Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hopping on the PYF fav VGM train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbsI9xFuo8

Blaring organ? Check?
Ominous chanting? Check.
Prog rock? Check.
Heavy percussion? Check.
Japanese rap?! Check.

If you like that song, this is pretty much the (more traditional) prelude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Speaking of ambitious music, most composers for the Game Boy settled for 25 second loops. Not the guy composing the title theme for the first Robocop game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

I wasn't the only person who liked that song growing up: http://kotaku.com/5885431/what-do-robocop-washing-machines-dilbert--lil-b-have-in-common

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The latest addition to Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard's MOBA) is Cho'gall, a two-headed ogre from the Warcraft universe. Being a two-headed ogre he also requires two players to play, one of them in charge of the walking and clobbering and the other essentially being a mage turret.

It's pretty funny since one of Blizzard's past April Fool jokes was about playing a two-headed ogre in World of Warcraft. The reason I bring it up though is because how Cho'Gall handles usernames. In Heroes of the Storm your name hovers over the character you are playing, but in the case of Cho'gall you have two players occupying one character. The way it handles is this is by chopping up both names and turning it into a name appropriate for an ogre. For example, if I were to team-up with somebody called WeedlordMcBlazeit, the name you'd see in-game would be either Mie'zeit or Wee'uker. It's a pretty funny addition to an already unique character.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't played Fallout 4 but I think it would have been amazing if they intentionally made the looking for your son quest irrelevant. The idea is that you spend some time looking for him and finally you get a clue that leads to his location. At this point you find out he is an adult, living in the "tutorial town". In fact, you might have talked to him once only to find out he wasn't a noteworthy NPC. When you confront him it turns out you and him have nothing in common since he has spent the overwhelming majority of his life without you. At which point the player character realizes he/she is no longer the person who walked into the vault and got cryogenically frozen. What a poignant moment...

You then just continue questing like you were already doing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

It's such shame that the nemesis system doesn't really seem to have caught on.

Game development takes a while, you know.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

1 also had "no, you don't understand, I have nothing" from those beggar ladies who would get in your face as soon as you got near them. I think everybody who played that game killed some of them with the assassin's blade at a certain point, because holy poo poo did that get annoying.

On a whole that game suffered a lot from repetition. It really felt like a proof of concept where they spent so much time on the core mechanics that they had to rush the content. It worked out for the games afterwards though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Who owns the right to that game BTW? I notice it still isn't available for purchase on gog.com

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

He was a pretty awesome character, but he had a hard time competing with the space wizards for your active party slots.

It didn't help that Force Heal doesn't affect droids either.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Another fun moment in a different game was the broom closet sequence in the Stanley Parable. It's my fah-voh-rite! :downs:

I like how it is boarded shut in consecutive playthroughs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4mB5J0bDE

"Good, Rico! :thumbsup:"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

Running up the stairway, as a hot pink blur of metal and death, is Sully "Motherfucking" Mathis.

That was some good schadenfreude, thanks for sharing that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

redweird posted:

My cousin would always pick Oddjob and we would always hit him with our fists until he switched

In the game or in real life?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZU5hIFT4-s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasnt that two-player Ogre Mage mechanic originally considered for WoW?

That was one of Blizzard's April Fools jokes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Steve Shultz posted:

The first time I played I turned off the (ingame) TV that was giving me my first mission briefing the instant my boss started talking to me and went '....ok gently caress what do I do?'

The dialogue you get if you do this is great though. Your character says something arrogantly about how he can handle things himself and your boss essentially goes "wait, what" before being cut off.

Polaron posted:

I don't think you bone Conrad's daughter. Conrad is probably gay, judging by some completely optional commentary when you infiltrate his mansion. That chick is someone else's daughter and if Conrad causes something bad to happen to her you can tell her father and he goes apeshit on Conrad, which leads to one of the few times Conrad's unflappable demeanor shatters. The other time being, of course, your example.

It's the daughter of the intel guy at Alpha Protocol.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

You can also slide-kick people, which is pretty hilarious for a game where everyone has guns and you can go into bullet time on command.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Blizzard's Hearthstone has had the following card since day one.

For those who don't play the game, it costs 3 mana has 5 attack and 1 health. It's not a good card, since that one point of health means it's going to die to pretty much everything and make no impact (it can't attack on the turn it is summoned). In fact, there even was statistical data from the developer that it was the worst card in the game (a dubious honor it had for a loooong time).

They ended up adding this card to The Grand Tournament expansion.

It's flavor text is "He's a lot cooler than Magma Rager" to drive the point further home (and even this superior card is rarely ever played).

They are close to releasing another expansion which features some "corrupted" versions of existing cards. Today they revealed this card.

:allears:

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Apr 21, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Haha, I totally forgot about that. Poor ol' Magma Rager, forever useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lrMe_nOvsg&t=8s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

King's Field: Demon's Souls 3: Dark Souls 2: Jedi Outcast

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

So they need to patch Patches' pathing on the Cathedral path?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

One of my favorite little things about Overwatch is characters being interrupted if they die mid-sentence. Pharah can unleash a barrage of rockets as her ultimate and she announces it with the line "Justice rains from above!". It's not uncommon for her to get sniped doing it and so you end up hearing "JUSTICE RAINS FR...*deathrattle*".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Alhazred posted:

The trophies for the Uncharted series has always been fun. The fact that many of them are stupid puns makes it even better (if you slap someone with a fish you get the "call the sturgeon" trophy for example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ9LI3Xzrls

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I like how even when they added Workshop support to Pirtal 2 they added like 10 minutes of new JK Simmons voice acting for it.

25 whole minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPWs6ioNZoI

Chariots, chariots.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:03 on May 26, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

My favorite little thing is the Achievement you get in the 360 version for making out with a boy 20 times. :getin:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/bully-scholarship-edition/achievement/13570-OVER-THE-RAINBOW.html

Be sure to read some of those wonderful comments from people earning meaningless points in a video game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

In Fallout: New Vegas any items left in a Mojave Express dropbox can be accessed from any other Mojave Express dropbox, like the item boxes from Resident Evil.

Before I played New Vegas I asked what a good spot was to store my loot really early on. Somebody mentioned those to me and explained how they worked. It prompted like three replies from other people who put many hours into the game and had no idea about their functionality.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I already love the logo for the new Resident Evil game. Driv3r and F.3.A.R. ain't got nothing on this.

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/742547710612492288

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

This music is so "big and fat" and it reminds me of something I can't quite place. Maybe Fantasia.

It's an arrangement of the Fat Chocobo theme from Final Fantasy IV, as was mentioned before.

It might also remind you of this piece, which is popular for YouTube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbdutn8Q1T0

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

No he's an out of touch dad to a tiny gremlin named D.Va.

I love what the community has done to the characters. It's so dumb and fantastic.

original
And for those who don't play Overwatch, Biotic Field is one of his abilities in which he throws down an area of effect heal.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think he was hired to punch up the script for Advent Rising but all the promo stuff made it sound like he wrote the entire thing.

Of course those promos also talked about meaningful choices (do you save your girlfriend or your brother?) when that was the only choice there was.

And then there was that million dollar contest that used Xbox Live, which had be halted because of "technical difficulties" (because technically the game wasn't selling that much).

It's a fun game, but ooh boy was it a train-wreck from a publisher's side of things. I'd direct you to the site but it seems somebody else took over the domain adventtrilogy.com

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm loving the short conversations you get between characters in Overwatch even you're waiting in spawn for the game to start. Every one is just a cute little glimpse into the relationships of the team.

Big German shield dude: "You kids and your techno music! You should be listening to the classics, like Hasselhoff!"
Brazilian DJ support dude: "I can't even take you seriously right now."

Reaper, looks like he is designed by your brooding 14 year old nephew while listening to death metal: "Poor Winston. Has to hide away so he doesn't scare the children."
Winston, well-spoken gorilla scientist: "I don't think even children are afraid of you."

Also, if Mercy (most healiest of healers) kills someone with a melee hit she says "you might not want to tell your friends about that" to further rub in that you were slapped to death by a support.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jul 3, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

VanSandman posted:

It Batman: Arkham Knight, I laugh every time two goons are talking to each other because it's Steve Blum talking to himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Note that you don't have to be Matthew Mercer to troll people. You need a high quality audio clip and find a way to broadcast it with the in-game voice chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uWlNjm4lA

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Jul 5, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Double Agent had two different versions and the general consensus is that the "next-gen" version was the inferior one. Little details like that are a confirmation of that.

Edit: "There are two separate versions of Double Agent. One version was made by Ubisoft Shanghai, who developed Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and was released on the Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, and PlayStation 3. The other version was made by Ubisoft Montreal (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory) and was released for the Xbox, PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube and Wii. The Ubisoft Shanghai version features a completely custom engine while the Ubisoft Montreal version plays more like the classic Splinter Cell games. The games share the same general plot but feature different storylines, plot twists, and levels. They do however, share the same background music, a few cut scenes and all voice actors. The version for mobile phones was developed by Gameloft." -Wikipedia

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I like the other effects too. Enemies are forced to attack it first (like Taunt in Hearthstone I guess) and he won't shut up can't be silenced.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Self-aware achievements are great. In Saints Row 2 one of the activities is Mayhem where you need to destroy as much as possible in a limited amount of time. Each thing you destroy has it's own score value but generally you want many targets instead of high value targets, because this increases your score multiplier and prevents the combo counter from timing out. Now the easiest way to pull that off is to destroy fences since each fence post counts as a separate target. You can just drop remote explosives all over a neighborhood, hit the detonator to destroy all those fences and rack up a big score multiplier. It'll also instantly draw a lot of police attention so you can start destroying their vehicles to keep the combo going.

The sequel Saints Row III has an achievement for completing all the Mayhem activities. It's called Fence Killa 2011.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

It's been over-referenced to hell at this point, but when the game was still new it was fantastic.

GLaDOS: Well, this is the part where he kills us.

Wheatley: Hello! This is the part where I kill you!

Chapter 9 - The Part Where He Kills You

Achievement: The Part Where He Kills You (Achievement Description: This is that part)

Soundtrack: The Part Where He Kills You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXrgDDLpYw&t=60s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Out of context SS13 posts are my favorite posts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go play the Director's Cut of HR. They fixed the Boss fights so they all have non-combat alternate solutions. Generally involving activating turrets, B.O.X. Robots, or gas traps to do the work for you.

And if you do play it (definitely do) note that in Hong Kong you should not have the new bio-chip installed, otherwise you have to brute force a later boss fight.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

D.Va is not so much a child, more of a Doritos-munching & Mountain Dew-chugging gremlin who was raised by people on Xbox Live.

I felt like that should be clarified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

My third time through I had a dumb gimmick and my beloved was the dwarf jester. It was the best.

Spoiler alert (also don't watch this with your mom looking over your shoulder, it gets hot and heavy halfway through)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o