Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

kazil posted:

Always making GBS threads on Detroit :(

(it was actually Denver)

I really liked that they used Denver in that game. It's not a place you'd expect Japanese developers to know about, and it even looks plausibly like a futuristic Denver. There's a conspicuous lack of mountains in the distance when you're on the rooftops but otherwise, well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Cleretic posted:

Nearing the end of Dark Souls II, and it's pulled off a genuinely very, very clever way to subtly direct the player.

Near the end of the game, you enter the memories of trees formed out of giant's corpses in the first proper zone in the game. There's three of them accessible, but no clear direction as to where they are... until you find one. They actually form a circuit, silently pointing you towards each other.

-One of them is behind a door opened by the King's Ring. It sends you to a memory set near where you fought the Pursuer, the area's second boss.
-Near the Pursuer's arena is another one. Its memory is set around the fortress where you first met Pate, the NPC that gives you the white soapstone.
-And just around there is where the third giant tree is. Its memory is of somewhere that got thoroughly wrecked in the battle and looks quite different now, but if you're keen-eyed you can still identify it as being around the walls where the King's Ring door now is.

I just figured they changed the structure of the game and had to switch all the memories around so the coolest-looking one was the mandatory one. That works too though.

The bit with the stone head and the giant king in that memory is great. You can see the king from way off, but for most of the approach your view is blocked by a rolling stone head that you have to dodge and the dust cloud it kicks up. Then the dust clears and you're probably standing next to a loving gigantic foot

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

The open level design in Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes makes a bunch of mechanics that have always been in the series actually work for the first time. The binoculars are useful now, sabotage is a valid stealth mechanic (like if you blow up a jeep it diverts nearby guys from their posts to where the jeep was, instead of just pulling every guard in the level-corridor onto your position), and escaping from alerts is a really active, responsive process now, where you try to break sight-lines and move in unexpected ways, instead of (for example) hiding in a tree stump for five minutes as guards flood the level, only to have them inevitably find you and stomp on your balls.

The pricing is such a rip-off that it's hard to recommend and I don't want to encourage a paradigm of $30 demos for AAA games but god damnit it's really good

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know what Destiny is like but the grandiosity of the title is funny to me. Stay tuned for Love (2016), Hope (2018), and Purpose (2020), for more of men in space armor with glowy circles on it shooting huge guns at each other

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

JebanyPedal posted:

It's very much a game that says "gently caress you." to excessive attempts to immerse the player and rather just immerses them...the Nemesis system is so obscenely gamey that so many current artsy fartsy developers would decry it as being a step backwards as far as dynamic narrative devices go, but they'd be loving idiots, because the stories that have been told by players in Mordor are signifigantly more interesting than nearly any game.

Is anyone actually arguing this? Is the lead dev for Gone Home or some other storygames bogeyman up in Kotaku this month saying "emergent stories are actually fairly bad" or where are you getting this from

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

- In the game you also have access to a codec-like phone which you can use to call various people by typing in a phone number. One of the numbers you get is for "LoveLine", and calling there twice (IIRC) nets you this pretty great conversation.

Haha

In Ikari III for nintendo you fistfight a ton of fairly samey enemy soldiers. As you get into the third level or so they start to drop the pretense of being realistic and suddenly start acting like "video game enemies," like there will be a guy continually jumping up and down and spin-kicking, or a group of guys carrying other guys who hurl them at you as projectiles. The sight of realistic-ish army man characters suddenly breaking kayfabe to act like koopa troopas is just funny to me I guess

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So digress a bit, I was once told that the commonly believed interpretation of 'Turn the other cheek' is actually incorrect. The phrase originates from the teachings of Jesus in relation of how one acts with their oppressors. 2000 years ago, the Romans would often use their left(?) hands to clean their feces, creating very strong connotations with left hands and uncleanliness. Thus, when they wanted to show disrespect, Roman soldiers would smack their left hands across the face of those who they subjugated. Jesus and his followers were common targets of the Roman soldiers, and would often be hit by soldier's poo hands. Jesus would often teach his followers to turn their cheek to force Romans to hit them with the other hand. Thus, the phrase 'Turn the Other Cheek' was not merely a plea of non-violence, but a call to demand to be seen as one's equal. Point being, if this story is indeed true, that the description presented is still taking the wrong message by describing you as the oppressor.

This isn't true but it's a good illustration of why that screenshot is funny

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Didn't realize Bigby was acting as an author mouthpiece there, makes it even more groan worthy. Thought it was actually denigrating Bigby by having him reflect Israel's unofficial Mad Dog policy with why no one will mess with Bigby. Couple that with Gepetto's complete dismissal and it seems to be Bigby huffing and puffing with no wind emergent.

I'd also forgotten about Snow's holier-than-thou response to abortions but again associated it with a singular character rather than author mouthpiece. Isn't it outright stated that Fable pregnancies are incredibly rare? Anyway, I'm trying to find the panels that refer to Frau Totenkinder (literally Mrs. Child Killer) weaponizing abortions.

I'm not familiar with the game or the comics but it looks like everything about them is abominably stupid

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

BR'ER RABBIT
But hows we gone stop all dem purple chainsaw monkeys from votin' for de ebil Dr. Totensturm?

SEXY RED RIDING HOOD
Listen up, motherfucker. Ever heard of a country called Bosnia?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

I will never understand how someone can look at a game like this and go 'yeah, this needs more realistic food brands in it'

I guess it has something to do with my immmeeerrrssiiooonn

Sometimes these forums feel like a competition to be the biggest oval office about the least significant thing possible

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

And I've heard a lot of people complain also about the mosaic-blur effect when shooting someone in the head either at close range or with a high-caliber weapon, but I liked that, too. Not only did it add to the grimy found-footage feel but blasting someone in the face with a shotgun and having them writhe around on the ground shrieking in agony while their head is behind a pixelated censor just seems so much more gruesome than anything they could have actually shown.

That's awesome(?) That's literally horrifying

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

If I recall that one has a little jokey rhyme too.

More PoE: this guy you meet in a whorehouse

and if you click the first option...

Stretch Goals
$1,500,000 - We will hire the guy who made the levels in every 90s PC game look boring to make our levels look boring

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure "Yojimbo" is kinda a big Japanese mythological character on his own, old films notwithstanding. He's gotta be tied with Nobunaga appearing as the Japanese equivalent of Satan-Hitler, anyway.

Future archaeologist reading your posts: "One of America's most important mythological characters was Ms. Paint Adventures"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

McDragon posted:

In terms of a little thing I wish was in AK, there was a bit where Batman was very obviously going to get cornered in a little room so I put some explosive gel around the door but the game ignored that. At least he had the sense to go and hide, but I wanted to blow up some fools.

The Batman game should not punish you for being too good at batmanning. This is hosed up

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Would you rather "hit" and get audio/visual feedback but deal no damage? It's effectively the exact same thing, but it's harder to tell when you've dealt no damage and when you're just too weak to hurt the enemy much. It shouldn't even happen that much if you manage your stamina well and use a weapon you have some skill in.

I get that they could have put more effort into the presentation to avoid the weird feeling of flailing about in the air, but when you get down to it it's an RPG with to-hit rolls, it's a layer of abstraction :shrug: it's not great, but it's just action-RPG combat that falls more towards the RPG side and doesn't do it particularly well. The sequels fall more towards the action side and don't do that well at all. Guess it comes down to which you can put up with more.

No I feel that it is bad because you need to physically hit the other guy with your sword for the game to roll whether you "hit" him or not. Acting like this is an ok trade-off to solve some intractable problem is weird to me because almost no action rpgs besides elder scrolls have this issue at all.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Fair enough

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

"There are two Hideo Kojimas. One Kojima injects every Metal Gear Solid game with earnest if overbearing discussions of nuclear disarmament, the morality of genetic experimentation, the nature of warfare, and the difference between patriotism and terrorism. The other Kojima lets you call Rose in Metal Gear Solid 4 and shake your SIXAXIS to make her boobs jiggle."

I know you didn't write this but isn't this legitimately a bad idea? A wrong and even harmful way to think about things you have mixed feelings about

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

McDragon posted:

Blazing Roach made me laugh, but my favourite is just Parrot. Oh, and anything with Eel or Slug doing something Eels or Slugs aren't known for, those are all great.

I recruited Smoking Hippo the other day.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

FreshFeesh posted:

Playing DOOM and I'm really enjoying how self-aware it is. I just beat the Cyberdemon and the achievement for doing so had me in stitches

This makes me sad for some reason. Why is everything a Joss Whedon reboot of itself

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh god, you've just reminded me about something that made me laugh like a lunatic the first time I noticed it - King Henselt's belt.

It's a little castle!

I haven't played Witcher 3 yet but i like that it seems to be embracing the awesome/ridiculousness of Renaissance clothing.

There's a book by a 16th century accountant named Matthaus Schwarz where he narrates his life across a series of pictures of cool outfits he wore and it's really fascinating and strange to me. He'll show himself like digging a grave for his third stillborn child (guessing it's the third because there are two skulls in the grave already) while looking mad stylish. I couldn't find that picture but for example

16th century was a dick pants century

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Do you know what the text says? I read neither german nor handwriting.

Who What Now posted:

I need to know how this dude learned the ways of the ninja.

I can't read it, but on the site where I found the "ninja" pic the description says he wore that to his dad's funeral

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I liked how Metal Gear Solid V made me feel bad for killing in war, with just game mechanics. (As opposed to like someone hollering "Snake! he had a family!" over your radio.) If you see a guy with a blinking status indicator over his head, you could shoot him, or you could sneak up and interrogate him, or you could tranq him and leave him somewhere as a decoy, or you could lead him on a wild goose chase out into the bush and double back and steal his weird Soviet jeep. You could just sneak past while he listens to his bootleg new wave tapes or shoots the poo poo with his friend about army gossip. Or you could recruit him; he could be your chief botanist, your mole in Red Army Intelligence, or just one of the guys in your warehouse loading up your supply balloons. He could snipe an invader from a football field away, or get eaten by a bear while he's out raiding wild opium plants for your tranq rounds, or get into a knife fight with a Congolese teenager over whether your dog is really a wolf.

But as soon as you shoot him, and that little indicator blinks off, none of that will ever happen. Now he's a physics object on the ground, same as a spare tire or an empty jerrycan. Next time you come by this way, he won't even be that.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

That's a good way to suppress your vocal cord parasites

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Trainmonk posted:

Didn't say represent, I said take stances for. More clearly, attempting to define or coopt marginalized people and their motivations primarily for white folk's easy consumption. Its almost voyeurism a lot of the time.

Representation is like when they put a gay person in the game.

This is your real response to people you act like you can speak for, after they contradict you? That seems patronizing and unimpressive to me. It's not like this distinction was lost on the person who said "represented or told good stories about" either.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Trainmonk posted:

No, I am speaking for myself as a minority. Why did you assume all of that?

I meant that you could speak for them too. It seemed like you were saying "this is the only minority viewpoint and if you don't agree it's because you don't get this distinction" even though the person you were replying to clearly did.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Ocarina of TIme was weirdly good about giving you a sense of inhabiting a culture. There's also a part where I think you have to prove yourself to the Goron king by a playing a song that only a member of the royal family would know. That's tight

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

It's bizarre how much Shigeru Miyamoto absolutely loathes the idea of lore in games, considering the best memories anyone seems to have with Zelda games is based on the sense of the world rather than any particular element of the gameplay. I hope that they ignore him with Breath of the Wild, because if they end up going with "gameplay like Skyrim with nothing beyond a bare-bones generic story," I'm going to be very disappointed. On the other hand, if they finally fully embrace the concept of lore by littering references to things throughout the game, it could fill this thread for months.

Maybe the distinction is only in my mind, but I think there's a difference between stuff like that and lore. Like the context for the stuff you do is embedded in the task itself, not on a lore page attached to an item, or an in-game book, or something. Zelda has traditionally been really good about that. In the very first game you have dormant robot soldiers guarding certain places, standing in formation like terracotta soldiers in the emperor's tomb, and it's stronger for not being explained. I'm all for having a lot of intriguing stuff and not explaining it beyond what you can discover by exploring and interacting.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

I was complaining about Witcher 3's combat in the other thread but I'm surprisingly into the world and setting. I like the fact that all your witcher gear is specific; you have steel and silver weapons and mystical gang signs and special witcher drugs you have to synthesize out of like sagebrush and barley, not just a big pile of any and all fantasy stuff they could fit into the game. It feels like you are handed the tools of a guy who plays a specific role in society, and then you play that role, including detective work like talking to witnesses and tracking monsters, etc.

too bad the combat sucks!!!

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Regrettable posted:

MGSV rankings are based almost entirely on the amount of time it takes you to complete a mission so you can just go in guns blazing and get S ranks all over the place as long as you're quick about it.

I'm really impressed with how they did it. Going fast is almost a guaranteed S-rank, but so is No Traces, so you can go for either extreme and still get a good score.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

Welp, sorry I started this derail.
But think about it, is the guy that nobody notices and might as well be a ghost really the protagonist here :2bong:

I know what you mean though. In a lot of video games, this one included it sounds like, the narrative centers on someone else and you're kind of playing as the guy who takes the trash out afterwards. The story as you experience it and the story that the game tells to you are about different people

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

In Samurai Shodown one of the fighters, Kyoshiro, is a kabuki actor, who has really exaggerated / stereotyped stage mannerisms for everything. For example instead of walking he does that hop-on-one-foot kabuki thing that I don't know what it's called. My favorite part is that if you double tap the joystick to run, he just starts doing the same thing really fast, sort of running on one foot while the rest of his body stays in rigid stage posture.

In fact the whole game has kind of a kabuki thing going on-- the judges are dressed as kabuki stagehands, the long hitpause on strong attacks turns the most dramatic frame of the attack into a mie pose, the music, etc. The way the 2d graphics separate into a dynamic foreground and a semi-fixed background even looks very theatrical. Although really some of this influence runs the other way, I think; like standard ways of depicting things in 2D were adapted to video games from existing artforms. The weird forced perspective you see in Earthbound or the Ninja Turtles Arcade Game is straight out of 19th century woodblock prints. It's cool to see that cultural continuity happening unselfconsciously.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

This is still my favorite video game title of all time

Like if they had called it Why Don't We Just Take A poo poo Right Into Your Hand it would only feel about half as hostile and demeaning to the game itself

Guy Mann posted:

Also it's the one time I can think of where the main characters in a work of fiction about killer robots who can take the identities of human beings without being aware that they're robots had enough genre savvy and self-awareness to question whether or not they themselves could be robots...

This happens in the movie Ex Machina too-- after the main guy realizes that his boss' hypersexed maid is a robot, there's a little scene where he nervously cuts open the skin on his own arm with an x-acto or something. Thats not relevant to Binary Domain but it got me lollin. I like when fictional characters have the aptitude to notice and figure out things going on around them.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

I really liked the character of Code Talker in MGSV, when you meet him he looks like the biggest stereotype in the world as an old man in a cloak who smokum peace pipe with Snake but then you get to know him and he's actually an insanely gifted microbiologist who loves hamburgers and talks to you at length about the history and culture of the Diné. And he ties into the entire game's themes of language as a means of control with him being taken away from his people as a child and forced to speak English and adopt an American name, and how he gets roped into Skull Face's plan due to his fear of his native culture and language being wiped out by assimilation.

I liked this too. The bell tape was great and his philosophy of hamburgers is funny and surprisingly deep. IIRC it's like "no this isn't natural, but none of the stuff we make is, the important part is to nurture the environment you rely on instead of exploiting it to death"

Peace pipe isn't just a stereotype though I think. I remember when the first trailer with Code Talker came out seeing a post by a Dine guy who explained the significance of it and how that tied into the way it was being depicted.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

WirelessPillow posted:

You guys are arguing the same point.

Also it seems like the existence of the player fucks up the whole thing? like its based around the unknowable question of "did I MAKE those memories or do i just HAVE them" except it is taking place in the only medium where one of the characters is an audience member who has an overarching continuity of consciousness, and can in fact say "yeah that other guy game overed"

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Except that 'highly stylized English' reads 'answre'

The whole thing is a huge fuckin stretch

haha gee it's probably a total coincidence then

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Breath of the Wild might be the first open world RPG that really knows what it's good at.

I mean compare it to Elder Scrolls. Both engines are pretty good at simulating flight, but neither one is set up at all to simulate the social consequences of murder. So, in BOTW, you can fly a little, but you can't murder everyone. But in Oblivion, you can murder anyone and everyone, because it's easy for the designers to plop combat stats on anybody, but you can;'t fly because they hid load times in the zone transitions or something. Like they didn't make design decisions so much as make more stuff until they hit some limit of time or complexity that made the decisions for them. (if i had worked on the game i would read that and be like "gently caress you, do you have ANY idea how hard it was to do this and this and this," but, i didn't)

it's kinda like the original Zelda vs, idk what was the big PC RPG then, Bard's Tale? Zelda looks like an unsophisticated kids' toy next to it, at first.

But what's the challenge in the Bard's Tale? There's mapping, which you have to do by hand, and there's fighting, which you do by exchanging different types of points for each other at different rates. The numerical world of the game is almost fully closed. The only thing that (slooooowly) adds more points to the system is the amount of time, time subtracted from your real, only life, which you feed into the game by doing tasks that you can only really fail by trying to race ahead of the ultra-drawn-out power curve.

Is that fun? Not to me i guess. That sounds like selling Mary Kay to my own computer.

Zelda is made of fewer and simpler parts, but each one's at an angle to the rest that multiplies their depth. It's basically dodgeball + exploration, you guide your guy to the goal while avoiding the moving hitboxes. Even if it were just that, each new room layout and each differently-moving enemy would add a lot to it-- like, oh poo poo this guy can teleport, this guy changes directions at random, this guy can cross obstacles I can't. But then you get the sword and you can make your own hitbox. Then you get a hitbox you can throw but it doesnt kill the enemies, only makes them pause for a second. Then you get a hitbox you can leave behind on a timer. Then you get a hitbox you can spend points to shoot. Then you get etc. etc. you see what I mean? There's a lot of lock-and-key type items but there's also a lot of moving pieces that interact in cool ways.

tldr: the parachute glider thing in zelda is cool

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I quite like the twist in American Wasteland - your constantly adding to Iggy's skatepark through out the game, mindlessly tricking on anything that could possibly become a cool setpiece. You tear the world apart, literally, to build the Skatepark equivalent of Xanadu, damaging countless businesses in the name of sticking it to the man, until eventually your park gets too big. Turns out your attracting a lot of attention that Iggy didn't want and it also turns out that he is squatting on owned land, not just a vacant lot. All of a sudden that land is incredibly desirable, expensive, and way above Iggy's pay grade. Congratulations player, in sticking it to the man, you have in turn allowed the man to stick it to Iggy. All of a sudden you aren't counterculture warriors trying to carve your niche, your now full on investors trying to claw enough capital together through a glorified kickstarter campaign trying to swim in a way-too-big pond that you didn't even notice you had been drowning in all this time. You have to become part of the ~system~ now, and buy the land back fair and square from people who have been doing real estate a lot longer than you. You were never apart from the system, you were always a part of it, it's even foreshadowed by the fact that you can't even advance the plot without selling out - you need money at varying points to buy an alien costume, a tattoo and a ferry ride. You were always a slave to the Man, you just didn't realise it, and now you have to play the metaphorical game (the aforementioned rat-race), to play the literal xbox game.

It all fits together wonderfully.

That's cool. That's kind of how it works in real life too haha

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Cythereal posted:

He has a couple of teleports. One is pick a spot on the camp map, he'll appear somewhere in the vicinity of the target spot. The other lets him turn invisible and race ahead much faster than normal.

MiddleOne posted:

He has all kinds of murky genre-related superpowers.

Haha cool, that's really clever.

Does he have a way to turn the players' cameras back on themselves so he can sneak up on them from the front? Ever since someone pointed that out to me i always notice it in horror movies.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Just realised from a datalog that Horizon is a Metal Gear game. An early datalog implied that the machines were created by (speculation, just about to take the Ring of Metal with the Warchief)PMCs fighting amongst themselves for corporations for control of certain resources, as described in the Datalog that mentions Bolivia. Then something wiped everyone out; something that enough people saw coming to build the All Mother to save the civillian members of the species, and even 'celebrate' sardonically when it finally hit them; and the remaining machines went feral. If I read that wrong don't clarify, I want the plot to make itself clear organically, but that's what I'm taking from it so far.

Haha cool. Horizon: Zero Dawn: Metal Gear: Rising: Postvengeance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really want Square to bring back Amano concept art.

i like that a lot for some reason. Final Fantasy always had this gravitas to me as a kid, because it had a legit-seeming art style, even if it only showed up in the monster designs and the manual. I mean it's art nouveau with anime cake sprinkles but that really stood out in a world of airbrushed genre cheesecake.

Plus it makes sense as armor, it's just got a lot of decoration. The FFTA2 kid looks like he's wearing a Sexy Ronald McDonald halloween costume with 100 lbs of accessories and a sword that can play laserdiscs.