Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

So maybe STARZ is alright now?

Better than SHOWTIME at any rate?

Ray Donovan is a Showtime show, so I'm not quite sure what your point is??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Game of Thrones isn't over and Walt dies in the end. Deadwood is probably the best American example of a bad guy winning because Hearst rolls over everyone, gets everything he wants and departs town with a smirk on his face.

Walt's fate has very little to do with the plot of the show, it was going to happen even if nothing else in the show ever happened. IMO the main flaw with BB's last season is that Walt pretty much got everything he wanted in the end.

Deadwood is irrelevant as that wasn't supposed to be the last season.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

What other good shows has STARZ made? Was Crash good?

Party Down

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

CeeJee posted:

One thing they really did not take from the Scandinavian series was how Saga Noren was quite a happy person, just not good with people.

More importantly they didn't take the reasons why she is so good at her job. Here she is just magically making deductions for little reason. Saga is shown pretty much working 24 hours a day, every day.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Even if it's hard to pick out favorites among the cast, the show itself should have gotten a nod- it's one of the best and most assured first seasons I've ever seen for a comedy.

Of course there are other problems (not even a technical nod for Hannibal.)

How about no stunt work nominations for Strike Back, Banshee or Arrow? That might be the most ridiculous of all.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Lugaloco posted:

If the last half-season of Mad Men is as strong as this year's then I could definitely see Hamm picking up a bunch of stuff next go around if not this time. Mad Men was loving great this year.

Most people found it pretty mediocre until the last couple of episodes.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
The Almighty Johnsons is debuting tonight on Syfy. I've watched all three seasons and I'd definitely recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd80D347iSI

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

raditts posted:

Hahah, what the gently caress? Is that show a comedy or what, because I thought it was supposed to be a crime show with a bizarre name.

I'd say it's kind of like Castle, but without the romance.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Justified is on Amazon in the US and it updates pretty quickly.

I think FX has made exclusive deals with Amazon for several of their shows recently.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

I wonder if Lindelof/Cuse will ever admit to that of if it was just coincidence. As it happens though, no he wasn't. He, for some reason, didn't want to live in Hawaii and wanted to pursue other roles. The only other thing I saw him in was GI Joe.

He had a fairly big role in Hunted.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

misguided rage posted:

British show with the same name.

There is also a new Australian show called Utopia.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

GreenNight posted:

The British one is the only good one.

The Australian one (which has nothing to do with any of the others) is actually very funny. It's from the same people who made the brilliant Frontline.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

BSam posted:

It's funny, but it's not as good as Frontline, or Hollowmen which was a more recent show from the same team.

Basically, check those two out before bothering with the Australian Utopia and only watch that if you want more of a similar comedy that isn't quite as good.

Frontline is in a class of its own. I find Utopia just as good as Hollowmen, personally.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Well "With Live+7 DVR viewing factored in, Dome was the summer’s No. 1 scripted series, averaging 11 million viewers and a 2.7 rating." seems to explain at least one of them.

UTD and Extant are pretty much unique cases where the ratings don't matter much at all. CBS made huge streaming deals with Amazon, and between those and foreign sales the shows are profitable no matter what the ratings are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I assume that has the benefit of people having seen the who season, but it won't be cited nearly as much as this, which I assume only considers 1 (or a few) pre-release episodes:

This would be a more relevant link

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/tv-critics-pick-10-best-tv-shows-of-2014

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread