Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm p sure the company got scuttled after releasing it. It's the same boys who did the mercs series.

Goddamn Mercs 2 was great.
Wasn't there a really good LP of it here?
Something like "The fraccas in Caracas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm p sure the company got scuttled after releasing it. It's the same boys who did the mercs series.

Yeah they died releasing The Saboteur, but that doesn't change the fact I want a sequel :v:

If you go to the Moulin Rouge and get on the dancing platform, the patrons boo you :allears:

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I love this cutscene in Wolfenstein: The New Order for Blazkowicz's delivery. Awestruck with the slightest tinge of regret in "The gently caress did I just do?"

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn Mercs 2 was great.
Wasn't there a really good LP of it here?
Something like "The fraccas in Caracas"
Yeah, and somehow with the turnover of videohosts it's still on the internet via youtube.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Go back to Vice City, add in all the really seedy parts of the state, and make Florida Man: The Video Game.
Vice City should be next in line, too. I'm having high hopes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hobo By Design posted:

Yeah, and somehow with the turnover of videohosts it's still on the internet via youtube.

Yeah, Dan's L.P. of Lost Planet 1 got... Well, lost, that way.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Samovar posted:

Yeah, Dan's L.P. of Lost Planet 1 got... Well, lost, that way.

Loster Planet. Lostest Planet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't think anyone complained that The Saboteur took place in nazi occupied Paris. Although maybe that's why? Whatever, a little thing about that game was climbing up the Eiffel tower and jumping off into the pool of water next to it. Netted you a cheevo on consoles.

Where's The Saboteur 2? :(

They went under at some point, also EA tried to completely remove The Saboteur for a bit. It was a great game, it would be amazing with all the things we have today.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Pandemic Studios. They also did Destroy All Humans

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SEKCobra posted:

They went under at some point, also EA tried to completely remove The Saboteur for a bit. It was a great game, it would be amazing with all the things we have today.

https://fat.gfycat.com/LiveAssuredBactrian.webm

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vice City should be next in line, too. I'm having high hopes.

I know the whole retro 80s/neon/synth thing seems like it's getting a bit played out these days, but I'd still love it to be set in the 80s again.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Drunken Baker posted:

I know the whole retro 80s/neon/synth thing seems like it's getting a bit played out these days, but I'd still love it to be set in the 80s again.

Honestly it really needs to be. I don't see myself caring nearly as much if it's set in modern times.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just freed the first Sacred Beast in Zelda Breath of the Wild, Ruto.. I love the design and flow of the challenge, and the fact that They aren't the Boss, but the dungeon. I also like navigating them by manouvring parts of them, climbing on Ruto's trunk as it moved under foot was really fun. Looking forward to seeing what is in store for the other three.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In horizon: Zero Dawn there are hunting challenges which are meant to test your ability to use your various weapons in novel ways, like exploding and elemental Bomn from your sling to scare a herd of "grazers" (elk) into a trap you laid. One involves knocking off X number of parts from them that would normally require a bunch of careful precision shots over 2 minutes.

I had just bought a bow which deals percussive damage, meant to knock off parts. I landed, fired an arrow, it knocked off a BUNCH of parts, and I won in 9 seconds

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hobo By Design posted:

I love this cutscene in Wolfenstein: The New Order for Blazkowicz's delivery. Awestruck with the slightest tinge of regret in "The gently caress did I just do?"

Everything about BJ's character was phenomenal. Makes me really glad that we're out of that awful post-Half-Life period where just about every shooter had a stoic, if not totally mute, protagonist.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's a taunt in Nier Automata. You do it by flashing your light repeatedly in an enemies' face. Game is absolutely packed full of little things that rule, but it's also nailed all the big things so far. Definitely one of those games that escalates. You go "oh, they won't top that" and then they do, repeatedly. Oh, and the music rules. Been off videogames much more complex than mobile stuff for a while, but this one has me hooked.

Fishing is cool too. 2B teleports a stool in to sit on while the little robot pod does the actual fishing. Also half the fish are robots. The robot fish are part of the alien's machinations to wipe out humanity. Also one of the fishing spots is an oil field.

The sidequests are loving phenomenal though. Die Romeo, thou rear end in a top hat. Pisseth off.

John Murdoch posted:

Everything about BJ's character was phenomenal. Makes me really glad that we're out of that awful post-Half-Life period where just about every shooter had a stoic, if not totally mute, protagonist.

Doomguy in the latest Doom is good. You'd think he would be one of those and he is, but then all his characterisation comes from his actions and it just works. Shame most of the other characters are just there to talk at him but it does also mean his character gets shown off more.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

McDragon posted:

Fishing is cool too. 2B teleports a stool in to sit on while the little robot pod does the actual fishing. Also half the fish are robots. The robot fish are part of the alien's machinations to wipe out humanity. Also one of the fishing spots is an oil field.

The sidequests are loving phenomenal though. Die Romeo, thou rear end in a top hat. Pisseth off.

You could fish in a desert in the first game. I miss Weiss already :negative:

They didn't bring back the vase sidequest did they?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

McDragon posted:

Doomguy in the latest Doom is good. You'd think he would be one of those and he is, but then all his characterisation comes from his actions and it just works. Shame most of the other characters are just there to talk at him but it does also mean his character gets shown off more.

Yeah I was thinking about Doomguy as I posted that. He's mute, but he's certainly not stoic, and that makes a huge difference.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just started a replay of Sideway on steam, the first game I ever bought on the platform. It's a really cool game with an Urban aesthetic (Graffiti artwork, mainly hiphop soundtrack) where you are a Graffiti artist who gets sucked into a supernatural world of paint. You become Graffiti and as such your domain is the walls and rooftops of buildings. Powers include the ability to make ghostly tags into solid platforms to get to new places and each level has 5 secret tags that you need to return for with powers from later in the game. The cool part is the orientation at which you enter a ceiling determines which direction Up will be (The walls are constants and do not change), so enter a roof top from the south wall and you are jumping toward the north wall, but enter from the east and west becomes up - here's a diagram:

code:
------------------------------------------------------
|                                S|         |        |
|                             ____|         |        |
|                                           |        |
|         |              |                  |        |
|         |      |       |             |    |
                 |       |             |    |       East
                 |                |         |                   
|                                 |                  |
|________                         |            |     |
|                                              |     |
|------------------  South -----------------------------
Now, say the S is a secret tag and the three exits are west, south and east. You could come in on the south and because your head is facing north on entry, you access that lone platform to get to the west exit. However if you find your way around the building and are able to get to the east wall, jumping up will put you head facing west, and you'll be able to navigate those N-S platforms to get to the secret tag. Then either jump "Up" to the west or drop back "down" east to revert to the original path. (The scale went wonky, but imagine that their all the same height from each other).

There are some really cool level designs out of that.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
In Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, the freemium gachapon-style mechanic is getting units, most of which are from other Final Fantasy games. At different rarities they're more powerful (for example, a 3-star Cecil kinda sucks but a 4-star Cecil is decent, and 5 and 6-star Cecils are top-tier), but you can upgrade a unit's rarity through gameplay. This is good, because it means even someone with bad luck in pulls can make a good team, but it's not what I wanted to highlight.

The story idea behind these pulls are that you're summoning semi-sentient copies of great figures from history and legend. When you get a higher-rarity version, it isn't just their stats, move and appearance changing; their bio does too, describing them with more grandiose language and going deeper into their tale. So the reason a 5-star character is stronger than a 3-star isn't just because he's got bigger numbers, it's that you've gone from using 'corrupt knight Garland' or 'wandering vagrant Bartz' to 'Garland, avatar of Chaos' and 'Bartz, Warrior of Light and savior of multiple worlds'. Of course this version is stronger, he's from later in the story!

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Mar 14, 2017

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Nuebot posted:

Dunno about the side quest but early preorder people got a skin for their floaty pod friend that is literally Weiss, just his skin though, he doesn't scare the fish.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Feonir posted:

Dunno about the side quest but early preorder people got a skin for their floaty pod friend that is literally Weiss, just his skin though, he doesn't scare the fish.

I've already decided I'll be using that skin for the whole game and pretending it's silently judging me.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

In Horizon Zero Dawn there is a relatively small area of canyons on the big map that has echoes for incidental sounds and if your character shouts/grunts/talks (when doing an attack, sliding down a hill). It blew me away so much that I purposely aggroed some nearby robots to fight near some rock walls.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Aphasian posted:

In Horizon Zero Dawn there is a relatively small area of canyons on the big map that has echoes for incidental sounds and if your character shouts/grunts/talks (when doing an attack, sliding down a hill). It blew me away so much that I purposely aggroed some nearby robots to fight near some rock walls.

Yeah I noticed that as well. I slid off a ledge and Aloy gave out a startled "Woah!" and it echoed along with the pebbles I'd knocked loose. They really went above and beyond on this game. Too bad glinthawks are such fuckers. Seriously, glinthawks, gently caress off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kruller posted:

Yeah I noticed that as well. I slid off a ledge and Aloy gave out a startled "Woah!" and it echoed along with the pebbles I'd knocked loose. They really went above and beyond on this game. Too bad glinthawks are such fuckers. Seriously, glinthawks, gently caress off.

The tear arrows usually ground them so you can crit and then murder them while frozen.

Stalkers are way worse.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Len posted:

The tear arrows usually ground them so you can crit and then murder them while frozen.

Stalkers are way worse.

Do you mean the arrow with the Sharpshot bow that goes wubwub then tears armor off?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Not a big thing, but in the latest EA golf game (Rory 2016 I want to say), during the loading screens, they'll pop up little things like:

quote:

Inflating Blimps...

or

quote:

Trimming grass...

But of course, since it's EA, one of them is

quote:

Reticulating Splines...

:allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kruller posted:

Do you mean the arrow with the Sharpshot bow that goes wubwub then tears armor off?

Yeah that's been my savior against them. Useful against stalkers too since it usually manages to take out the stealth and maybe the darts in one arrow.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The character design and voice acting in Darksiders is so good. For being an Ocarina of Time knockoff it's got a ton of effort in the artistic design.

Also using the home run swing is endlessly satisfying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Darksiders was made with every intention of being a playable 90s comic book and for the most part it succeeded.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Don't know if I ever finished the first Darksiders but I had a great time with II. Death felt much more fun to play as, specifically his movement, whereas War felt too cumbersome. Didn't help that I played Darksiders on the 360 and its bulky controller whereas I played Darksiders II with a DualShock.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Darksiders had some great voice actors. They were both pretty fun but 2 was definitely moreso. Just felt a bit nicer to control. The horses were cool in both. I have to mention the names of the remakes though. The Warmastered and Deathinitive editions, I think?

Nuebot posted:

Haven't come across anything exactly like that yet, but there's been one or two bits with the same sort of gently caress you attitude. But like in a nice way? So it gives you some annoying task but then is so funny about it you end up forgiving it.

And there's a bunch of neat references to the first game scattered about. And Weapon Stories are in too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McDragon posted:

Darksiders had some great voice actors.

When the playable character is voiced by this guy, you're off to a great start:

Maybe another reason I preferred Death.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Darksiders is my favorite Zelda game.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Darksiders is my favorite Zelda game.
Go play Breath of Wild, the best Open World Game since Morrowind

Fav lil thing from that game: if you kill an animal with a fire weapon, the meat it drops is seared and ready for eating right away

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is "difficulty" a little thing? I mean, it's kind of hard to quantify, but I really, really like how BotW handles its difficulty. You can either stick to safer areas to farm gear and stuff without a care in the world, or you can go gently caress with things that are way out of your weight class elsewhere in the world, including Ganon's castle itself. In a lot of games if I end up slaughtering two dozen guys without any real threat, or die a few times to the same enemy type in a row, it's time to put the game down for a while - in BotW it just means I should go explore somewhere else.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lobok posted:

Don't know if I ever finished the first Darksiders but I had a great time with II. Death felt much more fun to play as, specifically his movement, whereas War felt too cumbersome. Didn't help that I played Darksiders on the 360 and its bulky controller whereas I played Darksiders II with a DualShock.

I liked Death's mobility a lot but I found Darksiders 2's quality took a massive nose-dive after the land of the dead and never recovered. The first game drops off toward the end too but nowhere nearly as badly. But they're both super cool games.

It was nice that the Warmastered edition was free since I bought the first game several years ago and then had forgotten about it. It was also a fun discovery that apparently Steam now natively supports the Dualshock 4, which is a loving great controller, and the remastered game also naturally recognizes it.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Mar 14, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RyokoTK posted:

I liked Death's mobility a lot but I found Darksiders 2's quality took a massive nose-dive after the land of the dead and never recovered. The first game drops off toward the end too but nowhere nearly as badly. But they're both super cool games.

Darksiders 2 clearly ran into budget problems or something after the Land of the Dead. First and second worlds have large maps containing multiple fleshed-out dungeons. Third world consists of a big tower that links to one other dungeon, and a third-person shooter section that is universally hated by everyone who plays the game. Fourth world is a single dungeon, then disappointing final boss fight.

Then THQ goes under and the series dies despite there being plans for a third game. Kind of a shame, they did a pretty good job of mashing together so many different games into one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't really remember the details of the world very well but I looked up the overworld maps and yeah, whoo boy, there was barely a reason to even draw up a "map" for those last two overworlds.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think I read somewhere that they had their budget cut or something for the last two areas. Which is a shame, since DS2 was awesome up to that point, then just merely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Lobok posted:

I didn't really remember the details of the world very well but I looked up the overworld maps and yeah, whoo boy, there was barely a reason to even draw up a "map" for those last two overworlds.

I'd forgotten how straightforward they were until I looked them up again. For reference, the map of the first world:

A home base type area and multiple connected open areas, leading to various dungeons and sub-dungeons.

Compared to the last "world":

Third world isn't much better. The straight path to the single dungeon curves slightly.