Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There are waaaay too few games nowadays that go after the same slow, deliberate worldbuilding-based puzzle solving that the Myst series did and I'm surprised that after this long nobody's put out a series trying to emulate it. Riven's still one of my all-time favorite games and it kills me that I can't play more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish they'd port this to PC. I play my 360 less and less nowadays, slowly transitioning over to Steam and goddamn if this isn't the top console exclusive for me.

The codebase is apparently really badly held together and fragmented to the point where a port of the game would require as much effort as programming an entirely new game, so it's pretty much out the window. Though, with the new consoles, I could see them finally putting in the effort. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Haruharuharuko posted:

The reload animation for the rocket launcher in Battlefield Hardline
http://zippy.gfycat.com/RespectfulHilariousAfricancivet.webm

Aren't there a bunch of rare reload animations like that? I saw one gif where a third hand gives you a new clipazine and another where you use the force to put it in your gun.

edit: apparently BF4 had them too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXc6nKFdReQ

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Feb 5, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Deadly Premonition is a game that's full of really great little details, it's a hell of a thing. I wish playing it was a bit better, but it's definitely tolerable enough to get a lot out of the game.

The best way to experience it is probably SGF'S LP of it: https://archive.org/details/LP_Deadly_Premonition

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In battlefield hardline there are alternate reload animations that will rarely play. They are incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHpyOgCkfAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIqQW5WZV4

I really like how the guy in the second one turns around to try to find the guy that handed him the ammo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
My favorite little thing about games is how even with multiple dedicated threads to hating on games, the one dedicated to neat things people like ends up getting derailed by more dumb arguments

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

Every time I make a post like that and don't include that I am also gay people respond with "SO YOU HATE GAY PEOPLE IN VIDEO GAMES I SEE HOW IT IS YOU GROSS BIGOT" because they're loving retards who don't use their brains, so it was a necessary inclusion

You probably shouldn't post like you're morally against anything like that being in games then

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tiggum posted:

He didn't though?

If you take out the thirty times he said he was gay it's a lot of "games never do this right and should never do it because it's always awful and nobody cares if it's in a game and it's always for brownie points" etc etc etc. Flipping out about it existing is a good way for people to mistake you for someone who flips out about it existing, shockingly

Signed, a gay dude who likes seeing representation in videogames

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

You're an idiot.

edit: You're an idiot who can't read context.

Dude apparently people have blown up at you multiple times for the same thing where you felt you had to preload your excuse into your argument, maybe you should focus instead more on why people blow up at your argument. Makes sense to me!

Anyway, to bring it back onto the subject of the thread, I'm always a fan of when LGBT stuff is treated well in games, and I felt that The Last of Us did this really well. Bill was a good character and I felt that the introduction of Frank was a decently subtle way to introduce it (even though it centered around Frank being dead which happens way too often) -- but the part I really liked was in the DLC, where not only did they do a fantastic bit of storytelling with Ellie and Riley getting close and forming a relationship but it's probably the first time I've played an AAA game with a main, playable character that is gay and is treated well. It's still really few and far between when that happens, and I have hope more comes around in the future.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Sezza posted:

Fwiw, here is an article about the character in question and the process of writing him. I think it all sounds pretty reasonable.

Yeah, I've read this article before and it's a really good one. I'd recommend people read it!

Tiggum posted:

I read it as "When a character is made explicitly gay for no reason other than to show how progressive the writer is and it's not actually relevant to the plot or character development, it comes across as pandering, and I hate that." And I agree entirely with that. If you're writing a story and decide that it's dumb to pretend gay people don't exist so you make some of the characters gay, that's fine, commendable even. If you then have those characters go "HEY LOOK EVERYONE, I'M GAY AND THAT'S TOTALLY FINE!" then you're being obnoxious and should cut it out.

I was reading a lot of "it never occurs in games unless it's for showing off how progressive the writer is" between calling it "pandering" and talking about all the straight people applauding for it. It's a really cynical way to look at it and kind of patently false given what I knew of the development of the character in question + just in general following development of a lot of games.

flatluigi has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Mar 1, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd imagine that a millennia-long pair of factions might have times where some people in the faction weren't unambiguously good or evil, but that's just me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Deadly Premonition is a great game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

She just cut that other woman's feet off at the ankles

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, someone gave Fallout 4 a two out of five? I thought it'd get at least three stars just for not being Bad Rats or Big Rigs or some other game with the initials BR that's really terrible.

There isn't a single review on metacritic for any platform under 3/5.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Slime posted:

Professional reviews are basically worthless. Odds are that the vast majority of them were bought off, either with money or threats of not giving them review copies and poo poo in the future.

Your tinfoil hat is on a bit tight there dude

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For all the faults that series has had over the years, the interesting NPCs are definitely not one of them. There's a random line you get in AC2 when you're parkouring around the rooftops where a guy remarks "He must be late - and she must be beautiful" and it's probably my favorite piece of random chatter ever

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Plus, webms load a lot faster and look a lot smoother than gifs. It's just a good thing to do all around now, no need to get defensive.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm pretty sure the D3 stuff is completely unrelated to Last of Us other than being zombies. Especially since it came out a year before that game.

Also Last of Us' ending is fine, it's just one of many pieces of media where the protagonist is a lovely person or makes awful decisions and people make the mistake of assuming they have to agree with everything the protag does just because they partially identify with them. Like Breaking Bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Does it really? That's weird.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If your game has a ton of collectibles, there absolutely should be an unlockable way to put the ones you're missing on your map at some point. I've been too spoiled by it in the games that include it!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Here's some clips from the Superhot thread:

https://killstagram.com/s/HelplessAdmirableMantisLeafhopper
https://killstagram.com/s/OrderlyGorgeousOchreMastodon
https://killstagram.com/s/HighlevelInsidiousXanaduElephant

(I don't know how to switch from the videos to MP4s to embed them)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It definitely used to just have mp4s/webms on the page you could grab, I wonder if they changed it for bandwidth reasons or something

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cleretic posted:

And the voice acting for it is all low-bitrate short lines, delivered shittily. That was, according to the devs, a fun day in the recording studio.

"Okay, say that again, but worse please."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, that's funnier than I expected it to be.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If only The Walking Dead let Clementine make fart jokes it would've been a much more successful game, really.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Digirat posted:

I've yet to find a game that didn't work better in borderless windowed than it did in fullscreen. I'm not sure why borderless windowed isn't the default more often.

You can run into microstuttering and other performance issues with windowed modes compared to fullscreen quite often, unfortunately.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FredMSloniker posted:

At least one of the Harvest Moon games did something almost identical, except you saved when you slept. What made it almost identical is that, after saving, it would immediately start the next day.

That's what Stardew does.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Spoiler tags hurt nobody so there's no reason to not just always err on the side of being careful, imo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

poptart_fairy posted:

I hope the use of a barely legal lesbian teen running off with her much older, socially irresponsible adult girlfriend is deliberate in this context.

They're the same age and were in school together iirc

edit: yeah Lonnie was in the JROTC which is specifically for people under 18

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TomViolence posted:

For those of you who are wondering, I was making a reference to Olaf the Stout's post with my terrible thread title joke. A joke that literally nobody got, because they rightly decided not to pay any mind to the slapfight I was referring to. Ho hum. Doing humour on this comedy forum is hard sometimes.

IDK, this post is pretty hilarious so you're doing something right

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Pretty sure that isn't in Bully either.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, but I still don't understand that subplot.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm pretty sure she's never been a game dev on anything so idk what you're ironicating about

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
She voices a lot of things these days which is cool as someone who used to watch HAWP pretty often. I had no idea she played Chloe in Life is Strange until I was looking up things after the fact. Ms Pauling in TF2, too!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
In one of the single-player adventures in Hearthstone there's a thief boss whose gimmick the first time you fight him is that he steals the deck you built to fight against him and uses it against you (and you have a middling deck provided for you instead). This is pretty unique, and obviously leads to you building as lovely of a deck as you can for him to play so you can win. He has just two special quotes for the fight:

- if you bring an all-golden deck (think foils/holographic cards in physical decks, basically a cosmetic upgrade that requires a lot of time/money), he's really surprised and says your collection rivals his own
- but if you put a magma rager in, he heckles you for doing so.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They actually said "read up on" which is an idiom generally meaning "get informed on" but you go on and try to score them discourse points buddy

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Alteisen is one of those people who legit rages against The SJW Scourge so pay negative attention to their posts imo

For content: I've been playing Overwatch and one of a ton of things I like about it is that it has separate options for joining voice chat/group chat/team chat so I can set it to auto-mute team chat and auto-join group chat so I can just bullshit with the friends I'm playing with without having to fiddle with everything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CJacobs posted:

Overwatch also has a built-in thing where enemy-made sounds (footsteps, vocalizations, picking up health kits etc) are louder than your teammates' which is cool.

Possibly the most debilitating part of getting hacked by Sombra is that she muffles your audio and turns off all directionality until it ends

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
BioEnchanted we're all very worried about you and we hope you start playing actually decent games everyone's heard of sometime in 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i genuinely don't understand how people can derive enjoyment from games that combine the UI simplicity of the International Space Station with the graphical prowess of the playstation 2

90% of that UI is addons that the player installed to get more information more readily at the cost of clutter