Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Rage McDougal posted:

I don't know if there's ever been anything explicit, but his description of the writing process for The 36 Lessons of Vivec was: "It was one dev, naked in a room with a carton of cigarettes, a thermos full of coffee and bourbon, and all his summoned angels."

This just sounds like the standard writing process, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

EmmyOk posted:

I got Alien: Isolation last week but only got around to starting it this evening. When you first wake up from Cryosleep you're told to go find clothes. If you speak to Samuels before getting dressed he'll talk normally but at the end tell you to put clothes on before your meeting. Very like JC Denton in the Women's bathroom!

Alien: Isolation is *made* from little poo poo that is expressly designed to interlock in a perfect pattern of making the player extremely happy at being deeply unhappy.

Everything from hiding under a countertop listening to a bunch of people bullshit about how horrible their day has been while they actively hunt for you to having a moment of silence for the man who granted unto you the gift of fire by not drinking those last eight ounces of whiskey before shooting himself. It's all good, right down to the aesthetic.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

10 Beers posted:

One of my favorite things about Dragon Age:Inquisition is it gives you the option to hide your character's helmet. It's nice that I can actually look at the character I created.

Should be mandatory on any game with character creation. I wanna see my Barack Obama frown at people!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

One of my favorite things about Dragon Age:Inquisition is it gives you the option to hide your character's helmet. It's nice that I can actually look at the character I created.

I believe it also autohides in conversations (or at least that was an option in one of the previous games.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does, but only in the ones that are their own little scene.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

Anyway, I did like how some games had different dialog for already completing a quest's objective before starting it. "I need you to find this thing for me." "Actually, I already found it." "You did? Huh, good job." It's a great thing, and sometimes I like to see how many quests I can complete before activating them.

Deus Ex had a great version of this.

"Ok, I'll help you, but only if you kill my boss."
"Already did."
"...what? Why?"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Convex posted:

"Already did."
"...what? Why?"

Haha what? Where does this happen?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

"Already did."
"...what? Why?"

The best one was in Mass Effect 1. You can delay the Liara rescue mission, which is supposed to be one of the first things you do, and play it as the second to last mission in the game. At which point when you finally rescue her a) she's practically delirious from spending days trapped in the forcefield and b) she has a bit of a breakdown when debriefed because figuring out the Protheans was supposed to be her life's work and you did exactly that while running around the galaxy not rescuing her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Happens at the very start of Fallout: New Vegas, too. The starting town is about to be raided by Powder Gangers (prison convicts with dynamite), and you find this out by walking in on a conversation with the roaming gang's leader and the lady that runs the saloon in town. He's basically talking about how he and his friends are gonna burn the town to the ground if they don't give up the guy that the gang is looking for. You can murder the poo poo out of him right there and the response you get from the lady at the bar is "Thanks, but I hope you didn't do that for fun :stare:"

Then you can go up the hill to where the guy they're looking for is hiding and your opening line to him is "A guy named Joe Cobb was looking for you, but I killed him. :geno:" and he reacts the same way. :allears:

Starhawk64 posted:

Anyway, I did like how some games had different dialog for already completing a quest's objective before starting it. "I need you to find this thing for me." "Actually, I already found it." "You did? Huh, good job." It's a great thing, and sometimes I like to see how many quests I can complete before activating them.

Since you can pick up sidequest objects whenever in Xenoblade because they're permanent world objects, the game is absolutely full of this kinda stuff if you bother to wander around before picking up all the quests in a new town.

"Hey, could you find my lost wedding ring for me?? I need it for wedding things."

"Yup already did here you go."

"Hey can you collect 20 bear asses for me??? I lost them."

"Yeah I picked them up on the way in."

"Help me hero my wife is about to be eaten by dickwolves!!"

"Don't worry about it I already got em."

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Dec 8, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A little thing that I found funny in Shadow of Mordor is that there's an achievement for killing all Uruk-Hai Warchiefs in an area before they get replaced. I was still in the first area and killed every one except for Ratbag due to his plot immunity. When The Hammer of Sauron killed Ratbag it counted for the achievement.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Xoidanor posted:

Haha what? Where does this happen?

First time you go to Versalife iirc. The office drone will give you a keycard to the secret labs if you kill his boss for him. Deus Ex is one of those games where just about every response is thought out so if someone gives you a task that you've already completed/is now moot, they react accordingly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Out of curiosity, what does the thread title refer to, shooting guys in the junk in Goldeneye/Soldier of Fortune/Fallout?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Out of curiosity, what does the thread title refer to, shooting guys in the junk in Goldeneye/Soldier of Fortune/Fallout?

Metal Gear actually.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641127&pagenumber=31&perpage=40#post435608147

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Speaking of Metal Gear, I've finally gotten a PS4 and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. The fact that you can listen to cassette tapes during gameplay is a really welcome change from listening to them outside of gameplay (Peace Walker) or having gameplay grind to a halt (every other MGS).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Its actually after a goon complaining about pain done to the male genitalia was unfunny

This post to be exact

EDIT: Just realized I was already beaten on this. Whoops!

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:15 on Dec 9, 2014

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Huh, and here I thought it was referring to Crusader Kings. Anyway, that's my favorite thing in CK, genital mutilation for fun and profit.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I gave the Don't Starve Together beta a whirl tonight and it's pretty boss. I was able to host my own server, something I've never even tried before, with zero effort and it filled up immediately. I wish I'd set more berry bushes because it was kind of a series of torturous deaths, but the thing I wanted to post about is what happens after you die. Instead of your game ending, you turn into a grumpy ghost (with ghost hair) that floats around and can kind of shove items in a half-assed way, and players can revive you with a fairly easy to craft new item. It's fun haunting some nerd while they struggle mightily to bring me back the the realm of Weedlandia.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Found this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/BxRiE

Basically in World of Warcraft, apparently when you get drunk every enemy's level drops, or at least it appears to. So when you're drunk, you think you can take on more than you actually can. Which I thought was a nice little touch of detail, even though I don't play the game.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Morpheus posted:

Basically in World of Warcraft, apparently when you get drunk every enemy's level drops, or at least it appears to.

Way back in 1982, in the Hobbit adventure game, you could also get drunk; the only effect was that the game replaced all 's' characters with 'sh', so that Thorin would shtart shinging about gold.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Morpheus posted:

Found this:

http://imgur.com/gallery/BxRiE

Basically in World of Warcraft, apparently when you get drunk every enemy's level drops, or at least it appears to. So when you're drunk, you think you can take on more than you actually can. Which I thought was a nice little touch of detail, even though I don't play the game.

And unless you turn it off, your vision goes super blurry and swimming all around. It will also make you run/swim/ride all wobbly, which can get interesting in a big raid if you "accidently" fall off a ledge. "Shorry guysh, I'm drunk *hic*" :v:

I think later on they added a barf animation if you drank too much. Also a mana potion that's a cup of coffee that sobers you up. Really quite a big mechanic!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

haveblue posted:

The best one was in Mass Effect 1. You can delay the Liara rescue mission, which is supposed to be one of the first things you do, and play it as the second to last mission in the game. At which point when you finally rescue her a) she's practically delirious from spending days trapped in the forcefield and b) she has a bit of a breakdown when debriefed because figuring out the Protheans was supposed to be her life's work and you did exactly that while running around the galaxy not rescuing her.

Also she'll warn you not to confront her dangerous mother and you can say,"Oh her? Yeah I killed her AGES ago.... uhhh... sorry?"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, at one point you fight a bunch of demons that are basically the manifestations of people's fears. Their physical appearance is just that of big spiders, but if you select them, their name reads things like "Blood", "Drowning", "Mages", that sort of thing. So I'm walking around in that area and see another one of those spiders, and when I select it to see what fear it represents its name just reads: "Ironically, Spiders" :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perestroika posted:

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, at one point you fight a bunch of demons that are basically the manifestations of people's fears. Their physical appearance is just that of big spiders, but if you select them, their name reads things like "Blood", "Drowning", "Mages", that sort of thing. So I'm walking around in that area and see another one of those spiders, and when I select it to see what fear it represents its name just reads: "Ironically, Spiders" :v:

I heard one character say "they look like spiders to you?" but I didn't realize they went that far.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
So I picked up the Metro Redux bundle for the Xbone a few days back. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it but I have noticed the sheer amount of dialogue all the slum dwellers have. It feels really alive and crowded in the small areas that are actually populated. I find myself standing around eavesdropping on everybody's stupid little stories more than obliterating mutants/nazis.

Needless to say this Fallout itch is really getting scratched. :ghost:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Metro is incredibly detailed and actually really rewards you in a tangible way for moving slowly and paying attention to the details.

Lords of the Fallen has a lot of problems but the impact of its combat is awesome. There are attacks that take 3 entire seconds or longer to swing but they really feel like they merit the time if you hit something with them. Like if you smack a little demon dog thing with a huge scythe it will go flying five meters away.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Metro is incredibly detailed and actually really rewards you in a tangible way for moving slowly and paying attention to the details.

That's really cool and this is definitely my kind of game but I don't know how much of Steve Blum's terrible fake Russian accent I'll be able to stomach. It seems like he's voiced almost everyone I've met so far.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

He did the voice of Captain Krasnov, while it looks like Yuri Lowenthal (another "everyman" VA) voiced tons of the extras.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Now with proof:

:allears:

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Stelio Kontos posted:

That's really cool and this is definitely my kind of game but I don't know how much of Steve Blum's terrible fake Russian accent I'll be able to stomach. It seems like he's voiced almost everyone I've met so far.

Play it in Russian with English subtitles, моя друг.

Edit: assuming PC

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Samfucius posted:

Play it in Russian with English subtitles, моя друг.

Edit: assuming PC

Don't do this your first time. The game doesn't subtitle any of the incidental dialog, which is like 90% of the world building.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nohman posted:

Don't do this your first time. The game doesn't subtitle any of the incidental dialog, which is like 90% of the world building.

Yeah, first time I tried to play I did this and quickly restarted because I was missing all the background chatter.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Nohman posted:

Yeah wasn't really planning on it. I don't know if the console version even has that option.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nohman posted:

Learn to speak Albanian Russian? The odd thing is that the Russian dialog is actually not nearly as well acted as the English dialog. I played through the game in English, only to cringe occasionally at the pronunciations (some of the incidental dialog is voiced by Russian speakers, while some isn't, and I have absolutely no idea why you'd have a non native speaker do a song in Russian, particularly since it comes from a one-off character)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stelio Kontos posted:

So I picked up the Metro Redux bundle for the Xbone a few days back. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it but I have noticed the sheer amount of dialogue all the slum dwellers have. It feels really alive and crowded in the small areas that are actually populated. I find myself standing around eavesdropping on everybody's stupid little stories more than obliterating mutants/nazis.

Needless to say this Fallout itch is really getting scratched. :ghost:

Most of that dialogue is taken from the novel, too.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I picked up Saints Row 4 for $5 on Steam. I like how fun it tries to be. Like, no restrictions on character creation, super powers in the first few missions, etc.

But it really made its way into my heart when I was beating up a bunch of aliens, and my guy said, "Shouldn'a hosed with the president."

EDIT: I have to add, for SR4: the "love" mechanic.

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Dec 11, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Captain Lavender posted:

I have to believe that they're making fun of Bioware. When you press the button to "Romance" someone, your character says, "Hey, wanna gently caress?", and the answer is "you betcha". And then that happens

That's specifically Kinzie's "romance" scene. You rescue more people as the game goes on and they all have different ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

That's specifically Kinzie's "romance" scene. You rescue more people as the game goes on and they all have different ones.

Except Keith David. You cannot romance the vice president :(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Heavy Lobster posted:

The spheres of Oblivion that the Daedric princes rule over are other planets.

Another related TES lore thing I love was some in-game books discussing those things in the sky. I'm paraphrasing:

"Oh, those things in the sky are other realms. See, we can't really grasp entire realms like that, so our minds just view them as spheres. Oh and the little lights in the sky are where some spirits broke the sky when leaving. The sun is just a big hole that a bigger spirit left."

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Dec 11, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Captain Lavender posted:

There's also Ben King in which case it looks like it is going to lead to sex, but then turns out to be The Boss being nervous about asking him to sign a copy of his book. The disappointed look on King's face tells him he was totally ready for sex.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Captain Lavender posted:

I picked up Saints Row 4 for $5 on Steam. I like how fun it tries to be. Like, no restrictions on character creation, super powers in the first few missions, etc.

But it really made its way into my heart when I was beating up a bunch of aliens, and my guy said, "Shouldn'a hosed with the president."

I probably boned that robot like 15 times, just because it was always funny.