Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

scamtank posted:

The bit in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Pliskin feels a little faint is a perfectly authentic hypotension attack.

The gray-out makes your eyes sorta glaze over, a strong electric tingling passes up your spine and through your head, knocking out your sense of balance and making your ears buzz like static. You briefly lose motor control and go limp as the faint spell peaks out and passes a few seconds later. If it's not bad enough to actually knock you out, the most instinctive reaction is to gently break your fall by stumbling into a sitting position before you lose all control.

His skin tone also becomes much paler, since he's lost a lot of blood.

It's not too long afterwards that you can spot him running between the struts in a cardboard box, frighten him by shooting it, then calling him to say how much of a loser someone hiding in a cardboard box must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

cowboythreespeech posted:

anyway, I just found out that taunting in God Hand actually has a purpose other than making me feel like a big man: if an enemy is in range, they get heated up (i.e. they charge you and are super aggressive for a brief moment), and it also raises your tension gauge and difficulty level! No more 1.5 ratio for me. (is that ever mentioned in a tutorial and I missed it?)

It's also great for separating single enemies from a pack, so long as you know roughly what distance enemies will notice you when taunting. If you screw up, you can usually run away until they go back to their original positions.

Anyway, you want to defeat enemies while at a high level, because at the end of each chapter it tallies them up and gives a higher bonus for the higher difficulties. You also get penalties for dying and for letting other people die, like the guy bitten by a poison chihuahua, but it's never that much you lose.

It's a shame there's no new game+, where you can play through with all your late-game abilities, since the only thing that carries over are the unlockable costumes. You get them all automatically when you beat the game, and they are Ryu, Devil Hand, and Mr. Gold/Mr. Silver for Gene, and a bunny outfit for Olivia.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah Bro posted:

It's been a while since I've played god hand, but I am pretty sure that playing through after completing the game lets you buy all the late game abilities from the beginning, which isn't exactly the same as ng+ but is close enough.

Oh, that's cool. I played the PS2 version and the one released on PSN a few times, but I guess I didn't notice that all the abilities were for sale. Hopefully all the arena challenges are available from the start, because they're a good way of making money early on.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Was playing Metal Gear Solid 3 HD last night and noticed something new - while in the torture scene you can see the Sorrow holding up a note to dial a certain frequency - you use it to escape from your cell afterwards.

Prior to the torture scene, though, you're talking to Sokolov and there's some blueprints/schematics in the background. Something I've only noticed in the HD version? That same frequency is clear as day on the blueprints. I wonder if it was always there and only updating the textures made it legible?

Since I was so eager to use it before I forgot the frequency, I called it as soon as gameplay resumed, which was after Johnny puts you in the jail cell. What I didn't know was that it would cause the door to just swing open, while he was still looking at me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Raiden's Japanese voice is really deep too, which probably made the deception at the start of the Plant chapter more convincing. I wouldn't have his voice any other way in Revengeance, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wonder if the aviators I modded in are lore-friendly.

I heard you can get that effect if you use the boots of blinding speed in Morrowind with a high magic resistance.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chard posted:

Also forced us to confront the primary question, how do parrots taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Play Vanquish. Robots react wildly differently to various bits being shot off, including their IFF systems malfunctioning when they're decapitated and shooting friend and foe alike.

My favorite is when the grunt robots lose their legs or weapon arm, they deliberately overheat their reactor and charge you before they detonate.

Unfortunately, you can't stop them with a melee attack when they're in that state, because you die as soon as they touch you. You either need to take off the last of their health with a weapon, or wait for them to detonate automatically.

I love that even the most basic enemies have something that can catch you off-guard.

That Fucking Sned has a new favorite as of 18:15 on May 20, 2015