Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elfface posted:

Honestly, I think most of my problems with Sera would be solved with a different actress. She's supposed to be whimsical, but her actress is clearly having trouble emoting while also doing her accent, so she comes across as speaking too slowly and kinda monotone... She basically seems brain-damaged or mentally retarded.

It's like Rita from Arrested Development, but none of the characters ever realise.

Don't know what you're talking about man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBjddgm67E

This poo poo is pure poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

To be fair the game has the only non-important but still has a name and isn't a shopkeeper trans character explain MAGICAL SEX CHANGE SURGERY to the player. Why yes random friend, do inform me about your reasons for not wanting to transition as a trans person in this game about people cutting open their necks to summon meat monsters. The whole game's treatment of the trans issue is pretty baby's first tumblr post about trans rights.

And if you insult her you take the biggest hit of approval in the entire game.

People live or die based off your choices and you don't get an approval hit as bad if you insult the trans person.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kalos posted:

In Topico 5 your second in command is named Penultimo.

As a native spanish speaker this had me giggling for quite awhile.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

I really can't wait until somebody makes a mod to remove all the backer content, both because it will improve the game and for more delicious buttery tears from the backers.

Why would backers be mad over an optional mod. :confused:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tales of the Abyss has probably the WORST and most unlikable cast in RPG history, the villain is more sympathetic than any of them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

They're bad but I think that one Star Ocean game with the pedo-bait cat girl has Abyss beat easy.

I found the SO4 cast to be pure otaku bait and in many cases creepy as all gently caress like the cat girl and the 15 year old girl that looks 6 years old and talks like one, that poo poo was just disgusting and weird.

Abyss tries to be like your typical JRPG but everyone is just a total rear end in a top hat, its sort of refreshing to play a game like that but it makes it really hard to root for anyone.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Yuri is a great protagonist in a game that gets kind of weak the further you go along. The protagonist in the Tales games tends to be idealistic, with the rival characters tending towards a more pragmatic sort. In Tales of Vesperia, the protagonist takes that role instead. For instance, when a corrupt justice system lets a real nasty piece of work go free because of his money and connections, Yuri just straight up murders him.

The best character is still Repede, of course. Repede's loving awesome.

I loved Vesperia exactly for the reason you spoiled, it was something never expected in a JRPG.

Only bad part of Vesperia's cast is Rita.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Aztec posted:

Glad I never played past the ps1 star ocean then!

behind us?!

That's somewhere around 80 points.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In MKX Cassie Cage has a unique fatality where she obliterates her opponents jaw then takes a selfie, the scrolling comments is quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqgcxtMGKI

A fair warning, for a game full of over the top deaths, I find this one slightly unnerving, I think its the whole "wait they're still alive thing". :stonk:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All I remember about triple triad was at some point in disc 3 some rule was that you couldn't pick your cards, and like any good A.I driven thing it would give you total poo poo and the opponent the best possible ones, I stopped bothering with it after that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Whatever this linked it seems to be gone now.

But yea the pre-fight banter is awesome.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anarchy Reigns is a huge, huge disappointment and I regret wasting money on the rental. But its sorta-predecessor MadWorld is absolutely lovely for one important reason: the running commentary. I would pay any amount of money to have John DiMaggio and Greg Proops comment on every game.

"I can tell you from experience that those Happy Pills work even better if you grind them up and inject them into the folds of your scrotum."
"I'll give you a dollar if you can tell me one thing that isn't better if you grind it up and inject it into the folds of your scrotum."
"Ha-haaah! You got me!"

I actually enjoyed Anarchy Reigns quite a bit but everything revolving its release was hosed up so much that the game never stood a chance.

For starters the game was delayed for no reason for 6 months, it was in english already, hell a digital release could have been done but nope, just held off on it for months(supposedly its because Sega didn't have the money to print the discs for it), then they decide to include pre-order DLC, both a character and a game type, this kind of poo poo works for big titles, not niche stuff, it doesn't help that by releasing a gametype as DLC you are fracturing the player base right from the start.

But that wasn't the biggest blunder oh no, in their infinite wisdom the game player and ranked matches, you take a game that's going to be massively niche and you further split the player like that, I'm fairly certain the online died within weeks largely in part due to this.

The netcode was also atrocious which isn't a good thing for a pseudo fighting game

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

In Killing Floor 2 if you press reload when you have full ammo your character will do a little animation to check if it's full. Like if its a pistol he slides the magazine out or pulls the slide back, if it's a break action shotgun he opens it slightly, etc.

And if you reload but the clip isn't empty you'll see them put them the clip away.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Best thing about Batman is that he DOES NOT KILL.

Except when he's flying down the street in his tank and smashes into a criminal at 200mph hour, said criminal is also electrocuted upon contact with the tank.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ok guess I'm buying Witcher 3 today.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm suddenly sad I never bothered with ace combat.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

Arkham Knight:
Batman does not kill people, it's his ethos or creed or whatever. That being said, if you check out the mangled and severely pummeled bodies of the guys on the ground after a fight, you can see that they are breathing very shallowly.

One time I called the batmobile and it landed on top of someone.

But yea bats does not kill. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

I like to think they handed Kojima two concept art sheets, one with Quiet wearing a cool jury-rigged diver's suit full of water and meshes that like, enable oxygen absorption or something, all covered in moss and plants and stuff, and he loving loved it and was gonna implement it but then the second sheet just had titty Quiet and he quickly crumpled up the previous one and went with that

Kojima has literally said he made Quiet the way he did so attractive women would cosplay as her.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with him, his games are sometimes weird in a good way but he's basically a horny teenager and can't resist making sure you know that all the time in his character designs.

I think its because his games are generally very solid mechanically and have tons of neat hidden stuff to get, that and I assume most sane folk don't give a poo poo about scantily clad women in videogames.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

graybook posted:

Visit Mother Base. Sprint into one of your soldiers, knocking him/her down.
"THANK YOU, SIR!"
Staff Morale Increased

Same if you CQC them.

Its an honor to be held in your iron grip boss!

Staff Morale Increased!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've never been a big metal gear fan but wound up getting the game as an early birthday gift(bless my parents for having little knowledge of games and just asking the clerk what's good) and I can safely say I was very surprised at how it is, I expected more crap like MGS4 but nope, its entirely different and real loving good, the freedom I have is ridiculous and I am going to lose hours upon hours on managing mother base among other things, I even bought the guide for it, my first guide purchase in years cause of the sheer scope of it and drat there's so much poo poo to find and discover.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was very worried about the companions but apparently if they "die" they simply get extracted and can't be used for a period till they heal makes me WAY calmer about using D-dog. :unsmith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SevenSocks posted:

N-thing Phantom Pain

I'm sure it was somewhere in the marketing for the game and I just never saw it, but I just found out that once your combat unit is established you can swap Big Boss out for any old dude in your combat group.

Cue going out on missions as

Silent Mastodon: Former spetsnaz commander

Also, little thing, since your run of the mill diamond dogs don't have a bionic arm like the Boss, certain actions are slightly different. The one I noticed is that instead of sparking electricity from your hand to lure enemies, your generic dude just cracks his knuckles with the unholy popping of a thousand broken bones.

If you complete a mission you earn a medal that raises their stats, some of them also have special combat abilities that big boss does not.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arx Monolith posted:

Are there limited missions? If so my brain would shut down trying to decide who gets what from a pool of limited experience.

Can play em as much as you want.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

I have not noticed that, are you sure it's not his bionic arm? I've noticed that is hooked up when he's airborne.

If he gets seriously injured once he'll have a drip, if he gets seriously injured twice he'll have a blood bag.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

D-Dog grew up. Now he's like Koromaru if he was a spy with an eyepatch and riot gear. Poor Soviets just don't know what the gently caress when Big Boss and D-Dog attack together.

Also before that I did a mission taking out armored vehicles while on horseback with a bazooka and The Final Countdown blaring.

Also there was a mission where I got into a fight with a sniper. I took her out with a pair of artillery strikes.

Oh, and I got a mission I haven't tried yet to capture a "legendary bear".

Basically MSGV is amazing and wonderful once you start getting Mother Base set up. Or "Dog Hotel" as the emblem says.

You can also take out the sniper non lethally by bonking her twice with supply drops.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So this just dropped in Diablo 3 for me.

Its a little kitty cat!

Can't be seen here but he wiggles around and grooms himself while you're holding him and have your weapon drawn, if you toss him down as an item, he's sleeping, if you put him in the stash he meows at you, not sure what happens if I salvage him because that seems kind of cruel, I'll probably just keep him in my inventory forever. :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gann Jerrod posted:

The 2009 Ghostbusters game had a running counter of how much property damage you caused, with an achievement for staying under $100,000 worth of damages, and another for doing over $3,000,000.

Speaking of property damage and achievements, the Saints Row series has a minigame called Mayhem where the goal is to chain together the destruction of just about everything to reach a certain amount of money. In the first two games, the best strategy was to focus on fences, as each segment was separate and built up your chain bonus fast. Saint Row the Third pays homage to this by having the achievement for fully completing the Mayhem activity be called "Fence Killa 2011".

I have both of those GB achievements and holy gently caress was it hard to get, there are certain areas where destroying even a single thing would be like 200,000 or some poo poo, mostly in the museum, you had to be very careful with your shots.

gently caress I wanna play that game again, it was so drat good.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just logged on to MGSV, Miller tells me I need to head back to base now cause its an emergency.

They sang me happy birthday. :3:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sad lions posted:

The walker you get EVENTUALLY gets a launcher.

Anyone know if nuke development negatively affects relationships with allies? I just earned the Outer Heaven logo and suddenly I dream of greatness.

The nuke gives you minus 50,000 heroism points and puts you at the demon snake point which gives you a cosmetic effect which affects stealth, other than that, no it doesn't affect anything with allies.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding the final boss in the new Destiny raid.

I expected another humanoid boss, not something the size of a building with a myriad of mechanics, really impressive stuff.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Polaron posted:

I love the new Ghost. He sounds so genuinely excited to be helping you.

"Hey, do you ever think we shouldn't have woken the Hive? But then we'd never have had such great times with those guys!"

I like how Nolan didn't try to imitate Dinklage, he just went with a more nerdy voice and made it his own thing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rex was so well built that even severely battle damaged it still took out another Metal Gear that was designed entirely to destroy Rex.

Though I guess the pilot might have had something to do with that as well.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My fave MGSV moment is when you have to go recruit old mother base soldier, if you approach them normally it becomes a benny hill sequence, if you approach them in a box though they go "IS THAT YOU BOSS?" and it becomes trivial to recruit them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Murdoch posted:

In that particular case it was less about L4D2 being lovely (though there is a case to be made about L4D2 being not-that-great) and more about Valve immediately releasing a follow up one year later instead of supporting the original game in the same vein as TF2, which GabeN originally said they were going to do.

Yea they promised all sorts of poo poo, new campaigns, new weapons(a flamethrower was rumored) even new outfits.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege posted:

MGSV: I was so grossed out and angry at first, and would have posted this in the worst thing in games thread but the Ocelot model swap mod video has now made it my favorite thing the rain scene

yea kojima is so icky and gross ugh, what a shitlord pissbaby

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brain In A Jar posted:

The main storyline writing in Guild Wars 2 is terrible, but the incidental dialogue team deserves an award for their work. Everywhere you go, there's these pointless little conversations between NPCs that are fully voice acted. They serve absolutely no mechanical purpose beyond being kind of entertaining, but they're really good at making the world feel alive when the devs could have just copped out and filled towns with a bunch of generic NPCs who say nothing.

Even when major changes take place (like a whole town getting destroyed and rebuilt) the writers dutifully come up with new dialogue for dozens of NPCs and have them all recorded and voice acted. It's really charming and is one of the things that makes GW2 an engaging game to play.

That's because for some reason the lore team and the people who handled open world dialogue are entirely different, mostly people prefer the open world stuff as its a lot better written and more natural.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea AC really peaked with 2 and Ezio's story, I honestly an HD collection of those.

One of the things I liked the best in revelations was the little touches in Ezio's animations showing he was getting old especially in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Melee was generally a lot stronger than bullets in RE6