Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
In this thread we celebrate some of the sports popular in Great Britain.

Cheese Rolling: Competitors chase a 9lb round of Double Gloucester down a hill. The cheese has around a one second head start and can reach speeds of up to 70mph. This event causes many broken bones and ambulances are always on standby at the finish line.

Bog Snorkelling: Competitors comple two consecutive lengths of a water filled trench cut through a peat bog, in the shortest time possible.

Competitive Gurning: A gurn is a distorted facial expression. A typical gurn might involve projecting the lower jaw as far forward and up as possible, and covering the upper lip with the lower lip, though there are other possibilities.

Royal Shrovetide Football: A game of football played between two sides of a town with few rules (one of which is that murder and manslaughter are prohibited) and no limit on the number of players. Games can last for days.

River Football: It's like football only played in a river. Pretty simple really.

Caber Tossing: A traditional Scottish athletic event in which competitors toss a large tapered pole called a caber. It is normally practised at the Scottish Highland Games. In Scotland the caber is usually made from a Larch tree and is typically 19 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds).

Lawn Mower Racing: Pretty much Nascar but with lawnmowers.

The International Birdman: The International Birdman is a series of two competitions held in Bognor Regis and Worthing, in West Sussex, England. The competition which involves human 'birdmen' attempting to fly off the end of a pier into the sea for prize money.

British and World Marbles Championship: This ancient event takes place each year on Good Friday and has been played annually in its current format, since 1932 at the Greyhound public house in Tinsley Green, West Sussex.

Cheese Rolling: Teams compete to roll some cheese (Stilton).

World Conker Championships: The World Conker Championships are held annually on the second Sunday in October in the village of Ashton near Oundle in Northamptonshire, England. Since 1965, conker players from around the world have gathered on the village green to compete for the world title. The male champion is crowned King Conker, and the women's champion is Queen Conker. This year's King is Ray Kellock, and Wendy Bradford is the Queen.

Pancake Racing: Held every year on Shrove Tuesday, contestants have to toss their pancake at both the start and the finish, as well as wear an apron and a scarf. Traditionally, when men want to participate, they must dress up as a housewife (usually an apron and a bandanna). The race is followed by a church service.

Oh yes and let's not forget cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXCvarfl-8o

the kirkwall ba aka a lot of fellas standing around in a big clump pushing eachother for about ten hours

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Mousepractice posted:

the kirkwall ba aka a lot of fellas standing around in a big clump pushing eachother for about ten hours

Also known as a regular Friday night out in Newcastle.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
cricket owns and i wish i was playing it right now

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Captain Matchbox posted:

cricket owns and i wish i was playing it right now

There's nothing quite like the crack of leather on willow followed by a tipple of gin.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Mousepractice posted:

Orkney is a weird place. Source: lived there.

"We play on until well after dark" - this is about 2.30pm at Christmas and New Year, so you'd best hope so.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 5, 2014

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
there's only been two deaths at the tt this year, things are going well.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Has anyone complained that Scotland and Britain are separate countries? Or are they part of the same country? Wait, what's England? I'm confused!

Either way, caber tossing isn't easy.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
too much tossing can damage your caber.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

kimihia posted:

Has anyone complained that Scotland and Britain are separate countries? Or are they part of the same country? Wait, what's England? I'm confused!

Either way, caber tossing isn't easy.

A referendum on whether or not Scotland should be an independent country will take place on 18th September this year but for now it's part of Great Britain. It's a hot potato.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow those people are idiots

maybe get off your poo poo island and visit some nice places you wont be so bored you have to make up poo poo like this

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cheese chasing?

hah, no thnx

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

a creepy colon posted:

cheese chasing?

hah, no thnx

Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling has been summarised as 'twenty young men chasing a cheese off a cliff and tumbling 200 yards to the bottom, where they are scraped up by paramedics and packed off to hospital'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQiaa7XsaVc

e: I think the point is that we have free healthcare so gently caress it, why not make the most of it?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Other popular British sports not listed above include:

Black Pudding Throwing
Snail Racing
Tin-bath Racing
Pooh Sticks
Clog Cobbing
Egg Jarping
Stinging Nettle Eating
Coal Carrying
Worm Charming
Mangold Hurling
Pea Shooting

Here are some stinging nettle eating athletes in action:

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
i really enjoy learning lots of new things about england op

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
What's the point of chasing the cheese down the hill? Do you get to keep it if u catch it or what?

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

druglife posted:

What's the point of chasing the cheese down the hill? Do you get to keep it if u catch it or what?

Basically, yes, you get some cheese. At the end of the proceedings sweets used to be scattered on the hill for a children's 'scramble' but sadly that's no longer a thing (health and safety gone mad).

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
...also it turns out the British are way better at the ugly contest than Americans. Better luck next year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmewqp95oHs

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Awwww, how quaint :3:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Let's not forget the Eton Wall Game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_wall_game

I have no idea what the rules are.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

chippy posted:

Let's not forget the Eton Wall Game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_wall_game

I have no idea what the rules are.

George Orwell scored a goal in the wall game which is quite rare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSdlWtk1grI

Orwell was also a keen badger racer, keeping several champion badgers.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
oi wotcha m8 let's pop to the pub and av a bit of aunt sally

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Sally

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

cheese rolling is cool because idiots get hurt
The race of 2005 was delayed while the ambulances returned from the hospital, all of them having been required to transport casualties from previous races.
lol

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Mr Rackers, 27, an estate agent from Colorado Springs, had travelled to the UK especially to compete in the race having seen previous events on the television.

“I came over especially for this and I did what I had to do to win,” he said afterwards.

i wish he had died

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the british are great at making up sports for their former colonies to beat them at.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

World Conker Championships: The World Conker Championships are held annually on the second Sunday in October in the village of Ashton near Oundle in Northamptonshire, England. Since 1965, conker players from around the world have gathered on the village green to compete for the world title. The male champion is crowned King Conker, and the women's champion is Queen Conker. This year's King is Ray Kellock, and Wendy Bradford is the Queen.

Do they force the king and queen to breed?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
They probably have to force them not to

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

Mr Rackers, 27, an estate agent from Colorado Springs, had travelled to the UK especially to compete in the race having seen previous events on the television.

“I came over especially for this and I did what I had to do to win,” he said afterwards.

i wish he had died

the cheese-chasing olympic uniform

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol. just imagine having fun at youre annuel contest of cheese rollin when in rolls some yank tryhard who quips "get outta my way boys i saw this on teevee"

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Look at them, that's their parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

Look at them, that's their parliament.

But where, good Sir, is their Funkadelic?

• Locked thread