Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Calliper posted:

so wingers would be more midfield players and not considered part of the back line?

Depends, now a days the Big Thing is for wingers to cut inside (move into attacking positions), this opens up space for fullbacks who can then do a cross or w/e. Full backs are required to run and run and run but wingers are more or less considered pseudo-attackers and will hardly do any defensive work (This is true for the big stars at least like Cristiano Ronaldo, Eden Hazard and the likes).

Instead, the defensive midfielder stays back with the two centre backs effectively creating a three man defence.

Also, welcome new posting World Cup friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

astr0man posted:

Is there a newbie friendly guide to basic football strategy somewhere? I'd like to read up on some of the basic pros/cons of different formations, like playing 3 midfielders vs 4 and so on.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/ sorta I think. It's more an analysis of matches between various teams tho.

But really what you're looking for is the book (or e-book version) of Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

Hello Ray Parlour, I am Maoist Pussy the transphobic marxist, so I guess I will be supporting Russia or Iran or something.

In that case it'll have to be Russia I think because of this

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

If you buy into the "China invented football" claim, you buy into a claim made by Sepp Blatter

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

*kicks the trolls away, loving trolls*

Hello zeldadude. The reason people are laughing are because it's a bit weird to root for other nations. In fact, it's called being a "plastic fan" I should know, because, hell, I love Real Madrid and fascism. But being plastic for another nation is even worse. You should only root for your own nation and then enjoy the cool rear end good football, imo. Laugh at the losers, enjoy the sport, maybe make a bet or two - it is however OK to root for a team after watching a bit of a match because "drat, these dudes play some good football" - but only for the duration of the match. Hate the French.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Blackula69 posted:

It's totally fair to root for a different nation, even if yours qualified.

No. Don't troll. Rooting for a different nation destroys the purpose of the World Cup.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tbp posted:

You can only support your country, the one you were born in unless you moved at like >1 yr old

You can be sort of happy if other countries do cool poo poo but you can not be that happy

THIS

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Tzen posted:

If your spouse is from another country is it okay to root for them as well as your home country?

No.. this makes no sense. "My wife picks my teams"...

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Hello Kodo, please read this;

tbp posted:

You can only support your country, the one you were born in unless you moved at like >1 yr old

You can be sort of happy if other countries do cool poo poo but you can not be that happy

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

the posted:

My favorite penalty is the one where the goalkeeper got red carded and so the center fullback had to put on the jersey and try to defend the penalty.

You mean either centre-back or fullback here OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Guitar_Hero posted:

Also, in most cases the manager has the responsibilities of both the head coach and the manager in American sports, so it's not really a case of one or the other.

This is actually not really true, it's only a common thing in England.

• Locked thread