Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Morpheus posted:

Just started Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Reloaded Revival Reckoning yesterday, and I am loving those voice tracks that kick in for the climax of the boss battles.

If you listen, the voice tracks will talk about that boss's motivation and backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

carry on then posted:

I rewrote them and still got that outcome. There's probably more than one way, but you do have to do quite a lot.

Straight from the Mass Effect wiki:

Note: The Reputation check's requirements are complex. First, there are factors which seem to be purely pass/fail; missing even one of them flunks the Reputation check:

Shepard must have at least four bars of Reputation.
Tali and Legion must both be present, which requires an imported save from Mass Effect 2. If no save was imported, Tali will have been exiled and will not be able to support Shepard with an Admiral's authority, while Legion will not appear at all.
The mission Rannoch: Geth Fighter Squadrons must be completed.

Additionally, there are other factors which build up Shepard's trustworthiness to both parties; if Shepard has not done enough of them, the Commander will not have the groundswell of goodwill needed to moderate a cease-fire. According to the official Prima Games guide, each factor has a certain "point" value, and at least 5 "points" are necessary for the cease-fire to occur. These factors are:

(+2 points) Destroying the heretic geth in Legion: A House Divided. In shipboard conversation, you can ask Legion about the repercussions of your decision, and it will mention that the absence of the Heretics made the consensus to join the "Old Machines" more difficult to achieve. Geth forces are also considerably weakened without the aid of the Heretics, giving the Migrant Fleet an edge in the battle and reducing the quarians' overall casualties.
(+2 points) Preventing Tali's exile in Tali: Treason without presenting evidence of Admiral Rael'Zorah's experiments on the geth. While it's possible to present the evidence and still be able to broker peace, it adds its own problem in that it makes Tali far less likely to survive the attack on the Collector Base.
(+1 point) Brokering a peace in the Tali/Legion loyalty argument. If the player did not have sufficient Paragon/Renegade points at that time, loyalty of either Tali or Legion would have been lost. In that case -- even if loyalty had been regained later -- this "point" will not count towards the five needed to pass the Reputation check (and broker the ceasefire).
(+1 point) Completing Rannoch: Admiral Koris.
(+1 point) Saving Admiral Koris during Rannoch: Admiral Koris.

So yeah. Say what you want about the game's ending, but your past choices certainly affected other things.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Fallout: New Vegas

Cass: "Now let's go find Gloria and make that bitch eat her hair."

Objective: Find Gloria Van Graff at the Silver Rush and make that bitch eat her hair.

Possibly the funniest game objective I have ever seen, just because of the perfect comedic timing of it popping up right after Cass says her line.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
In Dragon Age: Inquisition, there's a dragon in a starting area that's likely going to be the first dragon you end up fighting. As you run through the valley it lives in, it keeps flying by overhead and divebombing you with fire with you're assaulted by smaller dragonlings.

Then you reach the big open area where it's made its home. You see the dragon land in the distance, and then the music starts.

Slowly at first. And then as you get closer, the music starts getting more and more intense. And then when it really kicks into gear, your characters enter the arena proper and unsheathe their weapons. It does an amazing job of pumping you up to fight this giant creature the size of a house.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Suspicious Cook posted:

Even when they don't own the rights to them. If you fail a certain quick time event in W101 enough times, Wonder Pink's cellphone conversation is slowed to real time and you can listen to her gossiping with Silvia about Joe. :allears:

Sylvia is Wonder-Cheerleader.

Which of course means that they're talking on the phone while being about eight feet away from each other :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sleeveless posted:

In ME2 I liked that one of the side missions ends with you randomly finding a Prothean beacon, one of the macguffins that you spent the entire first game hunting down. It was a little thing but it really drove home how big the universe was, that years later people were still digging up the things.

Since it's a more intact beacon than the one in the first game, it even spoils the big twist about the Collectors (though you probably don't realize it at the time)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Byzantine posted:

I'd like to play a game where you work for The Empire or morally grey organization and you don't wind up getting betrayed by your bosses and joining the Noble Resistance/taking over for yourself.

TIE Fighter. Start to end, you are an Imperial fighter pilot. Granted, you do end up doing a lot of less evil things like stopping a civil war or hunting down pirates but you also kill a ton of Rebels.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

I don't think it was an experimental prototype, tons of people in the game have them, and it's not made only for killing. It's much stronger than a normal human arm and has the built-in blades, and that certainly is an advantage for killing, but it's not the only thing you can do. It also makes tons of other stuff easier. I can't imagine why you would not want a super awesome robot arm.

I dunno, man, I think anyone someone hugs or touches or has sex with is going to want to feel warm actual flesh over hard, cold metal and plastic.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kimmalah posted:

Straight into the ground probably because that hover platform was really a terrible vehicle.

The F-104 Starfighter was a plane that actually flew in combat and had nicknames ranging from "Lawn Dart" to "Flying Coffin" because of its annoying tendency to fall out of the sky. It killed a Brigadier General and nearly killed Chuck Yeager.

That hover platform going into active service isn't as far-fetched as you'd want to believe.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

William Bear posted:

Fable 3 has a clever secret where your personal treasure room has a key in an elevated chamber. If you have a certain (large) amount of gold, you can walk up a hill of gold to get it.

Isn't the chest the key unlocks under the gold pile, so to unlock it you have to amass that huge personal fortune and then spend it all?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Except it is plot-relevant because Krem's homeland is very stratified along gender roles, so his desire to join the military despite being born female informs the sort of person he is (and Tevinter's response fleshes out the sort of nation it is).

Also, your character only asks dumb questions about it if you make them do it. You don't have to click every single dialogue option.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Anatharon posted:

Speaking of, did the DD sequel turn into that Japan only MMO?

Seems so.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

My only exposure to Ace Combat was Assault Horizon or whatever? The one that is apparently really different from all the other and has a bunch of other vehicles other than planes? Maybe i need to see if i can find 5/Zero at my local used games store.

Assault Horizon wasn't bad, it was just very different (helicopters, bombers, being set in the real world). I actually enjoy Assault Horizon quite a bit, though not nearly as much as AC5 or Zero.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

3 posted:

Did you forget about Dogfight Mode? I wouldn't have even cared about the other additions or not being set in Strangereal, but DFM was a completely atrocious and unnecessary addition to the franchise. It was a shame too, because the new graphics and damage engine they rigged up for AH was absolutely gorgeous.

I actually didn't mind dogfight mode. It made fighting aces more interesting than "Endlessly circle hoping to land a QRM shot", which was always sort of a problem with the earlier games.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One of the things Destiny got criticized for was how you needed to grind the Strikes (big missions requiring a team) to get anything and how that got really repetitive really quickly.

All of the Taken King Strikes seem to have multiple variations that can be played through, including different dialogue and even different enemies/objectives.

For example, one Strike on Mars requires you to fight your way up a skyscraper filled with enemies. The first time through, one of the objectives involved destroying these giant gun turrets and the place was filled with evil robots called Vex. My second time through, the gun turrets were gone (since they belonged to the Vex) and I had to fight my way through a running firefight between the Cabal (giant space marine walrus rhinos) and Taken (the new enemy faction made up of members of the other factions).

It really goes a long way towards making things feel less repetitive.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Sep 20, 2015

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Calaveron posted:

The SABER strike has a lot of differing dialogue for your Ghost, too. In one instance he complimented Rasputin (an AI defense weapon that is super important to the world because he basically has tons of hidden space weapons everywhere) on living in a giant bunker full of defense mechanisms while lamenting that he lives in your backpack.

I love the new Ghost. He sounds so genuinely excited to be helping you.

"Hey, do you ever think we shouldn't have woken the Hive? But then we'd never have had such great times with those guys!"

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
To be fair, the ultimate villain of Jade Empire is actually Open Palm if you pay attention to what he's saying and doing, so there's two moments where Bioware actually paid attention to that initial explanation.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
At one point in Fallout 4, you can encounter the U.S.S. Constitution, retrofitted with rocket boosters and stuck for the past few years on top of a Savings and Loan.

It's run aground on a bank. :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

princecoo posted:

A few days later I returned and found the fucker had somehow climbed onto the roof of the building and abandoned it there. Trashcan Carlas brahmin had gotten up there too.

I can't wait until the GECK comes out so people can go in and untangle that specific building's pathfinding because getting NPCs to do anything there is nearly impossible. The navmesh must look like a gordian knot facefucking a plate of spaghetti. People and brahmin constantly end up on the roof and ordering your companions to move anywhere near the garage results in constant "I can't do that". I once told one of my companions to hop into a suit of power armor that was in the garage there, turned around for a second, turned back and she was on the roof telling me she couldn't reach the armor, which had been three feet from her.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Olaf The Stout posted:

My favorite villian in my megabeard autistic swamphat James Bond-wanna-be playhrough was Conrad... something? The main dude in Rome. He by far was the most psychologically damaged by my relentless corny dad jokes. Conrad is a local leader of an international mega-evil corporate conspiracy blah blah blah. What's great about him is he is a robotic professional but has no empathy or understanding of people. He promotes the wrong people all the time because he can't read them and talks like dorky competent robot, but he is an amazing agent and field worker. Basically he got promoted above his competency level, which shows how good obsidian writers are.

Anyway this dude was emotionally destroyed by my relentless assault of puns, cocky bluffs, and embarrassingly unfunny jokes. He hated me so much, that as his plans exploded all around him, he abandoned his professional "live again to fight another day" mentality to fistfight me in an exploding museum. With tears of rage in his eyes. Too bad the game is broken and I chain-headshot him 12 times before he could move, like I do to every boss in the game.

You can pun his eulogy and bone his daughter. I didn't bone her though because she was so offput by my relentless pun-nyness that she fled the safe room when I announced her fathers death with a pun and I never saw her again.

I don't think you bone Conrad's daughter. Conrad is probably gay, judging by some completely optional commentary when you infiltrate his mansion. That chick is someone else's daughter and if Conrad causes something bad to happen to her you can tell her father and he goes apeshit on Conrad, which leads to one of the few times Conrad's unflappable demeanor shatters. The other time being, of course, your example.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Canemacar posted:

Good point. It does have a "evil that dwells here" vibe to it that works for the haunted mansion thing from the first.

The Evil Within, one might say? :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Calaveron posted:

I interpreted it more as Doomguy closely examining it in a "so this is the poo poo that siphons hell energy and endangers all of humanity? Can I disable it just by breaking it yup I can"

I am amazed at how much character they managed to get into Doomguy just through body language. Like the bit near the start while Hayden is droning on about what they did being for the betterment of mankind, prompting Doomguy to glance down at a corpse by his feet.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CJacobs posted:

Even at the very very beginning when Hayden's like "weeee can workkk togetherrrrr" and Doomguy's just like "gently caress outta here" to the monitor he's chatting through :allears:

My favorite bit is during the Cyberdemon cutscene, when he and Doomguy are sizing each other up and Doomguy just flexes his hands like "Oh. You again. Okay, let's do this."

DOOM is such a great game and they need to release some expansion packs already.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In the Deus Ex HR DLC I was expecting the boss to be as bad as all the main game ones. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to just turn invisible and stab him in the head.

Speaking of, there's a boss in Human Revolution who hides behind a pane of bulletproof glass and forces you to engage in an apparently rather annoying bossfight.

Unless you have the laser rifle, which will shoot right through the glass and kill her instantly because lasers are made of light, and the bulletproof glass is clear.

That was the first thing I tried my only time playing through the game. I've literally never done the boss fight "correctly".

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

swordfish duelist posted:

WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS

:byodood: Soaked to the bone!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Telltale Batman episode 3 just released and I love how DC apparently gave Telltale carte blanche to go nuts with established characters.

Thomas and Martha Wayne were brutal gangsters. Carmine Falcone gets capped by Renee Montoya. One of my choices apparently prevented the creation of Two-Face.

None of these things would fly in your usual Batman: Year One story and it's great. I have no idea where the story's going to go now, which is not what I was expecting in a game about Batman's early years.

Also, and I feel this is important: no goddamn Joker. That cackling plot vortex is nowhere to be seen so far, thank god.

Polaron has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Nov 3, 2016

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

poptart_fairy posted:

Your third thing in particular is something I want to rave about a little.

In this timeline it's heavily implied that Harvey Dent is schizophrenic and bipolar, but this gets played with depending on whether or not you prevent his scarring. While this is a Telltale game and I have no doubt even an "uninjured" Harvey will eventually become mutilated, whether you save him or not significantly changes the reasoning behind why his schizophrenia becomes a full-on mania.

If you save him: He becomes extremely paranoid that he's going to be attacked again, and his split personality preys on that, pushing him towards turning Gotham into a police state and demanding more extreme sentencing for criminals as he settles into his mayoral role. When he discovers Bruce and Selina together he becomes angry and sees it as a betrayal because they could have been planning anything behind his back, and what if Bruce has ties to crime like his parents? What'll happen? He goes absolutely nuts and a genuinely angry person, lashing out indiscriminately.

If you don't save him, he falls into a massive depression and the split personality preys on his "weakness as a man" that he was unable to defend himself, that he thinks he won't be able to protect the city, etc. While Gotham isn't in any danger of becoming a police state, Harvey's split personality will lead to him beating mercenaries to death with his bare hands and almost pride in the fact his face is mutilated. He tries to hide the injury but at the same time becomes increasingly de-sensitised to what other people think, allowing it to bleed through his facial prosthetic and beginning to feel proud about it. When he catches Selina and Bruce together his split personality starts demanding he asserts himself as the man in what he thinks is his and Selina's relationship, attacking out of jealousy.

What surprised me is that absolutely none of this is played for laughs. It's a very tragic portrayal of the condition, helped along by his fantastic voice acting.

I believe that Harvey beating the merc to death is determined by if you help him or Montoya first when the Children launch the attacks on them both. He kills the merc if you help Montoya first, or at least he did in mine and his face wasn't scarred.

As to his reaction when he catches Bruce and Selina, I think that's also determined by more than his face as his reaction seemed more like your second description in my game while, again, being unscarred.

Episode 3 really made me excited for the rest of the episodes because it became clear that Telltale is just gleefully playing with everyone's assumptions with how the Batman mythos is going to play out and it's great

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been playing the Mad Max game and man the animation work is really great. Max will almost unconsciously touch his shotgun to make sure it's still there while running. And the fire and explosions look amazing. They fill tunnels realistically and kinda woosh around your car when you drive through them.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sunswipe posted:

Alpha Protocol: if you've got a bad enough reputation with him, you can get Marburg so angry that he doesn't leave when he starts losing the fight and you can kill him. What I love is that in earlier conversations, he goes on about how you and he are the same so you should respect what he says. Now you lay a verbal smackdown on him explaining exactly why he's a piece of poo poo and nothing more than a lackey. It's one of the few instances in any work of fiction I can think of where the villain does the "We're not so different, you and I" speech and the hero actually calls him on his bullshit.

"I will end you, Thorton."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nuebot posted:

Except for the part where it's entirely RNG, so you can potentially never ever even get one you can use. On top of that it costs Silver Dust to apply them. You only get Silver Dust by dismantling these same cosmetic items. So even if you do get one you can use, it will take you several weeks to be able to use it. Some even require more than one of the cosmetic item. So if you finally get your fancy fire ornament? Too bad, you actually need two for each piece of armor. It's kind of a bullshit system. As a whole, yeah selling cosmetics who cares. But they're selling them in a really skeevy way that even the whales aren't really comfortable with anymore.

For what it's worth (not much), the Dust requirement is being removed from armor. Not from weaponry, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Nobody knew because Saladin kept it secret and everyone else who fought against it was dead (or Efrideet), and this was hundreds of years before the start of the game.

The game is pretty clear about this. Whether it's great writing or not doesn't change that there is an explanation.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

a kitten posted:

The first time in Drogma when my pawn came back and she new where a quest was and took off running yelling "follow me!" while i had no idea where to go.

gently caress i love that game.

One of my friends is playing Dragon's Dogma for the first time and her pawn came back recently with "Knowledge of Fighting Death".

Confused the heck out of her :v:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One of my friends used to use a handle that was something like "Twelve Angry Hippos" which always made me laugh during FPS matches :allears:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nuebot posted:

After reading the codex entries the Cabal became my favorite faction. My favorite one is the one where a squad of cabal are just losing their poo poo because they can't kill guardians and they're complaining about how ghosts just keep reviving them no matter how many times they get shot, but they can't figure out how to kill the ghosts.

I always kinda feel a little sorry for the Cabal. Everyone else uses what is almost literally space magic to amp up their abilities and their tech and the Cabal are just big dudes with big guns and big tanks and they really have no idea how to deal with the war they've stumbled into, but they were almost managing to cope.

And then the Taken King showed up and sent them completely off the rails.

I also love that they have no concept of ghosts, so their term for the Guardian's Ghost is literally "Dead Person".

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Mass Effect: Andromeda definitely has its issues but there are so many neat little things in it. The way the rain pools and drips off your armor looks great, and if you pan planets around in the scanner you can see the thin layer of atmosphere highlighted against the system's sun, and it's a different color depending on what the planet's atmosphere is supposed to be composed of.

I also love that the visitable planets hold pretty true to space opera cliches: an ice world, two different kinds of desert worlds (one sandy with a giant death worm and one that's more rocky), a pirate planet, a jungle planet filled with ruins, a low-gravity planet where you can bounce around in your moon buggy...

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

poptart_fairy posted:

So in Friday the 13th, you can grab the sweater from Jason's Mother's corpse. If you're a female Counselor you can then put the sweater on and use it to stun Jason - he takes a swing at them and they command him to stop, or use a soothing voice to make him lower his guard. If you're playing as Jason when this happens you hear the Counselor's voice as Mother's, becoming increasingly distorted as the stun begins to wear off.

Counselors never hear Mother talking so it's great they went for that little extra bit of detail.

Not only that, but doing so is essential for killing Jason

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Agent355 posted:

I picked up recruit and have just been the FNG through the tutorial and I'm dumped in the middle east now.

So at some point I'm going to get a choice of missions and I should just pop into each one for the introduction and then do w/e the gently caress I want with my idiot character? Got it.

Don't make decisions lightly. There's at least one in the Middle East that will directly affect what ending and final boss you can/will get.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Nuebot posted:

Yellow devil is a monster and deserves the pause spam every time.

I got Mega Man 1 back when it first released and it took me something like 14 years to beat. I had to beat Yellow Demon legit as I'd never heard of the electrical glitch.

I feel like after the platforms in Guts Man's stage, Yellow Demon is kind of a breeze.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin for the first time and it has so many little touches that are great. The crafting system is fun and occasionally produces some moments of "Yeah, that makes sense". You can put nails (Nine Inch Nails, specifically :v: ) in your boots to make yourself immune to slipping on ice. Combining a sword and a whetstone increases the sword's damage. Combining a knife and a pumpkin produces....a jack'o'lantern helmet.

You can get a skills that lets you talk to animals and they all have something to say. Rats in dungeons usually know how to solve the dungeon's trick, rabbits are super-chill Brits, cows are always adorable. Sometimes they even give you sidequests!

A big little thing that more games really need to do is if someone dies, their stuff is no longer flagged as stolen. Certain characters start out as NPCs in town and end up going hostile as the plot progresses and once you take care of them you can freely raid their stuff. Looking at you here, Elder Scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zinkraptor posted:

It gives you a good opening to take advantage of the fact that THEIR KIND HATES ICE AND FIRE BOTH

Favorite little thing in Dragons Dogma - all the dumb crap that your allies will yell. It's somehow more endearing than annoying.

:byodood: WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS!