Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Nuclear power it's the best. Literally every argument against it is made by the scientifically illiterate who either can't think or simply refuse to because they have a vested interest in something else.

Lol anyone who thinks solar/wind are viable alternatives for primary power generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

chernobyl
fukishima

your move nuclear power fags

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
*insert dozens of traditionally fueled power plant accidents here*

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

a hole-y ghost posted:

actually coal and nuclear are not dangerous enough. we should totally figure out how to create and contain a self sustaining singularity like in the game space station 13 and draw power from the hawking radiation

Isn't that fueled by monkeys? I want to be the guy shoveling monkeys into the engine. But I'll settle for nuclear power.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I grew up near a nuclear plant, and the one side-effect I have experienced is that I enjoy posting on SA

ban nuclear power execute all scientists

JustCait
May 28, 2014

mookface posted:

• has resulted in zero fatalities in north America since its inception

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reactor_accidents_in_the_United_States

wikipedia disagrees

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Crazyeyes posted:

Lol anyone who thinks solar/wind are viable alternatives for primary power generation.

During my senior year of EE undergrad, I took a solar energy class. The entire class was about how solar is terrible and could never meet our ever-increasing global energy demands. The class was taught by a guy doing research into photovoltaics and all semester he was discretely trying to plead with us EEs to graduate and please figure something else out or were doomed.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

chernobyl
fukishima

Still less deaths per power produced than pretty much any other alternative.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
we need to build gigantic batteries and harvest the solar bounty of the Sahara

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

chernobyl
fukishima

At Chernobyl, that was a crappy old Soviet reactor, of course it would fail. Plus even then, they had to literally do their best to MAKE it fail. They intentionally disabled cooling and safety features as part of a test and screwed everything up. It was more due to human error than a problem with nuclear power.

Even then, it only directly killed 31 people. Also the three remaining Chernobyl reactors still operated for years afterwards, though they're all off now.

Also Fukushima was nothing in comparison to Chernobyl

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
we must turn satellites into solar wind farms

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Crewmine posted:

we need to build gigantic batteries and harvest the solar bounty of the Sahara

or we could you know just build some nuclear plants instead and get the same power output for less money.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
destroy iceland and transform it into a gigantic geothermal power station

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Crewmine posted:

japan is actually unironically pursuing this
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/japanese-space-agency-hopes-to-harness-solar-power-in-25-years/

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

HJE-Cobra posted:

At Chernobyl, that was a crappy old Soviet reactor, of course it would fail. Plus even then, they had to literally do their best to MAKE it fail. They intentionally disabled cooling and safety features as part of a test and screwed everything up. It was more due to human error than a problem with nuclear power.

Even then, it only directly killed 31 people. Also the three remaining Chernobyl reactors still operated for years afterwards, though they're all off now.

heh, yeah right not buying it

we're talking about loving NUKES here and you're telling me they're safe? bullshit

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

HJE-Cobra posted:

Right. Also, Fukushima was the "beyond design basis accident" that we all fear in nuclear power generation. The world has been doing modifications to ensure that there is a backup to the backup power source now. The new AP1000 designs don't even need emergency AC power to shut down safely. I guess we could just start designing for poo poo like meteors hitting containment though.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Crewmine posted:

Dyson sphere bro

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
if nuclear waste is a myth let's bury it in op's neighborhood

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

butplug accident posted:

if nuclear waste is a myth let's bury it in op's neighborhood

Our spent fuel storage contains over 100 casks of spent fuel, sitting out in the open air, and the fence around the pads receives no dose.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Our spent fuel storage contains over 100 casks of spent fuel, sitting out in the open air, and the fence around the pads receives no dose.

that's because radioactive contamination concentrates in many corners and crevices and create hotspots that are serious threats to people’s health

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

butplug accident posted:

that's because radioactive contamination concentrates in many corners and crevices and create hotspots that are serious threats to people’s health

I don't really understand how that's a reply to my post, but there are no contaminations that you're talking about. It's monitored regularly not just remotely but by people going out there and physically walking around the casks and taking readings. Additionally, the heat put off by them is so low that it's cooled by natural air convection. If anything I'd be interested in how they'd keep that natural air cooling with them buried underground.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Remember that article in Science that explained how a coal powered plant releases more radioactive waste into the atmosphere than a Nuclear plant even produces? No, of course you don't, you're probably retarded.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 3, 2014

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
The popular attitude about nuclear power is generational. For many baby boomers, nuclear power and nuclear war are practically indistinguishable, and while I agree that this is not entirely rational, I didn't live through the Cuban Missile Crisis or any of that poo poo.

So yeah, just like everything that's hosed up or broken we can pretty much blame baby boomers and "the greatest generation" lol

Also nuclear power plants cost a shitton of money to build and maintain and take a very long time to show only modest profits. If you're in the energy business, it's not the best return of your shareholders' investments, so nobody wants to build new ones.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I don't really understand how that's a reply to my post, but there are no contaminations that you're talking about. It's monitored regularly not just remotely but by people going out there and physically walking around the casks and taking readings. Additionally, the heat put off by them is so low that it's cooled by natural air convection. If anything I'd be interested in how they'd keep that natural air cooling with them buried underground.

since most of the current proposals for dealing with highly radioactive nuclear waste involve burying it in deep underground sites, the storage containers, the store itself, or the surrounding rocks will offer little protection to stop radioactivity from escaping into groundwater or air in the longterm. and dont forget that decommissioning nuclear facilities will also create large amounts of radioactive wastes. all the world's nuclear sites will require monitoring and protection for centuries after they are closed down. the solution to these problems is to not create any waste in the first place, by reducing human population levels and limiting the production of gadgets, gizmos, and other useless commodities

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hesh Ballantine posted:

The popular attitude about nuclear power is generational. For many baby boomers, nuclear power and nuclear war are practically indistinguishable, and while I agree that this is not entirely rational, I didn't live through the Cuban Missile Crisis or any of that poo poo.

So yeah, just like everything that's hosed up or broken we can pretty much blame baby boomers and "the greatest generation" lol

Also nuclear power plants cost a shitton of money to build and maintain and take a very long time to show only modest profits. If you're in the energy business, it's not the best return of your shareholders' investments, so nobody wants to build new ones.

yeah but I think nuclear power should be run as a government monopoly so w/e

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

yeah but I think nuclear power should be run as a government monopoly so w/e

"A" government but not this one please, we've been hilariously inept at infrastructure building/maintenance since the 70s basically so in that respect, the anti-nuke crowd is right.

butplug accident posted:

since most of the current proposals for dealing with highly radioactive nuclear waste involve burying it in deep underground sites, the storage containers, the store itself, or the surrounding rocks will offer little protection to stop radioactivity from escaping into groundwater or air in the longterm. and dont forget that decommissioning nuclear facilities will also create large amounts of radioactive wastes. all the world's nuclear sites will require monitoring and protection for centuries after they are closed down. the solution to these problems is to not create any waste in the first place, by reducing human population levels and limiting the production of gadgets, gizmos, and other useless commodities

this is wrong you are wrong and possibly dumb

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Hesh Ballantine posted:

"A" government but not this one please, we've been hilariously inept at infrastructure building/maintenance since the 70s basically so in that respect, the anti-nuke crowd is right.

Possibly?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Hesh Ballantine posted:

you are like those 16th century prelates who looked through galileos telescope and denied what they saw because it could not be true

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I love the idea that people are afraid of nuclear meltdown and places being uninhabitable for 50 years yet surface coal mines are okay and not at all uninhabitable.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
limitless clean power is probably the worst thing that could happen to us as a species

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I propose that nuclear plants are run by the military - they have experience with nuclear power and we don't have to worry about them being underfunded. The people that run them may be undereducated, tho

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Hesh Ballantine posted:

well to be fair, the US looks at the infrastructure situation we are in and then says, "hmm maybe we shouldn't design things for 25 year life cycles cause we clearly cant keep up" and as a result any modification to infrastructure sees a vast improvement in design.

Also the government doesn't really keep up maintenance on the reactors themselves. That is up to the power companies and the companies that designed the reactors (most likely GE or Toshiba). Governments only really enforce international regulations regarding the transportation and use of the fuel itself.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Neptr posted:

I love the idea that people are afraid of nuclear meltdown and places being uninhabitable for 50 years yet surface coal mines are okay and not at all uninhabitable.

you're right, maybe it is better for a black slave to mine for diamonds than coltan. or maybe it's both bad and we should just limit so-called growth and thus solve all the problems at once?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

butplug accident posted:

you're right, maybe it is better for a black slave to mine for diamonds than coltan. or maybe it's both bad and we should just limit so-called growth and thus solve all the problems at once?

Or maybe you can stop being a total retard and open a science book for once in your life.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Power generation should be as dangerous as possible. In the utopian society of star trek, everything runs off a power source which can explode the whole ship if the slightest thing goes wrong.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
burn all science books and scientists, stop the spread of their profane magicks

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hell yeah lets produce more highly dangerous waste that we just shove into the ground and forget about to gently caress over future generations!

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
"Welp, nuclear power is too dangerous and damaging to humanity, better commit genocide instead."

Seriously shut up you loving moron.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
mellow, serious looking guy: we will have an energy crisis in 2040 because the world is useing too much electricity

reasonable person: why are we using so much power anyway. do we really need all this consumer crap

technophile child: i choose reason and rationality, so i support the funding of money vacuums that are really safe because people in robes said so. if you disagree you hate logic and science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

butplug accident posted:

mellow, serious looking guy: we will have an energy crisis in 2040 because the world is useing too much electricity

reasonable person: why are we using so much power anyway. do we really need all this consumer crap

technophile child: i choose reason and rationality, so i support the funding of money vacuums that are really safe because people in robes said so. if you disagree you hate logic and science

We get it, you love the idea of a continent of black people living in abject poverty for all eternity. How are white people so dumb?

• Locked thread