Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

I really like some of the background interactions in the game. Most of them are fairly mundane but there's something ridiculous about The Flash hopping on a motorcycle and running your opponent over with it.

I like that everybody's ultimate move is some crazy complex combo, except Superman who's just like "k, you're going to space now *effortlessly uppercuts you into orbit*".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I still can't figure out why on earth seeing your own feet in games where you never ever need to see your own feet is such a sticking point other than some silly "my immersion!" thing. Why does anyone care?

It never bothers me unless they make you do jumping puzzles.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I only rented Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I didn't get very far in the story. But even in that short time, I found something to love: it lets you suckerpunch people, and not only that, to suckerpunch people as a valid resolution to quests.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My favorite thing about Last of Us is how the game would echo my own reactions. There was one part where I found a music store, and just as I realized "all this music will never be heard again..", Ellie spoke up with the same sentiment.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I dunno if it was scripted or not, but there was one bit where I busted into an area, blew some fucker's face off with the shotgun and Lara yelled "That's right, still alive!" while his buddy scrambled for cover. :black101:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ariong posted:

I always thought it was because will smith had a huge cigar in his mouth.

"Now that's what I call a close encounter" is the line he says with the cigar.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

If you replay a mission in which you lost a soldier, you can have them survive it, but instead of being able to jump back to a later mission and use the newly revived soldier, it creates a branching timeline on the campaign screen - one for each time you completed a mission more than once. If you're a perfectionist, you can easily have dozens of aborted timelines reminding you of every time you decided you could do better, but also still allowing you to continue from there if you want to see what that mission would've been like if you'd accepted the loss of your best mechanic or whatever.

That is pretty fuckin' cool. I'll have to pick that up.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

a kitten posted:

I recently started playing Final Fantasy XIV. Like a lot of MMOs you can get mini-pets for your character, and I love the fact that some of them do more than just hang out with you. There's a coeurl (magic leopard) kitten that will jump into the fray and take teeny-tiny swats at enemies.

Whenever you get into combat, the kitten arches its back and hisses at the enemy. :3:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

How do you interpret 'turn the other cheek' as 'hurt your enemy'?

'Turn your face away, to ignore their suffering.'

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I loved how in Infamous, you could hit a button and Cole would do a sonar-like 'ping' and light up any nearby collectable doodads on your minimap.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I only pray that any Saints Row installations on next gen consoles finally have the cock physics we were promised.

Lucifer had dangle physics in Dante's Inferno back in 2010, I don't see what the holdup is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

scarycave posted:

That took some serious balls to put that in the game.

Also Cleopatra pulls out babies from her giant boobs and one monster attacks with explosive making GBS threads.

I'm gonna list that as a favorite thing for the thread: the treatment of Circle of Lust in Dante's Inferno.

Given some of the promotional stuff they did (and videogames in general), I was rather worried it would be all "sexy demoness fetish funtimes", but no. It was disgusting and vile and corrupt and, rather appropriately, made me say "goddamn :stare:" when I played it.

It's really a shame that the game's only remembered, if at all, for being one of the God of War knockoffs, because I thought it did an excellent job in bringing Hell to life.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Also didn't help that for the last couple of circles they ran out of ideas and the game ends with a challenge arena section.

I think it was more that they ran out of time or money. There's concept art for the Malebolge showing some enemy and level designs that didn't get in.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Dead Space 3 had kinda crappy writing true, but there was one blend of QTE and writing I really liked - :smith:

In God of War: Chains of Olympus Kratos has been forgiven of his sins by Persephone and entered Elysium, reuniting with his daughter. Then he finds out he was tricked by Persephone to get him out of the way so she can take revenge on Olympus and revert the universe to Chaos, so he has to leave Elysium and get his powers back. They make it a QTE to mash O to push your daughter away as she clings to you and begs you not to go.

Then you gently caress up Heaven as she watches in horror.
:smith:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

poonchasta posted:

EDIT: Imagine driving to a clothing store in game and shopping for scorpion jackets and different stuntman masks.

So, San Andreas. :smug:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Journal in FFXIV updates with each stage of any quest with a little description/summary, usually snide.

"Unfamiliar with the face of Eorzea's savior, the Brass Blades attempt to rearrange your heroic features with predictable results. Having demonstrated your primal-shaming capacity for violence, inquire of the remaining Blade if he is now willing to cooperate."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's not a thing "in" a game, but when I preordered Infamous 2, I got a courier backpack like Cole's, and it's been a drat fine backpack. I've used it for four years now and it's not wearing out or anything.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'd like to play a game where you work for The Empire or morally grey organization and you don't wind up getting betrayed by your bosses and joining the Noble Resistance/taking over for yourself.

It doesn't have to be a game where you're evil, exactly - the Grey Warden in Dragon Age 1 kinda counts, since your job is to fight the Archdemon by any means necessary and the game/the Warden hierarchy never shouts at you KARMA LOST BAD ENDING, but you're also pretty much on your own the whole time.

Mr House's path in New Vegas is the only one I can think of at the moment like what I'm talking about.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

When did Dragon Age Origins have a trans* joke character? I don't remember that at all.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh man RDRs gun stuff.
The way they implemented recoil, the smoke cloud, the reloads, the dead eye system, the progressive gun upgrades, and most of all the sound.

All of those things I love in RDR.

My favorite gun in that game is the semi auto shotgun. Its the proper street sweeping poo poo kicker that its supposed to be in comparison to the lever and pump actions.

It's not exactly a "little thing" because it's part of the game's overarching theme, but I still love how you start off with the classic Old West Colt Revolver and slowly upgrade until you're using the brand-spanking new 1911 semiauto pistol to shoot people in duels at high noon.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The lack of other good superhero games is starting to bug me. The Batman in the Arkham games is kinda really uninteresting.

Infamous 1 and 2 own. I like them more than Arkham City, even.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Does smoking do anything in The Saboteur? There was a button dedicated to it, but as far as I could tell it just meant you smoked nonchalantly and had no effect?

It's for after you set an explosive.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Flamethrowers are interesting. Any sentient species using flamethrowers probably shouldn't be messed with.

Civilization V

Byzantium having her flamethrower ships.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Fallout 4 also does this, which is cool.

Dragon Age Origins does too. It's great.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"So, uh..I dunno if you know this, but it's against the rules to kill the crier. Just letting you know."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lego Jurassic World, like the other Lego games, has basically every single character from its franchise unlockable. Unlike the others, there's no hub that you select missions from, so in addition to buying characters from a menu, you can also find them on the islands during free-roam, usually where they got killed - the lawyer is in the bathroom near the T. rex paddock, Nedry is in his car down in a muddy wrong-way turn, the family of the little girl who got attacked by Compys at the start of Lost World is on Isla Sorna's dock, and the parasailer in JP3 is stuck up a tree until you cut him down (fortunately not skeletonized).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition is a fairly obscure byzantine historical strategy game

Other side of the world, actually.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The worst problem with Arkham Origins is the costume code doesn't work so you can't switch to Adam West without beating the story.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 2 was that post-apocalyptic episode of Family Guy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

One time I had a gay elf romp in Dragon Age and it was kinda cool that that was even an option but romance side quests are so dumb.

I like it for the roleplaying aspect, but could do without the awkward pg-13 sex scenes.

ImpAtom posted:

She's also a Cerberus spy who was reporting on you IIRC.

Report 24-97B

Subject sleeps with his assistants. Not cool, man.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

In Dragonball Xenoverse everything revolving around Beerus is hilarious. In the first fight with him, over spilled pudding no less, Trunks laments that "GOD This fight started for the STUPIDEST POSSIBLE REASON!" as the fight progresses, then the villain tries to take over Beerus and make him blow up the world despite him promising not to if the fight was interesting. Beerus then throws the shot he's charging to his right, towards the primary villain and just scolds him with "DID YOU REALLY THINK THAT YOU COULD CONTROL THE GOD OF DESTRUCTION!" and you then team up with him to kick his rear end.

Then you get back to the nexus, where Beerus promises to kill the villain himself for that infraction, and when the Kai of Time warns him that that would destroy the entire nexus he responds with "I know. I'm the God of Destruction. Geez!" and then he makes a wager. If you beat him and his assistant, he will let you take centre stage and kill the villain. After the fight, he gets bored and decides to go home for a quick nap, commenting that "If the guy happens to be killed while I sleep, well, that will be a shame, but inevitable I suppose.." buying them some time, and his assistant clarifies that Beerus sleeps for 50 years at a time, so they're basically good.

Just a hilarious character.

Beerus is the only good thing to come out of this godawful Dragonball revival.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

In some games, you can even get cuckolded by the pontiff.

Of course, there are ways to get even.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The only problem with Southern Boss is she says "Roll tide!" and not "Who dat?"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The actual gameplay mechanics are super shallow. The world itself is largely empty and has very little to do that isn't just driving around. It has impressive size and detail but is largely skin-deep as there's no meaningful way to interact with most of it. It's massive but that size actually works against it because the interesting things to do in the world are spread out extremely thinly. It's polished as hell and a very impressive achievement but it's got little to do in-world if you're not interested in just driving around causing things to explode. (And if you're looking to cause things to explode a lot of the competition is less polished but offers more options.)

Like genuinely, aside from its size, GTAV is less impressive from a design standpoint than San Andreas which is brimming with all sorts of weird poo poo and fun breaks from the gameplay in addition to being a stunning experience on the PS2.

Edit: In related to my favorite little thing in SA: The Jetpack. It's a goofy item you get from the Area-51-alike sidequest but once you get it you have the ability to just fly around at will. It's an incredibly feeling thing for a franchise which tends to limit your upward mobility to helicopters or planes.

Also, San Andreas is fun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Carmageddon using filthy cheat codes as a way of keeping magazines from printing them was really great.

BETYOUCANTPRINTCUNT

If you type in curse words on the cheat screen of the PS1 Spider-Man game, Spidey pops up and punches the word, changing it to something polite like "flowers".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

In Fallout New Vegas with all DLC content you could stack a bunch of perks on top of Silent Running and crouch-run your way across the Mojave at vaguely comical speeds, to the point that you'd leave any companions you took with you several minutes behind.

The "Keep On Truckin'" build.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I remember in Fallout 4 finding a merchant who was holed up in her little shack with a bunch of cats which seemed like the cutest thing ever until I looked at her inventory and found "cat meat" on there.

Then a little while later I went back to the Abernathy Farm and found out that you could actually kill the cats in the game because the Abernathy cat had died in a previous shoot out there and NO I DON'T WANT TO COLLECT CAT MEAT FROM THE CORPSE YOU BASTARD GAME.

There's a mod to make cats essential, right? :ohdear:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

San Andreas is the best GTA imo, but even so, that game was pretty much all about CJ getting dicked around by other people until the very end.

Ehh, there is some of that, but for every mission CJ gets dicked around on, there's another he's cool with, and still another he outright initiates. And he at least seems to be having fun on some of them, unlike Niko or Marston.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

During the God of War series, Kratos often winds up taking the place of the myth heroes; killing the Hydra, recovering the Golden Fleece, 'freeing' Prometheus, etc.

So in 3, Hercules shows up angry that you've been stealing his fame and declares he's gonna smash your face in for it.