Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
In Trine 2, there's a little puzzle involving a giant frog where you need to pull down a piece of fruit as bait and use the frog's tongue as a ramp. The frog is too fukken lazy to move, so if you pull the fruit out of range, it'll lean forward slightly but nothing else. If you drop it in the nearby pool of water, the frog will bend over, smiling, and then look crestfallen as it sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

People really like it when sequels intentionally deconstruct stuff from the previous games so long as it's a sequel by Obsidian. Otherwise they complain that it isn't internally consistent and is hamfisted and came out of nowhere.

The entire Geth subplot was picked up by a different and significantly more inept writer after the second game. It probably explains the incongruity.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has a very...European sense of humour. It's almost Python-esque.

"What in the blazes did you do with the pigs?!"
"They've moved on. Sometimes you have to let go of the things you love."

:allears:

Divinity 2 is jank as hell but tons of fun if you can get past that. The mind-reading in particular - you can scan the thoughts of every character in the game for an EXP cost, and they've all got different inner dialogue.

There's also the demented rhyming arch-mage who hounds you throughout the entire game for no reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do you know what I really like in games? I really like looking through dead peoples' houses and taking their dead-people stuff.

For this reason, The Last of Us has lately been a fountain of delight. I've got a whole suburb to scavenge with no loading screens, somebody pinch me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's a little bewildering how many people here seem to be unfamiliar with the Binding of Isaac, especially since this forum's crawling with PC-gaming supremacists. It's been a Steam fixture for like three years now.

Rebirth's pretty great, though. The remixed music alone is worth the price of admission.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Isn't there a toggle to un-alias all the lines? I mean, that's pretty much the sole difference between Rebirth's graphics and the base game, besides improved textures and more incidental detail.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

There's a filter that smooths things out, yes. It still looks worse* than the original Isaac. It's still going to be far better than the original as a game though, since the original is literally unpatchable and the new one is going to be updated and bug fixed and probably added on to for years to come.

*Worse meaning it looks like something from the mid-90s. If you like that art style, fine, I'm just not necessarily a fan of it as a deliberate stylistic choice.

I'm kind of scratching my head as to how the original was actually superior, besides the lack of pixels. I put over 40 hours into that thing and even when the more detailed Wrath of the Lamb models landed the graphics were never anything more than glorified napkin scribbles. Now we've got glorified napkin scribbles, but with pixels and a bit of intestine here and there. There's no difference!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

In a codec call Raiden mentions that not only can he eat, he can taste and selectively turn off his taste buds if he has to eat gross poo poo.

It's hilarious imagining a guy with essentially an exposed mandible trying to eat soup while guarding a foreign dignitary.

He's got another body for nice occasions. Comes with the tuxedo already on and everything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

This is my new favorite thing in games.

I love that stupid loving series so much, you guys.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

Boy howdy. You can not be nice or friendly to him without it immediately taking on sexual tones. I'm neutral or hostile to him each time I play just because of it.

The only saving grace to that is that after one or two creepazoid convos you can make Shepard take the hint from Jacob and drop all the amorous advances. Then it's fistbumps all the way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The headshot sound effect in RE4 may be the most viscerally satisfying clip in gaming history and no I don't care that this sounds weird. SQUISH.

Evil Within used the same sound, I'm pretty sure. Can't blame it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

redweird posted:

Brothers- A Tale Of Two Sons is a cool puzzle game with a good story. The gameplay mechanic is that you each brother with each analog stick and trigger. I recommend that you buy it if you want to see how a narrative can be done videogame style.

"Good" videogame stories are ones that use their medium to accomplish things that couldn't be done with raw text alone. Planescape is probably the best-known game script that gets by exclusively on its text and even then, it's middle-tier fantasy at best. Other lauded titles like Silent Hill 2, Suda51's work (before he started quarter-assing everything), Nier, or even more contentious ones like Spec Ops: The Line or Telltale's Walking Dead games lash their script to the gameplay itself in ways beyond "get bigger numbers, make the bad things die," which is way more noteworthy to me. Brothers never grabbed me because the story it told veered between way too pat and way too contrived (why on earth did that spider-girl guide them through that whole invisible-monster village just to snack on those kids, does she really need to eat at home that badly), but I could still appreciate the button-prompt trick it pulled in the end. It said things without saying them.

Which is why I have a great big crush on Kentucky Route Zero! The way it uses The Walking Dead's CYOA-but-not-really text selections to let the player emphasize various aspects of the characters' personalities or histories would be great even if the text itself didn't have that beautifully sparse, surreal tone. Especially in Episode 3, where you can effectively foreshadow main character Conway's backwards slide into despair, alcoholism, and debt slavery way before it actually happens.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Is that what that game's about? I tried playing it briefly and couldn't tell what was happening or why, or what I was supposed to be achieving.

Yeah, it becomes clear that the puzzles you're solving are reviving the machine section by section, and at one point you find the skeletonized remains of the guy who used to be in charge of making it run. Kairo was pretty neat.

wait, poo poo, it's tiggum again, no wonder

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Parts of it were. You could hack him in as a party member but he was missing a bunch of dialogue and the intro mission to recruit him wasn't on the disc at all.

Yeah, Patrick Weekes said in a forum post that he was one more piece of content that Bioware had to gut out for time, and used the release period to finish coding him in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, 4 was remarkably sophisticated for that dumb, dumb series. Kenway doesn't belong to any faction; he's a freewheeling, greed-crazed rear end in a top hat who's so hung up on his Big Mystical Treasure that he alienates everyone who even pretends to give a poo poo about him. He never formally joins the Assassins, he just throws in with them after wising up to his own mistakes long enough to clean up his mess and then retires into obscurity.

Likewise, the Assassins and the Templars are caught up in their own little war with neither side coming off looking too rosy, and the worst of them all turns out to be some serially reincarnated alien ex-boyfriend who plays them all for chumps.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And all the shows in Max Payne 2 related back to the plot in some way, as well. That game was a PhD course in metaplot nonsense and somehow managed to keep it from feeling over-indulgent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Fixed that for you. Rita's great despite starting out as rather annoying.

And Estelle's only real crime is being kind of bland with some plot hints that don't seem to go anywhere.

Estelle earns a solid gold medal for being a female protagonist in a JRPG with no romantic tendencies toward the lead. They're just good buddies, and good buddies they stay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The enemy chatter in that game was so good. One of my favorite conversations went something like:

":orks:: I heard the Gravewalker killed a captain the other day. Chopped his head right off!"

":orks101:: If someone chopped my head off, I'd just keep fighting. Don't need a head to fight."

Seconds later: Orc 2's hypothesis is disproven.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

QuietLion posted:

In Metro: Last Light, the Dark One is disguised as a child at one point because of all the humans around. While he's disguised in the decontamination chamber with the Colonel and Khan, the Dark One waves at the soldiers outside and acts surprised and curious when the spray system activates. I originally thought that he was creepy, but after running around with him for awhile, he's kind of adorable. :3:

The Dark One child looks like Bat Boy mated with a squid but he endears himself to you fast. Like when he sees a billboard of people doing people things, like wearing clothes.

"You wear clothes. I want clothes."

*appears several minutes later, in full hobo ensemble*

"Yaaaaay"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

At least in Bloodborne he has some kind of comeuppance considering how he's just a head on a giant spider body.

He still gets off pretty well given that every spider in the game is a similarly transformed human. Patches is just such a dick that even eldritch transmogrification can't reduce him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I gotta disagree. Nier's combat was actually good. But despite its amazing pedigree, I have a feeling the sequel is going to be awful -- especially since the end of the first game was pretty goddamn definitive: The Shadowlord was the only thing keeping the Shades sane, and you killed him. The Black Scrawl will eventually kill everyone, and that's only if they aren't slaughtered by insane Shades.

Nier is a great game because it actually hammers in just how hosed everything is.

One of the best things about Yoko Taro as a developer is that he doesn't take on projects unless he has a personal investment in them. He wouldn't bother with Nier 2 unless he felt like it had a story worth telling.

Plus he suffers zero executive pressure because he's essentially a patron of some SE higher-up who must have a love for offbeat RPG's matched only by a violent hatred of children.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
At this point, "well-intentioned bad guy who truly believes they're right" is more of a cliche than the mustache-twirling kind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Not enough villains. So many just want to take over the world, or destroy it, or summon their dark god (for...reasons?), or gain great power, etc. None of them could possibly believe that was the right thing to do if they had any shred of sanity, or decent writing, in them.

Name some. Preferably from the last five years. Right now I'm just coming up with whatsisface from Fire Emblem Awakening and maybe whosisname from Dying Light.

Honestly at this point I've seen so many well-intentioned extremist badguys that it'd be a relief to deal with one who's a) evil just for the hell of it, and b) not the Joker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

The omelette metaphor is so tired at this point. I roll my eyes whenever I hear a villain say it. It doesn't even really make sense because it assumes whole unfertilized eggs are a precious commodity if they aren't otherwise intended for eating, whereas "If you want to make a better world you have to kill millions of innocent people" doesn't really fit with that ideology. Just once I want someone in a piece of fiction to call out a villain for using that analogy.

Tom Waits (as always) says it best:

quote:

Good can't help but do a little evil
And evil can't help but do a little good.

And then:

quote:

Who's that singin in the kitchen by the stooooove?
All aboard for the night train!
Ooh, they say the moon, it smells just like a CHER-RY BOMB.
C'mon hoooome, all is forgiven.
Everything costs.
Deliver us from evil and carry your own cross!

This may or may not be related to the first quote. Tom Waits is very mysterious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Is there an LP of the game that does not have an annoying shrieking rear end in a top hat in the corner of the screen reacting like a bitchmade babyman to everything happening? I'm curious now.

Look up HarshlyCritical's stuff. He's got the face-cam thing going on, but his whole gimmick is he plays horror games like an actual adult instead of like a side-character in a Casper the Friendly Ghost short.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember at least one article where someone asked Kojima his opinion on Revengeance and his reply was basically a three-minute long squeal of joy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Really it's the power fantasies where you are effecting positive change that are the most dangerous, when you think about it.....

positive charge

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I recently signed up for the Humble Monthly, and it's been pretty great so far. One of the nicest surprises was The Magic Circle, which I'd never heard of before, and ended up being my favorite game in the entire bundle, including The Stick of Truth and like six other games.

The idea behind The Magic Circle is that you're the hero of a fantasy game stuck in development hell, and you're trying to get the game released before the studio goes bankrupt. At one point, you find out that before the current version, there was a sci-fi imagining of the game that was nearly complete before being cancelled, and suddenly those files are mixed in with the files of the current version. What's really cool is that all the objects from the old scifi version are pixelated like a 90s FPS, even when laid against a different backdrop:

This game is short, but incredible, and I'd never heard of it before. You folks are where I usually hear about quirky games, and you failed me.

It's also a lengthy gently caress-you to Ken Levine from his former employees after the disastrous production of Bioshock Inifinite.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like that the multiplayer actually seems to reward just loving off and doing your own thing instead of clustering together. The added mobility lets you pick off people from multiple angles at the expense of having no one to bail you out if you're downed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

Holy poo poo I don't know if this is like, a specific feature or if I just accidentally did something awesome, but early on in Witcher 3 I did a job for some fire priest guy who ended up being super shady and tried to bribe me at the end, and when I declined he and his bodyguards attacked me. I killed one of the guards and was focusing on the other with the priest guy offscreen behind me, and when he rushed in to attack me from behind I think I like, just tilted the stick towards him and hit fast attack or something? Whatever non-dramatic button combination it was, Geralt just barely turned into a backhanded stroke and lopped the dude's head off in a fraction of a second before turning back to the remaining guard. I laughed for about 30 seconds straight, it was amazing. This game rules.

That priest is coded to die in one hit and lose whatever limb you strike him on, so it was a combination of deliberate programming and happy coincidence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's still a shame that the English version makes the dog samurai quiet because he's shy, unlike in the original where he was just too loving drunk to string words together properly.

You can even see him lapping from a cup of the hard stuff in his victory animation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I liked Covenant but From the New World came off as the platonic ideal of "trying too hard."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
On a similar note, Grasshopper's latest F2P brawler Let It Die has something like two hundred songs on its soundtrack, and a ton of them are by well-known Japanese bands made up just for the game. It's weirdly subliminal, because after hearing a dozen different songs from three different genres all with choruses containing the phrase "LET IT DIE" you start hearing that poo poo in your sleep.

There's an awful lot of love put into that game for something with a freemium model.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I finished The Last Guardian and for all the complaints in his AI, Trico is basically nice little things from end to end. His AI is some of the best I've seen - even though you meet him right at the start of the game and stick by him for pretty much the whole duration, it's still possible to see how he develops from basically being a stray cat who tags along because you fed it once to Best Friend Forever. He becomes distracted less easily and starts taking bigger and bigger risks of his own volition to keep the kid safe.

One of my favorite bits is a lategame part where the two of you are navigating a really structurally unsound tower, and Trico jumps onto a ledge only to have it crumble beneath him. The gate into the tower is locked, so he's left frantically scrabbling for purchase as you jump off his head and climb around the outside of the tower to unlock the gate and let him in. Once he's safely inside, he gives you the signal to jump down so he can catch you in his mouth (something he's done several times so far), and he does - only for the kid to slip out of his mouth and force him to lunge almost half his body down the wall to grab him again. You can almost see him think "OH poo poo" when he loses his grip.

Trico gets so tired of ledges collapsing under him that he starts taking bigger and bigger leaps across gaps so he lands on more solid ground. It works, for a while - and then at one point he misses his mark and smashes full-force into the wall beside the doorway. Poor catdogbird can't catch a break.

Also he paws at barrels and stuff like a bored kitten and if you stand in front of him for too long he'll either lower his big doggy head for pets or grab you and flip you up onto his back to get a move on, it's the cutest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also whenever he catches you from a high fall with his tail, no matter how much danger he's in, he'll always quickly glance behind him to make sure you're still holding on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
World of Final Fantasy has a coliseum run by a Tonberry with Urdnot Wrex's voice and it is a disconcertingly perfect fit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When Odin Sphere Leifthrasir came out everyone was praising it for updating the original's clunky stamina-based mechanics to that of a full-on brawler, but I thought that was all they updated. Nope, Vanillaware also added new map backgrounds, new animations for every character (including idle animations, I'm pretty sure), an entire skill system for more combo potential, and a huge inventory-system update to include item storage and stackable consumables. It's nuts.

But the best part is the wandering chef who you can summon on the field by ringing bells at rest points. He's a totally new NPC with unique dialogue for every major zone. The first place you can summon him at is a mountain in the middle of a blizzard and one possible greeting is something like, "Oh, thank goodness there's a customer this time! I keep thinking someone rang the bell and it turns out it's only the wind." :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

I would be shocked if idle animations were added in. I haven't played Odin Sphere but if I know anything about Vanillaware it's that they just can't resist making their characters... Pulsate, or whatever it is they do with their animation style

It's been a long time since I've played the original, but Gwendolyn has an idle where she lets a bird alight on her hand and I don't remember it from the PS2 version.

There are definitely new active animations, though. There's an entire new mechanic where you can release Phozons (to grow seeds and such) instead of just sucking them in, and every character has a unique stance for the release. Not to mention all the new skills.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

One of the raids is basically just a giant homage to FF3. It's really weird that square seems to have a massive love for 3, wasn't that the one almost no one liked?

That was FF2. FF3 is the one no one remembers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

There are enough goons that we had to create 3 different free companies (guilds/clans/etc) on a single server. Why are there more than 1, you ask? Not because of drama or anything like that - it's because we hit the player cap twice. The player cap of 512 per fc

In a game where a single character can max level every single class and change freely without needing alts

I didn't play FFXIV for very long (just don't have that kind of time to dedicate to one game) but the goons playing it were nice and chill, as well.

If you like FF and MMO's it's kind of a no-brainer.