Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Got a call last night for a job offer that a friend hooked up. 13.50 an hour for quality-controlling auto parts manufacturing. Guaranteed 40/week, but my buddy told me if I want it, they'll gladly give me 60+ a week with double pay overtime. Pretty stoked about it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You Am I posted:

In what way? Do you mean the leaf spring rear end on the Falcon?

No, I'm meaning the general fit and fitment, the incredibly poor mechanical design decisions, the overall lovely quality of parts both aesthetically and functionally, the fact that it drove by crap by comparison and was less practical despite also being bigger and heavier and having a heavier, thirstier yet less powerful engine. I'm sure that when they're both brand new the differences are slight but once you've packed on 150,000-odd km's there's no comparison. Who the gently caress rivets an engine ecu bracket to a strut tower?

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I have no doubt that they are poo poo. I just kinda like the looks of them and the novelty of actually seeing one in the wild.

Nah, he's wrong. I used to work on Teriii on a daily basis and they rock. I'd definitely take one over equivalent offerings from suzuki or whoever, they're solid and dependable and amazingly capable off-road. They are by no means a 'quality' car but that isn't the same as being a 'good' car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slavvy posted:

No, I'm meaning the general fit and fitment, the incredibly poor mechanical design decisions, the overall lovely quality of parts both aesthetically and functionally, the fact that it drove by crap by comparison and was less practical despite also being bigger and heavier and having a heavier, thirstier yet less powerful engine. I'm sure that when they're both brand new the differences are slight but once you've packed on 150,000-odd km's there's no comparison. Who the gently caress rivets an engine ecu bracket to a strut tower?

My VE is up to 131,000 kms and......

Not a single thing has gone wrong. There are no squeaks or rattles. It has been, somehow, more reliable than the Subarus. It has been easy to work on. It also handles a lot better than a V8 powered taxi should. I have a couple of things I dont like (like the brakes are laughable when you go hard) but I have been really impressed that it's been as good as it has been.

I'd like to set up the suspension better and put a set of Brembos on.... but I really cant complain. Good car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Got the death by ignition recall done on my car.

They said they'd mail proof it'd been done (never showed up). They entered the work done as "ELECTRICAL; Repair" (that's the entirety of what they typed) into their own system, which updated GM Owner Center with that. They also put the wrong mileage (off by 3k) in that entry. Can't get my service advisor to respond to email or phone calls asking about the receipt he said he'd mail (it was to be mailed as the cashier was "busy" when my car was ready, according to the SA - and since I'd been waiting over 2 hours when I was told it'd take 45 minutes, and was dodging their sales guys nonstop just trying to walk to get lunch while they had my car, I was more than ready to GTFO).

I was kind of hoping to have proof of that for whenever I sell the car. Probably more of a lovely dealer, but it still reflects on GM more than a bit.

"Getting your death trap fixed? Why not buy a new death trap! I swear we're not the old gm"

Normally I'd say that it's just a lovely dealer too but after all of these recalls I don't think I feel safe in a gm car from the last 15 years. I can't be the only one who's expecting more cars to be recalled.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So my step mum's Dacia Sandero was delivered. She didn't order the spare wheel and went for the inflation kit instead.... To be fair 」500 quid was quite a hit on a 5 grand car.

It's plastic everywhere with panel gaps Lancia would be proud of but it's a car i suppose with a 3 year warranty. Meh

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

So my step mum's Dacia Sandero was delivered. She didn't order the spare wheel and went for the inflation kit instead.... To be fair 」500 quid was quite a hit on a 5 grand car.

It's plastic everywhere with panel gaps Lancia would be proud of but it's a car i suppose with a 3 year warranty. Meh

You have got to post pics.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

thegasman2000 posted:

Good news?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Boss comes into my office yesterday

"My bmw x5 is over heating. Went into dumb mode then full on limp mode on the way home. Coolant in the system, no heat from the dash. It's fine for like 10 minutes starting from cold."

"waterpump"

He rolls in this morning "You were right"

ahahahah love it.

Dealer wants to rake him over the coals for 1600 bucks to replace some lovely bmw electric water pump. He's done with german cars and unloading the thing.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Slow is Fast posted:

Dealer wants to rake him over the coals for 1600 bucks to replace some lovely bmw electric water pump. He's done with german cars and unloading the thing.

It's about $500 in parts, so the dealer is raping him on labor. Have him find a local euro shop to do the work and then dump it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

It's about $500 in parts, so the dealer is raping him on labor. Have him find a local euro shop to do the work and then dump it.

they quoted him 1100 for the part

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Slow is Fast posted:

they quoted him 1100 for the part

That dealer is a straight up crook.

Seriously.

Even with dealer markup, it shouldn't break $700-800 for the pump on it's own.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not gonna lie, as soon as the 2003 Panda 4x4 becomes legal for import I will be trying to figure out how to get one across the Atlantic.

By 2018 its piddly little motor will probably actually make fuel-economy sense for North America.

I have the hots for the current gen Suzuki Jimny, with its widdle ladder frame and low range transfer case :3:

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Wait, they offer a manual? :stonk:

.... and I just checked ford.com, the manual is available on everything except the base model. That's a surprising twist. The SE has everything I want except for a sunroof as standard equipment (and you can order it with the sunroof).

One of my coworkers has a 2012 Fusion, it's a drat nice car (especially for what he paid for it, though his is a former rental). Knowing there's a manual available just plopped the Fusion on my radar whenever I upgrade from the Ion.

I know this is from a few pages back, but I'm leasing a 2014 Fusion SE with a MT. It's slow coming from an e36 M3, but it's still fun to drive due to the six speed, and it does literally everything else better. It's hella cheap to operate though. My payment is 260/mo, insurance is $211 every six months, and I've averaged 32 mpg over the six months I've had it.

What I'm hoping for is Ford making their lightweight fusion concept (lighter than a fiesta) a reality with the 2.0 and ST six speed in time for my next car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I have the hots for the current gen Suzuki Jimny, with its widdle ladder frame and low range transfer case :3:
Canadians could import one now.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

exempt posted:

insurance is $211 every six months

What the gently caress, how do you pay so little? It's a lease so I'm assuming they demand you carry full coverage. Are you a 48 year old female librarian with a clean driving record or something?

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

The Midniter posted:

What the gently caress, how do you pay so little? It's a lease so I'm assuming they demand you carry full coverage. Are you a 48 year old female librarian with a clean driving record or something?

I'm a 26 year old dude. I cannot explain it. I've just assumed that since rates work in conjunction with average repair costs that people haven't been wrecking Fusions. Also I'm not sure how poo poo works because it's a lease. Like if I total it, who gets paid? And how much? But hey, I don't ask questions.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Seeing something that you had a part of working on come together is amazing. The amount of planning and coordination that this shoot took was incredible. The finished product was totally worth it. But drat it was a headache, there was so much arguing with the police. If Redbull hadn't been so professional (and had deep pockets to pay for all the police) this never would have happened.

Being on this set was the best set experience I've ever had. It's days like that one, that almost make all the poo poo I put up with worth it.
And Rhys is cool to drink with.

Rally Cross DC Commercial

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The engine overdub doesn't match up at all... Ruins the whole thing.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Yeah.... I noticed that too. More so because I was there. Holy poo poo it sounded amazing echoing off all the buildings on Pennsylvania Ave and in Thomas Cir. I'll upload the video my co-worker took -- although his has slow-motion in it so some of the engine noise is lost. :sigh:

Funny story, for most of that video the rear diff was broken and Rhys was hooning that 600hp car around in basically front wheel drive....

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA_oK6GO81U-SUPER lovely Youtube Video - Uploaded only for sound. (Sorry for the slow-mo, it was my co-workers fault)

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 18, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

alternate.eago posted:

Funny story, for most of that video the rear diff was broken and Rhys was hooning that 600hp car around in basically front wheel drive....

Holy poo poo, I bet his wrists were sore.

So I made Scotch eggs for dinner last night and... I think I may have a new favorite snack food. Had a leftover one cold just now, sooo good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

From, like a hundred pages back (drat you guys are post-happy.)

Rhyno posted:

Diet change and portion control is why 73 days later I'm down 20 pounds. You need to get rid of the beer and pop altogether, you'll melt pounds off so fast you'll think you have cancer. Switch to just liquor if you need booze in your life.

Eh, I'm trying. Portion control is where I really need work. Most days I actually eat a salad (that I made) for lunch. Only a small handful of ham and a small handful of cheese to ruin the veggie-ness, plus Zesty Italian (not creamy.) A lot of weeks I don't drink any cider or beer. Some (not many) weeks I have one a day. Lately I've been going for the cider (is it better, worse, or about the same as beer, diet-wise?) Roger on the soda. I need to watch the sugar anyway, thanks to mild diabetes. Losing weight should help that.
The tough part will be eating somewhat healthy while my wife doesn't. Haven't had any luck convincing her to eat better - she claims she doesn't like veggies, for one. Couple this with the fact that I hate wasting food by letting it go bad, and...

mariooncrack posted:

You just have to start small and work your way up. First off, how much water are you drinking a day? If you're not drinking any or not that much, go out of your way to drink an extra glass than you do a day and build yourself up. This will probably cut some calories out. I don't think I need to tell you if you cut back more on your alcohol consumption that'll also cut more calories.

Since you mentioned eating multiple servings, just start cutting back little by little. Eventually, you'll want to replace some of your sides with healthier options. Instead of getting fries, get a side of vegetables or a small salad. Don't give up everything you like, just slowly over time add in more fruits and vegetables and less fried food. You don't have to be super healthy every meal and if you make a mistake and eat something you shouldn't have, don't beat yourself up for it and be more mindful about it your next meal.

The hardest part about working out is getting into a routine. For me, I tried to go after work because I know if I don't, I won't go at all. I used to listen to podcasts but now I watch TV on my tablet. If I'm going to watch it anyway, I might as well be burning calories. You have to find something you enjoy so you'll keep going to the gym. One day, you're just going to have to make a decision and just go. Sorry I don't have any better advice on this.

I've been working out and watching my diet more closely. I've lost about 10 lbs since the beginning of May and I'm aiming to lose another 10 or so by the end of the summer. I have a real taste for food and I can eat way more than I should. It's a struggle but I feel better than I ever have in my life.

I'm trying. I am trying to drink plenty of water.
The wife is, at least, renewing our membership to the city rec center. They've recently remodeled and have some decent workout equipment and a really nice pool. Pools, I should say - indoor and out. Cheap at $160/year per family. I'm just going to have to make myself go after work. Load up some shows on the iPad/Netflix, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fucknag posted:

Holy poo poo, I bet his wrists were sore.

So I made Scotch eggs for dinner last night and... I think I may have a new favorite snack food. Had a leftover one cold just now, sooo good.

Discovered Scotch Eggs at the local Ren faire. Man, those things are good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You're trying to lose weight, and you're eating Scottish food?

You're hosed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

You're trying to lose weight, and you're eating Scottish food?

You're hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOX5Q4wg26U

Sounds pretty drat tasty after a night of drinking, though.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Darchangel posted:

Discovered Scotch Eggs at the local Ren faire. Man, those things are good.

Scotch eggs are the best! Add black pudding to the sausage meat for a proper Scottish heart gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

exempt posted:

I'm a 26 year old dude. I cannot explain it. I've just assumed that since rates work in conjunction with average repair costs that people haven't been wrecking Fusions. Also I'm not sure how poo poo works because it's a lease. Like if I total it, who gets paid? And how much? But hey, I don't ask questions.

My insurance is $100/month. On an 8 year old Saturn. :stare: I have really lovely credit though..

And the leasing company gets paid. If there's any excess after it's paid, you might get that.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

exempt posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but I'm leasing a 2014 Fusion SE with a MT. It's slow coming from an e36 M3, but it's still fun to drive due to the six speed, and it does literally everything else better. It's hella cheap to operate though. My payment is 260/mo, insurance is $211 every six months, and I've averaged 32 mpg over the six months I've had it.

What I'm hoping for is Ford making their lightweight fusion concept (lighter than a fiesta) a reality with the 2.0 and ST six speed in time for my next car.

Coming from an M3, how's the handling?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

My insurance is $100/month. On an 8 year old Saturn. :stare: I have really lovely credit though..

And the leasing company gets paid. If there's any excess after it's paid, you might get that.

105/mo for shitpile.

150/yr for the sumo.

poo poo credit, corbin dallus' driving record, I carry towing and uninsured on both.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have full coverage, including rental coverage, medical payments, uninsured/underinsured, accident forgiveness, etc etc etc. I don't have towing though, that's what I have AAA for.

Driving record is clean, but 2 claims in the past 5 years (1 vandalism, 1 uninsured).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Put exhaust and brakes on the Mayors car today. :smug:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one thats friends with me on Facebook has seen the disaster unfolding in my life.

:getin:

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Coming from an M3, how's the handling?

Uninspiring. It's competent however. It's no m3, but it's a much smoother ride. I don't know, maybe the manual makes me a bit disillusioned, as that's really the redeemer. I've driven every trim and engine of the new Fusion, and if it didn't have a manual, I wouldn't own it. And where I'm at geographically there aren't many taxing roads when it comes to turns, so I'd assume there are better people to ask.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HOW is credit rating relavent to insurance risk?????? That blows my mind.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

HOW is credit rating relavent to insurance risk?????? That blows my mind.

More likely to commit insurance fraud if they're deadbeats in general?

That's the only thing I can think of, and it's certainly not true for STR (though given his near-death experiences and job I'd probably put him firmly in the high risk category anyway, sorry duder).

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
New acronym for Chevrolet:
Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy poo poo, son. :golfclap:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

YEssssssssssssss.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any one thats friends with me on Facebook has seen the disaster unfolding in my life.

:getin:

At least you'll be riding to the brink of insanity in style.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

I can't be the only one who's expecting more cars to be recalled.

I'm kind of waiting for the recall to drop for the brake line rot problem that I'm currently dealing with on my truck. That's going to be a huge, expensive recall if they ever get around to doing it, which probably has everything to do with why it hasn't happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's the only thing I can think of, and it's certainly not true for STR (though given his near-death experiences and job I'd probably put him firmly in the high risk category anyway, sorry duder).

You think my insurance knows what I do for a living. :allears:

It's drat near impossible for a food delivery driver to get "proper" insurance, between the cost, and finding a company that will actually insure you. I'd likely be paying 3-5x what I currently pay.

• Locked thread