Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Yakuza 6 has my personal favorite move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGcaaSlPbE

Maybe it's the victim being clearly more confused and upset than injured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In Kiwami 2 I once gave a guy the giant swing move and when I let go he followed the trajectory right down a nearby set of stairs. It was poetic. They couldn't even have made a canned heat move animation that beautiful.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not sure if this is something for this thread or the "Dragging things down thread" but here goes:

I started playing Yakuza Kiwami finally. Majima was introduced. That's it.

I think that cutscene gave me actual whiplash...

Do I get to hurt him? Please say yes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You cannot kill Majima in a way that matters

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Babe Magnet posted:

can, and should

The firecracker one I'll remember forever.

Also the Beast mode exclusive with the electric switch box.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if this is something for this thread or the "Dragging things down thread" but here goes:

I started playing Yakuza Kiwami finally. Majima was introduced. That's it.

I think that cutscene gave me actual whiplash...

Do I get to hurt him? Please say yes.

i would say that the majority of the game involves hurting majima

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My favorite heat action is just throwing people in a river. Uh oh, you got wet, now you can't fight anymore!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i would say that the majority of the game involves hurting majima

:neckbeard:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

My favorite heat action is just throwing people in a river. Uh oh, you got wet, now you can't fight anymore!

Being thrown into river would demoralize me pretty quickly tbh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

my clothes are all heavy now and my pocket candy is RUINED

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Push El Burrito posted:

I like the rare opportunities the game gives you to throw dudes off roofs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Majima wants to be friends through violence, you should celebrate your friendship often and at every opportunity you see him. :toughguy:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Majima wants to be friends through violence, you should celebrate your friendship often and at every opportunity you see him. :toughguy:

Majima wouldn't want you to hold back, so he would be strongly supportive of you using every heat action you can on him at every opportunity

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

you can fight marijuana?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Meowywitch posted:

you can fight marijuana?

yeah but you can’t win

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nuebot posted:

I like the rare opportunities the game gives you to throw dudes off roofs.

You fight a guy to stop him throwing himself off the roof and almost inevitably throw him off the roof yourself

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Last Celebration posted:

Last I checked the Judgement games are gonna be the old school brawlers going forward. It is insanely hosed that Ichiban Kasuga has three unique jobs in LAD8 and not a single one has Essence of Bike Smash though. Almost as hosed up as Kiryu tripping balls and hallucinating, but not having a move where he hits them with the bike.

i dont think the judgement games are going to have you fight a tiger or a bear at any point though

or win a live chicken through bowling

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You fight a guy to stop him throwing himself off the roof and almost inevitably throw him off the roof yourself

It's great. In 4 there's a sub quest (or maybe it was a main plot thing? I can't remember) where a bunch of dudes mob you on a roof and I just threw them all, one by one, off the roof and it was my favorite part of that game. It was just so drat silly.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVc4vWilfE sorry, its a suplex onto the guard rail and it looks like it loving hurts

Kiryu has never killed anyone, but boy howdy has he stressed the absolute gently caress out of Japan's orthopedic capacity.

overeager overeater posted:

Yakuza 6 has my personal favorite move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGcaaSlPbE

Maybe it's the victim being clearly more confused and upset than injured

This one is incredible, dude just looks so forlorn to be removed from the fight at speed.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

I want a heat action where you shove a dude in a cab and pay the cabbie to drive him to a different city. or if the travel to nara at any point, a heat action where you stuff a dude’s pockets full of deer crackers and the local deer harass the thug until he breaks down crying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I want a heat action where you shove a dude in a cab and pay the cabbie to drive him to a different city. or if the travel to nara at any point, a heat action where you stuff a dude’s pockets full of deer crackers and the local deer harass the thug until he breaks down crying.

The deer pile onto the guy trying to get at the biscuits, kicking up a big dustpile obfuscating everything, and when the deer disperse, he's just gone.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The deer pile onto the guy trying to get at the biscuits, kicking up a big dustpile obfuscating everything, and when the deer disperse, he's just gone.

lol but absolutely lmao because my wife bought a ton of deer senbei when we went to nara like 5 years ago and then was constantly chased by the deer while crying until i gave the crackers to other deer and kids who wanted to feed the deer.

it's like the most realistic heat action possible.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just fight the deer

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

just fight the deer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

just fight the deer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn7OdA2dVqA

edit: drat YOU NOISE! :argh:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
there are taxi heat actions in either 5 or 6 in the taxi minigame

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i feel like it is a missed opportunity that the yakuza series never went to nara.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

there are taxi heat actions in either 5 or 6 in the taxi minigame

Kiryu Kazuma has never killed anyone in a traffic accident, somehow.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Extremely minor thing, but I like that in Dragon's Dogma 2, if you're a fighter and just kinda hanging out, your character will casually rest their hand on their weapon's hilt. After so many games where the weapon is just kinda glued to your character's back or side, it's nice to have it feel like an actual physical object.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

NoiseAnnoys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbWbPwonCM

Not quite the same thing, but close!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm a good chunk into Tomb Raider 4 now, the Temple of Karnak. So far this has been the most fun of all the games.

2 had far too many enemies with guns and the levels tried really hard to feel realistic in scope and structure but it resulted in them being labyrinthine and easy to get lost in (although the city levels like Venice owned).
3 did away mostly with the gun enemies but bringing back the save crystal system sucked and both 2 and 3 had boss fights that didn't fit the mechanics, although 3's bosses were better than 2's - I did give up on 3 because of how annoying and unfun kayaking was plus the save crystals.

4 has quicksaving so exploring feels like you are allowed to do it again as it was nice in 2 (and for 2's final boss I completely abused them because it was total garbage) and the areas feel less sprawling than 3 because 3 had a lot of cheap traps and way too many hidden poison enemies that just exist to force you to waste a medkit. 4's only poison enemies so far have been the scorpions which are easy enough to avoid, I only got got by one once.

Also 4 has the best secrets, 1-3's secrets were often just a hidden ledge or a series of jumps that you could take over precarious locations, of which the latter were fun, but 4's secrets feel the most rewarding because 2's secrets were crap, they were just coloured idols so it felt pointless to get them as the other games hide useable items which are cool and fun and make it feel rewarding before the endgame payoff (which I have unlocked none of as in none of the games do I have all the secrets), and 3s were alright but unremarkable (mostly jump across ledges to a part of the level that you may not have noticed then jump all the way back but you have to go quite far to get the payoff)

By contrast, 4s secrets have cooler entrances like the one in the first level where you swing on the rope before using the Eye pieces on the wall and have to dodge a spike trap that's constantly circumnavigating a massive room, and one in the Temple of Karnak where going through a small hidden crawlspace in the opening area leads you into a massive antechamber with a bunch of pots to break with goodies in them.

Also, 3 felt like I never had any of the cooler weapons while 4 throws them at you from the start so you have options and a shitload of ammo. In 3 I had ammo but no guns to use them with for most of the game so had to rely on the pistols as I kept missing the secrets that had the cooler gear.

TLDR, 4's the best so far and has cool and fun secrets.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Mar 22, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbWbPwonCM

Not quite the same thing, but close!

lol forgot about that one

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Perestroika posted:

Extremely minor thing, but I like that in Dragon's Dogma 2, if you're a fighter and just kinda hanging out, your character will casually rest their hand on their weapon's hilt. After so many games where the weapon is just kinda glued to your character's back or side, it's nice to have it feel like an actual physical object.

One of my favorite animation related things in Ghost of Tsushima is how Jin holds his hand on the scabbard while jogging to keep the sword steady.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best sword thing in Ghost of Tsushima is you can swipe on the touchpad to perform a cool flourishing sword sheath the instant you kill the last guy, before he even hits the ground

The worst sword thing in Ghost of Tsushima is that the last guy is then crawling around on the ground dying and you have to redraw your sword, kill him, and sheath it again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

haveblue posted:

The worst sword thing in Ghost of Tsushima is that the last guy is then crawling around on the ground dying and you have to redraw your sword, kill him, and sheath it again

That's when you pull out your flute and serenade his final moments, maybe call up a rainstorm if he was a real jerk

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

One of the first things that happens in Dragon's Dogma II is a ride on a griffin, and after it I just checked my map for the first time and saw that a long narrow path across the world map has been uncovered between where I started and where I am now. Now that's a nice touch :allears:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile Ubisoft games like Far Cry or Ghost Recon Wildlands / Breakpoint refuse to remove the fog of war from maps if you use aircraft/helicopters :argh:

But the cool thing in FC6 is there's a flying car, which counts as a land vehicle for the purpose of uncovering the map :allears:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Helldivers 2, your cape is always billowing. Even when you’re standing in a spaceship.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Helldivers 2, you finish the tutorial and step directly into a cryopod. You then get shot directly into battle and die horrifically. The game gives your character a different voice with each reinforcement, and everyone is screaming with cracked voices. You aren't playing one diver who's getting better, every single respawn is a new, whole person who is likely about get dissolved by acid on their first drop. It's terrible :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Helldivers 2, you finish the tutorial and step directly into a cryopod. You then get shot directly into battle and die horrifically. The game gives your character a different voice with each reinforcement, and everyone is screaming with cracked voices. You aren't playing one diver who's getting better, every single respawn is a new, whole person who is likely about get dissolved by acid on their first drop. It's terrible :allears:

The actual main character is the destroyer, because it's what you name and put resources for improvement into.