Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So some news about Squeak.

We took him to the regular vet today. They saw the bloodwork from the emergency vet and agreed he was in bad shape, but they want to try to hospitalize him for a few days. I agreed.

Talked to them a little while ago - he's definitely feeling a little better, he's making one hell of a racket and generally making life hell for their techs. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CountOfNowhere posted:

People who are complaining about ROCKAUTO shipping: have you noticed that it'll tell you what warehouses stuff is shipping from? once you add items to your cart it'll show little truck icons next to parts in the catalog that are coming from the same warehouse. More than one warehouse in the cart and it'll assign a letter to each warehouse so you can optimize to the max! Takes a little work but ends up saving mad $$.

I've played the Rockauto shipping game plenty - I've had two items in my cart, both from one warehouse; when I add a third item, suddenly each item is coming from a different warehouse. Remove that third item and it's back to 1 warehouse.

There's something really screwy with their ordering; it's enough that I mostly use them to look up part numbers and buy from Amazon instead, unless Rockauto is significantly cheaper.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like the new meds are working. 2 days in a row of blood pressure around 125/85. Blood sugar is still :stare: (just measured 177), but not :stonk: high (like when I measured 315).

Downside is I suddenly have the appetite of a horse; I think all the weight I've lost is going to re-appear.

mariooncrack posted:

http://www.airportacura.com/certified/Acura/2011-Acura-TSX+Sport+Wagon-Cleveland-75db6fae0a0a00de16b02dede7dbcd63.htm

You guys think this is worth taking a look at? I've kind of wanted a wagon for awhile but I'm wary of the mileage.

48k is something to be wary of? :stare:

It's a 3 (model) year old vehicle; that puts it at 16k a year. Which is a little above the US average of 12k/year.

It's entirely possible it's a 2011, built and sold in 2010. Which would put it right at 12k/year.

The K24 in that should run for 250k+ with nothing more than maintenance. It's a proven engine that's used in drat near everything Honda makes (that's not a Fit or non-Si Civic).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 3, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, went to see my cat today. He's... not happy about the IV, and was growling at the vet techs when I walked in. He started to hiss at me, then I guess he recognized me.

They'd just finished doing blood work, and... it's not looking so good. His kidney and liver functions haven't improved much at all They're going to keep him another night, but the vet didn't seem very hopeful. :smith:

One unhappy catte:

Holdbrooks posted:

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!?!?

I was in a convenience store the other day, and a goofy looking guy (probably 16?) ran in and yelled "I'M AN EVIL GENIUS, TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?!" and ran back out. Wearing super short shorts and a tie-die turtleneck.

It was definitely a :wtf: moment.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

I found out tonight that my last close friend in my hometown is moving away tomorrow.

I know of 3 friends that are still in my home town.

One is actually making a decent living in real estate (rental properties) - the guy nobody thought would go anywhere. He graduated at the bottom of the class. Decent guy, total meathead. Out of everyone I've stayed in touch with from my home town, that's still in my home town, he's done the best by far.

The valedictorian of my class is morbidly obese (less than 5', around 250 lbs), on welfare, with a deadbeat husband that hasn't worked in 5 years. She has a nursing degree, but since they have 2 kids and can't afford day care or sitters, it's hard for her to work. Their house is classic hoarder as well, you literally cannot see the floor anywhere in the entire house. I'm not a neat guy by any means, but every time I visit, I feel so bad for their kids.

The 3rd is 34... and AFAIK, has never had a job, nor has he ever moved out of his parents house. He graduated the year after I did.

(my graduating class was less than 20, yay tiny schools)

Others from my high school: one is a cop in Arizona (he was a bully in school, we're actually somewhat-friends now); another became a carnie, then settled into restaurant management up north. He just got canned from that; he was almost my stepbrother at one point too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So STR catte... came home today. Alive. He's skinny as hell, and his kidneys still aren't doing so hot (but doing better - vet showed me the bloodwork over the past few days, there's been a gradual improvement). He's on prescription food now, and not eating a whole lot - but he is eating. The vet believes he's not in any pain; also said (paraphrasing) "he might live a week, he might live a few years. Kidneys are completely hosed, but with the right diet he'll live out the rest of his life comfortably".

He's definitely feeling a bit better - he was attempting to murder the vet and both techs when I showed up; I could hear him screaming from the lobby. That's how he normally is at the vet :haw::hf::catstare: - one of the techs commented "you can tell they're feeling better when their real personality comes out" :v:

(he really is sweet at home, but he's a holy terror when he's outside of his comfort zone)

mariooncrack posted:

It must be depressing for you to go back there.

To an extent, yeah. It's a very scenic area (if you like desert and mountains), but it's also very much a small town mindset - despite being a large city (~3/4 million population). For example, last time I was there, the ~BREAKING NEWS~ was of some idiot that wrapped a car around a pole. They kept hassling the cops to "find out how this TERRIBLE tragedy occurred" and "who was involved" (cops kept saying "no names, dude's dead, haven't notified next of kin, gently caress off"). The anchors were providing detailed directions on how to get around that section of I-10 (exit so and so, turn right at the 3rd stop sign, turn left a block further, take your first right, etc). Any other decent sized city, it'd be a blip on the traffic report. Here, it'd be "There's an accident on <x highway at nearest exit>, avoid that area" and that'd be it.

That said, my doctor would probably have a stroke if he saw my diet every time I go back to visit. It's a border town; I grew up on border food. I may as well mainline lard while I'm there, but goddamn the food is amazing.

The only reason I go back is to visit my dad. Not to be morbid, but once he's gone, the only other time I'll ever be back there will be to bury my mom (she has a spot near her father's grave). The few friends I stay in touch with from there are on facebook

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 5, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

ughhhhhhh

First really hot day of the year (got up to like 97 with 50% humidity) and now the loving house A/C is acting up. Compressor seems to be running, "Cool On" indicator on the thermostat lights up (but eventually starts flashing, which worries me) and the air handler gets cold, but the fan won't kick on, even when set to "on" instead of "auto".

This is a whole new A/C system; the whole refrigeration system, air handler and thermostat were replaced last year, including a new, larger condenser assembly (for whatever new refrigerant they're phasing in). I also found out today that it has a re-usable mesh type filter; we cleaned it and just reinstalled it, no change so far. Hopefully something's not hosed up.

Does the fan motor even make a humming/buzzing? If so, I'd bet on a bad capacitor. If not, it could be, well, anything.. they've added so many drat electronics to those things dagnabit. :corsair::arghfist: There's usually a status LED somewhere on the control board, and whatever panel you have to remove from the air handler to get to it will have a chart showing what blinks mean what. On most units I've had, it's whatever panel you remove to get to the blower.

Still, 1 year old.. call the installer. I would hope it'd still be under warranty.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Terrist posted:

Has there ever been a AI regular older than me anyway???

Quite a few. :haw:

(not me, though I'm older than most of these whippersnappers at 35)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Coasterphreak posted:

Of the top of my head, PainterOfCrap is in his late forties/fifties, daslog and possibly Bulk Vanderhuge and Viggen are in your general vicinity, I'm not sure about IOC but he's probably a bit younger than you. Das Volk strikes me as fortyish, but I really have no clue on him.

(This is based upon general posting maturity level and who I can recall that has younger/teenage/adult children, I am sure at least one of these is way off base)

IIRC Viggen has 2-3 years on me, which would put him in his late 30s.

Motronic is close to painterofcrap's (assumed) age, I think.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A few years back when I worked my grocery store job, I carded a guy for beer. He was a regular, but I'd never seen him buy alcohol before.

He went off about how we always card him and how he's really 42. I told him to take it as a compliment. :haw:

Next time he was in I carded him just to be an rear end :v: (then pulled the JUST KIDDING bit)

I still get carded occasionally, but only when I have a hat on (it hides most of the grays). :corsair: I turn 36 in 2 months...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

STR cat quit eating again, and has a lot of mud butt action going on (also quit grooming himself). Along with a lot of hair falling out.

So if any of you balding guys need some light colored hair, my cat is giving most of his away at the moment. Mixture of red and blonde. Any takers? :shepicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Buce? Is that you?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm so confused. :confused:

I got a new debit card a couple of weeks ago, and updated my OnStar billing info almost a week ago.

Got an email yesterday saying they can't bill my card and to update my billing information. I login to the OnStar account, has the correct billing info. Log in to my online banking (it's a secondary account I don't check daily), and see that OnStar has refunded $21.60 to my debit card as of a few days ago. The new debit card; they wouldn't be able to refund to the old card at this point (and the date the refund was authorized was the day I updated the OnStar account; it posted 2 days later).

I'm on their $12.99/mo retention plan; even if I wasn't, the $21.60 doesn't quite add up (the normal $19.99/mo would be $21.64 with tax). And I never asked for them to cancel the account.

:iiam:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I dreamed... about my alarm clock going off, and not being able to turn it off. :argh:

(alarm clock is actually off IRL, since it's my day off)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got a laundry basket full of dirty clothes, including work clothes that I need for tomorrow.

.... along with a very broken washer, and the nearest laundromat is about 8 miles away. :sigh: Probably leave a couple of hours early and hit the laundromat by work.

At least it's just the timer. It fills, but won't agitate or spin unless you constantly gently caress with the timer (for a few seconds at a time for agitate; it'll usually do half of a spin cycle if you gently caress with it long enough, and only for wash... doesn't do anything except fill up for rinse now), and it makes arcing sounds/smells when you do. $150 for a new timer :argh: - should be here on Tuesday. Hopefully.

16 years with no repairs is decent, right?

Rhyno posted:

we had loud sex in the bathroom and a cop knocked on our door 20 minutes later.

:golfclap:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 13, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

New driver started at work last week. I've worked with him on day shifts; tonight was my first time working with him after dark.

Noticed him pulling into work with his parking lights and DRLs. Asked him why he was using DRLs at night, he said those were the low beams. I asked him to show me how he turns on the high beams.

Coworker: *reaches forward and turns on headlight switch*
Me: .... those are your low beams
Coworker: Then how do I turn on the high beams? I'm pretty sure those are the high beams. :colbert:
Me: *reaches in and pulls the turn signal stalk backwards until it clicks*
Coworker: ............ :doh:

To be fair, it's a 95 S-10, which runs the headlights at reduced brightness whenever it's running/parking brake off (5 speed manual), and there's a separate button on the dash to turn on the headlights (it pushes the parking light switch at the same time if they're not already on), in its wonderfully 80s-90s GM interior way. And he's only owned it about 2 weeks.

Still gave me a good laugh though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit OnStar, stop being so bipolar. Bipolar is my job, damnit. :argh:

Gave them my new debit card #... three times in the past 2 weeks. They refunded, for some unknown reason, a full month of full retail rates to the new card. Then turned around and charged it for the same amount. Then started calling me wanting to get a new form of payment today, and swore up and down my $12.99/mo rate expired in December (they last charged me in April for $12.99 + tax). Then they say that they can't give that rate anymore; their best is $14.99, with only a tiny discount to pay by the year. They had the correct debit card on file when I talked to them today, so that's a bit of progress.

I guess the lesson is don't try to change the payment method when you're on a retention plan. It took about 20 minutes on the phone to get it straightened out (... thought it was fixed, twice over), but I got a decent credit this time around. And they actually had the correct card # on file when I talked to them this time.

Nobody I've talked to (live chat, email, and phone calls) can tell me why I got an unexplained refund, it doesn't show up in any records they could find.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 14, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was an actual refund; it's been showing for almost a week now. The charge showed up Thursday morning; you may notice it showed up as "debit card refund" in the screen shot too. There was never an authorization for that amount, and the $21.60 isn't even the plan I was supposed to be on. They swear up and down that the retention plan I was on expired on Dec 31st, but they've charged me for four months (Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr) at that rate. They never charged me for May. :iiam:

USAA is really good about showing authorizations, as well as showing anticipated completed charges long before any other bank/CU I've used - to the point that if I run my card as credit at a gas pump, they show the full amount within a few minutes of leaving the gas station. My credit union takes a few days to show the complete charge (they just show the $1 preauth until then). Obviously, if I run a card as debit, the charge shows up quickly, but I've never seen a bank or CU that showed credit-based gas pump charges the same day.

It gets a discount on my insurance, though since I switched to USAA for my insurance, the discount is quite a bit less than it was with Amica. I want to say it's taking about $30 per 6 months off, whereas with Amica, it was over $100/year (USAA does 6 month policies, Amica did 12 month).

When I talked to OnStar today (well, yesterday now), they could see the charge, but had no record of the refund. I talked to them a few days ago about the refund, and they couldn't explain it then either. They have records of the charge though.

I'm on the base OnStar plan, so it's accident reporting, car unlocking, stolen car tracking only. I've used the car unlock a couple of times (found a neat bug in the BCM that causes the car to lock the moment you close the doors in a very particular set of circumstances.. and both times I found it, the keys were sitting in the car - I keep a spare in my wallet now), I keep it 99% for the accident response, and only because I spend several hours a day in the car.

Once I'm out of delivery, I'll likely drop it.

tl;dr: no.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 14, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got another recall notice for the Ion. :argh: This time for the power steering though... which was recalled years ago on every other Delta platform car.

And....

I can do laundry again. :neckbeard: Took about 20 minutes start to finish, including pulling it away from the wall (and pushing it back). This is why I prefer the big appliances to be free of electronics; the mfg date is 1997 on this thing, and this is the first repair it's needed.

The $150 for a new timer stings a bit, though they got it here in 1 day with the cheapest shipping option. I'm impressed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

I have an ecoboost Fusion for a rental right now and its notably less terrible than other modern sedans. With the MT it'd be even better, although visibility would still be poo poo.

Wait, they offer a manual? :stonk:

.... and I just checked ford.com, the manual is available on everything except the base model. That's a surprising twist. The SE has everything I want except for a sunroof as standard equipment (and you can order it with the sunroof).

One of my coworkers has a 2012 Fusion, it's a drat nice car (especially for what he paid for it, though his is a former rental). Knowing there's a manual available just plopped the Fusion on my radar whenever I upgrade from the Ion.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

They're probably just going to say "that was old GM, we're new GM, an entirely different company, tough poo poo"

Got the death by ignition recall done on my car.

They said they'd mail proof it'd been done (never showed up). They entered the work done as "ELECTRICAL; Repair" (that's the entirety of what they typed) into their own system, which updated GM Owner Center with that. They also put the wrong mileage (off by 3k) in that entry. Can't get my service advisor to respond to email or phone calls asking about the receipt he said he'd mail (it was to be mailed as the cashier was "busy" when my car was ready, according to the SA - and since I'd been waiting over 2 hours when I was told it'd take 45 minutes, and was dodging their sales guys nonstop just trying to walk to get lunch while they had my car, I was more than ready to GTFO).

I was kind of hoping to have proof of that for whenever I sell the car. Probably more of a lovely dealer, but it still reflects on GM more than a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

exempt posted:

I'm a 26 year old dude. I cannot explain it. I've just assumed that since rates work in conjunction with average repair costs that people haven't been wrecking Fusions. Also I'm not sure how poo poo works because it's a lease. Like if I total it, who gets paid? And how much? But hey, I don't ask questions.

My insurance is $100/month. On an 8 year old Saturn. :stare: I have really lovely credit though..

And the leasing company gets paid. If there's any excess after it's paid, you might get that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have full coverage, including rental coverage, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured, accident forgiveness, etc etc etc. I don't have towing though, that's what I have AAA for.

Driving record is clean, but 2 claims in the past 5 years (1 vandalism, 1 uninsured).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's the only thing I can think of, and it's certainly not true for STR (though given his near-death experiences and job I'd probably put him firmly in the high risk category anyway, sorry duder).

You think my insurance knows what I do for a living. :allears:

It's drat near impossible for a food delivery driver to get "proper" insurance, between the cost, and finding a company that will actually insure you. I'd likely be paying 3-5x what I currently pay.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

On the pizza chat, I worked at a pizza place that recommended keeping another shirt in the car if for some reason we were involved in an accident.

We don't use car signs, so we can always just pull the "I'm on my way to work" line. But yeah, unofficially, everywhere I've worked said to keep another shirt handy. I always have one on under my uniform shirt anyway.

The Midniter posted:

A couple months ago my apartment complex came under new ownership. Since then, on two occasions, I've noticed bright orange stickers slapped on any cars with expired tags/registrations warning that they'd be towed within the next three days or so if they don't get renewed.

I just think the practice of towing your lessee's cars is shady as gently caress and a kick in the nuts. Woe to the renter who hasn't updated his tags because it would require a valid inspection that he knows he would fail because he can't afford to fix his leaky exhaust because he makes poo poo money as a pizza delivery guy (not hating on you STR!). Congratulations, now you have lost your means of employment, and owe $350 you don't have to a towing company as well as any storage fees.

Every apartment complex I've lived in had a clause in the lease about towing "inoperable vehicles". They usually defined that as expired tags, flat tires, hasn't moved in several days, or obviously hosed.

And every complex I've lived in enforced it.

I refuse to ever live on a property where they required parking permits (and visitor permits). THAT rubs me the wrong way, and all the tow operator has to say is they couldn't see the permit.

Also, expired tags are an immediate "you can't work until your tags are current" at chain pizza places. My store does 6 month inspections of vehicles, and also glances at your tags whenever they walk through the parking lot. We have one driver who can't afford to fix all the poo poo on her car (she moved from CO a year ago, and can't title it here since it won't pass safety [ball joints, cracked taillight, no muffler, brake pedal goes to the floor, no working parking brake, etc etc etc], though it does pass emissions); she's waiting tables for us now. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If there's a callbox, just give them a Google Voice #. And have the appropriate tone to open the gate in the greeting. :v: (or forward the GV# to your mobile)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No guest callbox? :stare: Even the super ghetto places I've lived had them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn, I don't want the past 24 hours to ever repeat themselves.

Several fights behind the store at work, thanks to the parking lot behind the store turning into an RV park for the weekend (since Jimmy Buffett was in town, and played at the stadium behind my store). Boss broke two of them up before cops showed up to lay down the law. Surprisingly, one of them involved a former employee beating the poo poo out of a guy on the ground... he was fired for picking a fight with our bartender last year.

Not nearly enough good staff on dining side, which lead to a ton of complaints and angry customers. Plus, we ran out of dough, of all things. The only thing we had left at 11:15 was thin crust, in medium only. Wound up closing at 11 because we were running out of every-loving-thing in the store.

Scheduled off at 11pm. Just before I'm about to clock out (at 11:30)...

Closing driver got in a wreck - guy ran a stop sign and nailed his right rear corner pretty good. Hit and run, of course, but the douche left his front bumper (and attached license plate) behind, and a state trooper witnessed it (trooper was directing traffic and wasn't near his vehicle). Closing driver isn't hurt, and his car drives, but it's going to need the rear bumper cover (and probably impact stuff behind it), along with a hubcap, possibly control arm, and some metalwork on the RR door. Fleeing driver's info is already on the police report.

This led to the closing driver getting pissed off (rightfully so) and.. (not rightfully so) walking out. Leaving me and a couple of cooks to handle an entire day's dishes alone... plus all of his prep work, my prep work, and the prep work another driver didn't finish (left early, sick). I knew I'd be staying late, but I figured it'd be more like 12, maybe 1. Not nearly 4am.

Had to drive one of the cooks home too, which normally isn't a big deal, but I was already having trouble staying awake - taking him home is about 15 minutes in the opposite direction of home.

At least I'm off work today..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goatse guy posted:

I'm unemployed again, and I've been amazingly productive in my job hunt without the forums to waste time on.

I realized that call center work isn't for me. It took me less than three days to start contemplating suicide. I've got an interview for a service advisor position tomorrow, but I'm worried that being young and female is going to work against me because people won't take me seriously.

When I took my car in for the infamous death GM ignition recall, I went in a tank top, shorts, DC shoes, and hadn't shaved in days.

It was supposed to take 45 minutes (yeah, right). Took 2 1/2 hours. Got to talk to several bored sales guys (weekday during working hours). Two of them invited me to apply for... service advisor positions. Another suggested I apply for a lot porter job (which, apparently, pays $12/hr at this lot).

They had several female SAs as well. I was honestly hoping I'd get to deal with one of them instead of a Good Ol' Boy, but luck wasn't on my side. :sigh:

I decided not to apply when I read through the application and saw that they require regular drug tests.. I like my :420: too much. Also most of the sales guys were sleazeballs who were trying to talk me into at least a test drive despite me stating several times "my reported income last year was under $20k and I'm underwater on my loan as it is, why the gently caress would I want more debt?".

Mat_Drinks posted:

It's good to have the forums back, but seriously there were some gem posts on the Facebook group with SA down.

I registered automotivesanity.com for nothing :sigh:

Anyone want it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goatse guy posted:

I'm tired of the places that desperately need employees but still take two weeks to a month to call back. I'm used to working in restaurants where you'll start the next day if you can fog up a mirror.

My current job:

Applied online.
Heard back about a week later.
Scheduled an interview for a week after that.
Had the interview, went well.
Crickets chirping for another 2 weeks, they finally called and offered me a job.

This is a restaurant..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Had my followup doctor visit today.

The last 3 visits, he didn't want me to exercise, do yard work, or even do anything outside on a hot day - blood pressure was sky high, even when tracking it at home.

It was still holyshit at the dr (since I'm always a nervous wreck at the dr), but my tracking at home with a decent Omron machine has it in the 130/90 area pretty consistently. Still a bit high, but he cleared me to start exercising.

Went for a jog today to celebrate, made it about half a block before I wanted to die. Still managed to do about 2 miles of alternating walking/jogging (mostly walking).

He wants to see me lose at least 5 lbs by our next visit (2 months). I promised 10. :ohdear:

e: I'm hoping to be into half-marathon shape by the end of the summer. Maybe not running the whole way, but at least completing at a decent pace.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 27, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn what a lovely day at work. Too many drivers, not enough business. Then once the closing manager took over the till (after counting it), he gave myself and another driver access - that way we don't have to find a manager to cash us out on every run, and we can handle carry-out orders. It's normal for the closing driver to have till access, and to handle a lot of dispatch duties. I closed. The other driver with access was the late driver.

.... till came up $100 short, exactly. I know it wasn't me, I know drat well it wasn't the other driver. I ran a till audit, and saw the other driver used that computer exactly once - to reprint a receipt (which doesn't open the drawer). I saw two no-sales under my name; I did one to make change for a waitress, the other was less than a minute later later, and I know drat well I didn't do it - so someone either did it just as I walked off (before it timed out - 15 seconds), or figured out my password (easy enough - the POS requires a 2-5 digit numerical password). I made sure to change my password before I left, at least. Closing manager claims to have seen two $100 bills in there earlier (why the gently caress weren't they dropped?! that drawer is never supposed to have over $100 in it), and only one of them was still there, without a corresponding increase in other bills, at close. I only saw one of them, and made sure to bury it under the checks once I saw it. That was one of the new Monopoly style Benjamins, and that's the one that was still in there at close.

Best part? There's a camera directly over it, aimed at the drawer. The DVR crapped out 6 months ago, and they're too cheap to fix it. :fuckoff: There's probably gonna be some paperwork for all 3 of us (closing mgr, myself, and late driver) over it.

We have a POS station w/cash drawer that we never use at the drive thru (we can enter orders on it, but that's it without it having a till assigned) - I'm going to strongly suggest that we start using it and assign either a head driver (we have 3 - myself and 2 others - head driver basically meaning we often handle dispatch duties and training, and been there long enough to be trusted with store finances, also trusted with management passwords to issue refunds, credits, cash out dine-in tickets, etc) or a CSR to it, and assign one manager to the one we normally use to dispatch. It'll add a lot more accountability, and it'll also mean we have a till at the drive-thru.

Oh yeah, left my window cracked between deliveries with my regular glasses sitting in the car (in an Oakley case, the case I usually keep my sunglasses in). They disappeared, so now I'm down to my sunglasses and a 10 year old pair of prescription glasses. I'm hoping they just rolled under the seat. :ohdear:

[/en]

Fucknag posted:

Antifreeze you can actually just dump down the drain, as it gets broken down at the water treatment plant.

Really depends on the city, as viper pointed out.

SMALL amounts - like a couple of gallons - you're probably safe doing that with, assuming a decent sized city. But many cities - mine included - will pick it up, for free, if you just call them and let them know you'd like them to pick up household chemicals.

This is what my city will accept. For some reason, they don't accept nuclear or medical waste. :stare:

If you're on a septic, don't ever dump coolant down the drain. Don't do it in a small town either. Only do that in a big city, and only via the sewer, not storm drains (storm drains normally drain to a creek). And check with your water utility first. Dallas, for example, says it's perfectly fine to dump up to 3 (5?) gallons at a time into a toilet. Plano says OH HELL NO to even a drop. They're on similar wastewater treatment systems, but Plano is a suburb.

There's also this:

quote:

You will be instructed to place the items in a box marked "HCC" at your collection point by 7:00 a.m., at least 2 feet from your refuse and recycling containers. Each box placed out should weigh no more than 50 pounds. This is a service separate from your regular garbage, recycling, and landscape waste collection.

Never place household chemicals in your refuse or recycling container. They require special handling for recycling and/or disposal.

Collection Limits
To keep your tax dollars working most efficiently and for the safety of our employees, there is a 15-gallon limit to each collection. If your request exceeds that amount, we will schedule a second appointment for the following week.

Items suitable for reuse are placed on the shelves of the Household Chemical Reuse Center. Plano residents are invited to visit the center and obtain chemicals free of charge for home use.
(pickup date is different from normal trash/recycling)

I've made use of this service several times for old paint, antifreeze, and oil. Since my car takes exactly 5 qts, and I buy my oil in 5 qt jugs, I just dump the used oil into the jugs and put them in the box the night before collection.

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah, I think weightlifting or crossfit* is much better than just running, but for someone who just wants to be able to run more, C25K is great.

*At a sensible gym with a sensible trainer doing sensible programs. NOT the crazy-rear end oorah "so badass filthy few no pain no gain" bullshit that everyone rightfully criticizes.

There's a Crossfit next to where I work. I see people running around there that look like they're about to fall over, between the medicine ball on their shoulder and the 95F degree heat. gently caress that.

I'm quite happy with my city rec center membership. They do have trainers available for a (very cheap) fee, but I'm only after cardio right now. Also taken a couple of university level fitness classes, and my doctor and I are both in agreement that working my way into cardio is my best option right now. I'm not trying to build muscle mass yet - I want to get my blood pressure and resting heart rate down, and drop some weight. Once I'm down to a healthy weight, I'll start worrying about muscle.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 28, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's a chance - a very very slight chance - someone dropped it in the safe. But only a manager is authorized to do that - and a witness has to key in their password to do a drop (in addition to the manager on duty). If it was dropped without a password, then it'll be jammed in the top of the safe, and the safe will be giving an error in the morning about someone opening the drop drawer without authorization (you need an RFID tag + PIN to even look in its general direction, and it shuts most stuff down after 7pm.. except for drops... and you still need to enter the RFID+PIN to open the drop slot - it won't prevent the slot from opening).

The safe is locked after 7pm (it can be opened at 8am), so we couldn't get in there. And the only person who's been loving up on safe drops has been a new asst mgr (the store he came from used a newer version of our point of sale system). He did work today (yesterday now), but when they do a shift change, the over/short is displayed for each till. Once the new shift accepts it, the till resets to whatever was accepted - thus, resetting the over/short to $0 for that drawer.

I've had cash disappear in my name before at a grocery store, but it was the one day I was working with the flu + 102 fever. The only other time anything else happened was when I forgot to hand back debit cash back to a customer - and thankfully for me, every time, the customer called and said "hey uh, I don't think I got my cash back". If they called, it'd be noted, and a gift card (or cash) would be waiting for them, or I'd run it to them on my way home if I was the one to answer the phone. The one time I was short, it was $100. 102 fever + a bottle of Delsym != cash handling skills.

They called me zero hero for a reason. :sigh: They had a progressive points system - if you were off by $4.99 or less, you didn't get points. Off by less than $3, lost points. Lose more if off by $1 or less, and lose a ton of points for zero. You'd gain points if you were off by said amounts; $50 (either at once or cumulative, regardless of direction) was a write up and demotion to cart/bagger for a week.

Everything at the grocery store had 2 signatures though. Cashier + customer service mgr if it was a drop (or loan, basically "I need more coins or singles"). End of day deposit was closing CS mgr + my signature, and would be verified by the opening cash office manager. Cash drawers were also counted down to a set # (I think $400? $75ish worth of coins, the rest small bills), signed off by cashier and mgr, signed off again by opening cash office manager, and then re-counted by the next person to take the till (and if THAT didn't add up, the opening CS manager counted it - if it still didn't add up, cash office manager got some paperwork, as did the last mgr to count the drawer).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 28, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There needs to be a 24/7 food delivery service here.

Or at least something 24/7 within walking distance. :350::hf::cripes:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welp, the money I was freaking out about at work turned up.

New assistant manager pulled $100 (from *my* till, without telling me, and without entering anything in the computer to show he'd pulled money out) and jammed it into the safe. By jammed, I mean crammed it through the slot and closed the drop door, instead of using the vinyl envelopes that are supposed to prevent jamming. New manager got a write-up for it.

Opening manager had a fun time getting it back out, especially since the safe flips its poo poo if the door is open more than 1 minute. Store wound up being $1 over for the day instead of $99 short though.

jammyozzy posted:

This is 100% the right answer if you can put the Comcast box into bridge mode, let something worthwhile handle the routing and you'll probably never have trouble again. We did this with a cheap router behind one of Virgin's notoriously lovely boxes in a house of 4 nerdy students and never had a hiccup even with 4 of us gaming / torrenting at the same time.

Alternatively, get another wireless router and put THAT into access point mode, and turn off its DHCP server (or just buy a simple access point) - and just plug it into one of the numbered ports on the router. The wired routing works fine on that lovely Motorola box, so doing that should work fine. Just turn off the wireless on the motorola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Thanks once again to STR:

I can't believe you STILL have that on there. That was really the joke of the joke of the gift :v:

trouser chili posted:

I've had a rotisserie attachment sitting in my basement for a decade now. Never use it. I should though, for I have learned how to make gyro meat.

I've had a rotisserie attachment for ages as well (10+ years on a very, very nice natural gas DCS grill in its own island, with a 2 burner side range). The only thing I've ever used it for is the built-in halogen light (since there's no lighting directly over the grill) - it's been long enough since it's been used that the motor is seized, and the thermocouple for the rotisserie burner is long dead. The only way to keep the rotisserie burner going is with duct tape over the valve :supaburn: and gently caress ripping the whole thing apart to replace the thermocouple.

All 3 igniters are also dead, and apparently special snowflakes - I haven't found an off-the-shelf one that will work with either the grill, rotisserie burner, or the side range (all because of size issues). I lose a bit of arm hair lighting it every weekend :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread