Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Ramsus posted:

The last time I went to Costco I did the math on the things I buy compared to other places in town. I found out there was no savings except on beer. Then I considered the cost of membership, mile walk through the store, crowded parking lot and massive check out lines and found it wasn't worth it.

I get my money back and then some just by using my Costco's gas station most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like shopping at Costco because I think their quality control is good. I've never bought a product there that shat out on me instantly.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ramsus posted:

The last time I went to Costco I did the math on the things I buy compared to other places in town. I found out there was no savings except on beer. Then I considered the cost of membership, mile walk through the store, crowded parking lot and massive check out lines and found it wasn't worth it.

Costco does good quality food at cheaper prices. if you're just pricing that poo poo out against poo poo store brands and whatnot you're missing the point entirely. Costco is for people who appreciate quality stuff.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Pick posted:

I like shopping at Costco because I think their quality control is good. I've never bought a product there that shat out on me instantly.

Try the breakfast burrito

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

Ramsus posted:

holy poo poo you have to walk? UGH gently caress that noise

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ramsus posted:

I kinda agree and disagree. I think if you're single/couple but don't overeat, then it could be breakeven but maybe not worth the crowds (depending on your location). Gas is cheaper (but not that much cheaper for me) yet if you don't drive a whole lot a membership wouldn't pay itself off. But if you couple that with utility products then you'd be making pretty good savings compared to your local Walmart/Target/grocery store:

- Papertowels, Garbage bags, toilet paper, dish(washer) soap, laundry detergent, great shampoo/conditioner (unless you like Suave).

Other products that fit into the single/couple catagory that are generally better than other options:

- Alcohol (except wines, unless you really want very high quality for still expensive but cheaper costs).
- Cheese. Get blocks of cheddar/mozzarella/mexican cheese blend and then freeze half of it. Cheese freezes really well and can last awhile. It's really good savings compared to cheese at a grocery store like Safeway.
- Uncooked Refrigerated Tortillas. These loving own and taste 95% as good as making them yourself. They're also stupidly healthy for being tortillas. Freeze the second pack and you'll have an unlimited supply.
- Olive Ranch Olive Oil is the best all-purpose oil olive and really cheap here.
- 25lb bag of Basmati Rice / Organic flour
- Spices like Salt, Pepper, and Garlic. (but these will last you like 2 years each)

I don't really buy meat as it's too expensive and I'd be the only one eating it so I just deal with my local butcher (which is more expensive), but if you liked eating it a lot and had other people to eat it, it's a good value too. Deli meats would be a good buy but I found even Salami doesn't freeze well and loses it's flavor before I can finish it. Though I've been buying the salami roll and its really tasty.

Whatever you do, don't buy those muffins. I used to love the poppyseed muffins but god drat they're like 1/3rd your caloric intake for being a loving muffin. The bagels aren't really a good deal either since the second pack doesn't freeze that well and usually they'll go bad before you finish them. Bread is sort of the same but tends to freeze a bit better, although I like the bread I can get locally and the best Costco has is Milton's.

I also don't think their electronics/appliances/general housewares section is that good either. Usually Amazon or Newegg is still cheaper but there are some good values on quality furnishings if you own a house. Clothes can be ok but I find their sizes are way too big for me (Small-Medium) but stuff like socks and underwear are solid. Costco gets better with the more people you're living with/feeding but is still reasonable if it's just two of you.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 8, 2014

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hell yeah the tortillas are killer. Mexican moms come into the Costco here and buy that poo poo by the boatload so you know it's quality.

Anyways, I shop at Costco for myself and have for years. Stuff I get:

-paper towels
-toilet paper
-beer (bombers! Stone Enjoy By for $5.50! But also 24 packs too)
-rotisserie chicken
-cheese
-meat if I'm ever doing a bbq, also veggies for bbq, cannot be beat. Just got a 4 pack of New Yorks last weekend, and some incredible corn on the cob.
-the organic brown eggs they sell in the smaller pack
-Odwalla Orange juice, 5 bucks for a goddamn gallon
-pom wonderful juice goes on sale on the reg and it's good stuff
-naan bread
-spices
-The cereal is a great deal if its on sale and you know you'll eat it

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

The best thing at costco is the little food booth. The turkey sandwiches are awesome and so are the chicken bakes which is just a big piece of bread stuffed with crap like a hot pocket. Also the costco by me used to sell 24 packs of guiness cans and they were $27 which was great.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

mortons tritip
holy poo poo is that marinade good

only thing i miss from sams is the maple bacon :smith:

goddamn someone else knows the glory of the Morton's Tri Tip

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
La Croix sparking water - 2x 15 packs for almost the same price as a 12 pack at Kroger's.

But only in lime.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Qvindtar posted:

La Croix sparking water - 2x 15 packs for almost the same price as a 12 pack at Kroger's.

But only in lime.

ugh
flavored flavored sparkling is the worst--and lime being the loving devil. at least berry-flavored is aight. fortunately they sell plain sparkling water (crystal geyser) which is good

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

mookface posted:

Ok, but buying in bulk inherently fosters over eating and waste. You should meal plan a few days and advance and purchase accordingly. Granted I have a deli, produce merchant, and butcher which are local and cheaper than a supermarket. Not everyone has that. I understand that.

If you cannot control yourself from overeating then it isn't the quantity you purchase that's the problem.

I shop almost exclusively at Costco. I buy small quantities of fresh produce from my local grocery store but otherwise almost everything else I buy is from Costco.

Get the executive membership if you shop there often. I spent more than eleven thousand dollars there last year and got a refund check for 2% of all of that beck (more than $200, straight cash if you cash the check at Costco, or like a gift cars if you prefer).

I wear a lot of polo shirts for work and I can get excellent fitting, looking, and feeling shirts for like $15 whereas the same exact shirt would be $30-45 at Macy's.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Costco is loving great. They have excellent beef and really good deals on a lot of home goods. I seriously love the place. I bought a blendtec blender from there for little money also.

Their fruits are generally excellent and their avocados are the best I have seen in my area (Massachusetts).

EDIT: Oh the frozen tiramisu that they carry is great too. No extraneous ingredients and it is made with mascarpone as is proper.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 8, 2014

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

demonachizer posted:

Costco is loving great. They have excellent beef and really good deals on a lot of home goods. I seriously love the place. I bought a blendtec blender from there for little money also.

Their fruits are generally excellent and their avocados are the best I have seen in my area (Massachusetts).

EDIT: Oh the frozen tiramisu that they carry is great too. No extraneous ingredients and it is made with mascarpone as is proper.

whoa, you got a blendtec??

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

demonachizer posted:

tiramisu is great but bad tiramisu is common... one of life's sad facts

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

johnny sack posted:

If you cannot control yourself from overeating then it isn't the quantity you purchase that's the problem.

i agree, goons are fat. but it does kind of suck when half of what you buy goes to waste--i don't think anyone likes wasted food so i can see why some people might shovel more portions into their gaping maw to feel better about not wasting money (even if the value might be equiv to buying from safeway). that's why i mostly stick with stuff that i can freeze half of and unfreezes well.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
5 dollar rotisserie chicken, 5 dollar rotisserie chicken, 5 dollar rotisserie chicken. Oh that and this bad rear end kale salad mix with dried cranberries in it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

shut up netface posted:

5 dollar rotisserie chicken, 5 dollar rotisserie chicken, 5 dollar rotisserie chicken.

gently caress forgot about this. OWns.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

shut up netface posted:

5 dollar rotisserie chicken, 5 dollar rotisserie chicken, 5 dollar rotisserie chicken. Oh that and this bad rear end kale salad mix with dried cranberries in it.

idiot, the real steal is the 3 lbs of chicken thighs for $5. that's a week's worth of meat, easy, for five dollars.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Xaris posted:

i agree, goons are fat. but it does kind of suck when half of what you buy goes to waste--i don't think anyone likes wasted food so i can see why some people might shovel more portions into their gaping maw to feel better about not wasting money (even if the value might be equiv to buying from safeway). that's why i mostly stick with stuff that i can freeze half of and unfreezes well.

Agreed. I don't buy much fruit there now, only organic fruit. No normal human being can eat two pounds of strawberries within a couple days. But the organic fruit is a lot smaller in quantity/volume/mass and a very good price compared to my local grocer. If the solution to buying too much food is to say,
"gently caress it. My only choices are to eat all this food even though I'm already fat and getting fatter or throw it away"
And you can't think to rather invite family over for a meal, to bring it to work and put it in the break room for everyone, or to feed it to your dog, then really you're just looking for any old excuse to eat.

Another gem is the giant tub of organic animal crackers for $9. Those things are legit good and my kids love them as well.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Double packs of franks red hot

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

idiot, the real steal is the 3 lbs of chicken thighs for $5. that's a week's worth of meat, easy, for five dollars.

They have their entire fully cooked rack of ribs for like 4 bucks or something where the fully cooked chicken is.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pick posted:

the rotisserie chicken is minimum 3lbs too, and also comes with the fun benefit of not having to cook it :c00l:

eat chicken when hot, make chicken salad with it for leftovers. best chicken.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Plus, you get a chicken carcass for making stock. Crispy seasoned skin, too

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can I buy a negativecostco post for 500 please

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only thing that bugs me about this store are the incredibly huge carts that are so big that a single person can cause a traffic jam of a dozen pissed off people.

Also, the food sampling are always in the worst spots causing even more traffic jams.

Their 1.50 hotdog/drink is pretty awesome. I gotta go there for lunch more often.

Most grocery stores have $5 hot rotisserie chickens tho.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

deadwing posted:

the rotisserie chicken is minimum 3lbs too, and also comes with the fun benefit of not having to cook it :c00l:

eat chicken when hot, make chicken salad with it for leftovers. best chicken.

the thighs are also cooked, and the thighs are good for stock as anything

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Pick posted:

the thighs are also cooked, and the thighs are good for stock as anything

I hope that one day my costco has these mythical cooked thighs, it sounds like a good time

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

That giant polish sausage dog and a soda for $1.20

I am pretty sure it props up most university students near any campus

BisQuicken Deluxe
Oct 22, 2013

Can someone direct me to the Wegmans thread?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bulk battery packs. Don't have to buy batteries for years.

They also sell awesome picked beets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

they should put a pic of costco on the america flag

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
Kirkland balsamic vinegar is one of the best cheap balsamics out there. And I'm seconding the tiramisu.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
polish hot dog.... piled high

god bless

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
once i got a giant-rear end root beer keg that i kept in my fridge for a month even after it got all flat and poo poo because hell its still root beer

their clothes are surprisingly good too. hate to sound poor but prob my best pair of jeans I got at costco for $20. their roasted chickens are good too. pick one up and it's premium quesadilla meat you got there.

costco is just great

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

also the first time i went to costco there was this hype-rear end dude like billy mays on speed throwing poo poo in a turbo blender and handing out free samples of the smoothies he was making

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

MONKET posted:

once i got a giant-rear end root beer keg that i kept in my fridge for a month even after it got all flat and poo poo because hell its still root beer

I feel ya bro but this is wrong. When it goes flat it's no longer root beer, it's sarsaparilla.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The best costcos are the ones that sell Kirkland brand alcohol.

top shelf quality, bottom shelf prices.

You buy everything in Gallons.

Or you get a normal sized bottle of something and they throw in a free glassware set, buy enough and you have enough glasses to play chess.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Nathilus posted:

I feel ya bro but this is wrong. When it goes flat it's no longer root beer, it's sarsaparilla.

that's even better when you put it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

amityville anus posted:

welcome to costco. i love you.

:colbert:

• Locked thread