Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
the best part about that thread was when ozma, over two years ago, was complaining about people talking about 'privilege' and the terrible posts in there and then the forums managed somehow to get worse for another year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

lol

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Triss and Geralt

If you read the books the relationship between Triss and Geralt suddenly are shown in a completely different light. It's pretty cool. The sleeping around is just something Witchers and sorcerers/sorceresses do.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Down With People posted:

actually it's bad because it's bad

bad combat and lovely menus and terrible story and it takes itself way too seriously just like the last one

Your best friend is a bard named Dandelion and there is a quest where you get blackout drunk and wake up with a tattoo of a cartoon pantless man on your neck which stays there for the rest of the game if you don't have a witch remove it.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tender Bender posted:

Your best friend is a bard named Dandelion and there is a quest where you get blackout drunk and wake up with a tattoo of a cartoon pantless man on your neck which stays there for the rest of the game if you don't have a witch remove it.

I'm gonna replay the Witcher 2 and hope that the tattoo stays in the third game if they decide to allow you to import a save like in two. (Probably won't happen because that's extra work that you can't use in the XBONE and PS4 versions though )

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

cmykjester posted:

(Probably won't happen because that's extra work that you can't use in the XBONE and PS4 versions though )

another example of consoles ruining gaming

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
im only gonna pre-order witcher 3 if you get to see geralt's dick

sick and tired of tits

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the thing that annoys me about witcher is that i am not a marathon gamer, not these days. i have responsibilities. witcher games don't really lend themselves to brief sessions that might be spread far apart. like all these quests with all these, like, elf names? they don't mean poo poo to me. i don't know. a dwarf alchemist wants me to find the seven mage stones of gyafdahg? uhhhhhhhhhhh

also the magic spells are not intuitively named, which is a similar problem. What's ard? is it a lightning spell? a trap spell? a fire spell? it's loving ard. only way i'm going to find out is by casting i guess well poo poo. just call it lightning bolt or something man. i could spend 10 minutes reaclimating myself to all this poo poo or i could play another game that doesn't think it's written by tolkein and just gets me into good gameage.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the fire spell igni could either refer to the word ignite or the Hindu fire god Agni.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 11, 2014

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the thing that annoys me about witcher is that i am not a marathon gamer, not these days. i have responsibilities. witcher games don't really lend themselves to brief sessions that might be spread far apart. like all these quests with all these, like, elf names? they don't mean poo poo to me. i don't know. a dwarf alchemist wants me to find the seven mage stones of gyafdahg? uhhhhhhhhhhh

also the magic spells are not intuitively named, which is a similar problem. What's ard? is it a lightning spell? a trap spell? a fire spell? it's loving ard. only way i'm going to find out is by casting i guess well poo poo. just call it lightning bolt or something man. i could spend 10 minutes reaclimating myself to all this poo poo or i could play another game that doesn't think it's written by tolkein and just gets me into good gameage.

hey man marathon gaming is what it takes to get sick cheevs and bang hot videogame babes if you cant stand the heat then get out of kitchen

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Panzeh posted:

im only gonna pre-order witcher 3 if you get to see geralt's dick

sick and tired of tits

Really curious if carpet matches drapes

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

the fire spell igni could either refer to the word ignite or the Hindu fire god Agni.

its actually an inversion of nig, who enjoy blazin' it

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

In addition to having names each spell has a corresponding symbol and color so if you're not able to keep track of at least one of these three identifying features you might be a goldfish.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
it's literally impossible to talk about the characters or story of the Witcher series without at least one person bringing up the sex cards and declaring the game a misogynist male power fantasy

meanwhile Bioware is lauded for its inept treatment of social issues and alleged empowered female characters while the camera buries itself in Miranda's rear end

Action Tortoise posted:

fun fact: those words both have the same proto-indo-european root. so it's both.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Sharmat posted:

it's literally impossible to talk about the characters or story of the Witcher series without at least one person bringing up the sex cards and declaring the game a misogynist male power fantasy

meanwhile Bioware is lauded for its inept treatment of social issues and alleged empowered female characters while the camera buries itself in Miranda's rear end

fun fact: those words both have the same proto-indo-european root. so it's both.

good to know both things thanks :)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Grakdesh posted:

In addition to having names each spell has a corresponding symbol and color so if you're not able to keep track of at least one of these three identifying features you might be a goldfish.

thankfully the game takes this into account and lets me switch to ezmode where i sword swing my way to hot video game ladies.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

they aren't sluts! they are secure in their sexuality

in fact the Dead or Alive series should throw in an openly gay character so all the retard sjws can fap in peace to it

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Sharmat posted:

there's not that much to the witcher, tho, it's pretty generic dark fantasy

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

from what I can tell dark fantasy is like tolkien except they spice it up with a little bit of rape here and there to make it 'edgy' and 'mature'

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Plough em all plough em all.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 11, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ekster posted:

from what I can tell dark fantasy is like tolkien except they spice it up with a little bit of rape here and there to make it 'edgy' and 'mature'

pretty much

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Ekster posted:

yeah or it's Warhammer 40k.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

No, you stupid human being.

Dec 26, 2012

conceitedguy posted:

No, you stupid human being.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

No Such Thing posted:

its actually an inversion of nig, who enjoy blazin' it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Yes, OP.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

there's not that much to the witcher, tho, it's pretty generic dark fantasy

the witcher 2's plot is fairly complicated actually

the first game was real straight forward though yeah

Dec 26, 2012

tw2 seemed certainly significantly less straightforward than 1, i dont know that id go as far as "fairly complicated" though. im also not sure that id put that as a positive if i missed something huge having played through each route

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

seriously though if you put the game away for a week or so and try to get back into it the plot is complete gibberish. i will select dialogue options and geralt says things and names that I've never heard of. combat is fun though, just dont play alchemist. abusing monster pathing stops being fun after 40 hours

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
in the late game alchemy is almost as OP as it was in Morrowind, including poo poo like one-shotting the hardest boss in the game

it's murder during that one section in act 2 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

iirc as soon as youve doubled up on that one talent that amplifies positives and reduces negatives alchemy is some serious poo poo

• Locked thread