Colts, 3 Cowboys and 1 Dolphins. Only thing wrong is the edge of some of the feet are cracked. Boss just decided to chuck them and said I could have them.

Only use the dolphins one, and when you sit in it, keep mumbling something about Einhorn.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress is going on with my brain? Am I having a stroke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXJKdh1KZ0w

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I asked who I thought was the president of the HOA at our townhouses (she lives in one of the units) if it was okay if I worked on my car a little bit in the covered parking. She looked pissed but responded that she wasn't the HOA president anymore, but it was some management company now. News to me, but explains the change from WM to some lovely private trash collection company. She never actually said I couldn't work on my car, though, so I made use of the shaded work area.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Why would you do that?

Because she was generally a nice lady, I enjoy getting along with my neighbors, and I was reading the (apparently now old) HOA agreement I found in a cabinet that said car work of any kind in the covered parking was prohibited. I mean, I hate HOAs with a passion, but we're living here with cheapass rent in a nicer area of town (seriously, what we're paying to my uncle barely covers the HOA fees alone), and I'd rather not bite the hand.

If you were joking, then that's awesome. But sometimes on SA you can't tell a joke from a genuine antisocial sperglord, and I can't keep track of who's who all of the time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aaaaand it turns out Hagerty has the cheapest car insurance for the Beetle, with the best coverage. Seriously, Progressive, Geico, USAA et al can barely scrape an additional $20/month (for an additional vehicle), or $40/month (for the car alone w/o addon discounts) with bare-bones state minimums, whereas Hagerty is claiming they can get me 100k/300k, towing, $0 deductible theft/collision, and a ton of other poo poo for that price. Or, I could roughly double my current state-minimum coverage, and get something for nary $10/month that's still better than anything else I have. I know it can't be my daily driver (I have other cars) and it must be stored privately, but that's more than doable for the difference in cost.

I know this isn't the insurance thread, but this is bazongas.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 6, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

meatpimp posted:

That coverage is extremely bad. I thought I was on the lower end with 100/300 coverage.

As I said, I've been running for years with the state minimums (15/30), and that was just an example quote. I know running minimums is hilariously bad, and the one I posted is pretty bad, but it's still better than what I had, for example only. It's like $40/year to bump it to 100/300 (their max I think?).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm going to build one of those 5 gallon bucket swamp coolers for my beetle. Bad idea or worst idea? I think a high CFM 120mm fan, a 12v pond pump, and a bucket with some holes drilled in it is worth an afternoon of my time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I live in Phoenix. It's like an average of 7% humidity for weeks on end. Seriously, I have every part except for the tubing and mesh just sitting around. I even have an old 12v aquarium pump.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I turn 27 in December, and I hate my life and everything I [haven't] done with it. But I narcotize myself daily with video games, cars, and/or alcohol, so I have that going for me.

Also, don't join the Army. Seriously. Just, don't.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that the 12v outlets on new cars (and aftermarket ones) are way, WAY deeper than before? I have a dual USB charger that doesn't even work in a few cars and the socket I put in the Beetle because the socket is too deep.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm moving to Murrieta tomorrow. Its loving cold. In Oceanside at the moment, and it's cold.

Should be noted I just moved from Guam, so my sense of hot/cold is off. But still. 75 during the day and 50s at night sucks. I've been dying on my bike.

I would kill for those temps. Those are summer temps from my hometown, but here I Phoenix it's nearing triple digits in the dark

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys. GUYS. Spintires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFDDt-iSZDY

Spintires.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is it an actual refund, or one of those things where they authorized the amount, then they dropped the authorization, but the timestamps were messed up so the bank showed it as a refund then a charge? I've had that happen with smaller credit unions, and USAA once. Also, do you actually use it enough to justify the 13/month? Just curious.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Everything I own has a taste for oil. I see nothing wrong with this.

My beetle doesn't use oil :smug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had a Nokai 5800 Xpressmusic that had a dedicated, two-stage shutter button, like a real camera. In it's day it was pretty awesome, and survived BCT and AIT with me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

thegasman2000 posted:

So my step mum's Dacia Sandero was delivered. She didn't order the spare wheel and went for the inflation kit instead.... To be fair £500 quid was quite a hit on a 5 grand car.

It's plastic everywhere with panel gaps Lancia would be proud of but it's a car i suppose with a 3 year warranty. Meh

Good news?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That cardboard looks suspiciously fresh.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Apparently, Dominos pizza uses electric scooters in many countries. They added a novelty "safe sound" system to some of them. Note: "lekker" means tasty, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17B_uFF4cA

And, electric Harley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaEX5jh5Lk

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
reversedgif.com

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Assigned townhouse parking, bitches. Also, we're the only lot with a back gate, and it opens right to the side street, so it's practically unlimited parking out there because nobody wants to walk around. It's GLO-RI-OUS :allears:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was the engine, perhaps, leaking oil so badly that it had continuously coated the exhaust system?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

What an astonishingly selfish woman. It's not a particularly rare care, but why just destroy something like that? I'd have had a drat good shouting session at her.

When I cop it, I want any cars and tools etc I have to go to various friends who I know would like them, and the rest sold to other enthusiasts.

Cakefool posted:

I just found out that the woman selling the gt6 restoration project decided she couldn't bear the thought of having anyone other than her dead husband driving it so she had it crushed.

:what:

I'm so angry right now.

She's...not selfish at all? You're allowed to honor the dead and poo poo, and crushing a car (that she owns, mind you) because of possible good/bad memories, or out of respect for her husband, is completely within bounds and not crazy at all. I mean, you can give the poo poo away, or sell it, but you're by no means legally or morally obligated to do so. It was your poo poo. Do what you want. You're seriously saying that you'd shout at this woman? Spergers be spergin'.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's okay to be mad if she went back on an agreement. It's not okay to criticize their reasons unless they were otherwise deliberately malicious. If she did it to go "ha ha gently caress you GOTCHA," then anger above and beyond the simple fact she wasted his time is justified. If she did it because of some weird internal guilt slash husband's memories, then yelling at her (again, above "I'm very disappointed/angry/seething that you wasted my time and broke a promise") makes you look like an anti-social crazy person. And determining if something is wasted is all a matter of perspective.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Hmmm
When I was younger I got rid of some crappy vodka by mixing it with ice cream. I don't think it was that great.

That's because liquors and sugary milk fat don't go well together.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

trouser chili posted:

I've been reading /r/cars. I think for a while we should use condoms, just until my tests come back.

Anything other than /justrolledintotheshop is terrible. Never go on Reddit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:smithicide:

I would totally be with a backup forum, just in case SA goes down forever. The switchover could be done pretty easily.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cage posted:

Selling a watch on ebay. Someone from China signed up for an account on the 23rd and placed a bid. Theres about 24 hours left now and I get a message.

Which google tells me roughly translates to "The watch is too serious signs of wear, I do not want to buy it"

Sorry buddy, I hope someone else bids on it I guess. I cant delete bids.

Why doesn't ebay have a "ban new buyers" option or something? All they have is "ban people with negative feedback from my past auctions and other useless poo poo. I've had too many auctions, or even too-many Buy-It-Now's, ruined by people/scammers (scammers aren't people) signing up an hour before, then bidding, then disappearing into the night. What, do they think I'm going to ship it before receiving payment? And of course, I can't set my listing options to "require immediate payment," because I have to have a business account, and you can't get a business account without sucking some seriously warty cock.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Are you talking about that BMW that crashed at 1:07?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

trouser chili posted:

Also, something else AI followed me home. Details to come.

Ty-remus?!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1997 Cadillac DeVille with a jag swap

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AI has made terrible decisions in the past month, and it is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Show up for work, no partner, so I've been sitting for six hours watching Top Gear. Six more hours to go.

• Locked thread