Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Less subtly, you go looking for her in Room 404.

You also later meet up with her in room 802-11. In the commentary the developers talk about how all the dumb IP address jokes make Eliza's super obvious twist even more obvious and how they had to fight to keep them because they figured if you were computer literate enough to get the jokes then you had already figured out the twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

And the token future Final Fantasy poster.

I love in the commentary for the game when they talk about how much bullshit they had to go through to get Square-Enix to sign off on that one little gag.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

My immersion was ruined because it should have said "AOL Time Warner EA Square Enix Ebay Wells Fargo"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Not overly surprised gamers freaked out over literally nothing.

Technically Microsoft never officially announced they were shutting down the service, but behind-the-scenes documents leaked and a bunch of developers made announcements and patched their games. Obviously at one point they were going to, but much like the Xbone's always-online and Kinect-enabled requirements, they recanted in the face of public backlash.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dogan posted:

Deus Ex has a lot of little things that make it great, but the one that always stuck with me is how much the game allows you to get to know the characters personally. Not just the main ones, but all the little background soldiers and stuff. Pilots and boat drivers have names and personalities, you get to see soldiers during their time off, hanging around in their office, getting patched up in the medical bay, etc. One this that really encapsulates this whole feature is the simple receptionist soldier at your HQ. At first he's labeled as "UNATCO soldier" and he makes some semi-awkward small talk. As you keep coming and going between missions he'll start up small conversations as you pass by. Once you feel like you're getting to know him more his label subtly changes to "Private Lloyd" (or whatever his real name is, I can't remember).

Really subtle, but once I noticed what was happening I just sat there stunned for a moment.

I loved how Vampire: The Masquerades: Bloodlines did the same thing with Officer Chunk in the lobby of the Camarilla tower, where you get to know him over the course of several missions and he even develops a crush on you if you're a girl. Which makes having to kill him when you turn on LaCroix at the end of the game that much more sweet :unsmigghh:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you want to keep your love of the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack intact then whatever you do DON'T listen to the live versions of the songs from the release party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8hDSXdJoAQ

:pwn:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCWQcZYKo

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Stuff like that is unsettling when you're so used to being yelled at in English, alien languages or beastly growls. I just started replaying Hitman: Contracts and even though I know it has stages in Rotterdam, the Dutch bikers still caught me off-guard (again).

It's pretty funny how they used someone with an accent originating from the Antilles for the big, burly, white guards though.

IIRC the Hitman devs went out of their way to hire voice actors who were actual native speakers of the languages in each level of the games.

e. At least for the levels in Europe since the developers are Danish. The opening level to Blood Money was in America had some hilariously bad accents on the gang members.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Jul 11, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alouicious posted:

you mean the mission with the really hamfisted "THE GETH ARE SWEET INNOCENT BABY CHILDREN, THE QUARIANS ARE DUMB RACIST GENOCIDAL IDIOTS" stuff?

People really like it when sequels intentionally deconstruct stuff from the previous games so long as it's a sequel by Obsidian. Otherwise they complain that it isn't internally consistent and is hamfisted and came out of nowhere.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

From some of the early interviews, Legion was meant to be stalking Shepard for a good while before you meet him. Like he was carrying out his mission, but as he became more individual he latched into it as the only identity he had. But then console memory limits imposed a stricter recruitment mission order, so they wrote him into the end of the game instead.

I've been hearing the console memory thing for years but I have never once seen an actual source for it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing your feet is one of those things that is cool in theory but in practice is a lot of unnecessary extra work for something that will always be clunky and awkward due to the necessary abstraction between using a KB+M/controller and actually controlling a head and body.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LoonShia posted:

Something I just figured out about New Vegas: they did something cool with the "post-nuclear" theme.

The NCR and Legion are fighting over power. But not some giant reactor or power plant, but two sources of renewable energy; Hoover Dam and HELIOS ONE.

I dunno, just thought it was cool.

The developers' theme for New Vegas was "the new world rebuilding itself in the image of the old world" so that was definitely deliberate.

Josh Sawyer still posts in the New vegas thread sometimes, if you're a fan of New Vegas it's totally worth reading his posts to see some of the team's goals while they were making the game and where they think they fell short or totally nailed it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

triplexpac posted:

Wow I completely missed ALL of that, I barely bothered to use homies

Homies are really useful, too. At least early on in the game before you get all the superpowers and become effectively invincible.

haveblue posted:

It was one of the high points of SR4 when you walk around a nondescript corner in the middle of a mission and there's Roddy Piper for no reason and a few moments later he's in your party because why the hell not.

That whole mission was one giant homage to They Live, especially the infamous "sunglasses fight" and the ending which also has Roddy Piper and Keith David fighting through a television station and blowing up a satellite dish in an effort to combat evil alien overlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NLNHdp2Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns

StandardVC10 posted:

Metro Last Light gives you the Developer Map, which basically just lets you dick around in ways that you couldn't during typical play. Want to try every weapon in the game? Here's a firing range. Want to check out the gross monsters in detail? Here's a gallery full of them. Eager to relive the glory days of monster infighting? There's an arena where you can set up brawls (this is a little disappointing though because the selection is limited.)

I can see why it died out in an age of higher QA standards, DLC missions made almost entirely of discarded assets, and art books that costs more than the games themselves, but I love when games let you see the unused and unfinished stuff that didn't make it into the game. Getting to explore the "museums" in God of War, Ratchet and Clank, and The Matrix: Path of Neo was really cool.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Leper Residue posted:

The solution to this is to just make it so all cars can drive up buildings and fly.

The transforming vehicle gimmick of Crackdown was rad enough, a Saints Row take on it would probably be incredible.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I love Saint's Row I'd rather Volition followed their hearts and made a new game but applied the lessons they learned making Saint's Row to it, rather than making endless biannual open-world games because :regd08:.

Can you imagine what it would be like if Volition returned to their roots and made a space combat game or an RPG but kept the "fun > everything" attitude of Saint's Row? Or what the player character and story would be like if they satirized their respective genre as well as Saint's Row did with The Boss being a complete murderous sociopath to make fun of the dissonant "I don't wanna be a criminal :cry: -kills a million cops and then blows up the Hoover Dam-" storytelling of the GTA games?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Do you know what I really like in games? I really like looking through dead peoples' houses and taking their dead-people stuff.

For this reason, The Last of Us has lately been a fountain of delight. I've got a whole suburb to scavenge with no loading screens, somebody pinch me

Even though it was annoying on subsequent playthroughs, the vehicle segments of Half-Life 2 ruled on the first playthrough for this exact reason.

"Ooh, another abandoned house! Ooh, another abandoned house! Ooh, another abandoned house!"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The sound guy for Tomb Raider really earned his paycheck. The death scenes that were so loved/hated are less graphic than, say, Resident Evil 4 (there's no actual dismemberment or damage to the character model and it's usually obscured behind a camera filter or jerky camera movements) but the meaty thumps and squishes make it so visceral.

Captain Lavender posted:

My sim in Sims 3 befriended the person that was burglarizing him.

"Sims can no longer "Try for Baby" with the Grim Reaper."

-Actual patch note for The Sims 3

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Seanbaby is basically Maddox if Maddox was actually funny, a martial artist, and didn't look like a cancer patient.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Tiny little thing in games in The Last of Us that I just noticed on my most recent playthrough. In the section where you're playing as Ellie, there's a moment during the segment where she and David are defending themselves in a house where she gets QTE grabbed. The zombie goes for her shoulder but David shoots it off before it can bite her, and when control returns to the player Ellie rubs her neck where it was about to bite her. It's such a tiny and inconsequential animation that someone must have thought of putting it in there on purpose.

Speaking of rad tiny inconsequential animations:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Shadow of Mordor is basically a game that takes eveything the gaming industry learned about third-person open-world stealth-action-adventure games over the last console generation and uses polish and next-gen tech to combine it all into an amazing package that takes it to the next level. It's like what Resident Evil 4 did for the Resident Evil franchise only applied to an entire genre, it's fantastic.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Edward_Lapine posted:

After seeing many references for it and having a friend of mine recommend it, I picked up and started Persona 3 FES. I've played many video games that are from Japanese developers that have a setting in Japan but when the localization team gets ahold of it to translate it into an American/English friendly game a lot of settings, locations, and even cultures/customs get changed to relate more to an American audience. The Phoenix Wright series is a big offender of this and it makes it just seem off.

Not Persona 3, this game is Japanese and anime as all hell. Obviously the game is English translated but a lot of the naming mannerisms, currency, culture, and environments seem quite Japan. I'm not too into anime/otaku (says the SA account user), but I really appreciate this detail because it helps with :qq: MY IMMERSION :qq:

:japan:

The Phoenix Wright localization was pretty silly, but it was especially bad in the third game when a case features a kimono embroiderer who hangs out a maid cafe all day yet they still pretend it takes place in America.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

I'll always remember that guy from his catchy marching theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEvJZb0SWs

Besides, "War Song" is totally an American name. :v:

Justice for All's OST was kind of weak but Trials and Tribulations was a real return to form. I love Furio Tigre's theme, that whole character was goofy as poo poo and awesome for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD0p7Ma0_kQ

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
From October to January this thread pretty much becomes Spoil Every Memorable Moment And Gameplay Mechanic of Year's Biggest Games The Week They Come Out: The Thread. Giving that the alternative is Eggplant Wizard rule-mongering it's definitely the lesser of two evils and you just have to :dealwithit:

My newest favorite little thing about Dark Souls: they're porting the original to Steamworks and letting you migrate all your saves and achievements.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

It is indeed the new goon Flavor of the Week.

It's been three weeks since the last time you said this.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Leper Residue posted:

This is crazy the game has been out since forever, it sells for like a dollar, and they keep updating it with poo poo. Talk about dedication.

I figured that last year's free 1.2 update was them thumbing their nose at Starbound since it was made by a former Terraria dev and the update came out right around Starbound's launch, but them continuing to tinker with it and release free updates is pretty cool. It's great because Terraria came out before Steam starting doing Early Access yet has had better support than just about any actual Early Access title.

...of SCIENCE! has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Oct 24, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chinaman7000 posted:

I was kinda interested in trying it out with PS+ and now I don't want to anymore.

It has some great core gameplay and Rebirth fixes the abysmal performance and control issues of the original game, but in terms of graphics and subject matter it's still very much an Edmund "Newgrounds.com" "made a game that was literally just a dick killing a vagina monster" McMillen product. If you can stomach all the poop, pee, dead babies, and edginess it's there's a great game underneath.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

A static picture with the Mute City song remixed (again)? That kind of pulled my back from the edge.

Now that Nintendo has figured out that they can get somebody else to make a game for them and then slap a coat of Nintendo paint on it and rack in the nostalgia bucks Dynasty Warriors Only This Time You're Link And Uh The Buttrock Is Now Zelda Songs I Guess is only going to be the beginning.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I played my Bigby as being very kind and understanding as possible but you better believe I glassed Woody. Then I felt bad for him because although he's an rear end in a top hat he's not in actuality a bad person. Sorry, Woody. :smith:

That does remind me of something annoying about interactive narratives like Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead. My Bigby went out of his way to help as many people as he could, but that was never even acknowledged in the game after any particular scene ends. Everyone still acts as if you're a huge rear end in a top hat all the time. I know they can't account for every possible combination of responses but having a running tally of how many "nice" or "mean" responses you've made and changing a half dozen lines or so to reflect that isn't a monumental task.

Wait, so you're telling me that not only is The Big Bad Wolf named "Bigby Wolf" but they named the woodsman "Woody"? :ughh:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who hasn't played a Halo since 3 I like 343 Studios because watching them torpedo the Halo franchise with a single game, to the point where releasing a collection of other people's work with their name slapped on it and a $60 price tag is the highlight of both their and the Xbone's year, has brought me more entertainment than any of the actual Halo games that have come out since.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Exit Strategy posted:

I think I misspoke. The linearity of the game isn't bad - its storyline proceeds across a single set of events, which is fine, and there's no gameplay variation, which is also fine. The issue I have with Singularity is how limited the TMD's applications are. You can use it as a method for manipulating the age of your enemies in a very limited way or altering a very few things in the environment.

The developers agree with you, they were hamstrung by console limitations and budget to the point where they had to pretty much scrap and rebuild the game over the span of less than a year.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought that, in an age of endless sequels and spinoffs, destroying the mass effect relays once and for all at the end was a refreshingly brave and bold choice rather than leaving the door open for more sequels.

So of course everybody complained about it and then they retconned it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Elfface posted:

Shadow complex is a great game, best Metroidvania in years.

My favourite bit is when you encounter the creepy doctor, and he starts boasting about how your hero won't be able to kill him. And half-way through that sentence, your guy shoots him and gets on with things. You've killed dozens on your way to him, after all.

No matter how many games do this it is never not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1MZIU_feIk&t=27s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mniKzD-hoM&t=797s

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The whole "neon underground" thing is basically steampunk for people who think they're too cool for steampunk.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mrkillboy posted:

Red Dead Redemption and GTA V lets you skip ahead if you fail a section of a mission three or more times I believe.

I loved how Saints Row handled it from 2 on where levels have distinct checkpoints and when you die you can immediately resume from said checkpoints without having to travel back to the mission marker and start the whole thing all over again having lost all the weapons you earned until that point.

What's even funnier is that during the development of GTA IV they were aware of complaints of having to do that bit of tedium every time you failed a mission, and their response was to keep all those systems intact but make it so that now when you replayed missions they used differtent dialogue takes so it would be slightly less mind-numbing :downsowned:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

Saint's row; I played through the beginning several times, because I wasn't happy with the character I selected. There's a part in the beginning, where your character exclaims "poo poo [...]", but when I made a character with a French voice, that line was switched to "MERDE [...]".

If you have the Nolan North voice he breaks character all the time ("That's how Nolan rolls!") and has random asides during missions like going on a tangent about being illiterate.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Elder Scrolls books also have magic spaceships and moonbases, swords so sharp that they cause nuclear explosions because their edge can split an atom, a race of catpeople where the phase of the moon you were born in determines whether you're a sentient man-cat or a giant feral cat, and the implicit acknowledgment that the universe is a game and the ability of the player character to pause it and chug a bunch of recovery potions or reload a save when they die is canon.

What I'm saying is that the Elder Scrolls owns, even if 20 years of accumulated fiction with one of the main writers being an unstable drug addict couldn't possibly be fully realized in any game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I picked up Saints Row 4 for $5 on Steam. I like how fun it tries to be. Like, no restrictions on character creation, super powers in the first few missions, etc.

But it really made its way into my heart when I was beating up a bunch of aliens, and my guy said, "Shouldn'a hosed with the president."

EDIT: I have to add, for SR4: the "love" mechanic.

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

Speaking of making fun of Bioware, I love that in the cockpit they have a literal sex doll in the seat that EDI sits in in Mass Effect 3.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

"I have enormous faith that you'll win"

I thought that Dragon Age: Origin was an awful slog of a game but I loved that they justified having to buy items before the final battle by having the last store be run by a crippling autist who can barely speak let alone comprehend why charging money for things when a battle is raging around you is a bad idea.

RagnarokAngel posted:

A lot of Van Buren ideas were interesting and a lot were totally insane so I feel like New Vegas was what happens when you have a decade to sit on these ideas and sort of the wheat from the chaff.

It might be fun to see some of the weirder stuff one day though.

The design docs for Van Buren were leaked and they even released the playable demo of the engine's alpha, The Fallout WIki has a pretty good breakdown of everything.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

I liked how they re-engineered VB Joshua Graham's concept of "a super-powerful companion that will cut off entire storylines due to backstory" into Boone. And I really liked how they brought back Graham himself as a redeemed monster of a man who isn't completely redeemed because of both his bloodthirsty nature AND the view that redemption is a process, not a goal.

The crazy thing is that even after almost a decade of planning and tinkering they were still changing stuff up to the last minute. Like how Ulysses was supposed to be a companion but they cut it at the last minute, which is why you don't have a Legion-sympathetic party member in the final game and why he's on the playing cards from the collector's edition even though his DLC wouldn't come out until a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Samfucius posted:

That's one of the best things about RE4, everyone has their own weapon setup they are absolutely sure is the best. I completely disagree with both of you, but I am sure your strategies treated you well.

The Red 9 and Blacktail have higher damage values in different versions of the game which is part of the reason why some people swear by them while other people went with a different model.

One thing I love about the HD rerelease on PC is that somebody made a trainer so after so many legitimate playthroughs over the years I can finally go hog wild with unlimited ammo/health/money and do things like use the mine thrower as a primary weapon and turn every plagas in my way into a fine red mist. :getin: