Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Gunpoint: At the end of the game you can admit that you probably killed more people than you were trying to avenge, and you get Acknowledged Ludonarrative Dissonance : "Notice the story doesn’t necessarily gel with the mechanics. Become qualified games journalist."

Also Gunpoint: "Title Finally Relevant - Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver."

And there's one called "Alright, Have One! Just Stop!" In the game you can punch an enemy once to knock them out or twice to kill them, but you can just keep punching them after that as many times as you like. The game reacts with a series of messages that get increasingly horrified as you keep going, one of which tells you that there's not even an achievement for doing this and another, a short while later, that "relents" and gives you an achievement in a final attempt to get you to stop.

It's a very good and funny game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Saints Row 2 is free with XBox live. There's a car that's a burger, fries, and a shake. If you drive it while holding pepper spray, the straw on the shake spews pepper spray.
:aaa:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Speaking of Saints Row, that series minus the first one is honestly really good in general.

Saints Row 2 stands out as easily the best GTA clone. It's ridiculous and over the top in all the right ways to be amazing.

Saints Row 3 is really good as well, but honestly suffers from having the absolute best set of opening missions of any game I've ever played. They're so good that, despite the introduction of some great characters, the rest of the game feels a little bit flat in comparison until the incredible end game missions.

Saints Row 4 is even more ridiculous than the previous games, and stands out to me as one of the most fun super hero games I've played. You really get a sense of how powerful you become towards the end game when you're ripping your way through entire hordes of enemies by the end game with the greatest of ease. Though, the super powered enemies were a little annoying to fight.

Gat out of Hell is interesting, but aside from the first game I think it's the weakest of the games. It's really just an expansion pack, and while they're are some good weapons that they added to the game there's not really a story tying it all together. It's more of a collection of side activities

People used to always make fun of the poop truck missions, and those are still ridiculous, but the games are honestly really fun and just ooze personality. I really enjoy the one-upsmanship in each game as well as the Saints get bigger and bigger. They're also really fun in co-op

GOoH is the best one. Yeah, it's short, but it was also way cheaper than the others :shrug:. The side activities are the best bits anyway. I will say though, the price of unlocking stuff is stupidly high. You can finish everything in the game and still not even come close to accessing everything.

SR2 is the best one, except that it's barely functional and extremely dated. But if you can get past those issues it's still super fun and has the best story and characters.

SR4 is really funny and great to play once. After that, you've seen all the set pieces and heard all the jokes and the flaws stand out a lot more. The radio gets super repetitive, the wardens get in the way of the fun, there are some really tedious missions to get through and the powers and weapons just aren't that great once the novelty wears off.

SR3 improves a lot of the gameplay from 2, but the story and tone are all over the place and there are some really awful characters (eg. Zimos :barf:) and plot points. It also has the same issue as 4 where the jokes and set pieces are a chore to sit through the second time around. And it's sort of a weird halfway between 2 and 4 thing where it's not really sure what kind of game it's even trying to be. It's the only game in the series (other than the first, which I've never played) that I just wouldn't recommend at all.

The original Saints Row you can watch on YouTube and then you'll get the callbacks and references in SR4.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

2 has worked fine for like years at this point.

If you mean that it runs at the correct speed now, yeah. It's still got plenty of issues (including the always frustrating menu controls that can't be changed and the very weird car handling) and is going to feel extremely awkward to play for anyone who's used to more modern games. I wouldn't say it's unplayable - I played it quite recently - but it's definitely going to be a hard sell for anyone who didn't play it back when its competition wasn't as strong.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I wouldn't call that "barely functional" either, is the thing.

Sure, that was an exaggeration. But it's kind of like how a game that still works exactly the same as it did 30 years ago may be essentially unplayable now because people took the concept and improved on it to the point that the original now feels like it's broken. Except in this case it actually always was broken, but it was easier to overlook that back then.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

Not quite the same, but Final Fantasy XIV usually gives you a warning before a really long string of cutscenes.

"Several long cutscenes will play in sequence, please set aside enough time before proceeding"

It's serious too, the first time that comes up it's about 45 minutes of unbroken cutscenes.
I've always wondered, whenever I saw one of those "don't turn your computer off while this symbol is on-screen" messages, what would cause a person to lose all reason and suddenly switch their computer off. A 45-minute cutscene would probably do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I recently replayed the original Doom (and Doom II) and at one point had a brief moment of panic as I stepped off a ledge and began falling way further than expected, before suddenly remembering that there's no fall damage.