Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of my little things is replaying Shovel Knight. There are a lot of little things (Watch Me Dance!) but one that stands out from a mechanical standpoint is that if you die but kill the enemy with a projectile or something with a delay, you revive and still win. It's just a nice little detail. Game as a whole is remarkably tight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I think you can do this in one of the dragon quest games, I want to say 6, where if you beat the optional Super boss (literally God) before killing the final boss, God comes down and kills the final boss for you when the battle starts

It's more like Gigasatan, but yeah, if you beat him in less than twenty turns he just clowns one of the hardest final bosses in the series effortlessly for you as a request IIRC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Edit: Nevermind, kinda files territory for an unrelated thread.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

bewilderment posted:

No, Final Fantasy IX is good about this because they're not 'unwinnable fights', they're fights that make you lose after you do the right amount of damage.

They work just like normal boss fights. You do enough damage to make the boss's HP zero and then the fight ends. The fight ending cutscene in this case is just the boss saying "No more games" and then splattering you, but you play normally to get there.

If I remember correctly the fights in question work both ways; if you do enough damage OR reach enough turns in the fight it ends, but also that boss is the only story one that can just choose to kill a full HP properly leveled character with Shock which yeah is obviously annoying

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of sick flips I always really liked how one of the attacks in Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows is also just the screw attack from Metroid

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Celeste is such a fantastic game. More hard games should want you to succeed the way Celeste does.

I really unironically appreciate how one of those load screen captions is just “dying a whole lot just means you tried really hard! You should be proud of yourself!”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gann Jerrod posted:

In Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, there’s an area where you need to surf or fly to leave at a certain point in the game. A player tried to create an unwinnable situation by going to this area while having only one Pokémon with a non-combat move, and the developers actually thought of that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=H73ESn6VYvI

I saw this on Twitter, apparently it’s there in the remakes to fix the soft lock that would actually happen in GSC.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s more of a company thing than a game thing, but I really appreciate how most games from Falcom have enemies give experience based on the level difference between you and the enemy. I usually get a little anxious that I’m not at the “intended” level so having monsters just give nearly no experience when you are overleveled is cool, as is being able to catch up when you’re underleveled in a very short amount of time.

I don’t think I’ve seen that mechanic super widespread, the fifth generation of Pokémon games started doing it (although it skipped a generation; it’s gone in X/Y but back in Sun/Moon onward) but nothing else I can really remember.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, iirc Japan has no problem with how rear end FF5/6 look, they were genuinely perplexed when it was brought up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve been playing Witcher 3, and one of my favorite little things is that the ingame log of quests is written by the main character’s best friend, Dandelion. Which means a lot of time he has a passive aggressive attitude towards the dumber stuff Geralt does, like if you find a side quest by stumbling into a corpse with a hint of some treasure nearby he’ll usually say “Geralt, in his seeming obsession to investigate every corpse he happens upon, found a hint for some treasure”, or if the story’s currently about him he’ll embellish the hell out of stuff.

I’m guessing there’s a half dozen posts about him though, huh. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lol that Dandelion’s immediate reaction is to just apply lovely psychology to it instead of just assuming his friend was tripping dickballs and saw some weird poo poo. I kinda assumed he was the kinda dude to take a puff of not-weed from time to time with Triss but clearly not.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In Witcher 3 there’s a side quest to find a giant cat that’s stealing merchants’ food. Relatively unsurprisingly, it’s a doppelgänger. What WAS surprising was that I did the quest at the point in the game where I needed to find my doppler friend for rescue mission and had the option to ask the culprit to do it instead. He refuses, but it’s still really impressive that the game is as big as it is and fully voiced and still thought of a little thing that people would normally just have a laugh about after trying it on their second playthrough for shits and giggles and gave the option to keep the narrative relatively tight, like really impressive.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I decided to boot up that Horizon: Zero Recollection game game y’all are talking about, and I think I’ve seen it mentioned before but it’s a really cute detail that the grass you use for cover is tipped red like the protagonists hair so it makes a lot of sense why dumb robo dinos can’t see her.

Also I remember some controversy about Aloy looking ugly and she seems like a normal pretty woman to me so idk what the gently caress is up with that but this game seems cool so far about an hour in!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You: Aloy looks creepy and inhuman, uncanny valley

Me, an intellectual: Aloy is a fresh clone, of course she looks UV

lmfao, I guess this is what I get for bringing up this whole subject, major plot spoilers literally right after meeting the All-Mother.

i kinda figured that was the case though or something like it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm a dumbass. What are VLR and ZTD?

Virtue’s Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma, the sequels to 999

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I have another moment in Witcher 3. At one point you stumble into a mansion whose magic security goes haywire, and one of the traps is a series of monster summons. After the third wave had a werewolf (very strong, constantly regenerate health) I was groaning inwardly thinking “what the hell is next?”

Out pops a cow. They could have just not summoned anything else but they put in a dumb joke, which got a good laugh out of me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda felt like stealing tbh, I didn’t remember seeing any just chilling just in the wild. It’d be pretty hilarious if cows were also high level enemies like bears that could take on a whole mob of nekkers singlehandedly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I can’t believe Witcher 3 let me go on a drunken bender with my Witcher bros culminating in us dressed in drag unsuccessfully trying to call up some girls before my girlfriend walks in on us using the magic phone call

Like, they really didn’t have to but they did. The mad lads.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feel like Hades' whole deal is to actually encourage the people who play roguelites over and over to see all the content and try out different playstyles by also giving them story progress for doing so, but in turn makes it tricky for people more interested in the story than the gameplay because they're almost inevitably going to get sick of it. (and vice versa)

Tbf they added God Mode for the latter. I guess it really sucks for people who aren’t onboard with the dialogue/characters/subplots tho, although I guess you can mash X faster than even doing a souped up God Mode run enough times to brute force your way to the epilogue.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In NEO: The World Ends With You, there’s a sort of combo system where fulfilling an attack-dependent condition opens up a window for another person to attack and boost the limit break bath, and there’s a line of dialogue for each potential combo depending on who initiates/follows up, which is kinda impressive since there’s eventually six party members with the option to pick up a seventh in the postgame . It’s the kinda thing that would suck with worse voice acting and I wouldn’t blame someone for not liking it as is but most of the lines put a dumb smile on my face.

“That didn’t totally suck”
“I know, right!?”

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Okay, so Dragon Quest VII's basic premise has a shitton of time travel, where you're going to the past, stopping the volcano/curse/monsters/etc and then returning to the present so you can party with the no-longer-dead locals. During one of these incidents the High Priest promises to spend his life developing the ultimate support magic. If you go to the present and visit the High Priest's grave, you'll find out he's done exactly that and get The Great Leveler, a spell which knocks out most of an enemies' buffs. Now you can end it there, but the fun part is that you can go back to the past, speak to the High Priest again, show him The Great Leveler, and tell him it's not good enough. Now if you return to the present and visit this guy's grave again, he has made an improved version of the same magic, which strips all buffs from everyone and disables magic for two turns. This is probably kinda long for "little things in games" but the core premise of telling a man that his life's work sucks and he needs to do it better this time amuses me greatly.

lol, really? That reminds of another little thing.

So, early on in Dragon Quest VII, you go to a village holding a festival for its fire deity on a volcano or some such, and it’s not going according to plan. The whole time when the option to help comes up, you can mash “no” like a dick.

Only, this is one of the only times in the series this is a bad thing (being an rear end in a top hat like this also inconveniences you in VI) because the whole time the party calls you an rear end in a top hat for refusing to help, right up until the volcano is about to erupt and you’d normally go into its depths to kill the fire demon trying to gently caress everything up. Then the volcano erupts!

And then you wake up in bed the morning before, because it was all a dream and your party members comment on you looking shaken up like you saw a volcano explode. It’s just a neat little thing that there’s at least one quest where just saying “no” is like a whole bad ending in a more significant way than loving up in DQ1.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kinda overrated imho, if you’re good at the game you get less dialogue from Asterius and Hypnos so sucking actually means you have more fun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Are you using the keepsakes? I’m not gonna say it’s impossible to not get the boons needed for a build even after equipping the relevant god’s keepsake to guarantee them showing up cause it has happened to me, but it’s pretty insanely bad luck if you’ve been doing that and they just don’t ever offer a cast to you after using the mirror option that lets you reroll gods.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Also I’m not super familiar with Ultimate besides following the trailers but I appreciate that they gave Sora his Timeless River skin as an alt.

poo poo, are we allowed to cite “Ultimate trailers” as our favorite little things cause there’s a lot of deep cuts that are really great, like how DK/Diddy’s bugging out is the same way they bug out in the DKC boss fights.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

American McDonald's used to have pizza. Yakuza 0 is set in that time frame I think

Well drat, I always just thought he wanted pizza from there because he’s a moron, that’s a little disappointing given it’s my favorite substory in the series for how absurd it is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of Yakuza 0, my favorite little thing is that enemies literally bleed money in fights because it’s the bubble economy. Even beyond the hilarity it’s extremely cathartic to beat an enemy and just have a flood of money pour out.

Also, for Deltarune Chapter 1 and 2 (probably don’t read unless you’re done because it’s a pretty good joke)

so halfway Chapter 1, you’re asked to Make A Machine To Thrash Your Own rear end by choosing various parts to make a battle tank/ducky. The sequence is pretty funny but Chapter 1’s been out for a while so that’s not the spoiler.

In Chapter 2, your machine gets dug out of the trash and actually gets used against you in a game of Not-Monopoly. Which is again pretty great but then after that it gets reused as the head of your giant friendship robot in the final boss fight, rear end Thrasher’s Punchout.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

overeager overeater posted:

I would love to know how many people (Chapter 1) actually build a robot instead of immediately picking all of the duck options

to be honest I assumed the duck was a trap on my first playthrough of Chapter 1, like it wouldn’t be out there for Toby Fox to make the crappy duck the game tells you is crappy to secretly be the hard mode version of the upcoming fight, but also it wasn’t really out there for the tank that I painstakingly crafted for maximum stat spread to immediately blow the gently caress up.

Definitely went with the duck tank on my second run that took me to Chapter 2 though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah that definitely reads as “unfortunately worded” if he remarried and his post is talking about his daughter from his new wife basically in passing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, once you hit a certain point it’s just “hope you’re doing the side game!” cause a single end of chapter reward is weaker than a single payout from real estate.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kanfy posted:

After a while I did basically the opposite, consumables made bosses so easy due to you basically having infinite health at all times that I made it a self-imposed challenge to beat them without using any.

Also the Mr. Shakedown trick only works with Kiryu IIRC, Majima doesn't have the required ability in his unlocks.

It doesn’t work but there’s a workaround in that you can eventually transfer money to Majima and even without the trick Kiryu makes way more than him. Majima’s game is more fun to actively engage with, but even with his skill tree costing less it’s a lot harder to level him since you can spend real estate loving off to do side content for Kiryu.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Kingdom Hearts III is probably still worse than 2 for me but there’s a few things that make my second playthrough much more enjoyable (even if I could write a whole mini essay in the Dragging Down thread):

- it has a New Game+ that lets you carry your acquired weapons, for people who haven’t played the game each weapon has a limit break attached to it that transforms your weapon, there’s some overlapping weapons but still like seven or eight different weapons that change how you play so that’s pretty cool. It’s making the highest difficulty feeling properly balanced compared to before where I remember having issues doing damage.

- being able to upgrade weapons in general was a really good choice.

- there’s a whole open world space exploration game. Kingdom Hearts III is kinda packed with content and some of that feels poorly implemented (Lucky Emblems, cooking being a minigame you can fail) but the Gummi Ship missions are pretty great especially since dicking around in space can give upgrade materials for your weapon in the main story

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vandar posted:

This wouldn't be so bad if some of the rarer ingredients weren't so far out of the way and didn't require you to sit through several long loading screens to get through. :argh:

What's wrong with Lucky Emblems?

Like, the idea of going on a huge scavenger hunt combing through worlds for them is pretty cool, especially since some of them are really well done stuff like three tree stumps that look like Mickey, but your party members are hardly ever consistent in going “there’s a lucky emblem here!” and they really should have at least had it be an option to have a little icon telling you you’re close to one tied to an accessory if you’re gonna have top tier swag behind it.

I guess “poorly implemented” is the wrong word, but the big scavenger hunt side quests in 1/2 were pretty doable just playing normally whereas this is a big exploration side quest in enormous open environments and some of those environments are samey.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

The pocket circuit activity in Yakuza Kiwami is far more entertaining than it has any right to be. Despite the fact you have very limited control over the actual races, the process of testing and tweaking builds for each course was actually really satisfying. It helps that they obviously spent way too much time on the physics engine for a minor activity that most people will ignore.

Yakuza in general just seems to just deluge the player in side content in hopes that some of it resonates with someone. Like, hostess stuff (aside from Caberet Club Czar, obviously) is usually something I have near zero interest in because it usually costs lots of money and that’s only sometimes flowing free and clear, but it’s still kinda amazing that they made a wholeass dating sim on top of the other stuff they make in every Yakuza that they can’t copy/paste like golfing/bowling. Which, yeah, is definitely A Little Thing.

Also yeah, Pocket Car Jockey is pretty cool cause it’s secretly a puzzle game where you meticulously weigh the customizable parts against whatever track you’re trying to clear.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shiroc posted:

I'm playing Metroid Dread and I really love how the movement feels in it. The slide is a nice addition.

My brain keeps skipping a little bit on all of the morph ball locations that aren't available since this one apparently gives it to you much later. So used to it being the first thing.

I only played the demo (there’s a lot on my backlog) but it’s such a cool mechanic to have a poor man’s version of the morph ball baked in so that you can still do some stuff with tiny gaps but have part of the game open up when you get what’s normally literally the first upgrade the same as it does with the ice beam/gravity suit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Can confirm; as one of the translators for KH2 we had a ton of E-mails coming in on the regular from Disney informing our final product and in-person meetings with them at least once a week. It wasn't too bad, mostly because it's not like we started out with, you know, Mickey in chains with a tommy gun and needed to be talked out of it. But between that and another small Disney-only game series I worked on, Disney does have a bunch of rules for their IP, even down to things like "Mickey says 'everybody,' not 'everyone,' but it's the other way around for Goofy" (or whatever). It simplifies things in a lot of ways.

Slightly off topic, but would love to hear more anecdotes in general about translating something like Kingdom Hearts if you have the time/inclination. Or even that other game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lost Judgement: Yakuza games often have a problem where there are random encounters that don’t serve any purpose because there’s a chance you get some yen or a consumable. Lost Judgement fixes this issue by making random encounters give the usual lovely amount of experience and then a potentially huge bonus based on stuff like if you used all three of the fighting styles to KO an enemy, playing efficiently and generally just experimenting and using as much of your options as possible.

Also the combat’s been tweaked to flow better in general, so it’s one of the only times playing a Yakuza where I’ve been actively seeking enemies out to fight that wasn’t the 0’s “enemies bleed money” or Yakuza 2 Kiwami’s “eat food for stat experience, burn the calories beating up goons” systems.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Miyazaki likes that imagery so much that the weird pilgrim NPCs have a huge turtle shell strapped to their backs, and in the ringed city DLC there are cleric enemies that crawl around on their bellies and retreat into their shell to heal.

They're really annoying. They make your weapons deflect and do surprising amounts of damage. The trick is to kick them over.

gently caress, my greatest weakness!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My favorite Elden Ring thing so far is that poo poo’s extremely dangerous if I veer even slightly off the telegrapher path but I have a magic ghost horse that functions as a “nope nope nope nope getting the gently caress out of dodge” button. Like when i fought a weak soldier and it turned into a giant loving bear after killing it that nearly mauled me even with my horse.

It’s cool that From just made “running from everything” into a dedicated gameplay option.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t believe Elden Ring is a stealth sequel to Bloodborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s an area in Elden Ring that just looks like the poison swamp from DS3 and the Nightmare Frontier had a baby near the Duke’s Archives and I think that’s just swell. I think someone else mentioned it but it deserves another, because what the gently caress happened, I guess I’m gonna be binging lore videos for a while.

Also this game is gonna give ymfah enough content for like a hundred shitpost challenge videos so it’s also probably gonna be my GOTY for that.