Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I am goddamn pumped for the World Cup. So friggin excited. I'm gonna throw parties and have all my mates around to watch the games and get really drunk and eat loads!

But what do I eat?

That's where this thread comes in.

I'm hoping that given we've got a lot of posters in TRP, and we're all fairly worldly posters, we can make a menu of food, beer and spirits from every country. If you're from a country that's going to the World Cup, or know about one, come in here and tell us all about your best food!
I'd love to be drinking a Corona from Mexico while I chomp down on some American Pizza or French Escargot, for sure.

I'll compile a list of all the cool posts about food from the countries here in a sick code formation:
pre:
Country                      Food         Beer         Other Drinks
Australia                    Meat Pie     Coopers      Goon
Iran
Japan
South Korea
Algeria
Cameroon
Ghana
Côte d'Ivoire
Nigeria
Costa Rica
Honduras
Mexico
USA
Argentina
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Uruguay
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Croatia
England
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Portugal
Russia
Spain
Switzerland
Given that I'm Australian, I'll start us off with a traditional Australian dish - the Meat Pie.

This is a recipe I stole from the Reader's Digest

Ingredients
2 tablespoon dripping or oil
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
500 g lean minced beef
2 tablespoon plain flour
1 1⁄4 cup beef stock
1⁄3 cup bought tomato sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 sheets ready-rolled frozen shortcrust pastry
4 sheets ready-rolled frozen puff pastry
1 Egg beaten

Preparation

1 Heat the dripping or oil in a medium frying pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft. Add the minced beef, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps for 6–8 minutes, or until the mince is brown.

2 Sprinkle the flour over the meat and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef stock, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the meat from sticking to the base of the pan, for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.

3 Preheat the oven to 200°C. Using a small plate about 17 cm in diameter as a guide, cut four circles from the shortcrust pastry and use them to line the base and sides of four 1 cup pie tins. Fill the pastry with the meat mixture – avoid spilling any on the edges.

4 Using the same plate as a guide, cut four circles from the puff pastry. Brush the shortcrust pastry edges of the pies with water to moisten and top with the puff pastry circle. Press the pastry edges together to secure. Trim the excess pastry with a sharp knife and crimp the edges. Cut a small cross in the centre of each pie and brush the top with beaten egg.

5 Bake the pies in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve the pies immediately with some extra tomato sauce, if desired.

That'll make you 4 of these bad boys

Or as an easier alternative, you can go to the supermarket and get some Four and Twenty frozen meat pies and heat them in the microwave.

Now, what to drink? Well, no-one here drinks Foster's, despite it being our main export beer. So grab some Cooper's

from your local beer store.

Don't drink beer? That's fine. Drinking like an Australian is easy, since our official national drink is boxed wine, or as it's popularly known, Goon. Grab a cask of the ol' Fruity Lexia and you're ready for a great night with a goon.

I honestly have no idea if that's a product available anywhere but Australia, but I assume it is.

So get amongst it, get sharing your best local recipes and drinks, and lets eat till we drop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress YES, meat pies are the best. I'm going to be eating a servo one on days that Australia play and bubble & squeak when England play

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Pizza, the food of my ancestors.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
South Korea

Traditional Korean half time snack.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Those pies look a bit weird to me i dont like the weird gelatinous gravy blob on top.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

JFairfax posted:

South Korea

Traditional Korean half time snack.

You serve Kim Chi with Dagolgi pleb

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can we get those Munich Sandwich recipes up in here?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't really associate watching football with eating tbh. Probably just have a few beers or something maybe?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Remember during the group stages there are three games back to back and some sustenance will be needed over and above all the beers to make it through in a sensible fashion.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I don't really associate watching football with eating tbh. Probably just have a few beers or something maybe?

I don't really know how you expect anyone to go two whole hours without eating a full meal.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Pissflaps posted:

But a lot of group stage matches are on when you'd be having dinner

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

But a lot of group stage matches are on when you'd be having dinner

I'll probably eat before or after.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
are you not going to post your parmo recipe pissflaps, it is quintessential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Pissflaps posted:

Those pies look a bit weird to me i dont like the weird gelatinous gravy blob on top.

That's not gravy on top

• Locked thread