Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Just tell me how many viewers a "1.8 in the demo" represents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Round 2 million aged 18-49

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

By round do you mean 1,800,000 viewers? I didn't realize it was a one-to-one deal like that. I know what the demo is.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
From Wikipedia:

quote:

The most commonly cited Nielsen results are reported in two measurements: ratings points and share, usually reported as: "ratings points/share". As of 2013, there were an estimated 115.6 million television households in the United States, up 1.2% from the previous year due to the inclusion of televisions that receive content over the Internet. A single national ratings point represents one percent of the total number, or 1,156,000 households for the 2013–14 season.[2] Nielsen re-estimates the number of TV-equipped households each August for the upcoming television season.

Share is the percentage of television sets in use tuned to the program. For example, Nielsen may report a show as receiving a 9.2/15 during its broadcast, meaning that on average 9.2 percent of all television-equipped households watching TV were tuned in to that program at any given moment, while 15 percent were tuned into that program during this time slot. The difference between rating and share is that a rating reflects the percentage of the total population of televisions tuned to a particular program while share reflects the percentage of televisions actually in use.[3]

And then like Occ said "in the demo" just means 18-49 year olds, which is the age group advertisers are targeting.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Toxxupation posted:

I should really make a new ratings thread huh SHUPS

The way this season is going I am not even joking about having no idea. Premiere numbers matching last seasons' finales without any bump at all has become the norm, Utopia is still on the air, anything and everything is down a half to a whole point... honestly until the first round of cancellations for each network comes through I won't be able to calibrate my expectations. It's that strange.

e: VVV

zoux posted:

Why don't they just say viewers instead of making some arbitrary metric?

It isn't arbitrary. 18-49 spends all the money and it's the only group networks care about, and traditionally they've only cared about them watching live to see ads. That may be changing. I don't know. But 18-49 remains the only metric they give a poo poo about at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't they just say viewers instead of making some arbitrary metric?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't even watch sports live anymore, I always record it and start it an hour in to skip the ads.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah man that was total bullshit. Her hell was actually horrible and effective and if they'd really established why that would gently caress her up too badly to escape (we knew she was the nature girl but that shouldn't have meant that she would fail there) then it would've been okay. But they didn't so it wasn't.

It probably would have made more sense for her personal hell being someone killing Stevie Nicks over and over and over for all eternity than what they actually did.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I should really make a new ratings thread huh SHUPS
I actually really like this single catch-all thread for non show-specific talk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well "With Live+7 DVR viewing factored in, Dome was the summer’s No. 1 scripted series, averaging 11 million viewers and a 2.7 rating." seems to explain at least one of them.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I know this has been said before, but Mulaney does feel like Seinfeld Babies or Seinfeld in the 2010s, down to the awful acting of the lead and the Hipster Newman. I didn't hate the pilot, though I could really do without the live studio audience; I can barely stand laugh tracks in sitcoms and this one didn't help. I hope it manages to get better down the road, but I don't think it's gonna last long enough for that, which is a shame since Mulaney is a pretty good stand up comedian and deserves better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Well "With Live+7 DVR viewing factored in, Dome was the summer’s No. 1 scripted series, averaging 11 million viewers and a 2.7 rating." seems to explain at least one of them.

Under the Dome is supposed to be Super Bad right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

That doesn't really matter when it comes to ratings. I watched the first season and didn't hate it. I just don't have time for shows I find mediocre anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

It's actually a percentage. 1.8% of the total potential 18-49 audience. That means even people not watching TV at that time.

If you're talking about The Flash, it also had a 6 18-49 share which means 6% of the actual 18-49 audience that was watching TV at that time.

However they don't seem to publish those audience sizes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

It's pretty dire, I'm shocked it got a second let alone a third season, but there's no accounting for taste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So in season 3 are they going to find a third dome or is it exponential, so season 3 will have 4 domes and season 4 will have 16 domes? :supaburn:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

precision posted:

So in season 3 are they going to find a third dome or is it exponential, so season 3 will have 4 domes and season 4 will have 16 domes? :supaburn:
The entire country is under a dome

The entire world is under a dome

The entire galaxy is under a dome

It was all just a dog's dream

The dog is under the dome

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

The entire country is under a dome

The entire world is under a dome

The entire galaxy is under a dome

It was all just a dog's dream

The dog is under the dome

What if, like, man is the dome?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So they didn't really stick to the book much then? I only got through a few episodes, but like most Stephen King things it's embarrassing and awful when I'm not reading it. I couldn't take ATF-in-law as Big Jim after listening to the audio book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ariza posted:

So they didn't really stick to the book much then? I only got through a few episodes, but like most Stephen King things it's embarrassing and awful when I'm not reading it. I couldn't take ATF-in-law as Big Jim after listening to the audio book.

I don't watch the show but from what I've heard it has pretty much nothing to do with the book at all any more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ariza posted:

Reading the episode descriptions on wikipedia, it appears that the show is literally LOST only instead of an island it's a dome. Also, it's probably much worse.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Comparing Lost to Under the Dome is like comparing Humphrey Bogart to Pauly Shore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Comparing Lost to Under the Dome is like comparing Humphrey Bogart to Pauly Shore.

In all fairness to the weasel, BioDome was a fun movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What in the gently caress did I just watch here

I remember coming across this a few years ago with no context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMfxtbzrHg

Okaaaaay.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2D_Votd2Y

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What the gently caress.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I once said that I was never going to become a typical old person about new music and poo poo, but if that's the kind of stuff that the kids are going to be into in the coming years, then I guess I'm going to become an old person.

precision posted:

Is there two domes in that show now? Like two separate towns, or a dome within a dome?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 9, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I read a review of an episode where they talked about how there was a magic cave with a bottomless pit that you could jump down and end up outside the dome. Although later a character did it and just got smashed on some rocks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lycus posted:

I once said that I was never going to become a typical old person about new music and poo poo, but if that's the kind of stuff that the kids are going to be into in the coming years, then I guess I'm going to become an old person.

Is there two domes in that show now? Like two separate towns, or a dome within a dome?

Bro Hatsune Miku isn't popular irl outside of Japan and even there it's like, awful dorks that dig it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddamit Japan

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zoux posted:

Bro Hatsune Miku isn't popular irl outside of Japan and even there it's like, awful dorks that dig it.

That's good. Now I'm sure that Dave's producers were totally loving with him, and that's funny.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

actually hatsune miku opened for lady gaga so uh

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

zoux posted:

Did s2 end on a cliffhanger?

Yes, and not a very satisfying one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

What the gently caress.

In a word, Japan.

This dumb poo poo was on Letterman last night, I'm surprised this is the first you've heard of it.

tldr:

IRQ fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 9, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

What the gently caress.

muscles like this? posted:

I read a review of an episode where they talked about how there was a magic cave with a bottomless pit that you could jump down and end up outside the dome. Although later a character did it and just got smashed on some rocks.
He died on the rocks because they threw the magical majin egg through the cave pit portal first, and that powers the pit teleporter or something.

And you return to the dome by walking through a red door.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Holy loving poo poo. It's even better when you realize that the CEO of Domino's is a crazy man who wants to buy an entire town in Florida and turn it into a Christian megaland.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Apparently Dominos does a lot of anime product placement, which is hilarious to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Apparently Dominos does a lot of anime product placement, which is hilarious to me.

The anime Code Geass had a ton of Pizza Hut product placement. Although when they brought it over to America they didn't have a promotional deal with America Pizza Hut so they had to cut all that stuff out.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Jan Hooks died.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/watch-jan-hooks-and-phil-hartman-in-the-weird-gorgeous-1644570315/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I don't know what the gently caress Hanutse Mikunis is, but I think we need more augmented reality apps like that. Can you imagine playing street fighter on a loving Domino's Pizza box?

• Locked thread