Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I really liked the crazy heat moves in Kiwami 2

Both of us definitely winced the first time we used the heat move in the convenience store (dunno why I said gas station) where you slam a dude's head into the microwave then have the cashier turn the microwave on

Weird Pumpkin has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

which one has pouring boiling water from a pot on a guy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Both of us definitely winced the first time we used the heat move in the gas station where you slam a dude's head into the microwave then have the cashier turn the microwave on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK2_iW89wx0
It's... pretty brutal with the smoke... :yikes:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Essence of Face Grating is always my go-to “Jesus Christ Kiryu” move. That or box of nails.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

I am a man entering my 40s in just two months, and Ichiban is a great inspiration to me. If he can rise to such heights after waking up in the gutter, then so I can!

Legit he's a pretty perfect protagonist for an audience of betrayed burnt out millennials

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
My favourite heat moves have the be the salt shaker one, where Kiryu shakes salt in the persons eyes, and the back breaker on the low fence

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Both of us definitely winced the first time we used the heat move in the convenience store (dunno why I said gas station) where you slam a dude's head into the microwave then have the cashier turn the microwave on

The biggest loss of going turn based is not being able to fight inside businesses and do heat moves there. They developed something so powerful that they had to immediately move on.

Kinda like the Kamurocho underground

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Was it Sleeping Dogs that had a context finisher where you shove a dude's head or whatever into an HVAC unit's fan in the first 5 minutes despite being an undercover cop? I remember having that happen in a game and it was just kinda Too Much for me at the time so I ended up never touching it again.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kitfox88 posted:

Was it Sleeping Dogs that had a context finisher where you shove a dude's head or whatever into an HVAC unit's fan in the first 5 minutes despite being an undercover cop? I remember having that happen in a game and it was just kinda Too Much for me at the time so I ended up never touching it again.

Yeah that’s the one, the finishers are all extremely brutal and it never really stops escalating. You shove the last boss into an ice chipper!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A mobile game spinoff apparently establishes that getting your rear end kicked by Kiryu has become a rite of passage for Kamurocho gangsters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

Wei Shen is not actually very good at being a cop.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I mean it's a pretty easy filter. anyone who won't fight Kiryu when you ask is too smart not loyal enough for the Yakuza. And then they're judged on how much of a fight they put up before getting turbofucked.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kitfox88 posted:

Throw dudes on hanging hooks, throw dudes on spearfish heads, break knees multiple times on one person

Wei is a very nice undercover cop

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Throw dudes on hanging hooks, throw dudes on spearfish heads, break knees multiple times on one person

Wei is a very nice undercover cop

Remember that he’s an American cop on secondment to Hong Kong. He’s actually unrealistically nonviolent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

YggiDee posted:

I mean it's a pretty easy filter. anyone who won't fight Kiryu when you ask is too smart not loyal enough for the Yakuza. And then they're judged on how much of a fight they put up before getting turbofucked.

And if anyone refuses they just call up Majima to call them chicken.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

One of the funniest things in the Yakuza series to me is that people constantly rag on how old Kiryu and Ichiban are. Just a non-stop wave of people going "Shut up old man" to a guy built like a brick shithouse who then picks up a scooter and beats 3 people to the ground with it.
Its kinda a shame there isn't a thing where by late game Yakuza that enemy gang members aren't fleeing from him in the streets like he's pacman with a power pill.

You know that does feel really out of place now that you mention it. Feels like it should be more common for 90's and early 2000's movies with some bratty kid or like 13 year old.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Lone Badger posted:

Remember that he’s an American cop on secondment to Hong Kong. He’s actually unrealistically nonviolent.

Going to the dojo to practice and brutally breaking the legs of every student in there never got old.

And the swordfish heads, goddamn did I love convenient pallets if swordfish heads.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Roblo posted:

Going to the dojo to practice and brutally breaking the legs of every student in there never got old.

And the swordfish heads, goddamn did I love convenient pallets if swordfish heads.

Don't forget the elbows too!

Any time you practice a new move, you are required to also break some kneecaps too :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6eILc_YHsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi2CM7mwrcA&t=108s

Just a simple training exerci-AAAAAARGGH! :byodood:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sleeping dogs is goty and regularly goes on sale for suuuuper cheap

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

My favourite heat moves have the be the salt shaker one, where Kiryu shakes salt in the persons eyes, and the back breaker on the low fence

Is the latter the one where he atomises the opponent's coccyx?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've always been fond of Majima non-lethally stabbing a guy in the neck with a metal umbrella stick because of the flair he brings to it, I imagine a lot of people miss it on a casual playthrough too since there aren't many places with random umbrellas.

https://files.catbox.moe/6octmq.mp4

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kanfy posted:

I've always been fond of Majima non-lethally stabbing a guy in the neck with a metal umbrella stick because of the flair he brings to it, I imagine a lot of people miss it on a casual playthrough too since there aren't many places with random umbrellas.

https://files.catbox.moe/6octmq.mp4

I have about 300 or so hours in Y0 and have never seen that lol, that rules.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVc4vWilfE sorry, its a suplex onto the guard rail and it looks like it loving hurts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's all the funnier that the Heat moves are barely off Fatalities and explicitly non-lethal.

It's even funnier that you can do almost all of them to Majima.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man the old Yakuza games just had their own vibe. LAD is very good but not quite the same.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVc4vWilfE sorry, its a suplex onto the guard rail and it looks like it loving hurts

there's also the one where you break a dude's coccyx by slamming them down on a railing. also the one in sotenbori where you do the same by throwing a guy off the bridge onto a boat.

the car door ones are always the ones that make me wince though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ilmucche posted:

Sleeping dogs is goty and regularly goes on sale for suuuuper cheap

I mean I think I'll still have that same problem going off those training vids, it's one thing if it's a Yakuza using a bike to make someone paraplegic, it's another thing entirely if the MC is supposedly a cop who is semi casually shoving faces into fans and breaking knees to me. Just one of those unfortunate hangups like the weekend I wasted a blockbuster rental on Second Sight, killed the first guard you encountered, and then checked the computer he was at only to see a text chat where presumably his wife or girlfriend were like 'hey what's up you went quiet, are you ok? you're worrying me' and got so sick feeling that it kinda poo poo on that entire Saturday and had me not play more than those first five minutes :shrug:

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Mar 21, 2024

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man the old Yakuza games just had their own vibe. LAD is very good but not quite the same.

I completely agree with you here, and it kinda makes me sad that LAD has decided to go all in on being a goofy dragon quest, because simply put we have a lot of great turn based RPGs from a lot of sources, but nobody else is doing Yakuza. I'm really glad they did Ishin! And Gaiden because as much as I like LAD, it's just not the same as hitting people with every single bike in Tokyo

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Hattie Masters posted:

I completely agree with you here, and it kinda makes me sad that LAD has decided to go all in on being a goofy dragon quest, because simply put we have a lot of great turn based RPGs from a lot of sources, but nobody else is doing Yakuza. I'm really glad they did Ishin! And Gaiden because as much as I like LAD, it's just not the same as hitting people with every single bike in Tokyo

yeah as much as i like lad, the brawler yakuzae > turn-based yakuzae

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Outside of story missions, all yakuza fights are wrestling kayfabe. That's why everyone gets right back up after the fight's done even when they've had a knife shoved through them- handle included.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And if anyone refuses they just call up Majima to call them chicken.

Or just call up a chicken.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Always been a fan of Saejima whipping a dude face first into a street lamp for sheer brutality.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hattie Masters posted:

Last I checked the Judgement games are gonna be the old school brawlers going forward. It is insanely hosed that Ichiban Kasuga has three unique jobs in LAD8 and not a single one has Essence of Bike Smash though. Almost as hosed up as Kiryu tripping balls and hallucinating, but not having a move where he hits them with the bike.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Last I checked the Judgement games are gonna be the old school brawlers going forward.

And I'm glad they're there! But for reasons I cannot adequately explain, it just doesn't feel quite the same. But the Fist of the North Star game did. Beats me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, they outright said the turn-based games are cheaper and easier for them to make than the action-based ones, and also that they intend to continue making both. I think tone-wise they also seem to be more comfortable having Ichiban's games be more wacky and surreal while the others can be more on the gritty side.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wei Shen is not a good cop. That's like the whole point of the game

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Weird Pumpkin posted:

0 was the first yakuza game I played and in like, the very first actual fight of that game the first heat action I did entirely by accident had Kiryu open a car door, and slam it on a dude's head like five times. That was the moment I knew I'd love the series forever. Then a few minutes later I picked up a box of nails on the ground and that one is just horrible.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Last I checked the Judgement games are gonna be the old school brawlers going forward. It is insanely hosed that Ichiban Kasuga has three unique jobs in LAD8 and not a single one has Essence of Bike Smash though. Almost as hosed up as Kiryu tripping balls and hallucinating, but not having a move where he hits them with the bike.

yeah but i hate the stealth portions of the judgement games

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

0 was the first yakuza game I played and in like, the very first actual fight of that game the first heat action I did entirely by accident had Kiryu open a car door, and slam it on a dude's head like five times. That was the moment I knew I'd love the series forever. Then a few minutes later I picked up a box of nails on the ground and that one is just horrible.

I still think the worst (best) one is Essence of Face Grating, which is basically just what it sounds like with the grate being either the concrete floor (5) or a jumbo grater (Like A Dragon 7/8), makes me feel slightly uncomfortable every time it happens. Which is a lot in Yakuza 5, because it’s like the default “guy on the ground” Heat Move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's even funnier that you can do almost all of them to Majima.

can, and should