Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kimmalah posted:

Some of the DLC invaders will also use the wood carvings to talk to you and will do gestures to taunt you if you get killed. :v:

Pretty sure one of the invaders who killed me in the second DLC was an NPC, then it turned around and jumped off a cliff after I died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

codenameFANGIO posted:

Why do you think Arkham Knight is next gen only?!

If you can afford a custom pc with multiple high-end graphics cards the crotch definition will be unbelievable.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I have now finished Wolfenstein: The New Order and it is a very good game. One thing I liked was the way it handled an incredibly long-lasting choice early on. Even though the game's been out for a while, I'll spoiler tag it because it went on sale on Steam and sales mean new buyers: Early on in the game, you and your war buddies are captured by Deathshead, the antagonist, and are held down at gunpoint by his supersoldiers. Being the sick, twisted man he is, Deathshead tells you to choose one of your comrades to be dissected by him right in front of you. Eventually he will kill all of you, but he wants to set an example. So, you can either choose long-time war buddy Fergus, or new blood Pvt. Wyatt, and the game actually creates two separate timelines depending on what you choose to do. It doesn't change anything plot-wise, or at least, not as far as I have played, but there are a number of gameplay alterations (each character gives you a different perk, like the ability to pick locks or hack electronic number pads) and the character development goes in a different direction for both of them. What I thought was particularly well done about it was that you can replay the game from the chapter select after you've beaten it, and you can see what the chapter is like in the other timeline if you so choose.

Going to put this whole thing in spoilers I guess:

The best part about it is that there isn't really a "right" choice to make. If you save the older guy he spends all his time telling you that he was old enough to be ready for death and being depressed in his room. If you save the younger guy he spends all his time telling you that he's a useless rookie and you would have been better off saving the older guy because of his experience. Either way you go you'll end up with a depressed ally telling you that he should have been the one to die. Also I think the only functional difference between saving the two was whether or not the lock picking mini game thing took the form of safe cracking or hot wiring a thing. I don't think it actually changed what the rewards were, though I might be mistaken about that.

My favorite little thing about the game was that you could go to sleep upstairs in your home base and enter the oldschool Wolfenstein game while still maintaining your current-gen gun model and everything. I don't know if there's anything past the first level since I died on it, but it was a good easter egg.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It is if you don't contaminate the entire game world with lovely rules :argh:

My Triple Triad experience for the most part:

- Full control with 8/9 cards on board
- Opponent plays card
- PLUS SAME COMBO COMBO YOU LOSE

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Riddler yells at you for cheating if you use detective vision on his shell game puzzle in Arkham City, but as far as I could tell that was the only way to solve it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

My understanding is that not only did the main dev team outsource the PC work to another company, but the main dev team has in fact thrown said another company entirely under the bus on this matter.

They released the following statement:

quote:

Hi all

We're aware that some users are reporting performance issues with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight. This is something that Rocksteady takes very seriously. We are working closely with our external PC development partner to make sure these issues get resolved as quickly as possible.

We'll update this thread when we've got more info to share.

Thanks

CODA

Apparently they sent it out to Iron Galaxy, which was responsible for Origins being a mess as well as generally being incompetent with their other releases. As such, even people with the most powerful rigs you can build are getting abysmal performance, especially when driving the Batmobile around which tends to drop the FPS to the 10-20 range and cause enough hitching that the game is essentially unplayable. I "only" have a GTX 960 and it runs like garbage even with everything set to lowest settings, people are basically going to have to wait for a patch to play the game on PC and a whole bunch are getting refunds through Steam.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

blarzgh posted:

I'd be more than happy to start an Arkham Knight circle-jerk.

"What are you doing?"
"Evening the odds."
*press LT to even the odds*

*Evens odds*
*Framerate immediately plunges to low single digits*

Why yes, I did buy it on PC. Why do you ask?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I got in a fight the other day and after knocking the guy out I accidentally fulton extracted him without thinking. Don't know where I even got the device and have no idea where the guy went.

What do I do?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Anytime there is a flamethrower in a game you have to use it, just as a rule of thumb.

This is true everywhere except Dead Space.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

In Dead Space 2, every weapon has a special node at the end up its upgrade grid which provides a unique ability. The javelin gun is a weapon which has a primary fire which will impale a necromorph, then a secondary which will electrify the javelin that's stuck in it. I'm pretty sure shooting a necromorph with a javelin and then electrocuting it will do enough damage to kill any enemy in the entire game. If you upgrade it with the special node, the javelin also explodes when it's done electrocuting the enemy. It will almost certainly already be dead, so the additional explosion generally serves no purpose other than launching whichever item the necromorph dropped across the room or into inaccessible areas, so it actively works against you more often than not.

I upgrade it every single time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Last I checked Crytek still owned the rights to Timesplitters, and were considering making a fourth one that fizzled out due to lack of interest. Timesplitters: Future Perfect was a great game but apparently not as commercially successful as you might expect, so selling publishers on Timesplitters 4 didn't work out.

Too bad, beating everything in Timesplitters 2 is still one of my proudest gaming achievements. Gold or platinum trophies on all the challenges, and beating the main story on hard is still one of the most difficult things I've done. Wild West in particular, where right at the start of the mission there was an enemy who had about a 50% chance to lean out and headshot you within a second or two of the level starting.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The best part of fishing in BoF games is that in BoF2 it's used to get the best sword in the game for the main character. There's a spot which will randomly show up on the overworld map close to your home town, and can only be accessed from a single tile inaccessible by land. The only way to get there is to use Nina's sister to fly you there before you open up the final dungeon. Once you visit the final dungeon a bunch of demons come out and chase her off any time you try to use her, and the airship replacement you get is too big to land on the single tile.

You would expect the ultimate weapon to be at the end of some dramatic sidequest, but nope. Inconspicuous chest lying at the bottom of an inconspicuous minigame location.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The best part about the optimization for XCOM 2 is that for whatever reason, hitting caps lock while in the loading screen after or before a mission (I forget which) will cause it to load instantly instead of having to wait another minute or so. Not sure if I ever found a decent explanation for why this happens.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The best stealth tactic in MGSV is to throw a smoke grenade in the back seat of a jeep and then drive it straight into the base. I don't know exactly how it's coded, but as long as you're inside the cloud you can drive right past people and they'll only reach the state where they're alerted in general but not to you specifically.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Found the video, just so you can see how amazing it really is.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Metal Gear Solid V. I throw a tranquilized child soldier into the back of a jeep and fulton it back to base.
Miller: "You're going to extract him?"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nordick posted:

He can also:
- Turn himself into a chicken that runs at enemies and explodes (with no harm to himself because of course not)

Worth noting that once you complete one of the late-game sets the chicken runs 100% faster and when you kill an enemy with the explosion, they also explode and start a chain reaction.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

It still bums me out that Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive with no chance of ever being ported to PC due to Sony's involvement. I really want to play it, but spending $300 on a console to play one game would be ridiculous.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I beat DS1 without ever hearing about DSfix, what does it do? And does that mean I'm the best at Dark Souls?

It fixes the game in a whole bunch of ways. From Software basically said outright that they had no idea what they were doing with the PC port of Dark Souls and were only making it due to constant fan requests. One of the main problems was that it was rendering the game at a low resolution internally, so if you were running on a standard 1920x1080 screen it would be showing you a smaller image that had been stretched out. Also added options to unlock the framerate, change anti-aliasing settings, and a lot of other graphics settings which are standard with most PC games. As far as I know it was still functionally playable without DSfix, it just would have looked all janky for the entire playthrough.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah they're totally acting with the consumer's best interst in mind here lol

Unless they're really lovely as a company, complacent gamers will never be outraged enough to do anything about it. Bethesda is the first accelerationist game developer.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I liked Death's mobility a lot but I found Darksiders 2's quality took a massive nose-dive after the land of the dead and never recovered. The first game drops off toward the end too but nowhere nearly as badly. But they're both super cool games.

Darksiders 2 clearly ran into budget problems or something after the Land of the Dead. First and second worlds have large maps containing multiple fleshed-out dungeons. Third world consists of a big tower that links to one other dungeon, and a third-person shooter section that is universally hated by everyone who plays the game. Fourth world is a single dungeon, then disappointing final boss fight.

Then THQ goes under and the series dies despite there being plans for a third game. Kind of a shame, they did a pretty good job of mashing together so many different games into one.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Lobok posted:

I didn't really remember the details of the world very well but I looked up the overworld maps and yeah, whoo boy, there was barely a reason to even draw up a "map" for those last two overworlds.

I'd forgotten how straightforward they were until I looked them up again. For reference, the map of the first world:

A home base type area and multiple connected open areas, leading to various dungeons and sub-dungeons.

Compared to the last "world":

Third world isn't much better. The straight path to the single dungeon curves slightly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Saying that Mad Max would be better with the nemesis system is kind of cheating, since most open world games would be better with the nemesis system. Shadow of Mordor really nailed that concept, as barebones as the rest of the game was.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

The fact that your character in FC4 got railroaded into supporting a drug lord or a regressive theologian was pretty lovely, and they handled it about as badly as possible.

The scene you can see after you beat the game is just as dumb. Whoever you side with will turn into a monster by the end in one way or another, and after the final mission you can visit them for one last cutscene. If it's Sabal, he's a self-absorbed religious nut about to take a child bride for himself, and if it's Amita she's turned into an opiate drug lord. They've both clearly become villains and treat you like poo poo, even though you've spent the entire game winning their civil war for them single-handedly.

After the cutscene you can just kill them as they're walking away, and either one will have had it coming if you do. They ragdoll to the ground like any other generic enemy being killed and the game doesn't acknowledge it at all.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I bet those shoe funnels become real inconvenient when it rains.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Dishonored 2

The "Crack in the Slab" level. Game has been out for a while now but I'll put this in spoilers just in case. The basic idea of the level is that you're in a mansion owned by a man who's in a sort of magic-induced insanity as a result of an occult ritual performed there many years earlier. As a result time is all twisted, and the Outsider gives you a gizmo which allows you to instantly switch between the current time when the mansion is empty and dilapidated, and the past around the time the ritual occurred. The neat thing is how it actually works, since outside being able to switch back and forth with a mouse click, you can also make it bring up an array of crystals which act as a sort of window to the past.

This means you get to spend the whole level basically playing time assassin which your enemies are completely helpless to stop you. Bring up the window to the past while you're in the present day, find a guard wandering around, position yourself behind them, warp to the past, backstab them, warp back to the present, bring up the window again and watch as the other guards freak out about what just happened, repeat. It's completely unfair from a balance perspective I guess but the game is relatively easy anyway if you're doing a lethal run and drat it that level in particular a lot of fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Crack In The Slab might be the best level in any game ever.
So if you manage to knock Stilton unconscious and hide his body he won't be driven insane by meeting Delilah, and at the start of the next level he'll be on your boat, acting like he's been helping you this entire time. Great little moment.

On my second playthrough of the game and never knew this was a thing you could do. I figured there was probably some optional way of resolving things that I was missing since most levels seem to have one, though it usually involves destroying someone's life in favor of assassinating them. I'll have to keep that in mind if I go for a third playthrough.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Finished up Bioshock 2 (yes, including Minerva's Den, stop asking) from the HD reissue and... I kind of think it was better than the first game? Apparently this is at odds with the general consensus--and to be fair, it is the extra content in Minerva's Den that put it over the top for me.

Bioshock 2 is my favorite of the three games but I never played Minerva's Den despite hearing good things about it. How does the HD remaster hold up? When it came out there were a bunch of articles saying it was somehow worse than just playing the original, with weird changes like adding water effects that were worse than what was already there to start. I got the remasters for free since I already had the original trilogy on Steam but don't know which I should reinstall for another playthrough.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Apparently that was misreported.

I'm in the post-game part and it's certainly a repetitive, content-padding sort of thing to do from a game design perspective. Still, playing it on the hardest difficulty I've never felt the need to use the loot box system at all, it really is just there for people who feel the need to waste their money. Even if you do get a bunch of sweet legendary orcs, the only thing you'll ever see regarding the online aspect of the game is a list telling you whether or not someone who tried to attack one of your forts was successful. You'll never get to actually watch them struggling against your warlords or anything like that unless you're watching them on a stream.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

synthetik posted:

Buying $100 of lootboxes will speed up getting the "final" ending by ~10/15 hours. The non-lootbox method of getting the ending is tanking your multiplayer ranking, getting silvers on those missions, then repeating for a dozen hours.

It's dumb.

Not sure what you're talking about with the online ranking unless there's an aspect to it that I'm not getting. The final, grindy section of the game is defending your forts over and over against assaults by waves of AI opponents by using the armies you've built up over the course of the game. Your forts will have a defense rating which will show up online if someone tries to invade it, but that's a separate thing which has no real relevance to the single player campaign.

If you're talking about saving time because it allows you to pay for your army instead of having to go out and brand them all yourself, that's basically paying to skip the entire reason to play the game in the first place. I don't like the loot box system because it's potentially exploitative of people with gambling-addict personalities, but you can absolutely play through the game without ever having to acknowledge it at all. It would be like if Rockstar was selling loot boxes with assault rifles or whatever in GTA V. You could spend money on them if you really wanted, or go just about anywhere in the game world and get one yourself with no effort.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Dead Cells doesn't do enough to make me feel like I'm making meaningful progress in the game.

The drop rates might be the worst part of the game, but it's still in early access so they might change that before it gets a full release. I stopped playing a while back (should probably take another look since there was a major content patch a few days ago), since I'd exhausted all the content in the game except trying to farm a few specific items with abysmal drop rates. The Crusher comes to mind, an item that only drops from one rare type of enemy in what's probably the hardest area of the game at a 0.4% rate.

The feeling of reward drops off after a few hours since actual progress is luck-based. Once you've already unlocked most of the common items, a successful run where you make it all the way through your desired route has an overwhelming chance of giving you nothing to show for it. Even the easily obtainable items can be tedious to get, I still don't have the Decoy even though it drops from common enemies in the standard second level that I've run through countless times.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Somfin posted:

GLOO-ing a Technopath that's floated out above a large drop is the most satisfying thing.

Only place I could find that was big enough for this was the reactor room, but tossing an EMP then covering it in gloo and watching it fall about six stories and die instantly was satisfying.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Goddamn Hurk must be some executive's pet-character because he shows up in every game as the comic-relief despite not being funny in the slightest.

Still better than those two drug guys in FC4. Absolutely the worst characters in the whole series.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

Far Cry Primal is probably the only Far Cry game I'd ever want to play.

Far Cry games are about killing people exclusively with a bow and arrow so the lack of modern weaponry shouldn't matter.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEYyLgtInIg&t=56s

One of the biggest if not the biggest chain I've seen in video games.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Dewgy posted:

I’d rather hear him as Skull Face ranting about languages.

Ranting about languages for half the car ride, sitting there in a long, awkward silence for the other half.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Dewgy posted:

The mini mart shelves are my favorite part. If you look close there’s like, diapers and potato chips everywhere, and nothing’s refrigerated.

If your store sells nothing but diapers and potato chips you shouldn't need refrigerators.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only thing I hate with Doom Eternal is The Marauders. They're completely antithetical to DOOM because you can only hurt them when they let you rather than being allow to just pound the poo poo out of them like everything else.

They were kind of rough at first but I actually started liking the encounters once I got used to the ssg parry/ballista quickswap. There are only about six of them in the whole game and they never come at you more than one at a time so it didn't really feel unfair. People complain about the dogs a lot but you can destroy them easily with a ssg blast which you should have out while fighting them anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ammo for the shotgun, especially the SSG sucks rear end even with it maxed out though. If you don't have full ammo, you're gonna have a bad time of fighting them because it expects you to be able to functionally Blunderbuss them on-demand like they're a Bloodborne enemy. It's bad gameplay design, especially when several are in Secret Encounters where you can't top up ammo easily.

I never really used the SSG much so it was always at full ammo whenever a marauder showed up anyway. If you use it a lot the rocket launcher with remote detonate is roughly as good for getting them to stagger and that way you don't even have to worry about the green eyes parry. Most of the damage seems to come from getting the followup ballista shot, getting the stagger/shot combo four times was good enough to kill them on nightmare. If you're out of health/armor/ammo the game always has a fodder zombie wandering around to refill whatever you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This is the deciding factor imo. Breath of the Wild was great for letting you use game mechanics to solve puzzles in unconventional ways. You could push around a bunch of electrically-charged boxes to connect metal tiles and complete a circuit as intended, or you can just drop all your metal weapons, shields, etc in a line from the beginning of the intended circuit to the end and be done with it, just for one example

Not really a puzzle, but apparently you're supposed to get to the Goron village by capturing one of the lizards on the outskirts and using it to make a heat resistance potion so the environment doesn't damage you. I didn't know that was a thing, so I got there by traveling to the warp point right above a bunch of durian trees, using them to completely fill my inventory with full health restores, then running the entire way to the village while on fire healing up every time I was just about to die.