Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's still June 1 here! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

I've never heard of being able to buy pads for a single wheel, I'd imagine it's a full axle's worth, ie 4 pads. Unless something's really weird on your vehicle (miata? i forget what all's in your stable)

Yeah, every box of pads / shoes I've ever bought has been an axle set.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

48k is something to be wary of? :stare:

No poo poo. Aside from the K24, the transmission is the regular Hondamatic that they sorted out years ago, and while the TSX is nicely equipped it doesn't go overboard on gadgets that might fail like a Mercedes or BMW. It's a badge engineered and loaded up European Accord Wagon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

That's good to know. I think I'm going to go take a look at it later this week. Anything that I should be wary of on these? I've never owned a luxury car before.

Honestly, nothing. My brother-in-law had a TSX sedan for a few years and the most trouble it ever gave him was I think some speaker issues - though I can't say that wasn't user over-volume induced error either :v:

Like I said, it's not a luxury car in the same vein as anything European, or even a high-end Lexus. A regular Accord with all of the options checked will be extremely similar in features, just in a bigger car with an H on the front instead of an A. You're never going to have to deal with GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM, vacuum-operated anything, timing chains on the wrong side of the engine, etc.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How many letters does your state allow on plates? Is "ODIFRUS" available?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Live sports is the big reason to keep cable these days; if you can do without that in one way or another then you're well ahead by cutting it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

One other huge benefit of Hagerty - you get to skip the emissions test.

InitialDave - the big insurance companies tend to treat classics much the same way as they treat regular cars. If anything they treat them worse since in their view, old = worthless. I'm not aware of any of the big-name auto insurance providers that write a decent classic plan. Hell, I think Geico just tells people to go to Hagerty.

The smaller guys like Hagerty that specialize in it, actually get the value of the vehicles. They do place some limits on how the vehicle can be used (some providers require mileage limits, some require type-of-use limits) and almost all require a minimum driver age of 25.

It also gets hilariously cheap to add another vehicle to it... you know, if you feel the need to go a bit more Jay Leno.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do post up on how well that works if you build it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is there no RV storage you can rent a space from anywhere near by?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I grill them till they're crispy and then coat with sriracha sauce mixed with butter, lime, soy sauce, cilantro and vinegar buy I'm not sure they are healthier one way or another.

This reads better as a reply to Rhyno's post.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I miss LAN parties, its hard to find enough adults with the time and willingness to do it anymore.

And even when you do, there's too many drat games to choose from anymore.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

This happened Saturday night. Started it Sunday morning and it was still ticking. Started it again Monday evening to show it to the tow truck driver and it sounded like... uh, a tired old small block. Totally goddamn normal. So he just drove it up onto the ramp and I parked it at the shop as if nothing had happened. Three days in the shop and they tested every goddamn thing and said they scoped it (guessing that means sticking a camera in it or something) and drove it 44 miles and came up with exactly nothing wrong with it apart from too much oil.

What in the goddamn :psyduck: uunnnggggghhhh
I don't know which engine your Burb has but... welcome to life with a (small/big) block Chevy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like a lot of the same hardware that's on my smaller / older Costco compressor. It has to refill after taking off one wheel's worth of lugnuts with the IR rattlegun I got off of JnnyThndrs, but it refills quickly enough and hasn't ever complained. It did develop a minor leak somewhere in the manifold / valves when I wasn't using it for a long time... and then fixed itself when I used it more often than once a month for a while. Don't know, don't care.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Careful, you just banned Sterling Archer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I bought an Evo 3D because of the shutter button. Sight-unseen, of course.

Problem was, the butter's actuation was so loving stiff that taking a picture using it guaranteed you'd shake the loving phone. loving HTC.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

We don't get anything approaching a proper ute up here anymore, but there are plenty of people who would like something that has an open bed with the driving dynamics of a car.

Now, whether that thing is any good, is another story.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sweet merciful Christ, I can stop trying to get my fix via Jalopnik.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Meth is a hell of a drug.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

So jealous... The local track is $25? $30? To race, like $10 to spectate, no ride alongs unless you pay another entrance fee (if you're not a driver), and I need to buy a firesuit since my Volvo isn't running a stock turbo anymore...

Plus, the loving lines. I'd kill for staging lines that short at Firebird Wild Horse Pass. It's the biggest reason I never took my MS3 down the strip.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, but it's not like you can just park your car and go watch for most of that time either (not that watching 14-second+ cars is terribly exciting). You'll spend most of the hour inching forward like it's I10 in Los Angeles.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser "13 Inch Biturbo" chili

Godspeed you glorious bastard. I've come close to making some terrible/awesome purchases this past month; the first I just plain didn't move fast enough on, the second I got cold feet because the seller went unresponsive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Onward and forward

• Locked thread